Interviews

Tetra

Interviews

Post by Tetra » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:29 pm

Have any player or management team interviews been published yet It seems there quiet out there.

rocknut

Re: Interviews

Post by rocknut » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:49 pm

Players are probably under orders to be quiet and the management are best staying hidden away.

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:39 pm

Are they not all over Twitter?
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

JGreenwood91

Post by JGreenwood91 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:23 pm

KRE_Matt

Post by KRE_Matt » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:30 pm

Well, he had the minerals to say it. Bottle jobs. Now that's a public hanging if I've ever seen one.

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:33 pm

Not before time. We aren't here simply to give games to loan players.
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

KRE_Matt

Post by KRE_Matt » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:39 pm

More than happy to see a manager wanting to shed this plucky; part time, small budget Woking image we tend to shield ourselves behind when things get shit.

The reactions before Dowse can bring some new blood in will be very interesting to see.

Cardbattery

Post by Cardbattery » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:59 pm

Good interview, admitted to his mistakes and how poor we were. It’s time for him to be brutal with the squad.

kansasCard

Post by kansasCard » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:59 pm

he's been scathing and 'brutally honest' before though hasn't he. Maybe the difference this time around is that he's not totally stuck regarding budget? next few weeks will tell.
This space intentionally left blank

Stuwfc

Post by Stuwfc » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:15 pm

Says he’s prepared to put everyone on a free now where have we heard that before??????

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:36 pm

The famous post Sutton clear out when we got rid of a keeper who never should have played (Howes) and a midfielder Dowse never fancied anyway (Gray).

AshWFC

Post by AshWFC » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:54 pm

Red and White Army wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:36 pm
The famous post Sutton clear out when we got rid of a keeper who never should have played (Howes) and a midfielder Dowse never fancied anyway (Gray).
You forgot Meite, and Hodges... also, we did go on to take 14pts from 9 league matches following this, which kept us in the playoff mix.

If we do that again, we'll be in and around the same area, which nobody would have expected before the season started.

All the condemning I've seen of Dowse using the loan market is some of the dimmest and most removed from reality posting I've seen... without Davison, Lofthouse, Dempsey, and Shotton, we'd be a threat to the bottom three.

Nonsense Potter

Post by Nonsense Potter » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:59 am

The comment on loans is a tough one. Having so many young players who don’t belong to the club arguably affected the motivation for the derby.

Individually, it’s different. Whilst I’ll probably get shot down, I think Dempsey’s our most talented midfielder and having three of our own midfielders didn’t work for the aldershot game. I guess the need is to strike a balance between the quality of the individuals Vs the experience/motivation needed. It’s a little simplistic though - Max is one of our more experienced players, but was the most frustrating for me against aldershot as he spent far too long reacting to the referee’s decisions, rather than rolling his sleeves up, making something happen, making challenges etc...
Scorer of possibly the greatest goal in the history of the Woking FC Supporters' team

Card Sharp

Post by Card Sharp » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:01 am

Nonsense Potter wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:59 am
The comment on loans is a tough one. Having so many young players who don’t belong to the club arguably affected the motivation for the derby.

Individually, it’s different. Whilst I’ll probably get shot down, I think Dempsey’s our most talented midfielder and having three of our own midfielders didn’t work for the aldershot game. I guess the need is to strike a balance between the quality of the individuals Vs the experience/motivation needed. It’s a little simplistic though - Max is one of our more experienced players, but was the most frustrating for me against aldershot as he spent far too long reacting to the referee’s decisions, rather than rolling his sleeves up, making something happen, making challenges etc...
Agreed. Dempsey is probably our most talented midfielder but has not shown enough.

I've been one of Max's critics, but he has had a good season, and his effort and application has been right up there. He wasn't the only one doing that against Aldershot. I was about to say I'm happy to give him an excuse as he had missed fbe last few games, but then I remembered why!

The next few weeks will be interesting

Kanu's Nan

Post by Kanu's Nan » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:11 am

I've been confused reading this forum since Saturday about why people are ragging on the loan players so much. The notion that they don't care as much is a bit mad considering Dempsey/Davison/Lofthouse have all been here a while and specifically on Saturday, you'd be hard pushed to blame any of them individually wouldn't you?

If anyone thinks we're going to be able to play at this level without a spattering of loan players then they're off their rocker IMO.

Our biggest underperformers are/were our own players. I assume we've seen the last of Dave Tarpey sadly because if he can't get off the bench in a game like that then there's little hope.
self appointed protector of the downtrodden

photocard

Post by photocard » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:06 am

Kanu's Nan wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:11 am
I've been confused reading this forum since Saturday about why people are ragging on the loan players so much. The notion that they don't care as much is a bit mad considering Dempsey/Davison/Lofthouse have all been here a while and specifically on Saturday, you'd be hard pushed to blame any of them individually wouldn't you?

If anyone thinks we're going to be able to play at this level without a spattering of loan players then they're off their rocker IMO.

