Southend - ouch..?

Growler

Southend - ouch..?

Post by Growler » Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:14 pm

NL require £1m bond and/or proof of funds.

That’s them done, innit?
This message brought to you through the POWER OF FACT.

RedRich

Re: Southend - ouch..?

Post by RedRich » Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:56 pm

Their winding up petition is Wednesday as well.

HG Wells

Post by HG Wells » Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:59 pm

Any other team would have been wound up by now. It’s not good but that’s the rules…

vinrouge

Post by vinrouge » Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:11 pm

Some rich pickings can be had player-wise if they go pop! I wonder!

KT15 Card

Post by KT15 Card » Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:18 pm

Will the NL welcome back Boreham Wood like they did Dartford a few years ago?

Meerkat

Post by Meerkat » Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:25 pm

Cant believe anyone would welcome either of those two!

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:37 pm

KT15 Card wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:18 pm
Will the NL welcome back Boreham Wood like they did Dartford a few years ago?
No.

TBH, Southend took the piss last year a broke the league’s own rules, about several things, but were allowed to carry on.
Just get rid of this cheating business.

And for those who last year said it wasn’t fair on their fans and it is a club not a business.
I refer you to my replies I gave you then.
Looking forward to see everyone again at Kingfield, soon.
Some interesting conversations will be had.

flagman

Post by flagman » Tue Jun 25, 2024 7:40 am

I think they will scrape out of it and be playing us this season. I hope so , they turn up in their numbers and everyone i met in the pub after our home game last year was quality

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:49 am

Been taking the piss for many years now. Using HMRC as an overdraft, taking cash on the gate while giving out tickets for the previous game, not paying players, not paying club staff, not paying St Johns Ambulance and many local businesses.

The league would have had any other club out of here by now
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

oakie

Post by oakie » Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:12 am

Completely agree with KE - they are serial pisstakers and have been given more latitude that anyone else has ever received, time to end the farce

Last published accounts to 31 July 2023 showed an operating loss of £2.458 million in the year and ~£18m of debts to various other Ron Martin group companies. Their staff wage bill (including back office) was close on £3m (£2.6m plus pension/social security etc) - all while failing to pay HMRC and suppliers what they are due.

wokingcardinal

Post by wokingcardinal » Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:30 am

They magically managed to sign Cardwell on a contract to 2026 in February! Jokers

Texas Dave

Post by Texas Dave » Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:43 pm

Can someone tell me which league Dover will will be playing in this season?
War is God’s way of teaching Americans geography.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:44 pm

Texas Dave wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:43 pm
Can someone tell me which league Dover will will be playing in this season?
Isthmian League Premier Division

Growler

Post by Growler » Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:55 pm

X suggests Southend have come to a deal with one of their creditors.
News article puff piece saying new consortium working tirelessly to complete deal etc.

Rinse and repeat. Again.
This message brought to you through the POWER OF FACT.

Rio

Post by Rio » Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:50 pm

They've take the piss for too long. A rotten club whose owners can't pay bills and stewards who are grade A c-bombs.

Hope they fuck off into the abyss where they belong.

flagman

Post by flagman » Tue Jun 25, 2024 5:43 pm

I don’t think it’s all their fault , housing hasn’t gone through and the council are dithering.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:37 pm

flagman wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 5:43 pm
I don’t think it’s all their fault , housing hasn’t gone through and the council are dithering.
The mismanagement of Southend Utd FC LTD has nothing to do with their local council.

wokingcardinal

Post by wokingcardinal » Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:52 pm

Adrian wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:37 pm
flagman wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 5:43 pm
The mismanagement of Southend Utd FC LTD has nothing to do with their local council.
I am guessing they were also waiting for the lottery win also.

flagman

Post by flagman » Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:02 pm

You can certainly blame the chairman.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ustin-rees

flagman

Post by flagman » Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:16 am

Not sure why there is not more sympathy for Southend, this could easily happen to many teams in our league and above . I admire the effort put in to keep them going , they deserve a bit of love and a lot of luck . From the article i posted above .
“Southend United’s CEO, Tom Lawrence, a bear of a man who smiles so disarmingly it feels as if he could save a football club on vibes alone. “We’ve been ducking and diving,” said Lawrence as we sat in Ron Martin’s office – which is now his office, as Martin no longer comes to Roots Hall. “We’ve had the MP coming in one door and the bailiff going out the other.”

Raised a little way up the coast in Essex, Lawrence grew up supporting Southend. When he was hired in the weeks following Southend’s relegation in 2021, he attempted to bring order to the chaos all around him. “The old accountant used to phone up and say: ‘Ron, I need 80 grand’, or: ‘I need 200 grand.’ And sometimes it was there, and sometimes it wasn’t,” he told me. Lawrence devised a new business plan and the club hired Maher as manager.
As ever with Southend United, things were looking up, until they weren’t. No sooner had Maher got his feet under the table than HMRC came knocking again after another missed deadline. In December 2021, the club was given a transfer embargo, meaning it could not sign any new players. “The business plan got shoved to one side and it was, right, who are we fighting today,” said Lawrence. He began to lose count of the number of hearings the club had had with their energy supplier, N Power, for failure to pay their bills. There were times before evening matches where he would worry they wouldn’t be able to turn on the floodlights.

Even though Maher and the players soldiered on, they were no match for the forces of decline. In July 2023, the water was turned off in the training ground. Players couldn’t use the toilet facilities or shower after training. Maher and his assistants, Darren Currie and Mark Bentley, took it in turns to stop at Aldi to pick up pre-made food and bottled water as they couldn’t use the kitchen facilities. In the end, to restore the water, Lawrence resorted to ordering a huge silver water tank, which was dropped off in the car park and installed for free by a supporter who also happened to be a plumber.

