Spasov and Lofthouse loans extended

Chobham Card

Re: Spasov and Lofthouse loans extended

Post by Chobham Card » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:23 pm

Lofthouse's stock has slowly grown as the seasons gone on, despite the difficulties. Slavi was brilliant early on but has struggled in recent weeks - like all our forwards. Pleased both are back.

Ashcard

Post by Ashcard » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:33 pm

Well after our recent struggles, here's hoping we go to a 442 with Slavi partnering Davison up top. Would be nice to see an actual shot at goal at some point.

Stoo

Post by Stoo » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:51 pm

Glad to see Lofthouse stay.
Not a fan of Spasov I'm afraid. I find it depressing that one so young dives so much.

KT15 Card

Post by KT15 Card » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:07 pm

Stoo wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:51 pm
Not a fan of Spasov I'm afraid. I find it depressing that one so young dives so much.
Does that mean you're not a fan of Josh Casey too? :o)

Stoo

Post by Stoo » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:35 pm

KT15 Card wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:07 pm
Stoo wrote:
That's a fair question, and I'm going to be a bit hypocritical in my reply.

When Casey does it, he's trapped in the corner with nowhere to go and it's the perfect result.
Slavi seems to do it at every opportunity, even when there are better options.

But you make a fair point, maybe I'm too harsh on the lad.

AndyT

Post by AndyT » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:40 pm

KT15 Card wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:07 pm
Stoo wrote:
Stoo did state the caveat of 'one so young' ;o)

I quite like Spasov and unlike some I think he's done okay in recent weeks and scored a couple of decent goals. HOWEVER as Stoo has mentioned the ease that he goes down does disappoint me and the fact he went down far too easily earlier in the season seems to have got him a reputation now as recently he hasn't been getting free kicks when he has been fouled.

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:10 pm

Loza loves a dive as well.

Imagine a front 4 of Casey, Spasov, Hodges and Loza....

KT15 Card

Post by KT15 Card » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:54 pm

Fair points. I have noticed him go down a few times when we are close to the opposition box and we have options on (not recently as we don't bother to attack).

I do like him as a player though and think he's doing well for us for a guy who's never played mens football. He's definitely an upgrade on Ben Pattie or makoma!

kansasCard

Post by kansasCard » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:33 pm

any forward who prefers to go down rather than take on a defender and put them under pressure is a silly boy. I hate the way diving came into the game. Started in Italy (where a good friend of mine played at a very decent level).. He said they would spend hours practicing diving. And Casey doesn't dive he gets mercilessly hacked down.
This space intentionally left blank

Waverley

Post by Waverley » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:07 pm

Spasov does need telling to stay on his feet. Looks like it's been coached into him and needs coached back out. He did improve matters when he came on in the festive fiasco week but that's not saying much.

Since85

Post by Since85 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:46 pm

I’m obviously not a football coach/manager but I just don’t see Spasov to be our goal scoring problem solver. Maybe we are treading water until we are full time offering decent contracts but we need an experienced mobile goal scorer with 20 in his tank. I moaned about Hyde but seeing our toothless forward line in the past 6 matches I’ve changed my mind.

Glasto Card

Post by Glasto Card » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:27 pm

Since85 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:46 pm
I’m obviously not a football coach/manager but I just don’t see Spasov to be our goal scoring problem solver. Maybe we are treading water until we are full time offering decent contracts but we need an experienced mobile goal scorer with 20 in his tank. I moaned about Hyde but seeing our toothless forward line in the past 6 matches I’ve changed my mind.
So you moaned about Hyde, someone who has now gone on to another National League team and continues to score.

Now you are moaning about Spasov, Dowse obviously sees something in him as a player and maybe he doesn’t get the goals we crave as a fan but other something else to a team that still has limited funds, so perhaps you should let the manager manage.

Out of interest who would you have to score 20 goals a season that would fit within a budget and pay structure?

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:43 pm

Glasto Card wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:27 pm
Since85 wrote:
So you moaned about Hyde, someone who has now gone on to another National League team and continues to score.

