Sam Allison

Red and White Army

Sam Allison

Post by Red and White Army » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:38 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54083909

I'll leave it up to everyone to decide if his promotion to the Football League was due to ability or other reasons.

AndyT

Re: Sam Allison

Post by AndyT » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:46 pm

One of the worst referees I've seen down at Kingfield (and other grounds).

Cardbourne

Post by Cardbourne » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:53 pm

Red and White Army wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:38 pm

I'll leave it up to everyone to decide if his promotion to the Football League was due to ability or other reasons.
Probably the latter if my memory serves me right (Dagenham away the year we got relegated)

Like his honesty though, that theres nothing holding back BAME officials from progressing.. Just like there isn't anything holding back BAME people in any walk of life tbh..

Wafflebutt

Post by Wafflebutt » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:57 pm

Cardbourne wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:53 pm

Probably the latter if my memory serves me right (Dagenham away the year we got relegated)

Like his honesty though, that theres nothing holding back BAME officials from progressing.. Just like there isn't anything holding back BAME people in any walk of life tbh..
You must be fishing... please let him be fishing.

Cardbourne

Post by Cardbourne » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:39 pm

Wafflebutt wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:57 pm
Cardbourne wrote:

Not fishing mate, but happy for you to prove me wrong.

Adz

Post by Adz » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:04 pm

Regardless of Race, Religion and so on he is an abysmal referee

Ashcard

Post by Ashcard » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:22 pm

Cardbourne wrote:

Just a brief search and i found this for your ignorant and one dimensional head to absorb Cardbourne.

https://www.thesimplepress.co.uk/home/b ... ntproblems

'The conclusion of the report, that racism still very much exists and operates in the public life of British society, was not groundbreaking in the slightest. What was disquieting was the sheer amount of effort BAME applicants have to put in when they are only at the initial stages of the process, and how consistent the discrimination has been half a century later. A study conducted by the same researchers in 1969 found that the discrimination levelled at the black and south Asian populations has not decreased.'

Cardbourne

Post by Cardbourne » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:07 pm

I'm only talking from experience, Being ex military where 'reverse discrimination' is most definitely a thing and is widely admitted, and would think is similar to most of the public sector.

We also had huge number of unsuccessful BAME applicants for a role at my current work who were simply not chosen due to language issues!!

I would suggest you should Stop being so 'one dimensional' and use your head instead of quoting information from bias and flawed sources.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:08 pm

Not the best ref I’ve seen, but certainly not the worst “bad” ref I’ve seen promoted to the Football League.

Coggins and Huxtable recently.

Vosper and Martin spring to mind from the distant past.

Good luck to the fella, at least we won’t get him again.

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:16 pm

Cardbourne wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:07 pm
I'm only talking from experience, Being ex military where 'reverse discrimination' is most definitely a thing and is widely admitted, and would think is similar to most of the public sector.

We also had huge number of unsuccessful BAME applicants for a role at my current work who were simply not chosen due to language issues!!

I would suggest you should Stop being so 'one dimensional' and use your head instead of quoting information from bias and flawed sources.
The source doesn’t even say what % of the people who applied for roles had the required qualifications and/or language skills. I might start applying for CEO jobs and complain when I don’t get a ‘callback’.

Ashcard

Post by Ashcard » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:44 pm

Cardbourne wrote:

So the study by oxford university is flawed. Really?!?

I cannot pretend to know if it's true or not regarding the military reverse discrimination as you call it but experiencing that may be the cause of your what comes across as resentment towards bame. I am not sure how long you were in the army bubble for but in general that is definitely not the case outside the military.

These are reports by the bbc. Feel free to call them biased or flawed but aren't the beeb supposed to be balanced!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46927417

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-38751307

pooh

Post by pooh » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:40 pm

That says a lot about you Ashcard if you think the BBC is an unbiased organisation. It appears that the simple press which you quote is a student rag which I wouldn’t put too much credence on their views.

Cardbourne

Post by Cardbourne » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:41 pm

Ashcard wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:44 pm
Cardbourne wrote:

So the study by oxford university is flawed. Really?!?

I cannot pretend to know if it's true or not regarding the military reverse discrimination as you call it but experiencing that may be the cause of your what comes across as resentment towards bame. I am not sure how long you were in the army bubble for but in general that is definitely not the case outside the military.

These are reports by the bbc. Feel free to call them biased or flawed but aren't the beeb supposed to be balanced!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46927417

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-38751307
No resentment towards BAME in the slightest, I like to think I judge a person by character and not colour. I just call it how I see it and not how I'm told to see it by someone with an obvious agenda.

I was in the RAF btw and was out by age 24 so wasn't in the 'Bubble' too long.

Not really the place for this discussion anyway so I'll leave it here..

Wafflebutt

Post by Wafflebutt » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:57 pm

Cardbourne wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:39 pm
Wafflebutt wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:57 pm

Just your last sentence. Don't think I need to prove you wrong as society has already done that.

Cardbourne

Post by Cardbourne » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:00 pm

Wafflebutt wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:57 pm
Cardbourne wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:39 pm

Just your last sentence. Don't think I need to prove you wrong as society has already done that.
Whatever. Let's end it here.

doylie

Post by doylie » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:06 pm

His performance at home against Braintree when Garry Hill was in charge was one of the worst I’ve ever seen at Kingfield - a Sunday morning football referee would have struggled to have been as piss poor.
Memories of the past, visions of the future - follow on Instagram the_cardinal_tales and Twitter
https://twitter.com/cardinal_tales

Card is King

Post by Card is King » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:10 pm

This is where we are in society. He’s not good enough for the job but because he’s black suddenly he is. It’s embarrassing, I feel sorry for him that he’s just there to make up the equality numbers.

