Weymouth pot their manager

Cardbattery
Posts: 232
Joined: Sun May 12, 2019 7:52 pm
Has thanked: 5 times

Re: Weymouth pot their manager

Post by Cardbattery » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:33 pm

Some people on here were predicting sub 1000 crowds, which surprisingly hasn’t happened

Red and White Army
Posts: 3196
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:53 pm
Has thanked: 65 times
Been thanked: 41 times

Re: Weymouth pot their manager

Post by Red and White Army » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:43 pm

Cardbattery wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:33 pm
Some people on here were predicting sub 1000 crowds, which surprisingly hasn’t happened
No one predicted sub 1000 crowds v Dover or Aldershot though did they?

It’s the Wealdstone and Yeovil ones which will be a truer indication.

Kingfield Ender
Posts: 6599
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:48 am
Has thanked: 464 times
Been thanked: 404 times

Re: Weymouth pot their manager

Post by Kingfield Ender » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:56 pm

Depends how many free tickets are given out
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

AshWFC
Posts: 598
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:59 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Weymouth pot their manager

Post by AshWFC » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:14 pm

I said we'd get around 4k for the Shots home game (and 5-6k between it and Dover) and was told where to go... The premise that the manager should be sacked asap due to poor attendances has conspicuously morphed since, but I'm sure it'll be back. Why that should be barometer of any decision made anyway doesn't really stand up for me but apparently that was the be all before Xmas...

Before Dowse, Glenn Cockerill had the best attendance record since I've watched us and he also produced some of the worst football I've watched at Kingfield. That said, his sides were mostly decent defensively across a season.

When there weren't any crowds last season, the theory was still that playing attacking football ought to be prioritised over the results it achieved, even when we had a chronic lack of anything resembling a good striker post-Davison. I don't know where the argument goes next but, within reason, I think I care even less about what a sponsor thinks of any Woking manager's playing/management style than those who post on here.

Wafflebutt
Posts: 1368
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:54 pm
Has thanked: 72 times
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: Weymouth pot their manager

Post by Wafflebutt » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:28 pm

At the end if the day a manager should be judged on results. We are not far off where we should be in the league are we? But we can't seem to buy a win combined with a couple of quite frankly awful displays (normally in the last 15 minutes). Some of the reasons I have seen given for him to leave come across as a bit desperate.
I'm neither here nor there about wether he should go or not before the likes of Muller rice, strawberry JAM or KElloggs start banging on about something I have not said.

Red and White Army
Posts: 3196
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:53 pm
Has thanked: 65 times
Been thanked: 41 times

Re: Weymouth pot their manager

Post by Red and White Army » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:29 pm

AshWFC wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:14 pm
I said we'd get around 4k for the Shots home game (and 5-6k between it and Dover) and was told where to go... The premise that the manager should be sacked asap due to poor attendances has conspicuously morphed since, but I'm sure it'll be back. Why that should be barometer of any decision made anyway doesn't really stand up for me but apparently that was the be all before Xmas...
Because lower attendances leads to less income. Surely that’s self explanatory?

AshWFC
Posts: 598
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:59 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Weymouth pot their manager

Post by AshWFC » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:33 pm

Garry Hill's attendances were often not great at all (Cockerill's were better, Dowse's currently are much better) but he's imho been our best manager since the turn of the century.

And in terms of defenders being 'thrilling' signings: the last day I genuinely thought we had a shot at promotion to the FL was probably the day Ismail Yakubu got crocked.

Wafflebutt
Posts: 1368
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:54 pm
Has thanked: 72 times
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: Weymouth pot their manager

Post by Wafflebutt » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:35 pm

Red and White Army wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:29 pm
AshWFC wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:14 pm
I said we'd get around 4k for the Shots home game (and 5-6k between it and Dover) and was told where to go... The premise that the manager should be sacked asap due to poor attendances has conspicuously morphed since, but I'm sure it'll be back. Why that should be barometer of any decision made anyway doesn't really stand up for me but apparently that was the be all before Xmas...
Because lower attendances leads to less income. Surely that’s self explanatory?