Now you are moaning about Spasov, Dowse obviously sees something in him as a player and maybe he doesn’t get the goals we crave as a fan but other something else to a team that still has limited funds, so perhaps you should let the manager manage.

Out of interest who would you have to score 20 goals a season that would fit within a budget and pay structure?
Wassmer and Diarra up front together getting 10 goals each.

kansasCard

Post by kansasCard » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:03 pm

Glasto Card wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:27 pm
Since85 wrote:
I'd have coaxed a 39yr old Jon Parkin out of retirement and played him alongside Matt Rhead. I'd have no midfielders just four central defenders and four wing back whippets. Long ball dream.
This space intentionally left blank

AshWFC

Post by AshWFC » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:28 pm

Since85 wrote:
Jake Hyde will always be a bit of a legend here, for the Swindon and Wealdstone goals if nothing else... but you've just described a striker that is demonstrably not Jake Hyde. Mobile? ermm.... 20 goals? Not even close to getting 20 in a league season at any point in his career.

Slavi is only one goal off his total this season, and whilst he's featured in a few more games (albeit mostly as a sub) arguably has had less opportunity being stuck out on the wing.

I don't think Slavi is a brilliant centre forward yet by any means, but for a kid who's just turned 19 he's done better than alright, is the closest thing going forward we have to the 'elbowy bastard' that keeps being mentioned, and is only going to be better with more games.

WFC96

Post by WFC96 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:46 pm

AshWFC wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:28 pm
Since85 wrote:
Jake Hyde will always be a bit of a legend here, for the Swindon and Wealdstone goals if nothing else... but you've just described a striker that is demonstrably not Jake Hyde. Mobile? ermm.... 20 goals? Not even close to getting 20 in a league season at any point in his career.

Slavi is only one goal off his total this season, and whilst he's featured in a few more games (albeit mostly as a sub) arguably has had less opportunity being stuck out on the wing.

I don't think Slavi is a brilliant centre forward yet by any means, but for a kid who's just turned 19 he's done better than alright, is the closest thing going forward we have to the 'elbowy bastard' that keeps being mentioned, and is only going to be better with more games.
Hyde got 16 last season in a shortened season. Very poor take. If we could have, I’m sure Dowse would have done everything to keep Hyde.

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:09 pm

AshWFC wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:28 pm
Since85 wrote:

What are you on about? Hyde got 16 last season Spasov has 2 so far.

The only problem with Hyde is he’s made of biscuits (looks like he’s injured again) and automatically ruled out of any games on 3G.

KT15 Card

Post by KT15 Card » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:23 pm

Has 4 in 8 for Halifax this season and one was a sub appearance v us. Would like to think we would take a look at him next season if we are full time. Is he on a one year deal?

AshWFC

Post by AshWFC » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:08 pm

I don't buy the 'made of biscuits' line because he didn't miss too many games for us, but he is not mobile, nor good in the air, and will be 31 in the summer. Why would we bring him back, now, when he's signed a 2 year deal up north? Loza comes back on an 18 month deal and people are already moaning again because he hasn't scored for two or three games...

My point still stands - he doesn't really fit any of criteria of what people are saying we need in a centre forward, past having had one season at this level with a half decent goal return for us. He isn't even as much of an 'elbowy bastard' as Spasov.

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:16 pm

Official confirmation from us now - Dempsey and Lofthouse til the end of the season, Spasov for another month.

Davison conspicuously absent from this particular roll call?

Nonsense Potter

Post by Nonsense Potter » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:25 pm

Davison on his way to FGR according to an article by Clive Youlton. Jonte Smith potentially coming in.
Scorer of possibly the greatest goal in the history of the Woking FC Supporters' team

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:04 pm

I have it on authority that Wassamer was seen outside the club this afternoon.
Where’s he been playing?

Return of the King?

leoruby

Post by leoruby » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:47 pm

Spitfire wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:04 pm
I have it on authority that Wassamer was seen outside the club this afternoon.
Where’s he been playing?

Return of the King?
He's been at Hampton since Summer 19

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:05 pm

Nonsense Potter wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:25 pm
Davison on his way to FGR according to an article by Clive Youlton. Jonte Smith potentially coming in.
Can’t really blame him tbf.