Better Red

Post by Better Red » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:51 pm

doylie wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:06 pm
His performance at home against Braintree when Garry Hill was in charge was one of the worst I’ve ever seen at Kingfield
Was that our disallowed goal when an intercepted backpass from miles out was given as offside? If so, would have to agree with you...

KT15 Card

Post by KT15 Card » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:53 am

Better Red wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:51 pm
doylie wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:06 pm
His performance at home against Braintree when Garry Hill was in charge was one of the worst I’ve ever seen at Kingfield
Was that our disallowed goal when an intercepted backpass from miles out was given as offside? If so, would have to agree with you...
That was it. We normally get him twice a season, and I've yet to see him have anything above a 4/10 refereeing performance.

It shows how piss poor the refs in our league must be if he's getting promoted...

Cardinal96

Post by Cardinal96 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:34 am

Card is King wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:10 pm
This is where we are in society. He’s not good enough for the job but because he’s black suddenly he is. It’s embarrassing, I feel sorry for him that he’s just there to make up the equality numbers.
How can we encourage young black people, or women for example, into refereeing if they have no role models and have never seen a black or female referee themselves? Sometimes you need positive discrimination to address that imbalance, and we are rightfully seeing it around society. You can't just continue to promote white men into all the top positions (be it army general, CEO, manager or referee) claiming they're better qualified for the job in every case, but still expect young black people to be inspired.

Those BBC articles and countless independent studies have shown that bame people are less likely to get a job against a white candidate if both have exactly the same experience. Black people consistently face higher levels of unemployment in the uk. There is a problem that needs addressing.

Cardbourne

Post by Cardbourne » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:54 am

Cardinal96 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:34 am
Card is King wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:10 pm
How can we encourage young black people, or women for example, into refereeing if they have no role models and have never seen a black or female referee themselves? Sometimes you need positive discrimination to address that imbalance, and we are rightfully seeing it around society. You can't just continue to promote white men into all the top positions (be it army general, CEO, manager or referee) claiming they're better qualified for the job in every case, but still expect young black people to be inspired.

Those BBC articles and countless independent studies have shown that bame people are less likely to get a job against a white candidate if both have exactly the same experience. Black people consistently face higher levels of unemployment in the uk. There is a problem that needs addressing.
So fight racism with racism?
This is the sort of thing that stokes the fire and divides society rather than bring it together.

Cardinal96

Post by Cardinal96 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:03 am

What's the alternative?

If the EFL set a target, or quota, to have just 1 black referee in the football league (out of 109), the thing we should be worried about is the fact they only had 1 to choose from. If we wanted the number of BAME referees to be truly representative to the BAME population of the UK we would need to appoint 14 more.

Cardbourne

Post by Cardbourne » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:19 am

Cardinal96 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:03 am
What's the alternative?

If the EFL set a target, or quota, to have just 1 black referee in the football league (out of 109), the thing we should be worried about is the fact they only had 1 to choose from. If we wanted the number of BAME referees to be truly representative to the BAME population of the UK we would need to appoint 14 more.
How many BAME actually train to be a ref as apposed to white?

Im unsure why we have to reflect population percentages in every profession as long as everybody gets the same opportunities. Should we start complaining that there aren't enough white footballers?

Sits wrongly with me that a job candidate can be selected by race alone (With possible exception of the police force)

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:22 am

Cardinal96 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:03 am
What's the alternative?

You can’t just think every industry should reflect society as a whole.

Black players make up around 30% of the Premier League.

So if they’re over represented in some areas they’ll be underrepresented in others.

celtic card

Post by celtic card » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:36 am

Cardbourne wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:54 am
So fight racism with racism?
This is the sort of thing that stokes the fire and divides society rather than bring it together.
No. No it isn’t. People like you, using phrases like, “I just call it how I see it”, are the problem.

Positive discrimination, or affirmative action as it’s called in the USA, is no different to any number of other schemes designed to encourage diversity in the workplace. Funny how people only seem to take issue with it when it has to do with race, as opposed to age or gender or anything else.

I don’t get to many games these days. But I read the match threads on here and a common theme in ALL of them is how poor the refereeing is. At NL level, it’s to be expected, no? I have no idea if Sam Allison is a good referee or not. I have no idea if race was a factor in his promotion. I don’t really care. Good luck to him.

This is another very depressing thread to read. I had no idea so many of my fellow Woking fans had such a limited understanding of what is essentially a very straightforward issue. It’s really quite sad. The fact that the OP felt the need to start this thread at all is indicative of the problem. If it had been a crap white referee that had been promoted, would this thread exist? Would it hell.

pooh wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:40 pm
That says a lot about you Ashcard if you think the BBC is an unbiased organisation.
By its nature, it’s very difficult for news reporting to be 100% unbiased all the time. Any writer is going to have an opinion on what they’re writing about. Good media outlets will seek all viewpoints and provide balance. The BBC is about as close to that as it gets. Which is why they get hammered by the left for being pro-right and hammered by the right for being pro-left. They’re certainly considerably more trustworthy than the vile print media that we have in this country.