Poor Attendances can't be blamed on one specific thing unfortunately, unless (pick your own number) specifically didnt attend and made it apparent why.

Card Sharp
Posts: 2155
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:50 pm
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: Weymouth pot their manager

Post by Card Sharp » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:38 pm

AshWFC wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:33 pm
Garry Hill's attendances were often not great at all (Cockerill's were better, Dowse's currently are much better) but he's imho been our best manager since the turn of the century.

And in terms of defenders being 'thrilling' signings: the last day I genuinely thought we had a shot at promotion to the FL was probably the day Ismail Yakubu got crocked.
Yakubu getting crocked....sad days. Such a great defender. Literally leagues above what we have now.

Our attendances, this season, are boosted by the great work done off the pitch and free tickets. Let's not relate on the pitch with off the pitch.

darreng
Posts: 780
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:39 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Weymouth pot their manager

Post by darreng » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:55 pm

Kingfield Ender wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:56 pm
Depends how many free tickets are given out
450 given to GPR alone for Wealdstone.

LondonCard
Posts: 306
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:39 pm
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: Weymouth pot their manager

Post by LondonCard » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:10 pm

Is there any way of knowing how many free tickets the club have given out per match? How many matches has the club given free tickets to local clubs, schools etc?

Card Sharp
Posts: 2155
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:50 pm
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: Weymouth pot their manager

Post by Card Sharp » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:36 pm

LondonCard wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:10 pm
Is there any way of knowing how many free tickets the club have given out per match? How many matches has the club given free tickets to local clubs, schools etc?
I don't have an issue with free tickets being given out as such. If it was a measure of how successful we are on the pitch, why was 2 seasons ago 500 or more down? The answer is obvious. Even the happy clappers know.

That season Dowse did what he said he'd do. Last season and this, he hasn't. Fact.

I think it's great we are giving out free tickets to people who wouldn't ordinarily come and then spend money on food, drink, merch. Ultimately, our off the pitch offering is a league above our on the pitch.

LondonCard
Posts: 306
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:39 pm
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: Weymouth pot their manager

Post by LondonCard » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:40 pm

Card Sharp wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:36 pm
LondonCard wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:10 pm
Is there any way of knowing how many free tickets the club have given out per match? How many matches has the club given free tickets to local clubs, schools etc?
I don't have an issue with free tickets being given out as such. If it was a measure of how successful we are on the pitch, why was 2 seasons ago 500 or more down? The answer is obvious. Even the happy clappers know.

That season Dowse did what he said he'd do. Last season and this, he hasn't. Fact.

I think it's great we are giving out free tickets to people who wouldn't ordinarily come and then spend money on food, drink, merch. Ultimately, our off the pitch offering is a league above our on the pitch.
And your last paragraph will be the reason Katz is happy - it’s all about the bottom line, regardless of the dross being served up on the pitch. Let’s be honest - it’s not a love for non league football!!

Nonsense Potter
Posts: 4143
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:22 am
Has thanked: 128 times
Been thanked: 397 times

Re: Weymouth pot their manager

Post by Nonsense Potter » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:05 pm

Kingfield Ender wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:56 pm
Depends how many free tickets are given out
We’ve given out free tickets for as long as I can remember. No change for this season.
Scorer of possibly the greatest goal in the history of the Woking FC Supporters' team

kansasCard
Posts: 3764
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:38 pm
Location: Overland Park. Kansas
Has thanked: 224 times
Been thanked: 188 times
Contact:

Re: Weymouth pot their manager

Post by kansasCard » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:14 pm

oakie wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:32 pm
Clearly, results affect attendances and revenue, but it feels like record sponsorships, in-house catering revenues, fan zone, increased match day spend, merchandise sales etc. are all making a positive contribution in that regard off the field. In addition, average Home League attendances are 2,737 (7th highest) & ahead of 2019-20 season (2,139) with Notts Co, Southend, Torquay & Wrexham all likely to bring decent away followings still to visit Kingfield.
Maybe we should bin the football and turn Kingfield into a fekkin big Chuck E Cheese.
Toto, I have a feeling we're in Kansas....

