Tuesday thoughts & MDs Record so far

Post by Kingfield Ender » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:52 am

Played 9
Won 2
Drawn 3
Lost 4

Scored 6
Conceded 9

Hardly a massive BOUNCE, however there is promise and there's been some very hard games in there. He's turning the ship around slowly. I like him as a manager, he's identified so many problems and is sorting them out

Defence is doing ok, I think its still 7th best in the league. AAJ has shown he's been an upgrade on Will in goal and DKE has given us something extra at right back

Glad he's cleared the midfield out for Luker and Edwards to show that they are a serious upgrade on anything that preceded them and Smith maybe another creative spark in there. Ince showed on sat they he can still put one foot in front of the other and that certainly helped

However upfront we still need someone in addition to what we have and the next 5 games are pivotal to our survival chances. If only RGC and Browne were able to stay fit for more than 5 mins, I feel cheated by these two this season, Browne has been poor by his standards and as for RGC !.

We need home wins for Aldershot, Solihull and York tonight

I have a feeling York and Fylde (5 wins and a draw since appointing a new manager) will get themselves out of trouble before we play them (Our last 2 games) and Kiddy have won 4 out of 4 since Phil Brown was appointed). Is there anyone else who's getting dragged into the mire ?
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

darreng

Re: Tuesday thoughts & MDs Record so far

Post by darreng » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:09 am

Eastleigh and Wealdstone are dropping at the moment.

Halifax were poor until they ran into Dorking (sounds familiar) and teams have dropped from there before (again sounds familiar).

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:43 am

Eastleigh should be OK - they have the bottom two to play next and have McCallum who scores for fun.

I can't see us getting in anyone else up front. We recently signed Walker and Kendall and the last couple of matches we've only played 1 up front.

It's hard to know who we could get without having yet another striker signed until the end of 24/25 in addition to Pavey, Walker, Kendall and Grego-Cox (+maybe Browne).

Kanu's Nan

Post by Kanu's Nan » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:47 am

We need wingers before we need strikers. I like what MD has done and I like the style he's trying to play, but overlapping full-backs need to be able to cross it and one definitely can't whilst the jury is out on the other. it's all a bit 4-2-3-1 for me at times - had we not equalised on Saturday evening I think the first signs of feedback might have come from the terraces as to our reluctance to change system.
self appointed protector of the downtrodden

Tim

Post by Tim » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:51 am

Kanu's Nan wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:47 am
We need wingers before we need strikers. I like what MD has done and I like the style he's trying to play, but overlapping full-backs need to be able to cross it and one definitely can't whilst the jury is out on the other. it's all a bit 4-2-3-1 for me at times - had we not equalised on Saturday evening I think the first signs of feedback might have come from the terraces as to our reluctance to change system.
Apparently Charlie Wakefield is fit again now

oakie

Post by oakie » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:55 am

Tim wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:51 am
Apparently Charlie Wakefield is fit again now
we are saved....

JAM

Post by JAM » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:09 am

some interesting thoughts already in this thread, and I am sure there will be more to come

with regards to MD sorting out the defence and midfield, I agree. Dyche, DKE, Edwards and Luker are all upgrades on what was there before. KE is right that the bit that needs sorting is up top, and specifically scoring goals. Hopefully Walker getting 2 in 2 will help his confidence, and as has been said elsewhere, he is an ideal striker in the 4-2-3-1 formation as his hold up play is very good.
If we continue with that formation, I can see Browne (when fit) playing behind Walker 'in the hole', which he did really well at Oldham a few weeks ago. The conundrum is RGC. Im not sure he is a lone striker, so im not sure how he fits into that system, and thats on him being and staying fit.

as for wingers, we have plenty of them. Luker, Lewis, Osew, Korboa can play out there, as well as the lesser spotted Wakefield.
The issue may be by sticking with that formation is that if Luker, Browne, Lewis as an example are the 3 behind Walker, we have A LOT of options for the 2 in midfield. Oyeleke, Akinola, Ince, Kellerman, Anderson, Edwards, Smith

The squad is there when all fit (keep coming back to that) to get us out of the situation we are in.

1 final note on the 'manager bounce'. It doesnt always mean that when a new boss comes in, they hit the ground running. I agree that MD has started to show what he wants and expects from the squad, and is trying to get us to play a good brand of football. An example of the new manager not working so far can be seen at what was described as the best team in the league last season, Notts County. Not going well for them since they appointed Maynard.

