Ex-Player update: May 2022

Chobham Card
Posts: 2792
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:53 pm
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 49 times

Re: Ex-Player update: May 2022

Post by Chobham Card » Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:44 pm

Slavi Spasov setting up Jonny Goddard for Slough is worth a watch.

The Cardinal One
Posts: 751
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:16 pm
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Ex-Player update: May 2022

Post by The Cardinal One » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:04 pm

Matt Robinson just scored for Boreham wood. I have no idea why we let him go when we’re in desperate need for a midfielder. But loaning to a relegation rival is just crazy.
Woking FC's unofficial statistician.

JAM
Posts: 3322
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:01 am
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: Ex-Player update: May 2022

Post by JAM » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:00 pm

Point of order
He’s currently not an ex player

The Cardinal One
Posts: 751
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:16 pm
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Ex-Player update: May 2022

Post by The Cardinal One » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:15 pm

Excellent news. That makes him our top scorer this year. I can’t wait to see him line up against Boreham Wood next Saturday.
Woking FC's unofficial statistician.

flagman
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:01 pm
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Ex-Player update: May 2022

Post by flagman » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:40 am

Effiong scores two for Dagenham to nick the points v Dorking. When he left, I was quite pleased, wanting an upgrade but in hindsight maybe we should have kept him . There don’t seem to be too many of that striker mould around , he might have really got a good partnership going with Amond .

wokingcardinal
Posts: 3243
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:34 am
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: Ex-Player update: May 2022

Post by wokingcardinal » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:04 am

flagman wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:40 am
Effiong scores two for Dagenham to nick the points v Dorking. When he left, I was quite pleased, wanting an upgrade but in hindsight maybe we should have kept him . There don’t seem to be too many of that striker mould around , he might have really got a good partnership going with Amond .
We offered him a deal didn't we?

Nonsense Potter
Posts: 6042
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:22 am
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 365 times

Re: Ex-Player update: May 2022

Post by Nonsense Potter » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:59 am

flagman wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:40 am
Effiong scores two for Dagenham to nick the points v Dorking. When he left, I was quite pleased, wanting an upgrade but in hindsight maybe we should have kept him . There don’t seem to be too many of that striker mould around , he might have really got a good partnership going with Amond .
He'd have been a great option off the bench last season. This season we haven't functioned at all up top, so he'd have made a big difference.

Can't imagine Daggers spent a fraction on Inih that we spent on Pavey.
Scorer of possibly the greatest goal in the history of the Woking FC Supporters' team

Calluna Card
Posts: 598
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:29 pm
Location: East Surrey
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: Ex-Player update: May 2022

Post by Calluna Card » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:34 am

Effiong is another one of those players that seemed to go sour for us- or at the very least divided opinion towards the end- but then has done a decent job elsewhere. No doubt whatsoever that Ince will come back and haunt us if those Aldershot rumours (which to the best of my knowledge have yet to be stood up) come to fruition.

AshWFC
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:59 pm
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Ex-Player update: May 2022

Post by AshWFC » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:55 am

Inih? Technically talentless, yellow-card-collecting Sunday League striker according to Cardsboard, and our social media warriors.

Dackers featured in 19 games in the second half of last season for us. I believe we'd have got plenty of mileage out of Inih if we'd coughed up for the 2 year contract he wanted.

Kingfield Ender
Posts: 8395
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:48 am
Has thanked: 440 times
Been thanked: 379 times

Re: Ex-Player update: May 2022

Post by Kingfield Ender » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:16 am

Apart from the fact he walked out of Aldershot wanting to be closer to home

But I liked him in both his spells, always gave it everything
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

flagman
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:01 pm
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Ex-Player update: May 2022

Post by flagman » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:54 am

I really liked his confidence, he would take the free kick just outside the penalty area, ball ending up over the goal and out the ground . Five minutes later , we would get another free kick and he would want to take that one . His rating has definitely gone up since he left , in fact you could probably say we never replaced him , like for like.

KT15 Card
Posts: 2999
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:52 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 72 times

Re: Ex-Player update: May 2022

Post by KT15 Card » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:21 am

When I first saw Inih in the summer of 2017, I certainly did smirk a few times. He changed my mind though and I really enjoyed watching him in both spells.

When he gets a decent run of games, he scores goals, something we could desperately do with!

