Updated run ins

jonwoozley

Re: Updated run ins

Post by jonwoozley » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:01 am

JGreenwood91 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:12 pm
Stortford have been relegated from the North already which probably adds to the problem if they were the most northern of the south. I'd think Braintree will be heading north and as you say maybe others based on those possibly going down from the NL.
I would guess it would be Hemel H. or St Albans, or both, based on motorway links. Braintree is in the 1950s still.
Crazy.
I have another 7 three year plans in me if I'm lucky.

Meerkat

Post by Meerkat » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:20 am

Didn’t Aldershot provide the funniest play off moment ever when their manager was celebrating their win on penalties before the shootout finished…and before the Shots utterly choked it?

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:09 am

Meerkat wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:20 am
Didn’t Aldershot provide the funniest play off moment ever when their manager was celebrating their win on penalties before the shootout finished…and before the Shots utterly choked it?
I forgot about that, that was hilarious.

They conceded in the last minute of extra time to get taken to pens. Then they were 3-1 up after 3 penalties each. Which is when Waddock started celebrating with his shit overly gelled hair.

Bertie

Post by Bertie » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:24 pm

jonwoozley wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:01 am
JGreenwood91 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:12 pm
Stortford have been relegated from the North already which probably adds to the problem if they were the most northern of the south. I'd think Braintree will be heading north and as you say maybe others based on those possibly going down from the NL.
I would guess it would be Hemel H. or St Albans, or both, based on motorway links. Braintree is in the 1950s still.
Crazy.
When Bishops Stortford were put into NLN there was an argument going around that although St Albans were further south, it would make more sense for St Albans rather than Bishops Stortford to be placed into NLN because they are right by the M1 and whereas Bishops Stortford would have to go down the M11, around the M25 before joining the M1 (at St Albans).

Because of the Southern bias in terms of number of clubs there are lots of clubs who would actually travel less in NL than they would in NLN/NLS even though regional football is meant to reduce travelling

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:42 pm

Bertie wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:24 pm
jonwoozley wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:01 am

Crazy.
When Bishops Stortford were put into NLN there was an argument going around that although St Albans were further south, it would make more sense for St Albans rather than Bishops Stortford to be placed into NLN because they are right by the M1 and whereas Bishops Stortford would have to go down the M11, around the M25 before joining the M1 (at St Albans).

Because of the Southern bias in terms of number of clubs there are lots of clubs who would actually travel less in NL than they would in NLN/NLS even though regional football is meant to reduce travelling
If four southern teams go down from our league and league positions stay as they are (with the top 2 going up/bottom 4 going down) you'd probably end up with Oxford, Chesham and Needham Market in the NLN.

Just the 5.5 hour drive from Chesham to Blyth in a regional league!

Bertie

Post by Bertie » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:13 am

Red and White Army wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:42 pm
Bertie wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:24 pm

If four southern teams go down from our league and league positions stay as they are (with the top 2 going up/bottom 4 going down) you'd probably end up with Oxford, Chesham and Needham Market in the NLN.

Just the 5.5 hour drive from Chesham to Blyth in a regional league!
And course, it would be a midweek game

TripWookiees

Post by TripWookiees » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:24 am

Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:19 pm
One final thought... if 4 of Oxford, Dorking, Ebbsfleet, Eastleigh or Maidenhead go down there's gonna be a ridiculously southern team in the Conference North next season. Probably even worse than Bishop's Stortford.
Boreham Wood also; more southern than Bishop's Stortford.

TripWookiees

Post by TripWookiees » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:29 am

TripWookiees wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:24 am
Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:19 pm
One final thought... if 4 of Oxford, Dorking, Ebbsfleet, Eastleigh or Maidenhead go down there's gonna be a ridiculously southern team in the Conference North next season. Probably even worse than Bishop's Stortford.
And Wealdstone, and Dagenham & Redbridge... neither of whom are safe yet.

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:52 am

TripWookiees wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:29 am
TripWookiees wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:24 am

Dagenham will be fine unless they lose every game 3-0.

Kanu's Nan

Post by Kanu's Nan » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:01 pm

Meerkat wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:20 am
Some of us may still have it saved as a GIF and pop it in group chats from time to time.

Rendell cried that night. Glorious.
self appointed protector of the downtrodden

TripWookiees

Post by TripWookiees » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:10 pm

Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:52 am
TripWookiees wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:29 am

Dagenham will be fine unless they lose every game 3-0.
Their next four games are all six-pointers – Boreham Wood (A), Ebbsfleet (H), Woking (A), Hartlepool (A). Lose more than they win here, and they’ll be in the mix on the last day… against play-off chasing Aldershot Town.

A long-shot to go down, obviously, but – given the nature of their final five fixtures – certainly not impossible.

Old Woking United

Post by Old Woking United » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:05 pm

Buts and it's!, but if Farnborough continue with there current form and sneak promotion will that put pay to our usual Xmas/new year hate fest with the Aldershot?. I'm hoping not cos looking unlikely but conceivably it could end up Ald v Farn, Wok v Dorking.🤨. Realistically Farnborough and Dorking won't be playing NL next season anyway I'm just hoping the fixtures we all(both sides) love to hate will still be happening. Usually all good stuff/banter 🤟🤍♥️

KT15 Card

Post by KT15 Card » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:11 pm

Old Woking United wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:05 pm
Buts and it's!, but if Farnborough continue with there current form and sneak promotion will that put pay to our usual Xmas/new year hate fest with the Aldershot?. I'm hoping not cos looking unlikely but conceivably it could end up Ald v Farn, Wok v Dorking.🤨. Realistically Farnborough and Dorking won't be playing NL next season anyway I'm just hoping the fixtures we all(both sides) love to hate will still be happening. Usually all good stuff/banter 🤟🤍♥️
I'd take anything as long as we're at home on Boxing Day!

