Macclesfield Town - Wound Up

Adz
Posts: 1393
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:16 am
Has thanked: 187 times
Been thanked: 110 times

Macclesfield Town - Wound Up

Post by Adz » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:14 am

Wound up in the high court with debts of £500,000. Presume the league will run with one team less at this stage

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54177582

London_Card
Posts: 1582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:16 am
Location: Islington, London
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: Macclesfield Town - Wound Up

Post by London_Card » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:21 am

Yeah too late to make any changes now I would think

wfc462
Posts: 557
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 49 times

Re: Macclesfield Town - Wound Up

Post by wfc462 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:54 am

this outcome was obvious to all. They shouldn't have been accepted into the National League after their relegation.

I feel for their fans. They join Bury as ex-league basket cases screwed over by dodgy ownership

BonnybridgeCard
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:13 pm
Location: Bonnybridge

Re: Macclesfield Town - Wound Up

Post by BonnybridgeCard » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:06 pm

What happens to the players that had recently signed?

Wilson Carvalho (ex Accrington Stanley)
Marvel Ekpieta (ex Newport County)
Jason Cowley (ex Stevenage)
Liam Nolan (ex Halifax)
Sam Walker (ex Stockport)
Chay Tilt (ex Stourbridge)
Lewis Wilson (ex Stratford Town)

Do they have their contracts revoked and will therefore be looking for new clubs?

skippy
Posts: 1170
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:08 pm
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 86 times

Re: Macclesfield Town - Wound Up

Post by skippy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:20 pm

So Ebbsfleet join us by being relegated after the league has accepted a financial basket case that won't finish (or in this case even start) the season.

Red and White Army
Posts: 1837
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:53 pm
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 24 times

Re: Macclesfield Town - Wound Up

Post by Red and White Army » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:34 pm

In times like this I was enjoy seeing the reactions from ill educated people such as:

"it's only 1 week's wages for Gareth Bale"
"why don't City give them money?"
"everything that's wrong with modern football".

Even Lineker (someone who apparently knows how football and the free market works) said a similar thing when Bury went bust.

The harsh truth is that if clubs spend money they don't have, then they'll go bust. If City gave them £500k, then they would just spend it on players and be in the same situation further down the line.

Should Tesco bail out every corner shop that closes?

H Card
Posts: 576
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:12 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: Macclesfield Town - Wound Up

Post by H Card » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:41 pm

In times like this I was enjoy seeing the reactions from ill educated people such as:

"it's only 1 week's wages for Gareth Bale"
"why don't City give them money?"
"everything that's wrong with modern football".

Even Lineker (someone who apparently knows how football and the free market works) said a similar thing when Bury went bust.

The harsh truth is that if clubs spend money they don't have, then they'll go bust. If City gave them £500k, then they would just spend it on players and be in the same situation further down the line.

Should Tesco bail out every corner shop that closes?
Spot on. There are so many teams that are on the brink, buckets come out, knight in shining armour saves them and fans say it won't happen again, then a year down the line the same has happened. I understand that in some situations fans can only do so much to stop these things but the mass hysteria that comes from the usual twitter suspects is tiresome, when a club is in trouble.

Reasons like Macc/Bury/Farny etc that I am happy we have level headed board members that wont't sell (if they need to) to the first chancer that comes along promising the worlds riches.

jonwoozley
Posts: 1111
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:09 am
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: Macclesfield Town - Wound Up

Post by jonwoozley » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:42 pm

H Card wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:41 pm
In times like this I was enjoy seeing the reactions from ill educated people such as:

"it's only 1 week's wages for Gareth Bale"
"why don't City give them money?"
"everything that's wrong with modern football".

Even Lineker (someone who apparently knows how football and the free market works) said a similar thing when Bury went bust.

The harsh truth is that if clubs spend money they don't have, then they'll go bust. If City gave them £500k, then they would just spend it on players and be in the same situation further down the line.

Should Tesco bail out every corner shop that closes?
Spot on. There are so many teams that are on the brink, buckets come out, knight in shining armour saves them and fans say it won't happen again, then a year down the line the same has happened. I understand that in some situations fans can only do so much to stop these things but the mass hysteria that comes from the usual twitter suspects is tiresome, when a club is in trouble.

