government financial support

rosemaryj

government financial support

Post by rosemaryj » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:37 pm

There is much discussion in the news and elsewhere about possible financial support for non-league football.
It is clear that there are discussions taking place with ministers and as far as I am aware there is no amount agreed or as yet committed too.
To use a phrase discussions are on-going.
My purpose of this post is to say, we, as fans, can help and plead the case and the need for a decision within the next few days.
For those who are happy too please send an email to your MP and ask for their support for Government help for our league.
The MP for Woking has been very supportive and responsive and many of you will have your own MP - now is the time to email them and ask for their support for a financial package of support.
I know that MP's will listen and it is clear that gentle and polite pressure on the politicians of any party in the House of Commons would be very helpful.
For us, this is not about the Premier League or the EFL it is about National League and we need to keep our league in the political arena.
I always say that our fans are great and I know many of you will want to help and this would be a great way - that doesn't cost to support Woking and our league.
Rosemary

Chobham Card

Re: government financial support

Post by Chobham Card » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:33 pm

What are the most effective channels through which to vocalise our support?

rosemaryj

Post by rosemaryj » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:44 pm

If you go on-line and look up your MP they will have both a constituency office and also an email address. I would suggest email to them on their house of commons email address. With the COVID restrictions if you drop a letter through the constituency office it may be that it is not occupied every day - whereas all MP's will have someone who checks their email.
If you are not sure who your MP is, a google search with where you live should give you the name.

Any problems use the club email admin address and I will help as much as I can as I am currently picking up on that. People who know me well know that I have very limited IT skills - I don't even have a mobile phone! - but finding MP's is a skill that I do have!

Rosemary

SolidBond13

Post by SolidBond13 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:22 am

rosemaryj wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:44 pm
If you go on-line and look up your MP they will have both a constituency office and also an email address. I would suggest email to them on their house of commons email address. With the COVID restrictions if you drop a letter through the constituency office it may be that it is not occupied every day - whereas all MP's will have someone who checks their email.
If you are not sure who your MP is, a google search with where you live should give you the name.

Any problems use the club email admin address and I will help as much as I can as I am currently picking up on that. People who know me well know that I have very limited IT skills - I don't even have a mobile phone! - but finding MP's is a skill that I do have!

Rosemary
Thank you and the Board for all your hard work during these trying times. We’re lucky to have you.

darreng

Post by darreng » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:38 am

rosemaryj wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:44 pm

Rosemary
Link

https://members.parliament.uk/FindYourMP

Stoo

Post by Stoo » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:06 am

Duly sent to Jeremy Hunt.
I was very polite as well.

;-)

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:43 am

Stoo wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:06 am
Duly sent to Jeremy Hunt.
I was very polite as well.

;-)
Spelt with a C not an H Stoo....

Nico

Post by Nico » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:47 am

My MP and I correspond regularly - although she has only replied once before to my letters.

Still just emailed Angela Richardson angela.richardson.mp@parliament.uk to ask her to make representations

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:44 am

Nice article of massive self interest from the Solihull chairman who wants to start with no crowds but government support

'If not what's the point of people like me putting in £20,000, £30,000 or £40,000 per month into the club' he says.

I can answer that one for you fella
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

cardtrick

Post by cardtrick » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:13 am

Kingfield Ender wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:44 am
Nice article of massive self interest from the Solihull chairman who wants to start with no crowds but government support

'If not what's the point of people like me putting in £20,000, £30,000 or £40,000 per month into the club' he says.

Yeah exactly ! If we had his money most of us would do the same. Very few really look out for the League and not just their own clubs

darreng

Post by darreng » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:21 am

Kingfield Ender wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:44 am

Coincidence one of his investments has taken a major hit (mainly supplied parts to an aircraft fitter). That either needs propping up or folding.

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:32 am

If you want to bankroll a club then thats fine. However you can't demand public funding when it gets too expensive

Solihull dont have anywhere near enough fans to subsidise this vanity project.

doylie

Post by doylie » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:47 am

If there’s going to be some sort of temporary Government monthly subsidy at our level (as some very informed people have been suggesting for a while now) then the fairest way to work out the % share out would be linked to the previous season’s attendance figures - which would more than suit us. It would also NOT direct public money towards non-interest vanity projects like Boreham Wood, Solihull, Fylde and the Dorks.
Memories of the past, visions of the future - follow on Instagram the_cardinal_tales and Twitter
https://twitter.com/cardinal_tales

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:50 am

Ever noticed that bakrolled hobby clubs are tiny ones with no support at all

No support = no objection to incoming egomaniacs

AndyT

Post by AndyT » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:40 pm

doylie wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:47 am
If there’s going to be some sort of temporary Government monthly subsidy at our level (as some very informed people have been suggesting for a while now) then the fairest way to work out the % share out would be linked to the previous season’s attendance figures - which would more than suit us. It would also NOT direct public money towards non-interest vanity projects like Boreham Wood, Solihull, Fylde and the Dorks.
To me this is how any support should be calculated. Any help should be to replace lost income due to no paying spectators. A formula should be worked out where funding is based on average crowds and not a flat fee. A flat fee would help the clubs who get small crowds and be to the detriment of clubs who attract large attendances. Notts County should be based on circa 5,000 gates as this is the revenue they are losing, we should be based on circa 2,200 while Borehamwood would be based on circa 600. To me it’s the only fairest way.

