Your Personal Woking Hall of Fame

Kingfield Ender

Your Personal Woking Hall of Fame

Post by Kingfield Ender » Tue May 04, 2021 10:09 am

In a bid to become a little more happy clappy than of late, regardless of your time supporting this great club, if you were to write down your top 5 players and 5 honourable mentions since you've been watching who would they be, and of course feel free to add in why.

I'll go for

1. Lloyd Wye - Played against him at school level, fantastic player, fantastic bloke and as 'Mr Woking' as you could ever get. Intergral part of our side from the early days of BFG in Division 2 South all the way through to our greatest FA Cup games and Wembley Wins
2. Tim Buzaglo - What else can you say about him that hasnt been written?. My main reason was that he scored the goal to secure our first ever league title at Whyteleafe in May 1987
3. Trevor Baron - Very cultured centre back, way ahead of his time and should have played in the pro game, amazing bloke who still regularly attends and has time for everyone he recognises
4. Dereck Brown - 'We've got Dereck Brown, YES' Just a shame we didnt have him for 10-15 years
5. Mark Biggins - Mercurial talent, sublime dribbler, wind up merchant and scorer of great goals

Honourable mentions to : Laurence Batty, Shane Wye, Steve Foster, Colin Caulfield and Scott Steele
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

Cardsfan

Re: Your Personal Woking Hall of Fame

Post by Cardsfan » Tue May 04, 2021 10:38 am

To avoid duplication

Eggie James
Tony Martin
Chris Sharpling
Kevin Betsy
Maurice Cox

(But really the same as KE)
Woking FC: Purveyors of outstanding highs and lows to me since 1978.
Https://www.oldfootballgames.co.uk always looking to buy old football games.
Best prices paid for old Woking FC programmes. Please get in touch if you have any to sell 1920s to 1960s.

Bertie

Post by Bertie » Tue May 04, 2021 10:42 am

Mark Biggins - Wind up merchant

Just imagine Josh Casey and Mark Biggins being in the same team

Luxembourg Card

Post by Luxembourg Card » Tue May 04, 2021 10:42 am

Couldn't really dispute that top 5, would probably be mine too.

To think they all played in the same team, those late 80s early 90s days really were a golden era beyond belief compared to the early 80s that are being discussed in the other thread.

Honourable mentions for Alan Morton, Scott Steele, Shane Wye, Laurence Batty and Steve Thompson.

SolidBond13

Post by SolidBond13 » Tue May 04, 2021 10:51 am

Kingfield Ender wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:09 am
In a bid to become a little more happy clappy than of late, regardless of your time supporting this great club, if you were to write down your top 5 players and 5 honourable mentions since you've been watching who would they be, and of course feel free to add in why.

I'll go for

1. Lloyd Wye - Played against him at school level, fantastic player, fantastic bloke and as 'Mr Woking' as you could ever get. Intergral part of our side from the early days of BFG in Division 2 South all the way through to our greatest FA Cup games and Wembley Wins
2. Tim Buzaglo - What else can you say about him that hasnt been written?. My main reason was that he scored the goal to secure our first ever league title at Whyteleafe in May 1987
3. Trevor Baron - Very cultured centre back, way ahead of his time and should have played in the pro game, amazing bloke who still regularly attends and has time for everyone he recognises
4. Dereck Brown - 'We've got Dereck Brown, YES' Just a shame we didnt have him for 10-15 years
5. Mark Biggins - Mercurial talent, sublime dribbler, wind up merchant and scorer of great goals

Honourable mentions to : Laurence Batty, Shane Wye, Steve Foster, Colin Caulfield and Scott Steele
Completely agree with the sentiment and content of this post. Bravo.

No arguing with these choices, but I give you..
JOHN CASSIDY
TONY MARTIN
LOU MARCIELLO
EMEKA NWAJIOBI
BIG DAVE LANSLEY
FRANK PARSONS
STEWART MITCHELL
LES BARRETT
PAUL MULVANEY

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Tue May 04, 2021 10:53 am

John Cassidy and Paul Mulvaney are superb shouts !!!

GlenH

Post by GlenH » Tue May 04, 2021 10:54 am

Only been a regular since around 2006/07 so mine looks a bit different and will probably get a few eye rolls. Top five in no particular order would be - Giuseppe Sole, Kevin Betsy, Mark Ricketts, Joe McNerney, Elvis Hammond.

Wafflebutt

Post by Wafflebutt » Tue May 04, 2021 10:59 am

Can't really disagree with you Ender so have chosen mine based on purely selfish or good memory reasons.

Tommy Hutchinson - how we could do with him now.
Goma lambu - if for no other reason the the "whats that coming over the hill" chant
Neil Smith - a friend who supplied me with his tickets if his dad wasn't using them, plus he's a top bloke.
Ian selley - created more time on the ball than anyone I've ever seen.
Clive walker - he's Clive walker

Edit... how did I forget gez, Top 6 then sorry

djspeak

Post by djspeak » Tue May 04, 2021 11:02 am

surely Clive Walker?

jonwoozley

Post by jonwoozley » Tue May 04, 2021 11:19 am

John Cassidy's 25 yarders.
Mark Dawber was quite a player. Didn't he get a good move but then did bugger all.
Maurice Cox was prolific before Buz.
Big D!
And some donkey called Youlton.
Andy Russell
George Friel
Then we became famous.
Dual meditates,
Multa pecunia.

Kanu's Nan

Post by Kanu's Nan » Tue May 04, 2021 11:20 am

Jinky
Lol
Clive
Gez
Betsy

Honourable mentions for Innsy, Elvis, Faulconbridge, Gary Mac & Ricko.
self appointed protector of the downtrodden

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Tue May 04, 2021 11:26 am

Kingfield Ender wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:09 am

I'll go for

Covered this thread in the opening post really.

