Wrexham

Spitfire

Re: Wrexham

Post by Spitfire » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:33 am

Seen on Twitter that some teams without games this weekend are trying to play other teams without games as a way of catching up, or getting games due a few months down the line played and free up space.
Seems Notts County are the first to put their heads above the parapet for this one.
I don’t think the new fixtures can be enforced by the league but not a bad idea. It just requires the two clubs to agree but would you want to play Notts County in a bad run if form if you didn’t have to?

Interesting to see how this plays out

Card Sharp

Post by Card Sharp » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:54 am

Spitfire wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:54 am
Has anyone actually seen statistics for infections caught while playing football? I’ve looked everywhere and can’t find any although I appreciate it’s rather bespoke.
I personally haven’t seen or heard of that being the case anywhere yet. Plenty of incidents before and after the games in changing rooms where staff are in hot confined spaces without ventilation or sat in dining rooms etc but not actually out on the pitch.
Not seen the stats. Although there is a growing call for masks to be worn outside too!

It is the incidents off the pitch that you mention that are concerning. Are all the players, subs, coaches, other members of the team all in the changing room at 1 time? How is that Covid Safe? At a big premier league club with a massive dressing room, it possibly is. At our level!?

Edit- this is not to say we are not following 'rules', more of a general comment.

Nick D

Post by Nick D » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:59 am

I can confirm there is social distancing, improved ventilation, masks, hand sanitisers, room number limits and rotation on shower use in all our changing rooms and offices.
We are doing all we can and any little edge we can get to decrease the opportunities of contamination will be undertaken.

Kanu's Nan

Post by Kanu's Nan » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:17 am

Spitfire wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:33 am
Seen on Twitter that some teams without games this weekend are trying to play other teams without games as a way of catching up, or getting games due a few months down the line played and free up space.
Seems Notts County are the first to put their heads above the parapet for this one.
I don’t think the new fixtures can be enforced by the league but not a bad idea. It just requires the two clubs to agree but would you want to play Notts County in a bad run if form if you didn’t have to?

Interesting to see how this plays out
I am immediately reminded me of when we tried to do this on a free weekend in 2011 prompting the tremendous Lord Hill line "If I saw us on a run of 1 defeat in 15 games with 38pts from 45, I wouldn't be putting my services on the line to go and get my bum smacked"
self appointed protector of the downtrodden

Kanu's Nan

Post by Kanu's Nan » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:17 am

Adrian wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:01 pm
The season should never have been started, as I’ve constantly said.

Puts kettle on and awaits predictable responses......
You've constantly said it Adrian and forgive me if I'm wrong, but I have no recollection of you explaining why.

KT15 Card

Post by KT15 Card » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:22 am

Kanu's Nan wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:17 am
Adrian wrote:

You've constantly said it Adrian and forgive me if I'm wrong, but I have no recollection of you explaining why.
I'm sure we're all dying to know

Card Sharp

Post by Card Sharp » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:16 am

Nick D wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:59 am
I can confirm there is social distancing, improved ventilation, masks, hand sanitisers, room number limits and rotation on shower use in all our changing rooms and offices.
We are doing all we can and any little edge we can get to decrease the opportunities of contamination will be undertaken.
I don't think anyone is suggesting the club isn't!

Out of interest, what are the limits in changing rooms?

AndyT

Post by AndyT » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:17 pm

GardenGareth wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:52 pm
Yes its nice that we are able to watch our team play football from the comfort of our own homes. However, its clear to see that these players are now putting their health at risk for the chance of getting a couple of points.
Is it worth it? Nothing is better then being down the side of the football pitch shouting our guts out & cheering them on, something we cannot currently do. I look forward to the day when that happens again. However, watching them indoors will never be the same as being down at the ground.

Other sports and events have been cancelled/put on hold because of this virus, whats so special about football?
Most football has been cancelled just like most other team sports. Elite sport, including football, continues with the Government's support as long as it is played behind closed doors and operates under strict COVID restrictions. Some people ask why Elite sport is different and my take on this is that I suspect Elite sport (especially football) is considered a distraction for the masses while COVID restrictions apply to the masses with it being televised, commentated on, written about etc.