Kingfield Ender
Posts: 6599
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:48 am
Has thanked: 464 times
Been thanked: 404 times

Re: Weymouth pot their manager

Post by Kingfield Ender » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:15 pm

Probably attracts sponsors
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

LondonCard
Posts: 306
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:39 pm
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: Weymouth pot their manager

Post by LondonCard » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:36 pm

Why don’t we look at getting a Ferris wheel and dodgems near the fan zone then none of us have to endure the football and Katz will make more money - win win!

Card Sharp
Posts: 2155
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:50 pm
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: Weymouth pot their manager

Post by Card Sharp » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:05 pm

Nonsense Potter wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:05 pm
Kingfield Ender wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:56 pm
Depends how many free tickets are given out
We’ve given out free tickets for as long as I can remember. No change for this season.
No change giving out free tickets. More this season than any other? Do you genuinely believe more people are attending because of the quality of football? Haha Haha.

As a 'Share Holder' I understand your pro club stance, but you make StuWFC look credible.

GoldCard
Posts: 143
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:06 pm
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Weymouth pot their manager

Post by GoldCard » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:28 pm

Card Sharp wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:05 pm
Nonsense Potter wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:05 pm


We’ve given out free tickets for as long as I can remember. No change for this season.
No change giving out free tickets. More this season than any other? Do you genuinely believe more people are attending because of the quality of football? Haha Haha.

As a 'Share Holder' I understand your pro club stance, but you make StuWFC look credible.
Yes we have always given out free tickets (to kids football clubs, players mates etc) can't remember a season that club staff have gone into Woking town centre giving out free tickets the week before a match or sponsors being given a wad of tickets to hand out to customers . However as mentioned earlier in this thread if those people are then spending their cash in the club shop, fanzone etc then its a win win for Katz & Co as they're clearly not here for the football.

Red and White Army
Posts: 3196
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:53 pm
Has thanked: 65 times
Been thanked: 41 times

Re: Weymouth pot their manager

Post by Red and White Army » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:40 pm

Card Sharp wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:05 pm
Nonsense Potter wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:05 pm


We’ve given out free tickets for as long as I can remember. No change for this season.
No change giving out free tickets. More this season than any other? Do you genuinely believe more people are attending because of the quality of football? Haha Haha.

As a 'Share Holder' I understand your pro club stance, but you make StuWFC look credible.
Yeah, exactly. I’m sure we gave out 450 free tickets when we got attendances of under 1,000 under Garry🤥

Wafflebutt
Posts: 1368
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:54 pm
Has thanked: 72 times
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: Weymouth pot their manager

Post by Wafflebutt » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:50 pm

Omg please can the katz bashing stop. Oh no, he's figured out how to make some extra money for the club. What a terrible man he is.

Clearly he's here to make a couple of quid out of non league fans and that's all... clearly.

Anyone want to say there have been no digs about katz now? 2 in this thread that I can be arsed to count.
And all because the man won't sack dowse! Jeez get a grip.

Card Sharp
Posts: 2155
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:50 pm
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: Weymouth pot their manager

Post by Card Sharp » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:03 pm

Wafflebutt wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:50 pm
Omg please can the katz bashing stop. Oh no, he's figured out how to make some extra money for the club. What a terrible man he is.

Clearly he's here to make a couple of quid out of non league fans and that's all... clearly.

Anyone want to say there have been no digs about katz now? 2 in this thread that I can be arsed to count.
And all because the man won't sack dowse! Jeez get a grip.
No one is complaining about Katz getting more money in the club! You have a complex. Suggest counselling? ;-)

It's a good thing. Off the pitch we are doing good things.

