Lucrative business opportunity

wokingcardinal

Re: Lucrative business opportunity

Post by wokingcardinal » Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:19 am

Adrian wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:17 am
Imagine people having a pop at an individual who has, literally lost a fortune in our football club and has changed the debt into shares of no value that he has to pay an annual fee to keep?
It's very sad, it makes you wonder what some people actually want!?

Wafflebutt

Post by Wafflebutt » Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:36 am

GlenH wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:51 pm
Hi All,

I wasn't going to comment - it's not really anything to do with me and I don't pretend to know anything more than what's been written - but I feel obligated to defend my friend, who I think has unfairly been made a scapegoat here.

Drew very kindly came on our podcast last year and since then he and Jacob have maintained semi-regular contact. I have seen, via Jacob, some messages that were shared between them over the past few days - the contents of which were reflected in Jacob's article.

I do not know what was agreed in terms of exactly what could be shared and when, and clearly there has been some miscommunication here, but knowing Jacob as I do, I do not believe for a moment that he would intentionally set out to damage the club or misrepresent what was shared with him. He is a passionate supporter, like all of us, and was only seeking to shed what light he could on an uncertain time at the club.

Jacob has run his blog for many years now and has always maintained friendly relations with everyone at the club, which has allowed him to garner the interviews and insights he gets, in addition to the podcast guests he has, in more recent years, facilitated us speaking to.

I know this is a fractious time and we are all hoping for clarity, but please don't slag someone off based on one prematurely published article, when he has never to my knowledge said a vindictive word about the club through any medium. I'm the far more hot-headed one out of the two of us!

Appreciate the kind words on the podcast R&W Army.

Glen
I dont think anyone said he was being vindictive, misrepresent nor intentionally damage the club.

Have you thought about becoming a professional character witness?
Criticism that’s correct is fair. The fake stuff isn’t.

AshWFC

Post by AshWFC » Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:48 am

wokingcardinal wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:41 am
I don't think the info was/is a lie, it just doesn't contain all the info, everyone likes to control their own narrative at the end of the day.
This sounds about right to me, given I remember the podcast trying to push this very narrative a pretty long time ago now. I brought it up on here, and one of Glen or Jacob backed down immediately on it being anything other than pure speculation on their part.

Now they have some evidence to support such a theory it seems unsurprising they've tried to deliver their perspective asap, but it is perhaps regrettable to have tried to jump ahead of the club providing it too, given that so far they've been nothing but up front with the changes occuring.

I don't think it should be reason to be suddenly gloomy and not anticipating good things this season, even if waiting with baited breath.

wokingcardinal

Post by wokingcardinal » Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:50 am

AshWFC wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:48 am
wokingcardinal wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:41 am
I don't think the info was/is a lie, it just doesn't contain all the info, everyone likes to control their own narrative at the end of the day.
This sounds about right to me, given I remember the podcast trying to push this very narrative a pretty long time ago now. I brought it up on here, and one of Glen or Jacob backed down immediately on it being anything other than pure speculation on their part.

Now they have some evidence to support such a theory it seems unsurprising they've tried to deliver their perspective asap, but it is perhaps regrettable to have tried to jump ahead of the club providing it too, given that so far they've been nothing but up front with the changes occuring.

I don't think it should be reason to be suddenly gloomy and not anticipating good things this season, even if waiting with baited breath.
They probably should have made it a podcast episode 🤔 but of a missed opportunity.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:57 am

wokingcardinal wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:19 am
Adrian wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:17 am
Imagine people having a pop at an individual who has, literally lost a fortune in our football club and has changed the debt into shares of no value that he has to pay an annual fee to keep?
It's very sad, it makes you wonder what some people actually want!?
I makes you realise how little many understand about running a football club at National League level.

That is a general observation, not aimed at any individual.
Looking forward to see everyone again at Kingfield, soon.
Some interesting conversations will be had.

rosemaryj

Post by rosemaryj » Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:18 am

It is always uncertain times when things change at any club.

Drew has always been open and clear in his interactions with fans and at the shareholder meeting held recently he was clear as to what he was doing.
His support for the club financially has been immense over the last years and he has been honest in saying that it just could not continue, however, he has also been clear that he loves the club and will do the best he can for the future of the club and remain part of the club.

I am sure that the statement he makes will be clear but it also has to be remembered that he will be in negotiations and therefore may be limited as to what he can tell fans because of negotiations.

I would suggest that we wait for the statement and people can contact Drew direct if they want too rather than discuss business transactions publicly or make assumptions.

Rosemary

Calluna Card

Post by Calluna Card » Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:58 am

Pleased to see DV said "no harm no foul" and I certainly didn't view the article as vindictive, political, or trying to make a point or whatever.

