Streaming Statement

Nick

Streaming Statement

Post by Nick » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:21 pm

Spongeball

Re: Streaming Statement

Post by Spongeball » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:24 pm

This is so poor. It’s unacceptable for the club to expect fans to be paying £12 of our hard earned cash for a stream that consistently doesn’t work properly.

The £12 is testing loyalty enough but for these streams to not be working, how can the club expect anyone to fork out £12 in these current times when the issue is clearly not resolved.

I feel like the club positions itself as a charity and expects fans just to eat crap and not complain whilst still giving, giving, giving.

In nobody’s world is £12 good value for money for the service being provided.

top of the C

Post by top of the C » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:42 pm

Don’t buy it then.

wokingsteve

Post by wokingsteve » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:43 pm

Oh dear spongebob. Dont get your square pants in a twist.

Cardinal96

Post by Cardinal96 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:52 pm

Spongeball wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:24 pm
This is so poor. It’s unacceptable for the club to expect fans to be paying £12 of our hard earned cash for a stream that consistently doesn’t work properly.

The £12 is testing loyalty enough but for these streams to not be working, how can the club expect anyone to fork out £12 in these current times when the issue is clearly not resolved.

I feel like the club positions itself as a charity and expects fans just to eat crap and not complain whilst still giving, giving, giving.

In nobody’s world is £12 good value for money for the service being provided.
Oh shut the fuck up.

Murph2762

Post by Murph2762 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:39 pm

I would like to thank all those people who are streaming us live games of woking f.c, ok its not 100% but it's better than a kick in the bollocks.
Those who are not happy with it don't have to use it ...simple! I see it as a way of supporting my club and seeing the match, it was better this week and i'm sure it will improve...well done everyone!

Better Red

Post by Better Red » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:40 pm

Cardinal96 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:52 pm
Oh shut the fuck up.
Best you've got?

Follow your own advice.

Spongeball

Post by Spongeball » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:19 am

I don’t understand why there is this culture on here that we mustn’t criticise the club under and circumstances. I’m sure they are trying their best to fix the issues and I do appreciate the volunteers who keep the club running each and every day.

That said... this club statement above reads to me like: ‘We’re sorry there have been issues but it’s not our fault and we still aren’t sure how to fix it. We still think £12 is good value for money’

So, no, I won’t be paying for another live stream until by all accounts it works reliably. I’m absolutely certain that I’m not the only one. By producing a stream that doesn’t work the club are losing money. Some of you on here defending the stream and the price might have plenty of disposable income to blindly throw at the club on top of already donating to boost the budget, name on the shirt, match day collection buckets and whatever else there has been over the last 12months but I certainly don’t and willing to be there are many fans like me who aren’t made of money.

I notice that ‘fuck right off’ seems to be the default answer to what I’m saying. If anyone can put a more reasoned alternative point of view I’d enjoy reading it.

Cardbourne

Post by Cardbourne » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:47 am

I'll still buy it, but it does seem the club are heavily leaning on the fact that some supporters will feel compelled to pay the money regardless of quality.

A bit dangerous in my opinion, we don't want the reputation of offering an 'expensive' and poor quality product..

JAM

Post by JAM » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:51 am

that's not the way I read that statement. What that statement tells me is that the FC realise that there is an issue, have apologised for there being an issue, and have explained that they are trying their best to resolve the issue.

as has been said above, the choice is yours, you don't have to pay for the game to be streamed, its your choice. If you choose not to purchase the next game, that is entirely up to you, as it would be normally to attend a game or not. However, if every fan thought like that then maybe, just maybe, we wouldn't have a club to support as and when crowds are allowed back. This club does everything it can to involve fans, like putting names on shirts, and is trying its best to provide a service to watch home games. as for £12, it is probably at the high end of the pricing, but you do also get a programme within that, which to me seems good value.

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:13 am

People honestly think the club couldn’t care less and using fans like a cash cow? Really? Fucking cock wombles!

The stream wasn’t right at the weekend and they know that. You honestly think that they sit back counting the pounds chuckling at the complaints about the service not giving a fuck? The boys and girls are working on different aspects every day to make it better as THEY ARE NOT HAPPY WITH IT. They want to give us premium sports coverage and be the best in the NL if not outside the Prem.
They are fans like we are fans and want to give everything they can like the boys on the pitch. They are proud of the club and what they can do however, they are not proud of how the stream went.
Don’t forget these are people have work, families and other obligations before they rock up for free. Doesn’t mean they don’t care or happy giving a half arsed package as they certainly are not.

I’ve seen the stress on their faces and worry over what’s happened, it’s not pretty. It will be resolved, of that I have absolute faith but as we all find out at times is sometimes the advice and guidance you are given turns out to be wrong or not effective under the circumstances.

Pointing out errors and problems is needed so they can identify the problems. Being a numbskull over it isn’t.
So, you have a choice. Buy it or don’t.
I haven’t watched a single game yet due to work but still making donations every month as that’s what I would be spending for my season ticket etc. It’s really up to you what you do but please try and be constructive to help them help you.

