Lurker

Re: Your Personal Woking Hall of Fame

Post by Lurker » Tue May 04, 2021 2:12 pm

Bertie wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:09 pm
wokingcardinal wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:45 am
Did nobody ever see Ade Cowler play???
The only time I think he ever made it into the opposition half was, of all places, The Hawthorns
He got quite a lot of goals for us when playing at left-back - very dangerous from corners. Once he was converted to sweeper (a genius decision), there was no way he was going up for corners as the game would have finished before he'd got back into position.

My top five favourite (as opposed to best) players:

Johnny McBride - flying winger in the Sixties who, when I was five or six, I thought must probably be the fastest man in the world. Maybe he was, but all things considered, probably not. And maybe he was crap, but he's frozen in time at a point when my five or six year old self thought he was great.

Dave Collyer - fabulous goalkeeper who had the misfortune to play in a poor team. The night he was chaired off by the home supporters at Wycombe would be repeated twenty years later by WBA fans carrying Tim Buzaglo, of course. Both of them looked distinctly nervous.

Mark Biggins - had a lot of anonymous games, but in the mood, he was the most gifted non-league player I've ever seen. I remember the game at Windsor where it was 0-0 after ten minutes or so, and the lad who was man-marking him patted his chest to the crowd to say he had Biggo in his pocket. Bad mistake. Biggins completely destroyed him after that, with their manager complaining afterwards that simply winning wasn't enough for some players.

Tim Buzaglo - before the Dowie assault, a diffident footballing genius. He was better on his weaker right foot than most strikers are on their favoured foot.

Kieran Murtagh - controversial choice (or it would be if anyone cared), but in his pomp, slim-line Murtagh was way too good for this level and a joy to watch.

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Tue May 04, 2021 2:22 pm

Will never forget that game at Windsor, Biggins had them on a string that night and at the end it was just too much for them
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

James Wade

Post by James Wade » Tue May 04, 2021 2:25 pm

Thommo - everything you want from a central midfielder
Clive - simply brilliant and full backs had no idea what to do against him
Betsy - to come back in the Twilight of his career and be so humble, professional and so damn good is a testament to him.
Foster - such a good player
Ricko - my Son's favourite player and a real pro. Ricko took time out to have a photo with him and regularly spoke to him at games after.

Honourable mentions:
Scotty
Gez
Batty - he actually went round Woking handing out flyers for his own testamonial
K Brown
Ross
Disclaimer:
"Just to be clear, I was born in Aldershot but that was the fault of my parents, so don't hold it against me"

Growler

Post by Growler » Tue May 04, 2021 2:27 pm

Off the top of my head:
Sharpling Yakubu Cassidy Clement Baron Payne (I’m choosing six because whatever the list it has to have Baron!).

At the time these were exciting players that just made things better and they were genuinely a class above what we had.

Only a couple* would make a “best of” but as the grumpy little fella has said, it’s not legends, it’s personal subjectivity here.

I could name 50 WFC “Legends” (Foster, Walker, Smith et al) but, for example, when they did the Amateur Cup commemoration it was Cass’s shirt I wanted because (exactly as Jon W said) he’d score screamers from twenty five yards every other week (or take your head off behind the goal on the grass bank) and it raised the excitement.

Sharpling and Yakubu when they were fit were amazeballs!
Plug endorses this message. Probably.

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Tue May 04, 2021 2:40 pm

We had a fantastic hour with Yakubu in the sponsors lounge where he used salt and pepper pots as players when explaining his preferred defensive strategies, some of you on here must have been there too.

AshWFC

Post by AshWFC » Tue May 04, 2021 2:42 pm

Yak marshalling us at the back, before getting crocked early doors, was the last time I genuinely believed we might be in the running for promotion to the league.

wokingcardinal

Post by wokingcardinal » Tue May 04, 2021 2:54 pm

Kanu's Nan wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:45 pm
wokingcardinal wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:43 pm

Not sure Gez would make a top 20, I can't believe someone mentioned Friel and a few Ricko!!?? The clue is in "legends" Ricko a very decent player, Friel had one(?) Good season if my memory serves me right, Legends have to be very very special players, I can't think of many of those in the last few years.
The OP didn't use the word legend!
Very true, I just think hall of famers should be legends, but of course it is down to personal preference, so it is interesting to see other peoples view, maybe my specs are rather rose tinted by the "golden years" although I didn't see plenty of dross before and certainly a lot since!!

AshWFC

Post by AshWFC » Tue May 04, 2021 3:01 pm

Hall of famers is very NFL... 'club idols'?

kansasCard

Post by kansasCard » Tue May 04, 2021 3:04 pm

Clive Walker
Scotty Steele The perfect combo. Great throw in routines. Stepover heaven.
Innsy.
Ian Selley watched him from when he was 0 years of age and upwards.
Warren Patmore - u fat bastard...
This space intentionally left blank

Colin

Post by Colin » Tue May 04, 2021 3:09 pm

What a pleasant change after all the drivel posted on here by the usual suspects lately...

