Match Thread Chesterfield (A)

Cardinals Rule
Posts: 425
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 5:16 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Match Thread Chesterfield (A)

Post by Cardinals Rule » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:26 pm

Absolutely leaked goals when Nathan went off.

Need to work on turning pressure into goals.

We played well, though, and should have confidence going into Tuesday and for the season.

Nonsense Potter
Posts: 3083
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:22 am
Has thanked: 115 times
Been thanked: 341 times

Re: Match Thread Chesterfield (A)

Post by Nonsense Potter » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:53 pm

Only managed to listen to the game, so can’t comment accurately on the performance - but I think you’d struggle to find one of us who wouldn’t have taken six points from the first two games, however we got the points.

Three goals in such a short space of time is always a worry, but we’d changed formation and just seemed to have one of those days when we can’t score and the opposition take their chances. It’s happened the other way around under Dowse in this league - so time to move on and focus on Tuesday. Shit happens.
Scorer of possibly the greatest goal in the history of the Woking FC Supporters' team

Growler
Posts: 1583
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:54 pm
Has thanked: 194 times
Been thanked: 171 times

Re: Match Thread Chesterfield (A)

Post by Growler » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:55 pm

Cardinals Rule wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:26 pm
...We played well, though, and should have confidence going into Tuesday and for the season.
Confidence is everything.
Good performance or not, getting kicked in the balls late on like that will hurt.
Tuesday becomes a big test.
As yet uninvited to Plug’s WhatsApp group

kansasCard
Posts: 2925
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:38 pm
Location: Downtown Kansas City Missouri
Has thanked: 232 times
Been thanked: 177 times
Contact:

Re: Match Thread Chesterfield (A)

Post by kansasCard » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:14 pm

sounds like a really close game that we could have won but only narrowly lost 4 - 0 ?
This space intentionally left blank

GladToBeHere
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:15 pm
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Match Thread Chesterfield (A)

Post by GladToBeHere » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:37 pm

Game changed, not in our favour, as a result of the substitutions. It can happen, went for the equaliser and then capitulated defensively.

Be interesting to see if this forces some changes to the starting XI on Tuesday. Roll on the the next instalment of CardsLive!

DesCartes
Posts: 1450
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:31 am
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 64 times

Re: Match Thread Chesterfield (A)

Post by DesCartes » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:12 pm

Kingfield Ender wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:14 pm
I remember a tuesday night game at home to Morecambe many years ago, they battered us , we had 3 shots and won 3-0

Would be worse if we were shite today
I recall the game. IIRC, Morecambe had something like 32 shots on goal. Evidence suggests that the game was on Tuesday 13th March 2001, and the result was actually 3-1; scorers that night were Griffin, Kadi + 1 other.

Red and White Army
Posts: 1956
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:53 pm
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 38 times

Re: Match Thread Chesterfield (A)

Post by Red and White Army » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:37 pm

Stuwfc wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:58 pm
The amount of crosses and corners we had yet did absolutely nothing with them . They literally had four chances and scored with all of them ! We need a big target man if we are going to continue playing like that .
Yep. I hope the first few games aren’t a indication of things to come - create lots of chances but no one to score them.

Card Sharp
Posts: 948
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:50 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Match Thread Chesterfield (A)

Post by Card Sharp » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:32 pm

oh dear....

MattA
Posts: 473
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:05 pm
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Match Thread Chesterfield (A)

Post by MattA » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:22 pm

Yes, interesting post.
It was a four goals to nil defeat.
Still, we have six points from three matches, and it is an interesting league table at this stage. Macclesfield, despite not participating in the league, are currently above both Aldershot and Maidenhead in the BBC version of the league table.

pooh
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:50 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Match Thread Chesterfield (A)

Post by pooh » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:19 am

It seemed to me with 20 mins to go, we were the team in the ascendency. We were moving the ball around well but without creating much in their box. Their defence were playing very deep and there was no space to get in behind them. I can understand Dowse's reasoning to change things so bringing another forward on is a logical step. Unfortunately, playing 3 at the back just didn't work as our (now) wing backs were playing high up the field in search of that elusive goal and leaving the defence vulnerable and we paid the price.

Growler
Posts: 1583
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:54 pm
Has thanked: 194 times
Been thanked: 171 times

Re: Match Thread Chesterfield (A)

Post by Growler » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:06 pm

pooh wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:19 am
It seemed to me with 20 mins to go, we were the team in the ascendency. We were moving the ball around well but without creating much in their box. Their defence were playing very deep and there was no space to get in behind them. I can understand Dowse's reasoning to change things so bringing another forward on is a logical step. Unfortunately, playing 3 at the back just didn't work as our (now) wing backs were playing high up the field in search of that elusive goal and leaving the defence vulnerable and we paid the price.
That old adage: In looking for an equaliser you may as well lose by four goals as one. Tough break.
As yet uninvited to Plug’s WhatsApp group

MattA
Posts: 473
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:05 pm
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Match Thread Chesterfield (A)

Post by MattA » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:38 pm

Growler wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:06 pm
pooh wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:19 am
It seemed to me with 20 mins to go, we were the team in the ascendency. We were moving the ball around well but without creating much in their box. Their defence were playing very deep and there was no space to get in behind them. I can understand Dowse's reasoning to change things so bringing another forward on is a logical step. Unfortunately, playing 3 at the back just didn't work as our (now) wing backs were playing high up the field in search of that elusive goal and leaving the defence vulnerable and we paid the price.
That old adage: In looking for an equaliser you may as well lose by four goals as one. Tough break.
It should also encourage Dagenham and Redbridge Forest and Walthamstow and Ilford to attack on Tuesday evening.