Wafflebutt

Post by Wafflebutt » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:15 am

Spongeball wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:19 am
I don’t understand why there is this culture on here that we mustn’t criticise the club under and circumstances. I’m sure they are trying their best to fix the issues and I do appreciate the volunteers who keep the club running each and every day.

That said... this club statement above reads to me like: ‘We’re sorry there have been issues but it’s not our fault and we still aren’t sure how to fix it. We still think £12 is good value for money’

So, no, I won’t be paying for another live stream until by all accounts it works reliably. I’m absolutely certain that I’m not the only one. By producing a stream that doesn’t work the club are losing money. Some of you on here defending the stream and the price might have plenty of disposable income to blindly throw at the club on top of already donating to boost the budget, name on the shirt, match day collection buckets and whatever else there has been over the last 12months but I certainly don’t and willing to be there are many fans like me who aren’t made of money.

I notice that ‘fuck right off’ seems to be the default answer to what I’m saying. If anyone can put a more reasoned alternative point of view I’d enjoy reading it.
You have a fair point. It must not be forgotten that Woking fans are not the only clientele for the stream.
That being said, I am extremely grateful for any coverage and very appreciative of all the hard work that goes into it.

Stoo

Post by Stoo » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:21 am

wokingsteve wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:43 pm
Oh dear spongebob. Dont get your square pants in a twist.
That's two posts of yours I've liked since the weekend!

Coming to the GC lounge on Saturday to watch with us? ;-)

Cardbourne

Post by Cardbourne » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:08 am

I think a few people are misinterpreting and getting a bit precious about what some posters are saying (or what I'm saying anyway).

I only want what's best for the club and im completely happy paying £12 to watch the stream. My only concern is that charging more for an inferior product (at present) is a bad business model. And could drive away the less hardcore and away fans.

And fans telling other fans, 'dont like it , don't watch it!' Kinda proves this point

Cardelia

Post by Cardelia » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:11 am

JAM wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:51 am
as for £12, it is probably at the high end of the pricing, but you do also get a programme within that, which to me seems good value.
Only if you ascribe some value to the programme and would normally buy one in the first place. I haven't bought a programme for over 20 years.

I also noticed that the club statement said that they believed the sound issues had been resolved. My experience was that the pitchside mics were working perfectly but there were still problems with the commentary feed being very quiet, especially in the first half. There were several comments on the Halifax forum that the sound quality was iffy, and some of them even obtained refunds from the streaming provider because of the overall poor quality of the stream - picture and sound.

There is no escaping the fact that the quality of the stream is poor, and has been for three games now. More, if you include the pre-season game(s). At some point the club have got to realise that charging more than everyone else in the league for an inferior product is simply not going to fly with the majority of people who they need to pay for it. If everything is fixed and working properly then fine, charge £12 because it will be worth it. Until then, don't. Fans who want to give their spare cash to the club can still do so via a voluntary donation if they feel that strongly about it.

alas Tom Jones

Post by alas Tom Jones » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:12 am

Of course everyone finds the technical glitches frustrating, but I would rather have a slightly imperfect service than none at all. Without the volunteers, who help in so many ways, there would probably be no Woking Football Club to criticize or support.

JAM

Post by JAM » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:18 am

Cardelia. I refer you to the quote of 'If everything is fixed and working properly then fine, charge £12 because it will be worth it. Until then, don't.'

The way I have read the statement tells me that they thought everything would work properly, and therefore the £12 being charged would be worth it. It wasn't until the start of the process that they realised they had problems.

with regards to the commentary, I didn't have a problem. It was quiet for the 1st 10 minutes or so, but I just turned the volume up on the TV, and once the commentary got back to normal, the volume on the TV went down.

Cardbourne

Post by Cardbourne » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:19 am

alas Tom Jones wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:12 am
Of course everyone finds the technical glitches frustrating, but I would rather have a slightly imperfect service than none at all. Without the volunteers, who help in so many ways, there would probably be no Woking Football Club to criticize or support.
100%... Goes without saying the amazing job all the volunteers are doing.

Spongeball

Post by Spongeball » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:23 am

Spitfire wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:13 am
People honestly think the club couldn’t care less and using fans like a cash cow? Really? Fucking cock wombles!

The stream wasn’t right at the weekend and they know that. You honestly think that they sit back counting the pounds chuckling at the complaints about the service not giving a fuck? The boys and girls are working on different aspects every day to make it better as THEY ARE NOT HAPPY WITH IT. They want to give us premium sports coverage and be the best in the NL if not outside the Prem.
They are fans like we are fans and want to give everything they can like the boys on the pitch. They are proud of the club and what they can do however, they are not proud of how the stream went.
Don’t forget these are people have work, families and other obligations before they rock up for free. Doesn’t mean they don’t care or happy giving a half arsed package as they certainly are not.

I’ve seen the stress on their faces and worry over what’s happened, it’s not pretty. It will be resolved, of that I have absolute faith but as we all find out at times is sometimes the advice and guidance you are given turns out to be wrong or not effective under the circumstances.

