Wrexham

Stoo

Wrexham

Post by Stoo » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:57 pm

Saturday's game at Wrexham has been postponed due to COVID concerns in the home team's squad.
Hopefully give Dowse time to work a bit of magic.....

KT15 Card

Re: Wrexham

Post by KT15 Card » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:10 pm

At least my weekend off won't be ruined then...

Reading Card

Post by Reading Card » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:09 pm

At what point will the league get cancelled ?

Dover (played 10) now 7 games behind Torquay ( played 17) . It would take a 3-4 week to catch up that many games IF the other teams would be available.

Also given the high case numbers I would expect more games to be off over the next 6 weeks.

What would you like to happen ? Given our shit form I would be happy to scrap promotion and relegation but to carry on playing to provide both revenue and entertainment.

WFC96

Post by WFC96 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:12 pm

Reading Card wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:09 pm

Dover (played 10) now 7 games behind Torquay ( played 17) . It would take a 3-4 week to catch up that many games IF the other teams would be available.

Also given the high case numbers I would expect more games to be off over the next 6 weeks.

What would you like to happen ? Given our shit form I would be happy to scrap promotion and relegation but to carry on playing to provide both revenue and entertainment.
No point in travelling up and down the country to play what would effectively be friendlies. Would provide little, if any revenue as barely anyone will pay to watch non-competitive games.

They need to play as much of the season as possible and then if they can't complete then it'll be PPG again.

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:27 pm

WFC96 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:12 pm
Reading Card wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:09 pm

No point in travelling up and down the country to play what would effectively be friendlies. Would provide little, if any revenue as barely anyone will pay to watch non-competitive games.

They need to play as much of the season as possible and then if they can't complete then it'll be PPG again.
What WFC96 says. The closer to the end date of the season the more games will have been played and the more chance of some sort of season concluding.
What cannot be shoehorned in will revert to PPG I would imagine as long as the magic X number of games have been played across the board to make a season, a season.

Would be unfair if some teams played 30+ games and others stuck in the teens due to bad luck of opponents and own health situation. Would be interesting to see what the plan is there.

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:55 pm

It does seem increasingly unlikely the league will properly finish. Running out of midweeks already - Dover have 34 matches to play in 22 weeks and that's assuming no further postponements.

What happens if matches get postponed in May as well with no time to play them?

What do people think the magic number should be - 30? 33 would be 3/4 of the season and a fair indicator...

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:01 pm

Depends on circumstances a bit. How have Dover continually had so many games lost through infection while teams like Torquay have obviously got it so right and generally been healthy?
Is it just geographical or is there something wrong with what they are (or aren’t doing)?

60-70% for me

GoldCard

Post by GoldCard » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:14 pm

Spitfire wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:01 pm
Depends on circumstances a bit. How have Dover continually had so many games lost through infection while teams like Torquay have obviously got it so right and generally been healthy?
Is it just geographical or is there something wrong with what they are (or aren’t doing)?

60-70% for me
maybe some teams just test their squad/staff alot more than other teams rather than just 'getting things right and staying healthy' . Who's to say those teams that haven't had postponements just aren't regularly testing but are travelling around the country asymptomatically?

Lurker

Post by Lurker » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:37 pm

Spitfire wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:01 pm

60-70% for me
There's obviously a strong geographical element to it, but I suspect that promotion-chasing Torquay are also very keen to get games played while relegation-threatened Dover are maybe a bit more relaxed about sitting games out. I can't see Dover completing enough games for PPG to be applied, in which case the season will have to be declared null and void and therefore they can't be relegated.

Woking United

Post by Woking United » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:45 pm

The league will finish one way or another and I'd be very surprised if 100% of games aren't completed .why not?.fans are f&cked but there'll get the games done .

Woking United

Post by Woking United » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:49 pm

Didn't most say the league wouldn't start a few months ago and we saw what happened there .

Woking United

Post by Woking United » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:52 pm

Also I've seen more postponements due to weather conditions in previous years.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:01 pm

The season should never have been started, as I’ve constantly said.

Puts kettle on and awaits predictable responses......

AndyT

Post by AndyT » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:25 pm

Adrian wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:01 pm

Predictable responses............

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:26 pm

Adrian wrote:

Why though? Do you think we should have been in lockdown continuously for the last 9 months?

Two of Diamonds

Post by Two of Diamonds » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:34 pm

They should stop for a fortnight and reorganise the fixtures so everyone plays everyone once plus the xmas double header. So 23 games for the NL sides. Most teams would then have at least 9 games to play which would take until late March.

Have the play-offs in April - who knows crowds might be allowed - together with a rejigged FA Trophy if the pandemic allows. Clubs in the play-offs could decide how seriously to take the Trophy.

Same applies to NLN/NLS

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:55 pm

Red and White Army wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:26 pm
Adrian wrote:

Why though? Do you think we should have been in lockdown continuously for the last 9 months?
Here’s one Andy, regular as clockwork.

Not a clue how serious things actually are.

It almost seems to cheer him up when I post.

If I’m helping some in lockdown to feel important that’s great.

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:43 pm

Adrian wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:55 pm
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:26 pm

Zzzzzzz I doubt you’ve ever cheered anyone up Boredrian. Except barbers when they realised they didn’t have to see you again.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:46 pm

Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:43 pm
Adrian wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:55 pm

Zzzzzzz I doubt you’ve ever cheered anyone up Boredrian. Except barbers when they realised they didn’t have to see you again.
Come it’s gone Seven Thirty, time for bed.

doylie

Post by doylie » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:16 pm

Adrian wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:46 pm
Purleazze boys, Cardboard is not a substitute for Grindr.
Memories of the past, visions of the future - follow on Instagram the_cardinal_tales and Twitter
https://twitter.com/cardinal_tales

Wokingcard

Post by Wokingcard » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:01 pm

It would be interesting to know how the players feel about playing - I assume most aren’t being tested

Stoo

Post by Stoo » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:12 pm

doylie wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:16 pm
Adrian wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:46 pm
Purleazze boys, Cardboard is not a substitute for Grindr.
It isn’t????

kansasCard

Post by kansasCard » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:20 pm

AndyT wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:25 pm
Adrian wrote:

Predictable responses............
Splendid...
This space intentionally left blank

GardenGareth

Post by GardenGareth » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:52 pm

Yes its nice that we are able to watch our team play football from the comfort of our own homes. However, its clear to see that these players are now putting their health at risk for the chance of getting a couple of points.
Is it worth it? Nothing is better then being down the side of the football pitch shouting our guts out & cheering them on, something we cannot currently do. I look forward to the day when that happens again. However, watching them indoors will never be the same as being down at the ground.

Other sports and events have been cancelled/put on hold because of this virus, whats so special about football?

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:54 am

Has anyone actually seen statistics for infections caught while playing football? I’ve looked everywhere and can’t find any although I appreciate it’s rather bespoke.
I personally haven’t seen or heard of that being the case anywhere yet. Plenty of incidents before and after the games in changing rooms where staff are in hot confined spaces without ventilation or sat in dining rooms etc but not actually out on the pitch.