I’d substitute Dave Collyer for Colin Caulfield personally.

The Honourable Mentions list would have to be stretched to include Kevan Brown, Clive Walker, Andy Ellis and Steve Thompson.
Looking forward to see everyone again at Kingfield, soon.
Some interesting conversations will be had.

SussexSeasider

Post by SussexSeasider » Tue May 04, 2021 11:30 am

This is a good subject to discuss over a pint or two. KE & KN can’t disagree with either of those. Hard to choose just 5

moorsie

Post by moorsie » Tue May 04, 2021 11:41 am

1. Tim Buzaglo: a natural finisher - West Brom, enough said.
2. Clive Walker: A match winner, who could turn a game, and frequently did.
3. Steve Thompson: Everything you want from a midfield player; great energy, box-to-box, tenacious and hard working. Coventry away - enough said.
4. Kevin Betsy: Was superb in his first spell, albeit it wasn’t very long. But to then come back to the club again and play like he did under GH, was incredible. It could easily have backfired, but it didn’t. He was total class, and had a fantastic attitude and will to win.
5. Steve Foster: A Rolls Royce of a centre-half. Could do everything and made it all look so simple. Millwall at home, enough said.

wokingcardinal

Post by wokingcardinal » Tue May 04, 2021 11:45 am

Did nobody ever see Ade Cowler play???

PatsWFC

Post by PatsWFC » Tue May 04, 2021 11:52 am

1. Mark Biggins
2. Clive Walker
3. Mark Ricketts
4. Lol Batty
5. Kevin Betsy

Nonsense Potter

Post by Nonsense Potter » Tue May 04, 2021 12:04 pm

PatsWFC wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:52 am
1. Mark Biggins
2. Clive Walker
3. Mark Ricketts
4. Lol Batty
5. Kevin Betsy
As we’re similar age and you’ve been going for as long as I can remember - all of yours would be top ten for me.

Biggins - literally the person I think of when someone asks why you love football.
Baron - based on distant memories, he never lost a header and didn’t ever get beaten one on one.
Brown (D) - could do everything and was just a class above anyone else
Foster - for a short while, it was like we had someone destined for the PL on board - so dominant.
Betsy - again, for a short while, but in his first spell he was so exciting. To come back and fire us to promotion, then become the best player in the Conference, was a dream ending.
Scorer of possibly the greatest goal in the history of the Woking FC Supporters' team

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Tue May 04, 2021 12:06 pm

Woking Cardinal, can't forget Adie Cowler but does he get in my top ten ?, not quite. Nor did Gez but they'd certainly make the top 15

Would be interested to hear the views of some of those who have been here for 10 years or less

Bertie

Post by Bertie » Tue May 04, 2021 12:09 pm

wokingcardinal wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:45 am
The only time I think he ever made it into the opposition half was, of all places, The Hawthorns

Mingus

Post by Mingus » Tue May 04, 2021 12:26 pm

jonwoozley wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:19 am
John Cassidy's 25 yarders.
Mark Dawber was quite a player. Didn't he get a good move but then did bugger all.
Maurice Cox was prolific before Buz.
Big D!
And some donkey called Youlton.
Andy Russell
George Friel
Then we became famous.
I think Mark Dawber went to Wycombe Wanderers halfway through the 86-87 season. He was great at our level, but maybe lacked the physicality for the GM Vauxhall Conference.

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Tue May 04, 2021 12:53 pm

wokingcardinal wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:45 am
What a shout!
No pace but read a game better than anyone else, always ahead of the game.
Woking FC: Purveyors of outstanding highs and lows to me since 1978.
Https://www.oldfootballgames.co.uk always looking to buy old football games.
Best prices paid for old Woking FC programmes. Please get in touch if you have any to sell 1920s to 1960s.

AshWFC

Post by AshWFC » Tue May 04, 2021 1:29 pm

Betsy, Sole, Selley, and Ricketts kind of stand apart for me in terms of players I saw enough of to be club legends in my time of watching. Feel like in terms of the last two decades they're a bit of a class apart... I'd probably have Kieran Murtagh, Jon Boardman, Joe Mc, and Craig Ross among the next rung. Honourable mentions from more distant visits to Kingfield: Sharpling, of course, Grant Payne (surprised he hasn't had a mention)... and I remember seeing Steele (difficult to forget even as a wee lad), Brown, and Batty at least a few times when I was probably no more than 10.

wokingcardinal

Post by wokingcardinal » Tue May 04, 2021 1:43 pm

Kingfield Ender wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:06 pm
Woking Cardinal, can't forget Adie Cowler but does he get in my top ten ?, not quite. Nor did Gez but they'd certainly make the top 15

Would be interested to hear the views of some of those who have been here for 10 years or less
Not sure Gez would make a top 20, I can't believe someone mentioned Friel and a few Ricko!!?? The clue is in "legends" Ricko a very decent player, Friel had one(?) Good season if my memory serves me right, Legends have to be very very special players, I can't think of many of those in the last few years.

Kanu's Nan

Post by Kanu's Nan » Tue May 04, 2021 1:45 pm

wokingcardinal wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:43 pm
Kingfield Ender wrote:

Not sure Gez would make a top 20, I can't believe someone mentioned Friel and a few Ricko!!?? The clue is in "legends" Ricko a very decent player, Friel had one(?) Good season if my memory serves me right, Legends have to be very very special players, I can't think of many of those in the last few years.
The OP didn't use the word legend!
self appointed protector of the downtrodden

Wafflebutt

Post by Wafflebutt » Tue May 04, 2021 1:58 pm

wokingcardinal wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:43 pm
Kingfield Ender wrote:

Personal hall of fame, otherwise I would never have mentioned goma lambu:)