Today’s stream

wfc462

Re: Today’s stream

Post by wfc462 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:26 pm

SussexSeasider wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:03 pm
There must be a minimum broadband speed for this particular stream. Perhaps the Football Club could publicise it and then those that don’t have it won’t a) waste their money b) won’t come on here moaning. Presuming of course that’s where the problem lies and the problem isn’t at source, i.e. the football club. Would be nice to know either way.
200mb fibre connection here and I had issues.

I suspect its either our clubs internet speed, wiring or a server issue. But since Chesterfield used the same host and their stream was perfect.... I suspect its wokings broadband infrastructure

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:27 pm

KT15 Card wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:24 pm
Why was Chesterfield's so good last week and ours isn't? I know it's run by volunteers, but the amount of crap I see on social media moaning about the price, it's going to be hard to disagree if it carries on.
I don’t remember Weymouth’s cutting out much either?

Plenty on here moan when other clubs charge more than our £18 Admission price. But it’s fine for us to charge more for streaming apparently.

comeonyoucards

Post by comeonyoucards » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:32 pm

Very disappointed with the quality of the stream today. Quite a lot pixellation and freezing during the game - in fact missed the last 10 minutes! Keen to support the team however I can and have tuned into all broadcasts to date and I appreciate that the technical team are working so hard to bring us games that we would otherwise miss. I’ll persevere but sincerely hope that adjustments can be made before others lose patience with the service ☹️

SussexSeasider

Post by SussexSeasider » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:34 pm

cardinalcannon wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:26 pm
SussexSeasider wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:03 pm
There must be a minimum broadband speed for this particular stream. Perhaps the Football Club could publicise it and then those that don’t have it won’t a) waste their money b) won’t come on here moaning. Presuming of course that’s where the problem lies and the problem isn’t at source, i.e. the football club. Would be nice to know either way.
What speed do you typically have at home?

If you open a browser to www.fast.com you should get a download speed test.
Repeat this a couple of times to get an average for your d/l speed at that time - best done on the laptop or tablet you were running the matchday stream to.

Lots of other factors to consider but it's a good starting point
Did a test from my phone (put laptop away now) - the above website says 7.5mbps and the line test with Sky is 9.2mbps. Have no idea if that’s good or bad only that everything else we stream or download never buffers or freezes. We are 8 miles from the exchange in Chichester and that has been an issue with some people and their broadband down here before so not sure if it’s impacting here or not?

Jparvin1

Post by Jparvin1 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:36 pm

First stream of the season for me. It wasn’t a perfect experience from start to finish, with occasional freezing and pixelation, but all in all it was fine. The only part I missed was the Jarvis free kick from the left at around 86 minutes where the stream froze temporarily.

I’d suggest for those claiming ‘unwatchable’ need to either re-adjust expectations, or perhaps their issues were with their internet connection itself.

WFC96

Post by WFC96 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:40 pm

SussexSeasider wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:34 pm
cardinalcannon wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:26 pm

What speed do you typically have at home?

If you open a browser to www.fast.com you should get a download speed test.
Repeat this a couple of times to get an average for your d/l speed at that time - best done on the laptop or tablet you were running the matchday stream to.

Lots of other factors to consider but it's a good starting point
Did a test from my phone (put laptop away now) - the above website says 7.5mbps and the line test with Sky is 9.2mbps. Have no idea if that’s good or bad only that everything else we stream or download never buffers or freezes. We are 8 miles from the exchange in Chichester and that has been an issue with some people and their broadband down here before so not sure if it’s impacting here or not?
9.2 is very slow indeed. Was never unwatchable for more than a minute at a time. Not great and definitely room for a lot of improvement but not refund worthy imo

Jparvin1

Post by Jparvin1 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:46 pm

I’d also say the current price point of £12 is probably causing more issues than it’s worth. Where the league average is £10 per game, away fans who might have paid to tune in, have expressed their dissatisfaction at the higher cost alone and instead opted not to.