Chobham Card
Posts: 2792
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:53 pm
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 49 times

Re: Ex-Player update: May 2022

Post by Chobham Card » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:54 am

Always loved Inih. The abuse he got at Daggers from us was proper embarrassing, a low point of this season for me. Singing about someone dying on the pitch and then having them shut you up with a 90-somethingth minute winner is the absolute embodiment of karma.
The Cardinal One wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:04 pm
Matt Robinson just scored for Boreham wood. I have no idea why we let him go when we’re in desperate need for a midfielder. But loaning to a relegation rival is just crazy.
The day after we loaned him out, we beat Fylde 2-0, on September 30th. We were outside the playoffs on goals scored, and Boreham Wood were a point above the drop zone.

He'd started one game that month because he's spent most of August lumbering about looking like I imagine I would in central midfield, and a shadow of the great player he was at Dagenham. We had Ince, Kellermann, Anderson (I know) and Oyeleke (I know), were teaching Akinola how to play DM, and brought in both O'Connell and Williams who could both play there a week later.

That's why we let him go. At the time, it was moving on a player we were carrying and who I assume is on a fairly big wage, to a team we expected to be nowhere near, so we could save a bit of money and make the team better. Funny how things change.

AshWFC
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:59 pm
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Ex-Player update: May 2022

Post by AshWFC » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:01 pm

Kingfield Ender wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:16 am
Apart from the fact he walked out of Aldershot wanting to be closer to home

But I liked him in both his spells, always gave it everything
There aren't many players who we can say have played both regularly and well pretty consistently under 3 different managers for us. I'm really hopeful that by the end of the season we're adding Casey and Ince to that list.

Card Sharp
Posts: 3073
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:50 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Ex-Player update: May 2022

Post by Card Sharp » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:54 pm

AshWFC wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:01 pm
Kingfield Ender wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:16 am
Apart from the fact he walked out of Aldershot wanting to be closer to home

But I liked him in both his spells, always gave it everything
There aren't many players who we can say have played both regularly and well pretty consistently under 3 different managers for us. I'm really hopeful that by the end of the season we're adding Casey and Ince to that list.
Haha......Ince.

AshWFC
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:59 pm
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Ex-Player update: May 2022

Post by AshWFC » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:57 am

Yep, I understand he's been very poor this season, but perhaps due to being here through three managers, doesn't get the same slack cut for him that others do that he might also have been mismanaged by the previous manager.

You know the last player before Inih who I can remember being good for us under three different managers? Kane Ferdinand... Always used to be the immediate scapegoat when things weren't going well for us then, too. Just a coincidence that because they played midfield and had a famous surname they drew more ire, right? Besides, he's barely featured in half our games, so can't be the only problem.

Card Sharp
Posts: 3073
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:50 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Ex-Player update: May 2022

Post by Card Sharp » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:00 am

He isn't the only problem. No. But he's an expensive one. And it's not just this season he's been poor. Last season there were too many games he was anonymous.

He is more profile than others so stands to reason he would attract more criticism.

Do you offer any scapegoats? Or is it the pitch, other teams have more money, less injuries?

Adrian
Posts: 3578
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:07 pm
Has thanked: 796 times
Been thanked: 125 times

Re: Ex-Player update: May 2022

Post by Adrian » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:07 am

Looking forward to see everyone again at Kingfield, soon.
Some interesting conversations will be had.

Kanu's Nan
Posts: 3997
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:24 am
Has thanked: 270 times
Been thanked: 384 times

Re: Ex-Player update: May 2022

Post by Kanu's Nan » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:36 am

AshWFC wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:57 am
Yep, I understand he's been very poor this season, but perhaps due to being here through three managers, doesn't get the same slack cut for him that others do that he might also have been mismanaged by the previous manager.

You know the last player before Inih who I can remember being good for us under three different managers? Kane Ferdinand... Always used to be the immediate scapegoat when things weren't going well for us then, too. Just a coincidence that because they played midfield and had a famous surname they drew more ire, right? Besides, he's barely featured in half our games, so can't be the only problem.
I don't remember Ferdinand being good for us under any managers.

Anyway. One of the reason Ince gets more shit than Kane (Which I'm not sure he does anyway, on here maybe but not at the ground) is because his ceiling is so much higher and he therefore costs us more money. Was it you that I debated this with last year regarding his 4/10 games when we lose and 9/10 when we win? I meant that as a compliment. Ince's issue is he has too many 4/10 games and this season when he's played, he's not got anywhere near a 9/10.

We shouldn't be scared of him excelling elsewhere - as long as we invest the wage savings or any fee to improve us, that's the point of assets.