I go back further than most (I saw Charlie Mortimore and I remember Geoff Chapple as a bustling midfielder) so some of my choices will be a mystery to some of the younger pups....

1. Eggie James - our first black player as I recall, quick, very stylish and a magnificent finisher
2. Clive Walker - my dad, who supported Woking from the 1930s, would forever be listing names of great players from the past and then one day, he solemnly announced that Clive had eclipsed them all and was the greatest Woking player he'd ever seen.
3. Steve Cosham - wham bam thank you m'aam striker of top order
4. Ian Selley - the class of a seasoned pro is hard to match. Instant control, time on the day, measured passes, thunderous shot, and ferocious tackling. Maybe we'd have beaten Grays in the Trophy final if he hadn't been injured in the warm-up
5. Tim Buzaglo - for West Brom, but for a lot else besides. His turn of pace, the way he turned defenders with one swivel and a lethal finisher

honourable mentions: Shane Wye, Les Barrett, Brian Fuller, Elvis Hammond, Rod Haider, Chris Sharpling and Colin Chegwyn (who only played a few matches but was one of the most skilful players I ever saw)

Baldman

Post by Baldman » Tue May 04, 2021 3:17 pm

This is a great thread. Some personal favourites mentioned... KE's list, Cowler, Mitchell, Thommo etc etc. Interesting that Walker the man somehow doesn't get the love that Walker the player might have deserved.

Some cult heroes of mine that I don't think have been mentioned but all brought me great joy

- Mark Frilly Franks - God loves a trier, so Frilly went on to be Archbishop of Canterbury later in his career. Veered from incompetence to sublime ability and always made something happen.

- Kevin Rattray - In 1993 Chapple overcame the rules of thermodynamics and unveiled Woking's own perpetual motion machine in Ratters. Rumour has it that when Vincente Del Bosque recruited Makelele in 2000, he told him to play the 'Rattray role'. Claude said it was impossible to be an attacking AND defensive midfielder at once, so he invented the 'Makelele role' instead.

- Junior Hunter - In THAT year, when we came so close, the glorious difference between the erratic and wonderful Cards and the efficient automatons of Stevenage was epitomised by the contrast between giant-faced dullard Hayles and the whirling maelstrom of Hunter. Massively fast, hugely powerful and occasionally comically violent, JH buzzed around Kingfield like a liberated Catherine Wheel. He even got those packed into the LGS off their fossilised arses.

- Innsy & Doyle - Our very own comical double act, who reminded you that football doesn't really matter, while playing like it absolutely does. Watching their bromance develop on field was charming (if a little creepy), and the on-field success they brought was secondary to the way they helped bring fans and that team together... will we ever feel like that again?

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Tue May 04, 2021 3:26 pm

Its a shame that a lot of these players were in the Pre-Internet age. So when they left it was a case of here today gone tomorrow. Such was the case with Kevin Rattray

And of course Barry Blankley

PatsWFC

Post by PatsWFC » Tue May 04, 2021 3:37 pm

Nonsense Potter wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:04 pm
PatsWFC wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:52 am
1. Mark Biggins
2. Clive Walker
3. Mark Ricketts
4. Lol Batty
5. Kevin Betsy
As we’re similar age and you’ve been going for as long as I can remember - all of yours would be top ten for me.

Biggins - literally the person I think of when someone asks why you love football.
Baron - based on distant memories, he never lost a header and didn’t ever get beaten one on one.
Brown (D) - could do everything and was just a class above anyone else
Foster - for a short while, it was like we had someone destined for the PL on board - so dominant.
Betsy - again, for a short while, but in his first spell he was so exciting. To come back and fire us to promotion, then become the best player in the Conference, was a dream ending.
Well, given our mutual love of Biggo I'd have bet my house on you picking him No.1 as well :) You summed it up there, the very player I think of if someone asks what made me love football.

Lurker

Post by Lurker » Tue May 04, 2021 3:38 pm

Kingfield Ender wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 3:26 pm
Its a shame that a lot of these players were in the Pre-Internet age. So when they left it was a case of here today gone tomorrow. Such was the case with Kevin Rattray
As observed in Spinal Tap, it's such a thin line between clever and stupid. We pulled Rattray out of Sunday league football to shine in the NL (or whatever it was called in those days). Next time we tried that trick was with Kunle...