Moreover, charging a higher price than average heightens expectation of the product from the get go, meaning any issues there may then be with the stream itself come under greater scrutiny, affecting the reputation of the ‘product’ itself moving forward..

photocard

Post by photocard » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:11 pm

Exactly this, the pricing was based on our product being among the best in the league. I’ve watched two so far and both haven’t been good. I appreciate all the effort that goes in, and the fact we’re supporting the club, but not everyone is going to be happy paying £12, and only being able to watch in patches.

Card Sharp

Post by Card Sharp » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:52 pm

It is a gift. Apparently.

SussexSeasider

Post by SussexSeasider » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:16 pm

Card Sharp wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:52 pm
Wayne I think the ‘it’s a gift’ comment was posted before all the problems became apparent. You’re late to the party today with the sarcasm with that comment...
Last edited by SussexSeasider on Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Since85

Post by Since85 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:18 pm

I had issues with freezing Tuesday and it was suggested it was my IPhone internet signal ( neatest mast is over 1000 meters away)

Card Sharp

Post by Card Sharp » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:27 pm

SussexSeasider wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:16 pm
Card Sharp wrote:
Wayne I think the ‘it’s a gift’ comment was posted before all the problems became apparent. You’re late to the party today with the sarcasm with that comment...
Splendid

Card Sharp

Post by Card Sharp » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:36 pm

SussexSeasider wrote:
Card Sharp wrote:
With respect, issues had been evident from the off.

Look, as KE would say, I appreciate our 'nerds'. All we want is a stream that shows the game. It doesn't have to be all singing all dancing....bit of commentary, ok quality and half decent camera work. Minimal buffering. If weymouth can do it....

cardinalcannon

Post by cardinalcannon » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:51 pm

WFC96 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:40 pm
SussexSeasider wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:34 pm

9.2 is very slow indeed. Was never unwatchable for more than a minute at a time. Not great and definitely room for a lot of improvement but not refund worthy imo
9.2mbps isn't THAT bad, especially if there's 8 miles of copper between the exchange and their home.

An HD stream would typically be between 6 and 8mbps but for SD this needs only be 2 to 3mbps.
This means that, assuming the speed of connection is staying fairly constant and there aren't a load of other devices competing for the available bandwidth, a consistent stream should be achievable.
The browser tool looks like it should be auto-adjusting to the available bandwidth, producing a stream quality that its able to maintain.

One thing to mention is that the encoding used for this stream may be different to that used by Netflix or iPlayer. Those services will be a bit more forgiving of an intermittent client connection by buffering up more content; I'm not sure that the Woking stream does this, it regulates itself to be "live" so that rather than get further behind by buffering, it skips content to catch up to the most recent feed being served up.

All of that said, the fact that a lot of users report the same issues so the fault is more likely to be with either the upload from the club or the processing at the host end.

I would concur with the general consensus that the pricing isn't in line with the product on offer at the moment but also worth remembering that a) this is our only source of income at the moment b) had we been allowed to attend the game in person we would have paid £18 for the privilege of seeing the same 0-0 draw!
Like Rio, I offer nothing.

Nonsense Potter

Post by Nonsense Potter » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:54 pm

SussexSeasider wrote:
Card Sharp wrote:
Is he really called Wayne? It goes some way to explaining the chip on his shoulder.
Scorer of possibly the greatest goal in the history of the Woking FC Supporters' team

Card Sharp

Post by Card Sharp » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:38 pm

Nonsense Potter wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:54 pm
SussexSeasider wrote:

Is he really called Wayne? It goes some way to explaining the chip on his shoulder.
I love my first name...middle name, well...

kansasCard

Post by kansasCard » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:41 pm

Running on 1gb Google fiber here.
Experienced the same freezing and clipping that others had. Pixelation at times etc. If it were a pirated stream I'd be estatic. To be paying nearly $15 with international exchange fees etc etc. I'd be hoping for an overall better connection / quality of stream.
This space intentionally left blank

SussexSeasider

Post by SussexSeasider » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:49 pm

cardinalcannon wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:51 pm
WFC96 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:40 pm

9.2mbps isn't THAT bad, especially if there's 8 miles of copper between the exchange and their home.

