Star from Woking

northeast card

Star from Woking

Post by northeast card » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:34 pm

As a fan of Genesis in the 70s (until Peter Gabriel left) I only found out today that he was born in Woking!
Strange that there have been periodic Paul Weller/Jam threads on here but I’ve never noticed any mention of Gabriel. You learn something new every day.

doylie

Re: Star from Woking

Post by doylie » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:08 pm

I assume he still visits family locally too, I saw him wandering around Waitrose in Goldsworth Park a year or so ago.
Memories of the past, visions of the future - follow on Instagram the_cardinal_tales and Twitter
https://twitter.com/cardinal_tales

AndyT

Post by AndyT » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:11 am

According to Google both Delia Smith (let's be having you fame) and Harry Hill (him of the 1970's large collars) were both born in Woking and Status Quo's Rick Parfitt went to school in Woking,

cherrywoodcard

Post by cherrywoodcard » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:23 am

Comedian Sean Lock was born in Woking too.Rufus Hound went to Hoe Bridge School.

doylie

Post by doylie » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:29 am

Rick Parfitt came from Queen Elizabeth Way on the Elmbridge Estate (2mins from the ground) and went to Highlands School.

Singer Billie Davis (a bit of a Northern Soul cult legend) also comes from Woking.
Memories of the past, visions of the future - follow on Instagram the_cardinal_tales and Twitter
https://twitter.com/cardinal_tales

JAM

Post by JAM » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:42 am

Suzie Dent, of Countdown fame, was also born in Woking

rocknut

Post by rocknut » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:57 am

I come from Woking too! Wellllllll Knaphill, any good?😁

skippy

Post by skippy » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:16 pm

Whilst she wasn't born here Monica Dolan, the actress, went to school in Woking.

Growler

Post by Growler » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:41 pm

What with the current collapse of The Arts, can any of these play upfront as “Big Elbows Bastard”?
As yet uninvited to Plug’s WhatsApp group

DesCartes

Post by DesCartes » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:33 pm

northeast card wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:34 pm
As a fan of Genesis in the 70s (until Peter Gabriel left) I only found out today that he was born in Woking!
Strange that there have been periodic Paul Weller/Jam threads on here but I’ve never noticed any mention of Gabriel. You learn something new every day.
Evidence suggests that Gabriel was actually born in Chobham and was brought up in Coxhill, a manor off Station Road which counts as 'Chobham' and is, presumably, where he was born.

Coxhill Manor is now a nursing / residential home where, as it happens, my mother spent the last few months of her life. So I've learnt something today.....

rocknut

Post by rocknut » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:17 pm

Eric Clapton born at 1 the Green Ripley,. And a 3 times entrant into the rock n roll hall of fame.

Ian B

Post by Ian B » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:52 am

PG went to St Andrew's School in Horsell before he went to Charterhouse.
A few years ago he was named in a planning application in respect of a property in the Deep Pool area of Chobham.