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Tue May 04, 2021 3:43 pm

I was going to say Kunle, he wouldnt have got into the team I was playing for at the time

Kim Grant called him 'The Non-League Makelele' however he had the footballing ability of a Ukelele

Kanu's Nan

Post by Kanu's Nan » Tue May 04, 2021 4:10 pm

A non-league ukelele at that.
self appointed protector of the downtrodden

alas Tom Jones

Post by alas Tom Jones » Tue May 04, 2021 5:02 pm

Darran Hay, materialising at the far post to slot the ball in the net.

Colin

Post by Colin » Tue May 04, 2021 5:21 pm

I once wrote to Graham Taylor when he was England manager in the early 1990s telling him to pick Biggo for England as he was far better than the likes of Platt, Trevor Steven and Andy Sinton and a lot more to watch, saying that he was so versatile he'd fix the plumbing if the dressing room flooded. To his credit Graham Taylor replied in kind, thanking me for my suggestion but saying that unfortunately he'd already picked his squad for the next match and there just wasn't room to include Biggo, plumber or not.

doylie

Post by doylie » Tue May 04, 2021 5:56 pm

So many great names mentioned in this thread, for me:

1. Eggie James, my first ever true bromance, I was totally obsessed with the bloke - still am. An absolute pedigree race horse of a player, the reason I was hooked for life on the club, my old Mum still asks with a little wry smile whenever I say I’m off to Kingfield “Does Eggie James still play for them?”

2. Biggo, been said many times on this thread already, often anonymous, but when he wanted it, JEEZ, what a maverick, totally unplayable at times such as Merthyr, Windsor and the part he played in that classic third at the Hawthorns.

3. Dereck Brown, ditto Eggie James really.

4. Steve Cosham, great player and amazing perm.

5. Steve Thompson, did everything right, modest with it.

Honourable mentions, Frank Parsons, Kevin Betsy, Tony Martin, Ian Selley, Alan Morton, Trevor Baron, the Wye brothers, Flash, Cass, Steve Foster, Darran Hay, Jinky and Kevan Brown.
Memories of the past, visions of the future - follow on Instagram and Twitter
https://twitter.com/cardinal_tales

Rio

Post by Rio » Tue May 04, 2021 6:48 pm

1. Gez Sole
2. Gary Mac - mainly for admitting he intentionally elbowed that Scummer **** Elding in the face*. Also for scoring my favourite ever goal at Kingfield (last minute winner v Accy)
3. Ian Selley
4. Kevin Betsy
5. Mark Ricketts

*Honorable mention on that note to Liam Cockerill for two footing McLean in front of the KRE and only conceding a corner!

kansasCard

Post by kansasCard » Tue May 04, 2021 7:19 pm

Colin wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 5:21 pm
I once wrote to Graham Taylor when he was England manager in the early 1990s telling him to pick Biggo for England as he was far better than the likes of Platt, Trevor Steven and Andy Sinton and a lot more to watch, saying that he was so versatile he'd fix the plumbing if the dressing room flooded. To his credit Graham Taylor replied in kind, thanking me for my suggestion but saying that unfortunately he'd already picked his squad for the next match and there just wasn't room to include Biggo, plumber or not.
Graham Taylor - my favorite England manager. Some epic videos of him on yewtoob.
This space intentionally left blank

Ian B

Post by Ian B » Tue May 04, 2021 9:02 pm

From 1986 to now:
1.Tim Buzaglo
2.Clive Walker
3.Mark Biggins
4.Scott Steele
5.Gez Sole

Cardinalsarered

Post by Cardinalsarered » Tue May 04, 2021 10:07 pm

y honourable mentions are for their loyalty and service to the club over many years.
Clarrie JARMAN - lost a leg in the battle of the Somme in 1916, became the Football Club secretary from the 30's to the 60's.
Stan STURT - goalkeeper from the early 30's to writer of programme notes into the 60's.
Freddie KEEFE - played 1st game in 1945 and still playing for the club 20 years later.
Brian FINN - holds the record for the number of 1st team appearances and his shooting could match Peter Lorimer.
Paul ELMER - setting paving stones on end to create terracing on the KRE in the 60's and still volunteering his services in the 2020's.

Texas Dave

Post by Texas Dave » Tue May 04, 2021 11:52 pm

Clive Walker GOAT
Les Barratt
Kevin Betsy
Alan Morton
Eggie James
Nos facere ad eos, antequam facias nobis

Brisbane Card

Post by Brisbane Card » Wed May 05, 2021 4:19 am

1. Clive Walker ......simply the best player in the league at the time
2. Scott Steele....played great alongside the best player in the league at the time
3. Steve Thompson.....Coventry
4. Kevan Brown.....great player
5. Darren Hay......great player

Honourable mentions....Laurence Batty, Kevin Betsy, Chris Sharpling, Moses Ademola, Grant Payne