Player and fan connection?

Cardinal1980

Player and fan connection?

Post by Cardinal1980 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:04 am

Reflecting on Saturday and after calming down from all the excitement, I can’t help but think about the fact that has bothered me, particularly towards the back end of the season. It’s that the players don’t seem to have any connection with the fans.

The supposed ‘lap of appreciation’ was rather awful, leaving the fans down our end (the KRE) of the pitch waiting, then only half of the players heading down there and joking around amongst themselves rather than paying the fans any attention. They headed straight for the LGS and moaners, was almost as if they forgot about everyone else and was all a bit awkward. Even Casey (who from previous seasons would rally the group and ‘push’ them down to us in the KRE) seems unbothered.

I don’t my any means expect the regimented Sarll routine of standing and clapping for an hour, but it just seems so disjointed. It’s the same pretty much every post match, but I expected yesterday there might be a bit more unity I guess. It all just seems a bit odd.

I’m hoping it’s just down to this current crop of players and things change next year.

Kingfield Ender

Re: Player and fan connection?

Post by Kingfield Ender » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:11 am

Excellent point, Its hard to even know who these players are. Sarll didnt like them doing any interviews did he?

There are hardly any songs for any of our players, that tells you a lot about the current crop.

I like the player interviews we've had recently with DKE, Cuthbert etc. We need more of that going forward to actually understand who the players actually are. They should also be more present after the game rather than simply sloping off with their ear-pods in and ignoring everyone, some of the young kids in the fanzone want photos and autographs and they should oblige
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

Wokingcard

Post by Wokingcard » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:17 am

I think some of it was embarrassment and not wanting to be seen to celebrate a poor season!

Nonsense Potter

Post by Nonsense Potter » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:20 am

Whilst I think it's often about individuals' confidence/charisma, it's certainly got worse in the last couple of seasons. I'd forgive Doyle's influence though, as he's been fighting relegation and as per the other thread, there aren't exactly loads of players who are likely to be around next season, who the supporters clearly rate!

Something for the club to work on next season.
Scorer of possibly the greatest goal in the history of the Woking FC Supporters' team

rosemaryj

Post by rosemaryj » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:32 am

I think that a lot of the loss of connection between fans and players was because the previous manager didn't encourage it - both in the lounge and in the ground. Players would get on the coach, when away, in the compound so people travelling on the supporters coach didn't have the chance to interact. They never came in the bar at the end of the match and would exit via the compound area(and come in that way).

Even some of those who sponsored players shirts didn't get the chance to meet the player who they were actually sponsoring.

When our new manager came in - the damage had been done, and I am sure by that time the players would have felt fans might get on their backs.

However I would say that the minute the new manager came in players would be in the lounge before the match and also man of the match would come straight in - which did not happen with the previous manager - on occasions they did not come in at all- and people had paid good money to hand over the player of the match award.

For next season this is another area that has to be sorted out and hopefully will be.

Rosemary

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:51 am

Wokingcard wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:17 am
I think some of it was embarrassment and not wanting to be seen to celebrate a poor season!
Yeah - agree with this.

It's difficult to get a balance between acknowledgment of a poor season vs seeming happy/relieved that we stayed up vs Aldershot's winning the league style celebrations when they stayed up at Kingfield about 10 years ago.

The Sarll Awkward Clap Off TM is always less awkward at home because the players can walk round the ground clapping. Rather than just standing still in one place for about a minute.

I know everyone slags off Dowse for being 'unprofessional' but it did seem like the players cared about the club a bit more when he was around.

It's too early to judge Doyle on the 'fans connection' bit I'd say.

Sarll was just an oddball. Trying too much to come across as a 'I'm in charge of everything here' man. I stopped watching his interviews after it just became him trying to show off his 'hard nosed' character.

Nico

Post by Nico » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:15 pm

All the players were in the bar (many with their partners and kids) after the match on Saturday and mixing with the fans - there was a live band. I said to a few 'this is what a football club is all about' and they were all loving it - and looking like a weight had been lifted. Obviously it helps that we'd won, its the end of season and for everyone a huge pressure was finally over. Hopefully quite a few will be at the Woking weekender like last year and we can get back to a bit more of that next season

Wokingcard

Post by Wokingcard » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:36 pm

Also great to see Casey give his shirt to a disabled fan after the game. He always seems to make an effort to see her after home games

wokingcardinal

Post by wokingcardinal » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:39 pm

Luker Gave his shirt to a kid at the end of the game, Doyle in his interview said he wanted to improve the community stuff next season, he had a lot to do this season when he cam in, so we can hardly blame him for overlooking it.

doylie

Post by doylie » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:50 pm

Wokingcard wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:36 pm
Also great to see Casey give his shirt to a disabled fan after the game. He always seems to make an effort to see her after home games
He goes over to her every home game, it absolutely makes her day (and mine) - a true gentleman.
Memories of the past, visions of the future - follow on Twitter and Instagram
https://twitter.com/cardinal_tales

WFC96

Post by WFC96 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:17 pm

Casey is a top top bloke. A few of the newer players (Luker, Kendall) also did this as did Browne. Habits take a while to change but I think Doyle has made it clear that he wants to have that connection. I think once he's had an offseason to bring in his guys, this will change.

Cardbattery

Post by Cardbattery » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:47 pm

Building a connection between fans and players will hopefully improve our performances in big games such as the derby. It goes both ways and the KRE could do its part in making a connection with players through chants and support

TripWookiees

Post by TripWookiees » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:13 pm

Cardbattery wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:47 pm
Building a connection between fans and players will hopefully improve our performances in big games such as the derby. It goes both ways and the KRE could do its part in making a connection with players through chants and support
Totally agree. When we’re clear on who’s here next season, a few supportive / motivational / amusing player chants will go down well. This is a two-way street and we have to play our part.

As stated above in the thread, Michael Doyle has been very clear that going forward community connection is essential. Since coming in he’s obviously had to focus on National League survival as the top (and indeed only) priority but now the task-at-hand is achieved I fully expect a very intentional focus on fan-community-player relations beginning this summer.

JGreenwood91

Post by JGreenwood91 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:48 pm

I do agree with the need for a better connection (and a genuine one, not Sarll passive aggressively clapping) but it is really tricky in a season like this. Choice words were shouted at Ebbsfleet (which may have played a part in keeping us up!) and other games, and I can see why players and staff might not want to rush over and dive into the fans when something good happens.

The plan next season should include winning more and someone celebrating in front of the fans as much as Ross used to. Miss that!

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:01 pm

JGreenwood91 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:48 pm

The plan next season should include winning more
By jove I think he's cracked it!
Woking FC: Purveyors of outstanding highs and lows to me since 1978.
Https://www.oldfootballgames.co.uk always looking to buy old football games.
Best prices paid for old Woking FC programmes. Please get in touch if you have any to sell 1920s to 1960s.

MattyC1968

Post by MattyC1968 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:39 pm

doylie wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:50 pm
Wokingcard wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:36 pm
He goes over to her every home game, it absolutely makes her day (and mine) - a true gentleman.
She and her dad used to watch him when he played for Hampton and Richmond, and they have followed him to Woking, so he always makes the effort to come and see them after matches. Lovely to see.