It was however painfully naïve to take a (presumably) private conversation and air it publicly. Never mind what it does to the relationship between DV and JG, it is pretty damaging to the reputation of anyone who (presumably) has aims and ambitions to further their career in journalism. On the record/off the record is pretty basic when it comes to building trust and credibility, and I can't imagine the Beeb or a local rag would have gone with a story like this without being absolutely certain they were good to do so. Retraction is proof in the pudding. Maybe a lesson learned for DV in there as well.

As for the weird character statement from GlenH....anybody who won't allow the inclusion of Adriano Basso in an 'all time best squad vote' because of some arbitrary rule on appearances shouldn't be taken seriously in any case.

COYC.

GlenH

Post by GlenH » Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:28 pm

The 'character statement' was to defend my friend and to try to avoid the pile on of name calling and accusations which had begun in this thread and on social media. Some of you may not have thought it necessary for me to say this or to go into the level of detail I did, but I felt he was being treated unfairly and I wanted to defend him.

You must remember that neither of us are, nor have ambition to become, professional football journalists. Nor do we make any money or get other perks out of the content we create in our spare time (outside of a handful of generous donations listeners asked to give us). We do it for fun and for the love of the club we have both followed since we were children. For me personally, I do it as a way to still feel connected to the club after moving away from the area. There is no agenda we are trying to push, nor any individual we are trying to unfairly criticise (though I did get very tired of Dowse towards the end). We are just two friends having a chat on a podcast or writing our thoughts down for others to read, should they be interested and inclined to do so. We will naturally have our own thoughts and opinions and I will continue to try and make clear the difference between opinion and fact.

Jacob belived he had permission to share what he did in the way he did. Obviously, there was a breakdown in communication here and Jacob has therefore withdraw what he's written. Hopefully we can all leave it be.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:52 pm

rosemaryj wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:18 am
It is always uncertain times when things change at any club.

Drew has always been open and clear in his interactions with fans and at the shareholder meeting held recently he was clear as to what he was doing.
His support for the club financially has been immense over the last years and he has been honest in saying that it just could not continue, however, he has also been clear that he loves the club and will do the best he can for the future of the club and remain part of the club.

I am sure that the statement he makes will be clear but it also has to be remembered that he will be in negotiations and therefore may be limited as to what he can tell fans because of negotiations.

I would suggest that we wait for the statement and people can contact Drew direct if they want too rather than discuss business transactions publicly or make assumptions.

Rosemary
100% this, well said Rosemary.
Looking forward to see everyone again at Kingfield, soon.
Some interesting conversations will be had.

Old Woking United

Post by Old Woking United » Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:18 pm

Urghhhhhh. F&cking reading this thread.

neverlostatwembley3

Post by neverlostatwembley3 » Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:39 pm

Well I look forward to new people coming in and the inevitable 3 year football league plan.

wokingcardinal

Post by wokingcardinal » Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:11 pm

neverlostatwembley3 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:39 pm
Well I look forward to new people coming in and the inevitable 3 year football league plan.
Without ambition it's all pretty pointless

Wokingcard

Post by Wokingcard » Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:45 pm

GlenH wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:28 pm
The 'character statement' was to defend my friend and to try to avoid the pile on of name calling and accusations which had begun in this thread and on social media. Some of you may not have thought it necessary for me to say this or to go into the level of detail I did, but I felt he was being treated unfairly and I wanted to defend him.

You must remember that neither of us are, nor have ambition to become, professional football journalists. Nor do we make any money or get other perks out of the content we create in our spare time (outside of a handful of generous donations listeners asked to give us). We do it for fun and for the love of the club we have both followed since we were children. For me personally, I do it as a way to still feel connected to the club after moving away from the area. There is no agenda we are trying to push, nor any individual we are trying to unfairly criticise (though I did get very tired of Dowse towards the end). We are just two friends having a chat on a podcast or writing our thoughts down for others to read, should they be interested and inclined to do so. We will naturally have our own thoughts and opinions and I will continue to try and make clear the difference between opinion and fact.

Jacob belived he had permission to share what he did in the way he did. Obviously, there was a breakdown in communication here and Jacob has therefore withdraw what he's written. Hopefully we can all leave it be.
If you’re releasing a podcast and producing football related content, you can’t hide behind “we’re not journalists and we don’t want to be”, you still have to operate with a degree of professionalism or at least common sense. If you are about to release a story that has wide reaching and potentially damaging ramifications to the club that you claim you love, a basic requirement of this is to check that the person you have spoken to is happy with the information being shared and also that your interpretation of the information is accurate. Neither of these were done. Some would say naive, others would say a deliberate attempt to generate social media clicks.

neverlostatwembley3

Post by neverlostatwembley3 » Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:50 pm

wokingcardinal wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:11 pm
Ambitions can come in different forms. An ambition to stay solvent would be a good one. It is better to aim for things that are within the clubs control and build the foundations for success rather than arbitrarily set a deadline for promotion to the football league.

