Formations for upcoming season... thoughts

GladToBeHere

Formations for upcoming season... thoughts

Post by GladToBeHere » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:30 pm

Would like to see a mixture of 3-5-2 and 4-3-3 used in order to make best use of our attaching players personally. Would hopefully allow for a consistent defensive back line and defensive midfield duo.

JAM

Re: Formations for upcoming season... thoughts

Post by JAM » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:09 pm

The problem with 3-5-2 is who is playing RWB, assuming Cook is 1 of the 3 CBs

I cant see Dowse moving too far away from 4-2-3-1 TBH

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:17 pm

I'm not sure we'll use 3-5-2 this season given we'll struggle to have enough CBs

I'd like a 4-2-3-1 which seems to be Dowse's favourite, with something like:

-------------Ross-------------

----------Any back 4----------

------Block-----Ferdinand-----

Tarpey----Goddard-----Jarvis

---------Hall/New Fwd--------

I'm sure someone will suggest "putting Tarpey up front in a 4-4-fucking 2" like below:

-------------Ross-------------

----------Any back 4----------

Goddard---Block---Ferdinand---Jarvis

---------Tarpey------Hall-----------

Nonsense Potter

Post by Nonsense Potter » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:04 pm

Wouldn’t 3-5-2 be the strangest decision possible, in light of us signing an ex-England international who wouldn’t play, should we do that?
Scorer of possibly the greatest goal in the history of the Woking FC Supporters' team

WokingandRichmondFC

Post by WokingandRichmondFC » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:56 pm

-----------------------------------------Ross------------------------------------

---------Cook----Gerring (when fit)----New CB----Casey-------

------------------Two of Cooper/Ferdinand/Block-------------------

-----------Tarpey-----------------Goddard----------------Jarvis-------------

Hall/New ST who hopefully will be big to win headers from 3 behind who all have v good delivery imo

GlenH

Post by GlenH » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:00 pm

For me a mixture of 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 feel most logical with the players signed. I'd be tempted to start Cooper and Ferdinand together in certain games where we expect more of the ball and have Goddard/Max as a 10, or if we're setting up to be more defensive you bring Block in at the base of midfield with a choice of Goddard/Tarpey/Jarvis as your wide players. Whilst the CB situation is obviously the priority, for me we're still short a couple of attacking options too - another striker and maybe a natural winger, particularly given Jarvis likely won't play every game and Goddard may be needed elsewhere. Someone with a bit of pace or x factor ala Loza would be nice.

KT14_Card

Post by KT14_Card » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:39 pm

Although the sentiment I really can’t seeing us getting much game time out of Jarvis, although happy to be proven wrong!

Can see us going

Ross,
Cook/Gerring/new cb/Casey
Block/Ferdinand
Tarpey/Max/Goddard
Hall

Cardinals Rule

Post by Cardinals Rule » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:06 pm

GlenH wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:00 pm
Someone with a bit of pace or x factor ala Loza would be nice.
I would be surprised now if we didn’t sign Joe Leslie - if indeed it is him - given how long he has been trialling with us and the number of pre-season games he has taken part in, although I know that’s no guarantee.