Pointing out errors and problems is needed so they can identify the problems. Being a numbskull over it isn’t.
So, you have a choice. Buy it or don’t.
I haven’t watched a single game yet due to work but still making donations every month as that’s what I would be spending for my season ticket etc. It’s really up to you what you do but please try and be constructive to help them help you.
I definitely DONT think the football club are sat there counting their pennies while not giving a shit about the problem. The point I’m trying to make is, in my opinion, the club is asking too much of me financially to watch my team play football and on top of the providing a ‘premium’ service that doesn’t work. I watched the first stream and since then I haven’t again due to the issues I experienced.

If I’m a cock womble or a numbskull in the eyes of this message board for being disappointed in this statement and even more disappointed in the quality of the stream then so be it. I’m a cockwomble. It’s important to remember there are more fans outside of this cardboard bubble than inside it. I’d be willing to bet that my view may represent many more fans than you think.

Ultimately, we are all woking fans - with the exception of WokingSteve :). We all want the club to do well and be successful. I don’t know the numbers but I’d have thought that each stream is attracting less fans due to all the issues. Again, just my opinion but the clubs approach to live streaming is wrong and the fact Is the current approach isn’t working as it stands.

Cardelia

Post by Cardelia » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:41 am

JAM wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:18 am
Cardelia. I refer you to the quote of 'If everything is fixed and working properly then fine, charge £12 because it will be worth it. Until then, don't.'

The way I have read the statement tells me that they thought everything would work properly, and therefore the £12 being charged would be worth it. It wasn't until the start of the process that they realised they had problems.

with regards to the commentary, I didn't have a problem. It was quiet for the 1st 10 minutes or so, but I just turned the volume up on the TV, and once the commentary got back to normal, the volume on the TV went down.
If the Dagenham game had worked fine without any streaming issues then I could see the logic in that approach. But there were issues with the Dagenham game. Sound and picture. As there were with the Solihull game. And with the pre-season game(s). Perhaps the issues were all different, perhaps they were not. I'm sure the volunteers are working very hard within the technological limitations that they have, and I'm sure that they thought the issues had been fixed prior to the Halifax game. But clearly there are still problems. My point is simply that until the club can be sure that the problems are solved, they shouldn't be charging the premium price.

Reading Card

Post by Reading Card » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:42 am

It’s important to remember there are more fans outside of this cardboard bubble than inside it
This is very true and why we need a product for us all to go and tell our mates about so they pay too ! We have to remember football is a business and you need to treat your fans like customers.

Regarding the pricing , maybe start at £10 with no programme, £12 with and £15 and £20 with the donation offers or extra's included. We also need a 'Gold Package' @ £40 which comes with ....... a case of gold delivered to your door !

Ridiculous as it sounds at £10 people might except the odd outage.

Now the club can put the price back up whenever we have it bang on.

I've really enjoyed the games thus far and I've been much more engaged that I though i would have been. I appreciate people are putting a lot in to this.

James Wade

Post by James Wade » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:51 am

Is there an argument that we are trying to hard to be the best?

I get that the guys want to provide a premium streaming service, which is great and they should be praised for that, but wouldn't it be better to just get a "good" service working to begin with, to avoid having to make these statements (that is 3 home matches and 2 statements already), and then move to a premium service?
Disclaimer:
"Just to be clear, all posts are my own views and what I say should not be taken as the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth and in no way should they be assumed as being a voice of the Club"

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:22 am

Spongeball wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:23 am
Again, just my opinion but the clubs approach to live streaming is wrong and the fact Is the current approach isn’t working as it stands.
I do think it's worth making the point that this approach isn't a rigid thing - it's changing all the time with a view to improving.

On the first stream, the sound was shocking. It's now massively improved. A brief problem was fixed much quicker during the Halifax game.

On the first stream there were also some connectivity problems. That was a problem with the bandwidth of the provider, which the club then addressed, and (I don't think?) has been an iussue since. The Halifax streaming issues were down to internet connection, which hadn't been a problem in any broadcasts up to that point.

The price has been criticised too. That price was reduced as an apology for the connection issues, and now includes a programme, which is a compromise between dropping to £10 and sticking at £12 without any more value for money.

So we've had three broadcasts. We've had two statements - more updates on the club website - explaining what's gone wrong and what's being done to fix it. And we're far closer to a finished product than we were against Solihull. We're not doing too badly.
Spongeball wrote:
The above is why I think this is untrue. All of the changes have come about as a result of people complaining, with total justification.

I think generally this board is very supportive of the club and the board. There are a few users who just aren't of that mind and see more negatives than the average user, and a few who act like pariahs of reason when their views aren't that popular because of that, in my opinion.

Stuwfc

Post by Stuwfc » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:29 pm

Spongeball wrote:

It’s the standard answer for all the happy clappys on here . I agree with everything you say . It’s about time the club took some responsibility for things instead of shrugging it’s shoulders and asking for more from fans

JAM

Post by JAM » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:33 pm

isn't this what the FC are trying to do with this statement, realising that there is a problem and informing its fans that they are doing their best to sort it out.

On a day of good news, you still find something to moan about