Re: Spasov and Lofthouse loans extended

Post by iAmCraigy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:31 pm

Will we see Shotton again? His loan has finished too
@iAmCraigy

Nonsense Potter

Post by Nonsense Potter » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:55 am

He’s gone
Scorer of possibly the greatest goal in the history of the Woking FC Supporters' team

Card87

Post by Card87 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:28 am

evrclear wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:10 pm
https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/jonte ... rophy-tie/

Clive Youlton Article
I think Dowse has been misinformed by someone here, we were never full time under Garry Hill .

wokingcardinal

Post by wokingcardinal » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:18 am

He says him not being full time, not the team

JAM

Post by JAM » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:27 am

quick question re: the Spasov loan

as this is the 3rd month we have had him on loan, does that mean at the end of this month we will no longer be able to keep him any longer after that.

Card87

Post by Card87 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:46 am

wokingcardinal wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:18 am
“Obviously I came here and was the first manager in 14 years who hasn’t been full-time. I’ve had to be the one to come in because of the money situation, and relegation, to be part-time.

“Then, next season, it’s very exciting and if I can be the man to compete a bit more with a budget and go full-time, then I can be judged against all the other Woking managers before me who had the full-time status.
Pretty sure Garry himself was part time, and the second line seems to be about the team itself being full time .

The last manager to be full time with a full time team was Graham Baker wasn't it ?

jonwoozley

Post by jonwoozley » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:03 pm

Card87 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:46 am
wokingcardinal wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:18 am
“Obviously I came here and was the first manager in 14 years who hasn’t been full-time. I’ve had to be the one to come in because of the money situation, and relegation, to be part-time.

“Then, next season, it’s very exciting and if I can be the man to compete a bit more with a budget and go full-time, then I can be judged against all the other Woking managers before me who had the full-time status.
Pretty sure Garry himself was part time, and the second line seems to be about the team itself being full time .

The last manager to be full time with a full time team was Graham Baker wasn't it ?
Baker took over as we were relegated, I think we went part time that Summer?

Kim Grant was given a 3 year full time contract in May 08 and lasted 7 games. Not his fault "I've never managed anywhere else before."

Glenn Cockerill was the first full time manager and Frank Gray must have been too. He managed to last slightly longer than he did at Grays.

Does anyone know if Limbrick was full time, that whole episode seems shrouded in secrecy?
Dual meditates,
Non habetis argentum.

Nonsense Potter

Post by Nonsense Potter » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:04 pm

Baker was full time, as was his squad in the BSS
Scorer of possibly the greatest goal in the history of the Woking FC Supporters' team

Card87

Post by Card87 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:33 pm

Limbrick was full time, I don't think anyone's judged Dowse against Limbrick and come to the conclusion they would rather have Limbrick, need sectioning if they did .

Baker had a year of full time in BSS, then switched to part time but still carried on paying players every week of the year instead of just 40, Garry Hill switched that to 40 weeks in his first full season I believe, and couldn't believe the club hadn't already done it .

Kanu's Nan

Post by Kanu's Nan » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:42 pm

Garry Hill and his squad were full-time in everything but name for the most part, I understand Dowse's implication.

Is it just me who is wholly underwhemed by the idea of full-time football? I know stu will say I'm showing no ambition with that, but unless you've got a load of money (jury's out) and a very strong manager (yes) with a very good tactical brain (fill your own brackets) then you're just going to end up with a bunch of low-skill high-wage cloggers.

If full-time gives us some of the dog pooh players I've seen us against in recent years I'm not really sold.
self appointed protector of the downtrodden

jonwoozley

Post by jonwoozley » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:52 pm

Kanu's Nan wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:42 pm
Garry Hill and his squad were full-time in everything but name for the most part, I understand Dowse's implication.

Is it just me who is wholly underwhemed by the idea of full-time football? I know stu will say I'm showing no ambition with that, but unless you've got a load of money (jury's out) and a very strong manager (yes) with a very good tactical brain (fill your own brackets) then you're just going to end up with a bunch of low-skill high-wage cloggers.

If full-time gives us some of the dog pooh players I've seen us against in recent years I'm not really sold.
We would have to pick players that would get in Sutton's team, they're the benchmark.

If we can compete financially with B. Wood then we have a chance. Play offs have to be the goal.
Dual meditates,
Non habetis argentum.

Card87

Post by Card87 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:57 pm

Kanu's Nan wrote:
The only difference between Garry Hill's part time setup and Dowse's part time setup is Garry's trained for a couple of hours in the morning and Dowse's train for a couple of hours in the evening . They both still only got/get paid 40 weeks a year, and both still had other jobs .

Garry himself was part time, wasn't he also a used car salesman ?