There wasn’t the money to do anything properly. Even when there was money, local businesses sometimes refused to trade with them because the club still owed them. At the start of this season, the groundsman, Chris Ball, had to borrow a lawnmower from Premier League side Tottenham Hotspur just to cut the grass at Roots Hall. “We are just doing the bare minimum just to get us through. It’s just like a survival battle,” Ball told me when I met him in November. But these trials also brought a sense of real purpose. “I think I secretly enjoy it, otherwise I wouldn’t do it,” said Ball. Keeping the show on the road, the fans coming through the turnstiles, the bars stocked and serving and the pitch surface playable, felt nothing short of miraculous.

Out of necessity, Lawrence rolled his sleeves up and got stuck into jobs many might think beneath the CEO of a football club. (Although fans had turned on Martin, they generally recognised Lawrence’s efforts to keep the club going.) He loaned money to unpaid staff to help them survive and personally paid for the petrol in the team bus when the club didn’t have the funds. Last summer, when the club was told by the council that the stadium was at risk of not receiving a safety certificate – a requirement for all sports grounds over a certain size – Lawrence learned how to use a cherrypicker and an angle grinder to chop out rusting metalwork, and climbed into the stadium’s lofts to help fireproof it.

Old Woking United

Post by Old Woking United » Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:26 am

Is this not a good move by the NL and hopefully for Southend as well as surely the aim is to force the Martins into pushing the deal through else they get nothing?

samf679

Post by samf679 » Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:28 am

I initially read the title of this as 'Southgate - ouch...?'

Imagine my dissapointment there arent hundreds of comments advising to 'give it dowsey till the end of the season'

wokingcardinal

Post by wokingcardinal » Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:35 am

flagman wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:16 am
Not sure why there is not more sympathy for Southend, this could easily happen to many teams in our league and above . I admire the effort put in to keep them going , they deserve a bit of love and a lot of luck . From the article i posted above .
“Southend United’s CEO, Tom Lawrence, a bear of a man who smiles so disarmingly it feels as if he could save a football club on vibes alone. “We’ve been ducking and diving,” said Lawrence as we sat in Ron Martin’s office – which is now his office, as Martin no longer comes to Roots Hall. “We’ve had the MP coming in one door and the bailiff going out the other.”

Raised a little way up the coast in Essex, Lawrence grew up supporting Southend. When he was hired in the weeks following Southend’s relegation in 2021, he attempted to bring order to the chaos all around him. “The old accountant used to phone up and say: ‘Ron, I need 80 grand’, or: ‘I need 200 grand.’ And sometimes it was there, and sometimes it wasn’t,” he told me. Lawrence devised a new business plan and the club hired Maher as manager.
As ever with Southend United, things were looking up, until they weren’t. No sooner had Maher got his feet under the table than HMRC came knocking again after another missed deadline. In December 2021, the club was given a transfer embargo, meaning it could not sign any new players. “The business plan got shoved to one side and it was, right, who are we fighting today,” said Lawrence. He began to lose count of the number of hearings the club had had with their energy supplier, N Power, for failure to pay their bills. There were times before evening matches where he would worry they wouldn’t be able to turn on the floodlights.

Even though Maher and the players soldiered on, they were no match for the forces of decline. In July 2023, the water was turned off in the training ground. Players couldn’t use the toilet facilities or shower after training. Maher and his assistants, Darren Currie and Mark Bentley, took it in turns to stop at Aldi to pick up pre-made food and bottled water as they couldn’t use the kitchen facilities. In the end, to restore the water, Lawrence resorted to ordering a huge silver water tank, which was dropped off in the car park and installed for free by a supporter who also happened to be a plumber.

There wasn’t the money to do anything properly. Even when there was money, local businesses sometimes refused to trade with them because the club still owed them. At the start of this season, the groundsman, Chris Ball, had to borrow a lawnmower from Premier League side Tottenham Hotspur just to cut the grass at Roots Hall. “We are just doing the bare minimum just to get us through. It’s just like a survival battle,” Ball told me when I met him in November. But these trials also brought a sense of real purpose. “I think I secretly enjoy it, otherwise I wouldn’t do it,” said Ball. Keeping the show on the road, the fans coming through the turnstiles, the bars stocked and serving and the pitch surface playable, felt nothing short of miraculous.

Out of necessity, Lawrence rolled his sleeves up and got stuck into jobs many might think beneath the CEO of a football club. (Although fans had turned on Martin, they generally recognised Lawrence’s efforts to keep the club going.) He loaned money to unpaid staff to help them survive and personally paid for the petrol in the team bus when the club didn’t have the funds. Last summer, when the club was told by the council that the stadium was at risk of not receiving a safety certificate – a requirement for all sports grounds over a certain size – Lawrence learned how to use a cherrypicker and an angle grinder to chop out rusting metalwork, and climbed into the stadium’s lofts to help fireproof it.
It would only happen to other clubs if they are so poorly run as Southend are.

Lurker

Post by Lurker » Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:28 am

flagman wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:16 am
There wasn’t the money to do anything properly.
No money to do anything properly except maintain a very talented, hugely expensive squad while tapping up players under contract at other clubs in the hope/expectation that their transfer embargo would be lifted even though they continued not to pay local businesses for their services.

Yes, it's an absolute mystery why there isn't more sympathy for them.

flagman

Post by flagman » Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:29 pm

But that’s the owner trying to earn from the football club , the supporters are completely blameless