They will have been misled by the scoreline, into now thinking they have the slightest possibility of victory at Kingfield.

Meanwhile we will know far better. Hence, on Tuesday, we will take the field with a cast iron guarantee of victory.

JAM
Posts: 1444
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:01 am
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Match Thread Chesterfield (A)

Post by JAM » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:19 pm

Having watched the game on Saturday I wasn't that disappointed in the performance, in fact I thought we played well and deserved something from the game.
What I was disappointed in was the use of the subs.
Max for Block made very little sense, as it moved Kane further back. There has been a lot of positive talk in the 2 previous games about the midfield 3, and I think Kane is a better player when playing as the furthest forward of the 3. with 2 players behind him doing the 'dirty work'.
I can understand bringing Jarvis on as the 2nd sub, as Goddard was having some joy down that side and I assume it was hoped that Jarvis would continue to provide. However, I cant work out why Goddard was replaced, and not Napa, moving Goddard to the right side. It seemed to me that the 1 problem we had on Saturday was lack of width on that side, with Napa moving inside a lot and Collier not able to provide the overlaps.
I can also understand when 1-0 down in the closing stages bringing on a 2nd striker(personally I would have used Tarpey). I didn't understand the need to go to 3 at the back. I realise we were chasing the game, and that sub would make sense if it was a cup game or a game at the end of the season where points were needed, but at 1-0 we were still in the game. We opened ourselves up so much, that it was easy picking for Chesterfield in the last 10 mins. To me it would have more sense to take off Napa and go 4-4-2, pushing Max wide. It also looked like the players weren't sure what the system was after the 3rd sub.
Im not normally critical of our superb management team, but I felt that they got the tactical part of the game wrong in the 2nd half.
anyway, onwards and hopefully upwards to tomorrow night

Adrian
Posts: 1862
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:07 pm
Has thanked: 773 times
Been thanked: 97 times

Re: Match Thread Chesterfield (A)

Post by Adrian » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:47 pm

JAM wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:19 pm
Having watched the game on Saturday I wasn't that disappointed in the performance, in fact I thought we played well and deserved something from the game.
What I was disappointed in was the use of the subs.
Max for Block made very little sense, as it moved Kane further back. There has been a lot of positive talk in the 2 previous games about the midfield 3, and I think Kane is a better player when playing as the furthest forward of the 3. with 2 players behind him doing the 'dirty work'.
I can understand bringing Jarvis on as the 2nd sub, as Goddard was having some joy down that side and I assume it was hoped that Jarvis would continue to provide. However, I cant work out why Goddard was replaced, and not Napa, moving Goddard to the right side. It seemed to me that the 1 problem we had on Saturday was lack of width on that side, with Napa moving inside a lot and Collier not able to provide the overlaps.
I can also understand when 1-0 down in the closing stages bringing on a 2nd striker(personally I would have used Tarpey). I didn't understand the need to go to 3 at the back. I realise we were chasing the game, and that sub would make sense if it was a cup game or a game at the end of the season where points were needed, but at 1-0 we were still in the game. We opened ourselves up so much, that it was easy picking for Chesterfield in the last 10 mins. To me it would have more sense to take off Napa and go 4-4-2, pushing Max wide. It also looked like the players weren't sure what the system was after the 3rd sub.
Im not normally critical of our superb management team, but I felt that they got the tactical part of the game wrong in the 2nd half.
anyway, onwards and hopefully upwards to tomorrow night

Did you listen to Alan’s interview after the match?

JAM
Posts: 1444
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:01 am
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Match Thread Chesterfield (A)

Post by JAM » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:30 pm

I will be honest, I didn't, but I am led to believe, having read the match report, that he wanted to get as many attacking players on the field as possible. Whilst I understand the reasons for that, and whilst we are all experts with hindsight, I was confused at the time if that was the right move and still remain confused

Nonsense Potter
Posts: 3083
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:22 am
Has thanked: 115 times
Been thanked: 341 times

Re: Match Thread Chesterfield (A)

Post by Nonsense Potter » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:17 pm

Stuwfc wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:57 pm
Not so sure about that Napa seems to have no end product
This aged well.
Scorer of possibly the greatest goal in the history of the Woking FC Supporters' team


Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cardinal96, Chobham Card, Google Adsense [Bot], Ian B and 28 guests

Cardboard

Cardsboard.co.uk is not an official message board of Woking Football Club or The Cards Trust, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Please be warned that some posts will contain swear words.

Vanarama National League Club Forums: Aldershot Town | Altrincham | Barnet | Bromley | Chesterfield | Dagenham & Redbridge | Dover Athletic | Eastleigh | FC Halifax Town | Hartlepool United | King's Lynn Town | Maidenhead United | Notts County | Solihull Moors | Stockport County | Sutton United | Torquay United | Wealdstone | Weymouth | Wrexham

Unofficial League Forums: The Conference Forum

Other Links: Cards Trust - Boost the Budget | wokingfc.co.uk | Surrey Advertiser | Woking News and Mail | Woking FC Official Photo Gallery | BBC Sport - Woking | BBC Football Commentaries