Kanu's Nan

Post by Kanu's Nan » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:08 pm

The only difference between Garry Hill's part time setup and Dowse's part time setup is Garry's trained for a couple of hours in the morning and Dowse's train for a couple of hours in the evening . They both still only got/get paid 40 weeks a year, and both still had other jobs .
That's what I mean about everything but name. 40 weeks a year - but the other jobs were not exactly postmen and plumbers (one was a plumber and we had to release him because he couldn't train during the day). We can all look misty-eyed at part-time Woking in that era but just look at how many of those players had "professional footballer" in their social media bio's and you'll get where I'm coming from. It certainly started off more P/T but by the end... and there's a correlation between us getting gradually worse there too.
We would have to pick players that would get in Sutton's team, they're the benchmark.

If we can compete financially with B. Wood then we have a chance. Play offs have to be the goal.
I'd have thought Sutton would want players that would get in Sutton's team. This is exactly my issue in truth. If we're going full-time to "aim for the playoffs", then what's the point? Why is finishing 8th with a f/t squad more desirable than 15th with a p/t one? At the risk of sounding like Stu - if you're going to do it, fucking well do it!
self appointed protector of the downtrodden

KT15 Card

Post by KT15 Card » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:22 pm

Kanu's Nan wrote:

I touched on this a while back. If we are to properly go full time, we either do it properly or don't do it at all. I guess that all depends on how much the new investors want to put in. We either wave enough money around to tempt all the more decent players from rival teams or we end up with Richard Orlu and Matt Young.

I guess the board have an idea what figure is being pumped in to make us competitive, so we'll have to trust their judgement.

kansasCard

Post by kansasCard » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:27 pm

If we go full time again - it can only be with a shed load of money and the signing of players that could/should eventually get us promoted. No point, as many have said, going full time in name and appearance only to sign full time wanna bees and cast offs.
I want to do a Salford when we go full time.
This space intentionally left blank

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:51 pm

kansasCard wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:27 pm
I want to do a Salford when we go full time.
Sign Joey Jones?

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:54 pm

Kanu's Nan wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:08 pm

That's what I mean about everything but name. 40 weeks a year - but the other jobs were not exactly postmen and plumbers (one was a plumber and we had to release him because he couldn't train during the day). We can all look misty-eyed at part-time Woking in that era but just look at how many of those players had "professional footballer" in their social media bio's and you'll get where I'm coming from. It certainly started off more P/T but by the end... and there's a correlation between us getting gradually worse there too.
I did always wonder that under Garry... how could anyone realistically have another job and train during the day?

I wonder if we’ll be able to keep Casey either

a) him quitting his job and going FT with us or
b) us agreeing he can continue as PT with the rest FT, a bit like Adam Doyle did

darreng

Post by darreng » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:06 pm

Red and White Army wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:54 pm
Kanu's Nan wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:08 pm

I did always wonder that under Garry... how could anyone realistically have another job and train during the day?

b) us agreeing he can continue as PT with the rest FT, a bit like Adam Doyle did
Ricketts did personal fitness training and Newton drove a black cab. Jobs they can probably make more money in the evening.

wokingcardinal

Post by wokingcardinal » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:58 pm

darreng wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:06 pm
Red and White Army wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:54 pm

Ricketts did personal fitness training and Newton drove a black cab. Jobs they can probably make more money in the evening.
Stripper....🤔

James Wade

Post by James Wade » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:45 am

If we go full-time, is Casey really the best LB available?

Be honest.
Disclaimer:
"Just to be clear, all posts are my own views and what I say should not be taken as the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth and in no way should they be assumed as being a voice of the Club"

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:58 am

James Wade wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:45 am

Be honest.
Possibly. I think he’s pretty good even at this level.

It’s more that I don’t think Dowse will want to get rid of his favourite player.

Card Sharp

Post by Card Sharp » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:34 am

James Wade wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:45 am

Be honest.
Depends on the budget really. At his best, he's in the top half of left backs in this league, whether he makes the top 6 is another matter.

With Dowse in charge, you'd expect him to make an exception for Casey(and let's not forget Cook as well). That said, with a full time budget, his quality isn't irreplaceable, so I wouldn't be crying a river if he left. Disappointed, sure.

WokingandRichmondFC

Post by WokingandRichmondFC » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:50 am

Casey has been solid for us for the last 2 years. However the last 6/7 games he has been pretty poor and one of the culprits of hoofball that clearly isn't working. I have always liked Josh but feel like based on the last couple of games we could do much better if our budget is competitive. That being said he has lots of credit in the bank and imo cant see Dowse letting him go easily as he is our captain and over the last 2 years arguably most consistent player.