I would love nothing more than him to go back to first half of last season Ince (except the Barnet away version) but it grates on me that "he needs good players around him" to do so. He's experienced enough and skilled enough - and paid enough - that he should be able to drag us by the scruff of the neck when they aren't.
self appointed protector of the downtrodden

AshWFC
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:59 pm
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Ex-Player update: May 2022

Post by AshWFC » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:50 am

I agree with a lot of what you say KN. I can't defend what I've seen of him this season and only expressed that I desperately hope under Doyler it changes - his record when he features this season is abysmal frankly. Now it's Akinola getting shit despite the fact he wasn't even signed to play midfield, but is doing so due to that fact.

That being said, he was still copping flack first half of the last season, despite being pretty exceptional almost all season really, with far more 8-9 out of 10s than 4s or 5s... not to mention being one of the league leaders in terms of some key lynchpin midfielder stats despite the dominance of Wrexham and County. Where that player has gone I don't know... certainly shows that the continuity in the team around him was vitally important to his performance levels (reminds me of... Oh... Kane Ferdinand again...)

Rio
Posts: 1442
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:36 pm
Has thanked: 153 times
Been thanked: 61 times

Re: Ex-Player update: May 2022

Post by Rio » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:30 am

AshWFC wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:50 am
I agree with a lot of what you say KN. I can't defend what I've seen of him this season and only expressed that I desperately hope under Doyler it changes - his record when he features this season is abysmal frankly. Now it's Akinola getting shit despite the fact he wasn't even signed to play midfield, but is doing so due to that fact.

That being said, he was still copping flack first half of the last season, despite being pretty exceptional almost all season really, with far more 8-9 out of 10s than 4s or 5s... not to mention being one of the league leaders in terms of some key lynchpin midfielder stats despite the dominance of Wrexham and County. Where that player has gone I don't know... certainly shows that the continuity in the team around him was vitally important to his performance levels (reminds me of... Oh... Kane Ferdinand again...)
The Ince and Akinola comparisons aren't a level playing field. Akinola isn't void of heart and effort, but he's not a DM.
Ince should be an absolute colossal, on his day his best makes him top 5 midfielders in the league. Last year it was a 1 in 3 game show (he gets the criticism because he's our highest paid player and 30 years old, he shouldn't be so inconsistent). I don't remember a single game this season he's been a part of and dominated. His tracking back is lazy, his challenges waft a leggy, he can, could and should be doing better.

The car crash going on around him may not help - maybe he's still injured, maybe he's just a sulky sack, but he's been a large part of the problem in not doing the job he was recruited for and its costing us on more level than one.

Card Sharp
Posts: 3073
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:50 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Ex-Player update: May 2022

Post by Card Sharp » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:08 pm

Absolutely Rio.

In the last couple of days we've had Podge put alongside Buzaglo and Walker, and Ince being 'Exceptional' almost all of last season.

AshWFC
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:59 pm
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Ex-Player update: May 2022

Post by AshWFC » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:39 pm

Ok, entitled to your respective views. I concede their validity even if they're missing what the actual conversation around said players is, mind.

With respect, saying he was only bothered 1 in every 3 games last season is total bollocks, with profoundly lacking evidence, from my point of view... But there we go.

Card Sharp
Posts: 3073
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:50 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Ex-Player update: May 2022

Post by Card Sharp » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:44 pm

AshWFC wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:39 pm
Ok, entitled to your respective views. I concede their validity even if they're missing what the actual conversation around said players is, mind.

With respect, saying he was only bothered 1 in every 3 games last season is total bollocks, with profoundly lacking evidence, from my point of view... But there we go.
We all have different opinions. Thankfully.

With respect, 2nd half of last season and 1st of this, what would you rate Ince out of 10?

Old Woking Boy
Posts: 481
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 11:18 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Ex-Player update: May 2022

Post by Old Woking Boy » Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:13 pm

Chobham Card wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:44 pm
Slavi Spasov setting up Jonny Goddard for Slough is worth a watch.
Well worked goal from Slough. Fantastic finish from Jonny Goddard. Pleased to see him doing well. One of my all time favourite Woking players.


Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 75 guests

Cardboard

Cardsboard.co.uk is not an official message board of Woking Football Club or The Cards Trust, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Please be warned that some posts will contain swear words.

Vanarama National League Club Forums: Aldershot Town | Altrincham | Barnet | Bromley | Chesterfield | Dagenham & Redbridge | Eastleigh | Ebbsfleet United | FC Halifax Town | Gateshead | Hartlepool United | Kidderminster Harriers | Maidenhead United | Oldham Athletic | Oxford City | Rochdale | Solihull Moors | Southend United | Wealdstone | York City

Unofficial League Forums: The Conference Forum

Other Links: Cards Trust - Boost the Budget | wokingfc.co.uk | Surrey Advertiser | Woking News and Mail | BBC Sport - Woking | BBC Football Commentaries