JamesShot

Post by JamesShot » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:14 am

Fylde have already overtaken you so in their case it’s a matter of you keeping up with them.

Kidderminster are on form and Ebbsfleet are starting to show some signs of a fight in them now. You can’t afford to lose those two upcoming games.

Wealdstone’s home form I feel will keep them safe. Eastleigh seem to be the team in the biggest rut at the moment, Maidenhead could fall off like last season but they always seem to do enough. York have terrible home form.

Playing Wealdstone at home may be to your advantage, they are as bad away results wise as you are at home. You have a respectable away record and could be playing Halifax at the right time. They were awful second half when we were there the other week.

Next 5 games will be telling, you have a very tough 4 games after that, which on paper if you get any points from will be a bonus.

KT15 Card

Post by KT15 Card » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:17 am

Having no decent wingers has been a problem all season, particularly on the right. Dennon does a job, but I feel we should be getting better on a decent budget like ours.

There's no denying we need alot of changes in the summer or we stay up, but surely this area should be a priority. Hopefully we might even get one in soon!

JAM

Post by JAM » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:20 am

JamesShot wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:14 am
Fylde have already overtaken you so in their case it’s a matter of you keeping up with them.

Kidderminster are on form and Ebbsfleet are starting to show some signs of a fight in them now. You can’t afford to lose those two upcoming games.

Wealdstone’s home form I feel will keep them safe. Eastleigh seem to be the team in the biggest rut at the moment, Maidenhead could fall off like last season but they always seem to do enough. York have terrible home form.

Playing Wealdstone at home may be to your advantage, they are as bad away results wise as you are at home. You have a respectable away record and could be playing Halifax at the right time. They were awful second half when we were there the other week.

Next 5 games will be telling, you have a very tough 4 games after that, which on paper if you get any points from will be a bonus.
Fylde are above us, but if you beat them tonight, they are 1 point ahead, on the same number of games, and have 3 tough games to come.

JAM

Post by JAM » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:21 am

KT15 Card wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:17 am
Having no decent wingers has been a problem all season, particularly on the right. Dennon does a job, but I feel we should be getting better on a decent budget like ours.

There's no denying we need alot of changes in the summer or we stay up, but surely this area should be a priority. Hopefully we might even get one in soon!
we didnt really have a RW last season, we had Kellerman out there most of it. Lewis is on the left, and does do a job, but as you say we could do better. However, I do feel some compare his to Daly, and they are 2 different types of wingers

Nonsense Potter

Post by Nonsense Potter » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:22 am

Got to love the mention of Wakefield in this thread. He's played well once in his time at the club, against a team multiple leagues below us, in the SSC. He's unlikely, even if fit, to make a matchday squad before the end of the season unless we suffer another injury crisis. Absolute clusterfudge of a signing from Sarll.
Scorer of possibly the greatest goal in the history of the Woking FC Supporters' team

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:34 am

Lewis does a job?

He beats a player, stops and thinks 'I've beaten someone' and then loses the ball or doesnt cross it. Another terrible signing

Tim

Post by Tim » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:39 am

We now have a squad of 24 most of them now fit surely someone will take Wakefield and Habergam on loan save us a few £s

Lurker

Post by Lurker » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:41 am

I'd say there are two related issues here: the first is that none of our so-called wingers have the quality to deliver an accurate cross, the second is that they've got no striker with any heading prowess to aim at in the middle anyway.

vinrouge

Post by vinrouge » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:45 am

Hopefully they can farm Wakefield out on loan somewhere which could help get another striker in!?!!

JamesShot

Post by JamesShot » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:54 am

JAM wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:20 am
JamesShot wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:14 am

Fylde are above us, but if you beat them tonight, they are 1 point ahead, on the same number of games, and have 3 tough games to come.
True, I’d like to think that despite their very good recent run that we will beat them tonight. On the whole we do have one of the best home records. That said what I meant was Fylde will still be above you therefore you are chasing them now and not the other way round.

I’m sure on this rare occasion you’ll be hoping for a Shots win, but the real focus as always has to be on your own results. You could very well have a Fylde/Kiddie like burst of results the next 5 games. Manage that and you’ll be close to safe.

