Match Thread - Woking v D&R

Nick

Re: Match Thread - Woking v D&R

Post by Nick » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:11 am

Chobham Card wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:03 am
Can someone explain to me why Slavi was so bad against H&R?
Wasn’t he up against Wassmer?

Card Sharp

Post by Card Sharp » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:24 am

A solid performance against a really subdued Dagenham. The 2 injuries obviously did not help as they were pretty toothless up front, and a goalie error helped us.

Casey, Cook, Cooper and Ferdinand stood out for me, but the whole team did well. And although Max and Jarvis came on and did well, and Tarpey did 'ok' in his first start, I do hope Napa recovers! What was up with Goddard?

GladToBeHere

Post by GladToBeHere » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:48 am

Card Sharp wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:24 am
A solid performance against a really subdued Dagenham. The 2 injuries obviously did not help as they were pretty toothless up front, and a goalie error helped us.

Casey, Cook, Cooper and Ferdinand stood out for me, but the whole team did well. And although Max and Jarvis came on and did well, and Tarpey did 'ok' in his first start, I do hope Napa recovers! What was up with Goddard?
Goddard- Could be that he played almost the full game at weekend, which would have been the first time in a good while he could have said that. Possibly rested for weekend as I thought he did well in the Chesterfield game.

GlenH

Post by GlenH » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:46 am

Goddard was my MOTM against Chesterfield and could/should have scored. Certainly plenty of good options out wide.

Card Sharp

Post by Card Sharp » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:56 am

GlenH wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:46 am
Goddard was my MOTM against Chesterfield and could/should have scored. Certainly plenty of good options out wide.
For sure. My only nagging doubt is up front. Can you see Hall and Spasov as a partnership? Our way of playing is good when it works....what happens when it does not?

JGreenwood

Post by JGreenwood » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:02 am

Nick wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:11 am
Chobham Card wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:03 am
Can someone explain to me why Slavi was so bad against H&R?
Wasn’t he up against Wassmer?
A combination of Wassmer and Julian! Was never going to end well. To be fair in that game he did end up in some good positions but couldn't seem to find the net. I'm glad we didn't give up on him after that!

vinrouge

Post by vinrouge » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:03 am

The way I see it is we've a good squad now except for a target man 20 goals a season type player. Spasov does well but i feel he is more of a "fox in the box" type player. Hopefully Jonte Smith is the number 10 we are crying out for?!

GlenH

Post by GlenH » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:21 am

Card Sharp wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:56 am
GlenH wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:46 am
For sure. My only nagging doubt is up front. Can you see Hall and Spasov as a partnership? Our way of playing is good when it works....what happens when it does not?
Yep, agreed. I was quite optimistic about Hall's prospects but based on what I've seen so far I'm not sure it's going to work out for him. He doesn't fit the system we play and he's not done anything in his three cameo appearances to suggest he's going to make much of an impact. Maybe one to loan out and revisit if he finds form elsewhere. I like Spasov a lot but he's raw. If we can add a more experienced target man who could start, with the energy of Spasov off the bench, that would be my preference at this stage.

JAM

Post by JAM » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:34 am

There is lots of competition throughout the squad for all positions, apart from upfront. For me, that is the only position that we need to strengthen with a target man, more akin to Hyde. I like Spasov, who is raw and doesn't mind putting himself about, but I think we do require more than that, and im not sure that Hall is that player.

good performance last night against a side that 1) have spent a lot of money and 2) hope to be near the top at the end of the season. That's 2 home wins against 2 sides that should be up there in May.

Card Sharp

Post by Card Sharp » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:35 am

GlenH wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:21 am
Card Sharp wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:56 am

Yep, agreed. I was quite optimistic about Hall's prospects but based on what I've seen so far I'm not sure it's going to work out for him. He doesn't fit the system we play and he's not done anything in his three cameo appearances to suggest he's going to make much of an impact. Maybe one to loan out and revisit if he finds form elsewhere. I like Spasov a lot but he's raw. If we can add a more experienced target man who could start, with the energy of Spasov off the bench, that would be my preference at this stage.
How many minutes has Hall had in the 3 sub appearances? Less than 30? Is it fair to judge him so critically on that? The Dagenham and Weymouth games we were just seeing things out when he came on.

I do agree in that I don't think he fits our current system, but that's not down to him. Spasov, it would appear, offers much more than Hall based on how we play, however, we have not seen what Hall can do from the start.

Meerkat

Post by Meerkat » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:57 am

Maybe it’s easier for keepers without crowds behind them??
Though how bad would that make Daggers’ keeper for the second.....

Since85

Post by Since85 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:22 am

That was a real howler and deflated them even more after their dangerman went off, I liked our physicality and hopefully Kane will show us more if talent he undoubtedly has, a role slightly further forward seems to suit him more.

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:06 pm

We needed a little more bite in midfield, looks like we have plenty of it now. Loved Dempseys foul as they were breaking clear in the second half, happens to us all the time
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

Nico

Post by Nico » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:14 pm

Solskjaer's only sending off was probably the ultimate in a professional foul - apparently he left the field to a standing ovation. Interestingly Ferguson tore him off a strip, fined him and said 'thats not how we play.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1waQJ3dC5ro

Card Sharp

Post by Card Sharp » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:24 am

Kingfield Ender wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:06 pm
We needed a little more bite in midfield, looks like we have plenty of it now. Loved Dempseys foul as they were breaking clear in the second half, happens to us all the time
Quite how Deering did not get booked for that challenge on Casey in the first half when their sub striker was down injured, I will never know!

I'm not sure I liked Dempsey's challenge as much as you - almost as bad as Luke Shaw's 'attempted' tackle against Spuds.

JAM

Post by JAM » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:39 am

Its 1 of those tackles you like to see your players making but not when others do it

for me, I agree it was like the Shaw 1 in the recent game v Spurs, and both were lucky not to be sent off, esp as the Dempsey one was right in front of the benches

Card Sharp

Post by Card Sharp » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:00 am

I don't mind certain cynical fouls. On a scale of 1-10 that was about an 8 or 9. Shaw's was probably a 10! That was a bit too cynical for my liking.

When you think Spasov stupidly got booked for standing in front of a free kick, which was the right call btw, it's hardly as serious as offence as Dempsey's tackle. Puts in some perspective.

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:14 am

you are correct Card Sharp, the Deering tackle was 100% a yellow
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:23 pm

Card Sharp wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:24 am
Kingfield Ender wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:06 pm
Quite how Deering did not get booked for that challenge on Casey in the first half when their sub striker was down injured, I will never know!

I'm not sure I liked Dempsey's challenge as much as you - almost as bad as Luke Shaw's 'attempted' tackle against Spuds.
Shaw’s one was worse though as it was pure petulance and frustration at having been outpaced while 6-1 down. Should have been a red.

Dempsey’s was at least trying to stop a counter attack.

Card Sharp

Post by Card Sharp » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:37 pm

I agree Shaw's one was worse, but he was 'trying' to stop an attack, much like Dempsey. In both cases, no attempt to take the ball, only the player - even Novak Djokovic could not slide that far to win the tackle.