Reasons like Macc/Bury/Farny etc that I am happy we have level headed board members that wont't sell (if they need to) to the first chancer that comes along promising the worlds riches.
Sell what? There's nothing left to buy. Not even a programme.
Dual meditates,
Non habetis argentum.

GladToBeHere
Posts: 369
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:15 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Macclesfield Town - Wound Up

Post by GladToBeHere » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:53 pm

Red and White Army wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:34 pm
In times like this I was enjoy seeing the reactions from ill educated people such as:

"it's only 1 week's wages for Gareth Bale"
Would this not be said to actually just be quite an intriguing point of reference to the literal amount being discussed, how much Macc owed and what Bale is supposedly earning per week?

Red and White Army
Posts: 1837
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:53 pm
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 24 times

Re: Macclesfield Town - Wound Up

Post by Red and White Army » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:42 pm

GladToBeHere wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:53 pm
Red and White Army wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:34 pm
In times like this I was enjoy seeing the reactions from ill educated people such as:

"it's only 1 week's wages for Gareth Bale"
Would this not be said to actually just be quite an intriguing point of reference to the literal amount being discussed, how much Macc owed and what Bale is supposedly earning per week?
Maybe. But you could apply that to any industry.

"Tesco weekly profit covers a corner shop's debt."
"Wetherspoon's weekly profit covers a small pub's debt."

etc etc

Derek
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:55 pm
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Macclesfield Town - Wound Up

Post by Derek » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:10 pm

Red and White Army wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:42 pm
GladToBeHere wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:53 pm


Would this not be said to actually just be quite an intriguing point of reference to the literal amount being discussed, how much Macc owed and what Bale is supposedly earning per week?
Maybe. But you could apply that to any industry.

"Tesco weekly profit covers a corner shop's debt."
"Wetherspoon's weekly profit covers a small pub's debt."

etc etc
Yep good point

wokingsteve
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:45 pm
Location: Guildford
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Macclesfield Town - Wound Up

Post by wokingsteve » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:20 pm

Gives you more chance of staying up.

The Cardinal One
Posts: 490
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:16 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Macclesfield Town - Wound Up

Post by The Cardinal One » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:24 pm

FWIW (and from a completely selfish view) this could help us out, as both Macclesfield fixtures were just 2 and 3 days before our next league fixture.
Woking FC's unofficial statistician.

alas Tom Jones
Posts: 186
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:35 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Macclesfield Town - Wound Up

Post by alas Tom Jones » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:07 am

It's an even more southern National League now.

Card is King
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:40 am
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Macclesfield Town - Wound Up

Post by Card is King » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:58 am

Red and White Army wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:34 pm
In times like this I was enjoy seeing the reactions from ill educated people such as:

"it's only 1 week's wages for Gareth Bale"
"why don't City give them money?"
"everything that's wrong with modern football".

Even Lineker (someone who apparently knows how football and the free market works) said a similar thing when Bury went bust.

The harsh truth is that if clubs spend money they don't have, then they'll go bust. If City gave them £500k, then they would just spend it on players and be in the same situation further down the line.

Should Tesco bail out every corner shop that closes?
Couldn’t agree more. People have no idea. If a football club is in trouble, it’s badly run end of. Stop spending beyond your means.


Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Adz, Google [Bot], Slammedeluxe and 15 guests

Cardboard

Cardsboard.co.uk is not an official message board of Woking Football Club or The Cards Trust, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Please be warned that some posts will contain swear words.

Vanarama National League Club Forums: Aldershot Town | Barnet | Barrow | Bromley | Chesterfield | Chorley | Dagenham & Redbridge | Dover Athletic | Eastleigh | Ebbsfleet United | FC Halifax Town | Harrogate Town | Hartlepool United | Maidenhead United | Notts County | Solihull Moors | Stockport County | Sutton United | Torquay United | Wrexham

Unofficial League Forums: The Conference Forum

Other Links: Cards Trust - Boost the Budget | wokingfc.co.uk | Surrey Advertiser | Woking News and Mail | Woking FC Official Photo Gallery | BBC Sport - Woking | BBC Football Commentaries