Of course there is a huge difference between Elite football at Premier League/Championship level and Elite football at NL level. Despite what we think we are small fry within Elite sport and do not have any of the financial power that the Premier League / Championship have or indeed the televisual interest therefore I do not feel 'Elite' but while we are then we can continue to operate just like Liverpool, Chelsea, Southampton et all are allowed to and as long as our governing body tells the us to continue we will. Whether we should be put in this position is another debate, which will rage on and on with very divided opinions, all of which are valid. All WFC can do (and are doing) is to put processes in place that keeps everyone involved as safe as is possible.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:39 pm

Kanu's Nan wrote:
Adrian wrote:

84000 and rising.

And this unfinishable charade continues.

Ridiculous

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:45 pm

Adrian wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:39 pm
Kanu's Nan wrote:

84000 and rising.

Ridiculous
60,000 not 84,000.

What were the numbers in September/October though when you claimed it should have never started?

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:14 pm

Red and White Army wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:45 pm
Adrian wrote:

84000 and rising.

Ridiculous
60,000 not 84,000.

What were the numbers in September/October though when you claimed it should have never started?
Wayne.

Are actually in denial at what is happening, it would appear so?

If you wish, go through what I’ve continually posted in regards to our situation.

All the answers are there for you.

Give you something to do, in what is obviously a difficult period for you.

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:19 pm

Is everyone on here just called Wayne now?

So you didn’t answer the question then.

What have case levels NOW got to do with the decision to start the season back in September/October?

I’m not denying it’s a bad situation NOW but you were stating “the season should never have started”. And when asked why you never answer.

Kanu's Nan

Post by Kanu's Nan » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:28 pm

Adrian wrote:
Kanu's Nan wrote:

84000 and rising.

Ridiculous
I was hoping for an explanation but I think I can work it out from this, correct me if I'm wrong. You don't think the season should have started because of the number of deaths up to when it was announced it would restart plus what has happened since, is that right?

I'm curious Adrian as to what you think should have happened. Given that the Premier League was always going to start, where would you have applied the cut-off? Considering in particular that IIRC, Furlough was only extended until October at that stage, at the minimum the FL would have started.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:29 pm

Kanu's Nan wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:28 pm
Adrian wrote:

84000 and rising.

Ridiculous
I was hoping for an explanation but I think I can work it out from this, correct me if I'm wrong. You don't think the season should have started because of the number of deaths up to when it was announced it would restart plus what has happened since, is that right?

I'm curious Adrian as to what you think should have happened. Given that the Premier League was always going to start, where would you have applied the cut-off? Considering in particular that IIRC, Furlough was only extended until October at that stage, at the minimum the FL would have started.

As I’ve said numerous times, the season shouldn’t have started.

I’ve no interest in the premier league etc.

Mine is more a concern of common sense.

No supporters equals no money, no money, no club.

And this possibly happening which will mean the season
ending anyway.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/amp/football/55564703

Kanu's Nan

Post by Kanu's Nan » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:37 pm

OK, so your approach is don't start the Conference irrespective of anything else on the table. Got it. I have yet to really see you explain why despite asking directly, I don't think that "common sense" is an answer when leagues above and below the Conference were to be starting.

pooh

Post by pooh » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:40 pm

I feel it all comes down to how you view risk. Some will be risk averse and say lockdown everything and others will feel the opposite. I am fast approaching 70 but am happy to go to watch a match and take my chances. Mind you, the chances of catching anything in the KRE, two metres apart and wearing a mask is remote.

Reading Card

Post by Reading Card » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:43 am

Dover postponed again this weekend. They will be 8 games behind Torquay if there game goes ahead.

Solihull games gone too so they will be 5 games behind.

Over the next month there will be a loads of cancelations. Given 1 in 50 have it ( ONS) thats pretty much 1 person in every match ( assuming players and staff = 25 on each side)

Chances of this season finishing = 3/10

JGreenwood

Post by JGreenwood » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:59 am

Dover will be more than happy to call more and more games off then push for the season to be voided, just like Slough. What is the process in the NL - do teams have to ask for games to be postponed through a panel like the PL or do they get to decide? It's open to abuse if teams are calling all the shots IMO.

Rio

Post by Rio » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:05 pm

Kanu's Nan wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:37 pm
OK, so your approach is don't start the Conference irrespective of anything else on the table. Got it. I have yet to really see you explain why despite asking directly, I don't think that "common sense" is an answer when leagues above and below the Conference were to be starting.
You sound surprised you're not getting a direct answer to a specific question. It's how he operates.

At least he's stopped advertising everything as an absolute gift.

Since85

Post by Since85 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:34 pm

A masochistic £10 saved