wokingcardinal

Post by wokingcardinal » Tue Jun 18, 2024 4:19 pm

Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:50 pm
wokingcardinal wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:11 pm

Ambitions can come in different forms. An ambition to stay solvent would be a good one. It is better to aim for things that are within the clubs control and build the foundations for success rather than arbitrarily set a deadline for promotion to the football league.
So you only look forward to the annual accounts rather than winning things?

wokingcardinal

Post by wokingcardinal » Tue Jun 18, 2024 4:20 pm

Wokingcard wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:45 pm
GlenH wrote:

If you’re releasing a podcast and producing football related content, you can’t hide behind “we’re not journalists and we don’t want to be”, you still have to operate with a degree of professionalism or at least common sense. If you are about to release a story that has wide reaching and potentially damaging ramifications to the club that you claim you love, a basic requirement of this is to check that the person you have spoken to is happy with the information being shared and also that your interpretation of the information is accurate. Neither of these were done. Some would say naive, others would say a deliberate attempt to generate social media clicks.
To be fair only 2 people really know the answer to that.

GlenH

Post by GlenH » Tue Jun 18, 2024 4:29 pm

Wokingcard wrote:
GlenH wrote:

You can think that if you wish. As I have said, Jacob believed he had genuine information that would be of interest to share and that he had permission to share it. This is the version of events he has shared with me and I believe him for the reasons I have given.

Between us we probably produce a dozen pieces of content a year. Neither of us use social media for monetary gain and if that were the game I was in, I'm not sure I'd be making much of a living writing or talking about Woking.

I can only speak for myself here, but I do it as a fun outlet for a thing I enjoy, not to get clicks. If people read/listen/engage it's an added bonus and I'm grateful to how kind and receptive loads of people have been to it. I can't say either of us will be keen to continue after this experience.

wokingcardinal

Post by wokingcardinal » Tue Jun 18, 2024 4:32 pm

GlenH wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 4:29 pm
Wokingcard wrote:

You can think that if you wish. As I have said, Jacob believed he had genuine information that would be of interest to share and that he had permission to share it. This is the version of events he has shared with me and I believe him for the reasons I have given.

Between us we probably produce a dozen pieces of content a year. Neither of us use social media for monetary gain and if that were the game I was in, I'm not sure I'd be making much of a living writing or talking about Woking.

I can only speak for myself here, but I do it as a fun outlet for a thing I enjoy, not to get clicks. If people read/listen/engage it's an added bonus and I'm grateful to how kind and receptive loads of people have been to it. I can't say either of us will be keen to continue after this experience.
You shouldn't give up as just because of one setback.

KT22Card

Post by KT22Card » Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:04 pm

Glen & Jacob, by and large I’ve made time to listen to all podcasts and would urge you to carry on , life’s full of opinions good and bad

Bowler Hat

Post by Bowler Hat » Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:08 pm

I think Woozley is down to his last six now.

Wokingcard

Post by Wokingcard » Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:41 pm

GlenH wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 4:29 pm
Wokingcard wrote:

There it is…the classic “we’ve been criticised once so we’re going to throw our toys out the pram and stop doing the podcast unless a load of people give us compliments”.

Grow up. You’ve made a mistake, you’ll get criticised, apologise or make your case and then move on. Not everything will go your way and people might occasionally criticise you

Igor

Post by Igor » Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:18 pm

wokingcardinal wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:32 pm
Cardbattery wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:25 pm
Quite a bit of pressure on this, what happens if nobody buys?
we have a whipround
Probably the long term future of the / a club. Essentially fan / community funded, playing at a level which that whipping-round can support.

wokingcardinal

Post by wokingcardinal » Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:39 pm

Igor wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:18 pm
wokingcardinal wrote:

we have a whipround
Probably the long term future of the / a club. Essentially fan / community funded, playing at a level which that whipping-round can support.
That's the spirit 👍🏻

Spongeball

Post by Spongeball » Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:05 am

This thread is completely absurd. A long time lurker, rare poster here. We seem to lose sight that we are all on the same side, we all love the club.

I don’t know exactly what was said at the AGM but I feel like the developments of the last week, with the departure of JK and the impending news that DV appears to be also on the way out, is extremely concerning. It also makes me feel like last seasons pitiful showing is coming home to roost. Would this be happening if we got into the play offs last year?

I’m not a fan of all this cloak and dagger stuff. Some people knowing stuff, told not to post. Other knowing bits. It just leads to confusion. I’m not one of the ‘in the loop’ people but from what I’m seeing I’m deeply concerned about the future. Can anyone post something definitive about what on earth is going on in the absence of anything from the club?

Meerkat

Post by Meerkat » Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:07 am

Igor wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:18 pm
wokingcardinal wrote:

we have a whipround
A whip round won’t cover the costs of the ground falling apart. In fact it might even struggle to run the ground at the level a whip round funded Club will Play at