An HD stream would typically be between 6 and 8mbps but for SD this needs only be 2 to 3mbps.
This means that, assuming the speed of connection is staying fairly constant and there aren't a load of other devices competing for the available bandwidth, a consistent stream should be achievable.
The browser tool looks like it should be auto-adjusting to the available bandwidth, producing a stream quality that its able to maintain.

One thing to mention is that the encoding used for this stream may be different to that used by Netflix or iPlayer. Those services will be a bit more forgiving of an intermittent client connection by buffering up more content; I'm not sure that the Woking stream does this, it regulates itself to be "live" so that rather than get further behind by buffering, it skips content to catch up to the most recent feed being served up.

All of that said, the fact that a lot of users report the same issues so the fault is more likely to be with either the upload from the club or the processing at the host end.

I would concur with the general consensus that the pricing isn't in line with the product on offer at the moment but also worth remembering that a) this is our only source of income at the moment b) had we been allowed to attend the game in person we would have paid £18 for the privilege of seeing the same 0-0 draw!
Thanks for the explanation - it’s what I’ve been looking for - someone with some techy knowledge! Shall stick with it, at the end of the day, frustration or not the club is getting some much needed income. I’ve put a posting on our local FB page to see what speeds others are getting here and there are people worse off than me but with other providers. Thanks again

MattA

Post by MattA » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:57 am

Have you tried watching on a different device?

For me, it seems far better on an iPad than when using a laptop.
I have absolutely no idea if this is the same for others, or if there is any reason why this would be the case.

The time of the errors being mentioned is interesting. I will have a think about this.

It might be helpful for Nick and others, if people mentioned the time at which they experience problems.

I would foresee there being most problems going into the last 10 minutes, at about 4.35 ish.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:56 am

MattA wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:57 am
Have you tried watching on a different device?

For me, it seems far better on an iPad than when using a laptop.
I have absolutely no idea if this is the same for others, or if there is any reason why this would be the case.

The time of the errors being mentioned is interesting. I will have a think about this.

It might be helpful for Nick and others, if people mentioned the time at which they experience problems.

I would foresee there being most problems going into the last 10 minutes, at about 4.35 ish.
Same here Matt.

plutoniumcard

Post by plutoniumcard » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:15 am

Is it an issue related to the tower we are filming from and connection to the internet in the main part of club?

I understood that there is is a wireless connection to the far side of the pitch ( camera tower) rather than a fixed cable?

If we cant use a long cable, can we move camera to the family stand side of pitch?

Bowler Hat

Post by Bowler Hat » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:11 am

I watch on a desktop with 200mb fibre connection. Yesterday was by far the worst, with constant pixelation and frequent freezing. Almost unwatchable.

kansasCard

Post by kansasCard » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:35 pm

Has anyone / does the club feed all of the issues back to the supplier?
This space intentionally left blank

wokingsteve

Post by wokingsteve » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:40 pm

It is an important revenue stream for all national league clubs . Time to stop
moaning and be grateful for the income which pays for your squad.

GardenGareth

Post by GardenGareth » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:13 pm

wokingsteve wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:40 pm
It is an important revenue stream for all national league clubs . Time to stop
moaning and be grateful for the income which pays for your squad.
An interesting message in the fans forum in todays NLP with somebody from Guildford saying:

"I've read a lot of complaints recently about high streaming prices.
Come on people! Why would you deny your club your valuable revenue at a time like this when you would normally pay more for a matchday ticket?"

I totally agree with this person and we should be bloody grateful that we are able to see our club play regardless of the price. Even though the picture/sound quality is not 100% at times. You have to remember we are NON-LEAGUE and that is what you are going to get.
If you don't like it, tough shit. Stop moaning and put up with it.