Bertie

Post by Bertie » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:17 pm

KT15 Card wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:11 pm
Old Woking United wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:05 pm
I'd take anything as long as we're at home on Boxing Day!
My understanding is that Surrey Police won't sanction us being at home on Boxing Day because of racing at Kempton Park on Boxing Day because it stretches their resources

JGreenwood91

Post by JGreenwood91 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:24 pm

Bertie wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:17 pm
My understanding is that Surrey Police won't sanction us being at home on Boxing Day because of racing at Kempton Park on Boxing Day because it stretches their resources
This gets wheeled out a lot but in recent years we've played Sutton, Hampton and Farnborough at home on Boxing Day. Happy to be proved wrong but never seen or heard any firm evidence on this.

Surely horse racing is managed almost entirely by private security/stewarding anyway?

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:50 pm

JGreenwood91 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:24 pm
Bertie wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:17 pm
This gets wheeled out a lot but in recent years we've played Sutton, Hampton and Farnborough at home on Boxing Day. Happy to be proved wrong but never seen or heard any firm evidence on this.

Surely horse racing is managed almost entirely by private security/stewarding anyway?
But I imagine we wouldn’t need many police at home to Hampton compared to Aldershot at home.

Surely Surrey Police could find two wet wipes to stand there with a camcorder on Boxing Day?

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:47 pm

After today:

Kiddy likely need 3 wins from 4 and have Chestefield away on Monday.
Dorking likely need 3 wins from 5.

Those two look very likely to go.

The remaining spot is between Bwood, Wealdstone, Ebbsfleet, Maidenhead, us and possibly York.

Kingfield Roader

Post by Kingfield Roader » Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:26 pm

What we want today:

Fylde v Gateshead - Gateshead win (though Fylde are all but safe)
Aldershot v Dorking - Aldershot win 🤮 (pretty crucial too)
Chesterfield v Kiddy - Chesterfield win (big on the beach territory though)
Dagenham v Ebbsfleet - Dagenham win
Eastleigh v Maidenhead - Eastleigh win
Halifax v York postponed - handy for fixture congestion for York
Southend v Boreham Wood - Southend win
Wealdstone v Solihull - Solihull win

The Dorking/Kiddy ones feel like the biggest because defeats could almost bury them - great if boreham wood lose too

Ian B

Post by Ian B » Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:40 pm

These wish lists aren't turning out too well.

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:46 pm

We shouldn’t have to worry about Dorking now.

Boreham Wood need to beat Wealdstone on Saturday I’d say.

Whoever wins out of York v Eastleigh on Saturday will be safe.

RedRich

Post by RedRich » Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:54 pm

Boreham Wood have just announced their manager Luke Garrard will leave at the end of the season after a “disastrous season.”

wokingcardinal

Post by wokingcardinal » Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:58 pm

RedRich wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:54 pm
Boreham Wood have just announced their manager Luke Garrard will leave at the end of the season after a “disastrous season.”
might be too late by then (hopefully) I wonder if he was ever on our "list" I have to admit I would have quite liked him at the time, not so much now though!

Calluna Card

Post by Calluna Card » Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:28 pm

Could do with Halifax turning over York tonight.

Bar a catastrophe/freak result (seen plenty of them over last week or two) at least our goal difference looks as good as an extra point right now and that may well prove to be the difference.

Can't believe Chesterfield have lost their last two to our relegation rivals, just our luck I suppose. Hopefully they'll turn it back on against Wealdstone this weekend.

It's a guessing game but I think it's only Kiddy that can realistically catch us now. Boreham Wood v Wealdstone is win win for us either way (would gladly take a draw.) Could end up in a situation where a draw at York would suit both teams. Think Wealdstone will go. Sadly it looks like Dorking have gone.

Ultimately we need one win. I have faith we can at least draw the next three.

COYC

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:42 pm

Calluna Card wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:28 pm
Could do with Halifax turning over York tonight.

Bar a catastrophe/freak result (seen plenty of them over last week or two) at least our goal difference looks as good as an extra point right now and that may well prove to be the difference.

Can't believe Chesterfield have lost their last two to our relegation rivals, just our luck I suppose. Hopefully they'll turn it back on against Wealdstone this weekend.

It's a guessing game but I think it's only Kiddy that can realistically catch us now. Boreham Wood v Wealdstone is win win for us either way (would gladly take a draw.) Could end up in a situation where a draw at York would suit both teams. Think Wealdstone will go. Sadly it looks like Dorking have gone.

Ultimately we need one win. I have faith we can at least draw the next three.

COYC
Aldershot are doing their best to keep it interesting too… drawing to Dorking, losing 4-0 to Maidenhead and losing to York. At least they beat Ebbsfleet.

oakie

Post by oakie » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:56 pm

Ahead of Halifax/York tonight

Eastleigh (50 : -14) York (A), Kiddie (A), Wealdstone (A), Halifax (H)
WOKING (49 : -8) D&R (H), York (A), Fylde (H)
Ebbsfleet (49 : -11) Fylde (H), Solihull (A), Altrincham (H), Halifax (A), BW (A)
York (49 : -14) Halifax (A), Eastleigh (H), WOKING (H), Solihull (A)
Wealdstone (47 : -10) BW (A), Southend (H), Dorking (H), Chesterfield (H), Eastleigh (H), Oldham (A)
-- DROP ZONE --
Kiddie (46 : -13) Halifax (H), Eastleigh (H), Barnet (A)
BW (44 : -21) Wealdstone (H), Rochdale (A), Aldershot (A), Ebbsfleet (H)
Dorking (43 : -28) Altrincham (H), Wealdstone (A), Rochdale (A), Hartlepool (H)
Oxford - RELEGATED