Wafflebutt
Posts: 1368
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:54 pm
Has thanked: 72 times
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: Weymouth pot their manager

Post by Wafflebutt » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:54 pm

Card Sharp wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:03 pm
Wafflebutt wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:50 pm
Omg please can the katz bashing stop. Oh no, he's figured out how to make some extra money for the club. What a terrible man he is.

Clearly he's here to make a couple of quid out of non league fans and that's all... clearly.

Anyone want to say there have been no digs about katz now? 2 in this thread that I can be arsed to count.
And all because the man won't sack dowse! Jeez get a grip.
No one is complaining about Katz getting more money in the club! You have a complex. Suggest counselling? ;-)

It's a good thing. Off the pitch we are doing good things.

All I can suggest is you read the thread. If you can't see it I don't know what to say.
I do need counselling though, it used to be the football that got me through the week!

Texas Dave
Posts: 675
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:14 am
Location: North Dallas
Has thanked: 72 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Weymouth pot their manager

Post by Texas Dave » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:06 am

kansasCard wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:14 pm
oakie wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:32 pm
Clearly, results affect attendances and revenue, but it feels like record sponsorships, in-house catering revenues, fan zone, increased match day spend, merchandise sales etc. are all making a positive contribution in that regard off the field. In addition, average Home League attendances are 2,737 (7th highest) & ahead of 2019-20 season (2,139) with Notts Co, Southend, Torquay & Wrexham all likely to bring decent away followings still to visit Kingfield.
Maybe we should bin the football and turn Kingfield into a fekkin big Chuck E Cheese.
i knew who had written this even before i looked. Are Woking doing biscuits and gravy yet?
Nos facere ad eos, antequam facias nobis

AshWFC
Posts: 598
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:59 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Weymouth pot their manager

Post by AshWFC » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:35 am

Card Sharp wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:36 pm
I think it's great we are giving out free tickets to people who wouldn't ordinarily come and then spend money on food, drink, merch. Ultimately, our off the pitch offering is a league above our on the pitch.
Is it yet, though? I actually strongly agree with your points CS but perhaps not the conclusions you reach. I think it's still pretty early days on both fronts. We've been full-time for six months, and only just hit double figures home fixtures since said changes, and yet two weeks ago it was the same narrative of full-time failing, attendances about to fall off a cliff, etc. People still complain weekly about the matchday offering (queues, being ripped off, beer, etc) and regarding board-level management of the club. I don't necessarily agree with much of that, but to me it's simply counter-intuitive to argue we need to give away 500 or more free tickets to make up for a deficit of attendances/matchday revenue due to crap football (that said if they are mostly for sponsors we're ahead on the deal) but also say we're all of a sudden leagues ahead off the pitch.

It doesn't add up: I don't think it's just home on-pitch form that isn't the finished article. You say don't relate on and off the pitch, but one side of the coin can lead the other (I'd double down and say Dowse's first two seasons on the pitch probably led us forward off it more than any other time I've followed us - Garry Hill's first two being the only comparison - and has a lot to do with why we're all so frustrated about said results since).


Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chobham Card and 28 guests

Cardboard

Cardsboard.co.uk is not an official message board of Woking Football Club or The Cards Trust, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Please be warned that some posts will contain swear words.

Vanarama National League Club Forums: Aldershot Town | Altrincham | Barnet | Bromley | Chesterfield | Dagenham & Redbridge | Dover Athletic | Eastleigh | FC Halifax Town | Grimsby Town | King's Lynn Town | Maidenhead United | Notts County | Solihull Moors | Southend United | Stockport County | Torquay United | Wealdstone | Weymouth | Wrexham

Unofficial League Forums: The Conference Forum

Other Links: Cards Trust - Boost the Budget | wokingfc.co.uk | Surrey Advertiser | Woking News and Mail | BBC Sport - Woking | BBC Football Commentaries