JAM

Post by JAM » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:00 am

JamesShot wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:54 am
JAM wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:20 am

what I meant was Fylde will still be above you therefore you are chasing them now and not the other way round.

the real focus as always has to be on your own results.
They will be but, including tonight, they have a run of 4 tough games, whereas we have a better run coming up (hopefully)

And thats it in a nutshell. Concentrate on what we can do, and worry about everything else afterwards. Of course tonight is slightly different as we will be looking at other results as we dont have a game

Kanu's Nan

Post by Kanu's Nan » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:01 am

JAM wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:09 am
some interesting thoughts already in this thread, and I am sure there will be more to come

with regards to MD sorting out the defence and midfield, I agree. Dyche, DKE, Edwards and Luker are all upgrades on what was there before. KE is right that the bit that needs sorting is up top, and specifically scoring goals. Hopefully Walker getting 2 in 2 will help his confidence, and as has been said elsewhere, he is an ideal striker in the 4-2-3-1 formation as his hold up play is very good.
If we continue with that formation, I can see Browne (when fit) playing behind Walker 'in the hole', which he did really well at Oldham a few weeks ago. The conundrum is RGC. Im not sure he is a lone striker, so im not sure how he fits into that system, and thats on him being and staying fit.

as for wingers, we have plenty of them. Luker, Lewis, Osew, Korboa can play out there, as well as the lesser spotted Wakefield.
The issue may be by sticking with that formation is that if Luker, Browne, Lewis as an example are the 3 behind Walker, we have A LOT of options for the 2 in midfield. Oyeleke, Akinola, Ince, Kellerman, Anderson, Edwards, Smith

The squad is there when all fit (keep coming back to that) to get us out of the situation we are in.

1 final note on the 'manager bounce'. It doesnt always mean that when a new boss comes in, they hit the ground running. I agree that MD has started to show what he wants and expects from the squad, and is trying to get us to play a good brand of football. An example of the new manager not working so far can be seen at what was described as the best team in the league last season, Notts County. Not going well for them since they appointed Maynard.
I appreciate what overall point you are trying to make but even so -

Luker: not a winger
Lewis: works hard but not good as a beat a man, deliver a cross, stay wide winger
Osew: barely a footballer
Korboa: doesn't work hard enough as a winger, which is odd considering he does as a forward
Wakefield: not able to stay fit

So that's more the issue I meant. The people who "can play out there" aren't wingers. And it's not about getting the cross in for someone to attack per se (although that helps) it's about drawing defenders wide to create space for the embarrassment of riches we now seem to have in centre midfield and then whoever the 10 is. BWood was the example here - the full-back could stay tucked in and say go on Josh, beat me and whip in a cross. He can't and Lewis didn't stay wide enough to create the 2-on-1, so that led to the middle being squeezed. The only time it happened Saturday, Casey's nutmeg caused carnage which led to the broken down play that allowed Edwards to recycle the cross that Walker scored from.

Notts just as a final point are interesting - they'd started to wobble a fair bit under Williams, conceding lots of goals and a far lower PPG return. Maynard may have gone in at the worst time.
self appointed protector of the downtrodden

jonwoozley

Post by jonwoozley » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:10 am

Kanu's Nan wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:47 am
Agree, we need to upgrade wingers, but also, who are they crossing to? There's nobody to win a header.
I have another 7 three year plans in me if I'm lucky.

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:43 am

RGC used to be good in the air, but now he can't get off the ground

Calluna Card

Post by Calluna Card » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:20 pm

Kanu's Nan wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:01 am

Osew: barely a footballer
You can't have been at Dorking away?

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:37 pm

And if you're into stats, under MD we've scored at 0.67 goals per game, in the previous 23 games we'd scored at 1.13 goals per game

Defensively its 1 goal per game under MD and before him 1.34 goals per game conceded so thats improvement even it if means we've got duller

Bertie

Post by Bertie » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:44 pm

Hopefully Ebbsfleet won't get new manager bounce either

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68284247

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:03 pm

And from his 9 games so far a point a game

In the preceding 23 games we managed 1.08 pts a game so we've got worse

Its going to be so tight. If we fail it'll be down to the period between Sarlls sacking and the appointment of MD
Last edited by Kingfield Ender on Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.