Our biggest underperformers are/were our own players. I assume we've seen the last of Dave Tarpey sadly because if he can't get off the bench in a game like that then there's little hope.
Exactly without these loan players we'd be where Dover are now. Sometimes you need these loan player to up the quality, I understand the do they care arguement, but lack of effort has hardly been something you can say about Dempsey/Davison/Lofthouse. I also agree Dempsey is our best most creative midfielder, whilst I accept he was poor (like everyone) against Aldershot; he has generally be excellent this season.

I should add, I am not saying we don't have a problem, the lack of goals is clearly an issue. As was mentioned in another thread earlier in the season Kane was playing much higher up the pitch, chipping in with goals, and we were all praising him, not sure why he's not doing that now. We were also scoring a lot earlier in the season. To me there seem to be a mentality thing, we're no longer being brave on the ball, using the midfield, winning our battles?

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:37 am

JGreenwood91 wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:23 pm
Dowse fuming, as you'd expect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWwBZ7y ... l=WokingFC
Can you imagine if AL had said anything half as cutting as this? It would've been revolutionary. Love this man.
AshWFC wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:54 pm
All the condemning I've seen of Dowse using the loan market is some of the dimmest and most removed from reality posting I've seen... without Davison, Lofthouse, Dempsey, and Shotton, we'd be a threat to the bottom three.
Speaking of the league table, we're three points from 4th and three points from 18th. That's insane.

We're also still above Aldershot, despite essentially handing them six points for free.

IMO, in a year where you lose half your squad due to constraints outside of your control, as a part time side, anything over 17th/18th is overachievement. We should be working our nuts off to do better, but that's the bar for me. My issue with the two Aldershot games is that we seemed to mostly stop working, which is when we get found out - we ran Hartlepool into the ground not too long ago.

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:08 pm

AshWFC wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:54 pm
Red and White Army wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:36 pm
You forgot Meite, and Hodges... also, we did go on to take 14pts from 9 league matches following this, which kept us in the playoff mix.

If we do that again, we'll be in and around the same area, which nobody would have expected before the season started.

Meite only played because Hyde can’t play on 3G and his loan was up anyway. Sutton was the only game Hodges started that season.

I agree on the loan statement though. Why would contracted players care so much more than loan players? Effiong begged to leave halfway through the season. Joe Ward started linking himself to other clubs on Twitter and Banton never gave a shit, to give a few examples.

AshWFC

Post by AshWFC » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:03 pm

The funny thing is it's the very same people who were fawning over Davison a few games ago who are now throwing their toys out of the pram because we have a few good loanees (everyone seems to like Dempsey... I'd argue Lofthouse has been our best player the last six games).

Stuwfc

Post by Stuwfc » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:33 pm

AshWFC wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:03 pm
The funny thing is it's the very same people who were fawning over Davison a few games ago who are now throwing their toys out of the pram because we have a few good loanees (everyone seems to like Dempsey... I'd argue Lofthouse has been our best player the last six games).
One player I’ve not heard mentioned in dispatches Is Casey I’d say he’s been dreadful in the last three games and deserve to be dropped.

Bertie

Post by Bertie » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:29 pm

Chobham Card wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:37 am
JGreenwood91 wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:23 pm

Speaking of the league table, we're three points from 4th and three points from 18th. That's insane.

We're also still above Aldershot, despite essentially handing them six points for free.

If we had won the 2 games against Aldershot, we'd be 2nd in the league on GD, and Aldershot would be just 3 places above the drop.

Madness !

Wokingcard

Post by Wokingcard » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:10 pm

It’s been a bad week for the club and no player has come out with any credit - these things happen in football at every single level it doesn’t suddenly mean all the players are horrendous

Kanu's Nan

Post by Kanu's Nan » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:15 am

Stuwfc wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:33 pm
AshWFC wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:03 pm
One player I’ve not heard mentioned in dispatches Is Casey I’d say he’s been dreadful in the last three games and deserve to be dropped.
For who?

I don't disagree as to Casey's form but you need a pretty robust reason to drop your captain and at the very least you need an actual replacement.
self appointed protector of the downtrodden

Card Sharp

Post by Card Sharp » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:39 am

Dropping Casey is non starter, but he is our Captain and not doing a good enough job. When Casey is playing well both in attack and defence, we also do well. Other than Hartlepool, since Sutton, when have we played well? And I include the narrow win against Dover in the Trophy.

Casey has very little competition, and is an ever present? Surely he has more culpability than the midfielders and wingers who are chopped and changed, particularly on the wing?

No agenda here at all, and it is not as if he has been awful...just not at the standard we have come to expect, but who do you replace him with? There is lots of cover at right back, midfield and the wings...

Wokingcard

Post by Wokingcard » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:56 am

Our wingers and strikers are supposed to create and win us games and we haven’t scored/had a shot on target in 3 games so I would argue we should probably look at the top end of the pitch first!

In defence, Shotton has been culpable for most of the goals conceded at Aldershot on Boxing Day and it’s no secret we need another CB.