Card Sharp

Post by Card Sharp » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:55 pm

AndyT wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:40 pm
doylie wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:47 am
To me this is how any support should be calculated. Any help should be to replace lost income due to no paying spectators. A formula should be worked out where funding is based on average crowds and not a flat fee. A flat fee would help the clubs who get small crowds and be to the detriment of clubs who attract large attendances. Notts County should be based on circa 5,000 gates as this is the revenue they are losing, we should be based on circa 2,200 while Borehamwood would be based on circa 600. To me it’s the only fairest way.
You need to be careful in a way. How much of 2,200 came from cheap season tickets? Our annual revenue from gate receipts might be a lot loss than a team who averages less.

Furthermore it also widens the gap to the bigger clubs, who aren't hobby clubs, but in a better financial state than us and indeed many others.

Maybe I am alone, but each club should receive the same - IMO

AndyT

Post by AndyT » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:17 pm

How would you calculate it and what sort of figure would you suggest?

Card Sharp

Post by Card Sharp » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:47 pm

AndyT wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:17 pm
Look anyway you slice it you can see flaws. Now, should Notts County, Stockport, Wrexham and the like get more money? Should it be calculated on total income, not just gate receipts?

As I say our revenue on 2200 or whatever it was could be less than Aldershot's 1800?

I do not have the right answer, nor do you.

Same amount to each club, given the general consensus a short while ago that around 1000 would be allowed to all clubs and the uproar was not as bad.

Cardinal96

Post by Cardinal96 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:48 pm

Wouldn't bother me if Notts County, Wrexham, Stockport ect. got more money than us. they're bigger clubs, with presumably more full-time staff to employ and bigger, more expensive grounds.

Financial support based on lost revenue seems sensible. Perhaps each club should be required to demonstrate how much revenue they have lost by not allowing in spectators, including season ticket holders, based on last years gate income?

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:34 pm

Card Sharp wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:47 pm
AndyT wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:17 pm
Look anyway you slice it you can see flaws. Now, should Notts County, Stockport, Wrexham and the like get more money?

I do not have the right answer, nor do you.
Yes far bigger fan bases and attendance therefore loosing more money in secondary spend if not gate receipts alone.

I think the reflective attendance figure would be the best one otherwise it encourages the vanity basket cases to keep spending which is not what this help is about. It’s keeping business afloat.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:28 am

IMO, if any monies are forthcoming and it is in no way in the form of a loan but a donation/subsidy, every club should get the same.

The more responsible and therefore sustainable clubs would them not be passed by by those not have a realistic business model.

And wasn’t Rishy’s new job scheme all about sustainable jobs.

wokingsteve

Post by wokingsteve » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:51 am

See the Dowse thread for info on this seasons revenue from govt.

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:42 pm

I’d be surprised if everyone got the same amount.

The self employed income support scheme recently announced gives people 20% of their average trading profits. And the furlough scheme was based on 80% of pay.

If we were still in the Conf South would people still think it was fair that we got given the same as East Thurrock or Hungerford for example?

MattA

Post by MattA » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:13 pm

I would be surprised if the amount wasn’t an equal distribution among the 23 NL clubs, with a slightly reduced amount per club distributed equally amongst the 44 NLS and NLN clubs.

I would also be surprised if it is anywhere near enough.

It will also depend on how many home games are played in each month.

It may be preferable to space the fixtures more thinly in October and load them up towards the back end of the season.

Why play eight matches in October, with only six fixtures scheduled to be played in each of March, April and May.
Presumably it would be more sensible to play only four times in October, with the fixture list instead heavily loaded between March and May. Then with the games taking place more frequently in spring, perhaps playing every Saturday and Tuesday in the months of March-May, when spectators might be allowed back in to stadiums.

kansasCard

Post by kansasCard » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:44 pm

MattA wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:13 pm
Why play eight matches in October, with only six fixtures scheduled to be played in each of March, April and May.
Presumably it would be more sensible to play only four times in October, with the fixture list instead heavily loaded between March and May. Then with the games taking place more frequently in spring, perhaps playing every Saturday and Tuesday in the months of March-May, when spectators might be allowed back in to stadiums.
agree here. Where is the logic behind this? Looks like a severe case of overthinking and getting oneself confused. 4 games or even 3 in October when the problems are still peaking and jam them in next year where and if we know more.
This space intentionally left blank