Red and White Army

Yes - it has got to this stage

Post by Red and White Army » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:22 am

Over the next couple of weeks:

Tuesday 13/02: York v Dorking

Saturday 17/02: Kiddy v Dorking and Oxford v Southend

Tuesday 20/02: Ebbsfleet v Woking

Saturday 24/02: Dorking v Ebbsfleet

Gonna be make or break for Dorking over their next 4 games....

Kingfield Ender

Re: Yes - it has got to this stage

Post by Kingfield Ender » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:09 am

Yep we're there now

Oxford look toast, however some of the other teams have a game or two in hand on us. Forget all that nonsense about 45 being enough, I think it will be 50. So 6 wins from 14 please !!

Our defence is handy enough but we need to start scoring more than 1 more often. Would still think MD will be looking for someone to put it in the white netty thing as we can't seem to rely on RGC or Browne often enough
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

Growler

Post by Growler » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:15 am

If Dorking go down (good luck to them obviously, wouldn’t wish it on anyone) we need a fresh INVASION fixture.

I’m fucked if I’m going back to Gangrene Lane Sutton with anything other than bored weariness. So there has to be some alternative, no?

Can we either stick them on (or add Lewes) as a mid-season friendly, please?? Maybe on a spare Cup/Trophy weekend, perhaps?
This message brought to you through the POWER OF FACT.

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:37 am

Growler wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:15 am
If Dorking go down (good luck to them obviously, wouldn’t wish it on anyone) we need a fresh INVASION fixture.

I’m fucked if I’m going back to Gangrene Lane Sutton with anything other than bored weariness. So there has to be some alternative, no?

Can we either stick them on (or add Lewes) as a mid-season friendly, please?? Maybe on a spare Cup/Trophy weekend, perhaps?
What about Worthing if they go up/we go down/they stay down?

JAM

Post by JAM » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:39 am

Kingfield Ender wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:09 am
Yep we're there now

Oxford look toast, however some of the other teams have a game or two in hand on us. Forget all that nonsense about 45 being enough, I think it will be 50. So 6 wins from 14 please !!

Our defence is handy enough but we need to start scoring more than 1 more often. Would still think MD will be looking for someone to put it in the white netty thing as we can't seem to rely on RGC or Browne often enough
agree with all of that

the only thing different this year to previous years is that with most teams having 14 games to go there are still alot of teams that are in the relegation fight. 7 points between Dorking in 21st and Rochdale in 10th. Some thought D&R were in trouble a week or so ago, 2 wins in 3 has moved them to mid table, BW have 2 consecutive wins and are up to 13th. Conversely Eastleigh looked like they were in the fight for POs, and are dropping like a stone

Growler

Post by Growler » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:51 am

The last few weeks has really compressed the lower half.

Our own 7 from 12 would usually be a real bump up, but for Fylde York Ebbsfleet and Kiddy getting even better results.

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:52 am

Kidderminster were dead and buried with 20 points from 28 matches then went and won 4 in a row.

Oxford will be gone though - they haven't beaten anyone above 18th in the table since early September.

Growler

Post by Growler » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:55 am

Ebbsfleet is a biggun.
I was mistaken before. Their form over six games was better, but not over the last four. If we win that one and keep going ok, we can look at the sunny uplands of comfortable mid-table.
Ten in a row is the playoffs baby!

Growler

Post by Growler » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:56 am

Red and White Army wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:52 am
Kidderminster were dead and buried with 20 points from 28 matches then went and won 4 in a row.

Oxford will be gone though - they haven't beaten anyone above 18th in the table since early September.
Oxford are/were dreadful.
They beat us (even us when we were godawful) only because we literally gave them goals.

JAM

Post by JAM » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:22 am

Growler wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:55 am
Ebbsfleet is a biggun.
I was mistaken before. Their form over six games was better, but not over the last four. If we win that one and keep going ok, we can look at the sunny uplands of comfortable mid-table.
Ten in a row is the playoffs baby!
It is, and its the next big one to win.
KE mentions 6 wins from the remaining 14.
Ebbsfleet, Wealdstone, Kidderminster, Southend, Eastleigh, York & Fylde would be the obvious ones to choose. The problem being that the last 2 are the last 2 games of the season. Would be nice to be able to relax for the last home game.
we also have Southend & D&R to play, but again 2 games towards the end of the season

there are going to be ups and downs between now and the end. We could be 3rd bottom tomorrow night. however we also still be out of the relegation.

to add to the original post of fixtures by R&WA, I would add Ebbsfleet v Eastleigh to the list for Saturday

Kanu's Nan

Post by Kanu's Nan » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:32 am

Halifax's recent form makes our game there on Saturday a very interesting yardstick. They haven't won in five at home.
self appointed protector of the downtrodden

JAM

Post by JAM » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:47 am

Kanu's Nan wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:32 am
Halifax's recent form makes our game there on Saturday a very interesting yardstick. They haven't won in five at home.
Didnt realise that. Interesting

again there are going to be results that will annoy other teams in and around the drop zone. Who would have thought the Ebbsfleet would have got something at Chesterfield Saturday. Chesterfield themselves still have a couple of games against those at the bottom, BUT might not be too bothered once theyve won the league. We go to Bromley Easter Monday, but they might be preparing for the POs by then.

its an old cliche, and its not easy when you are in the position we are in (wasnt easy for a different reason last season). Each game at a time and see where it gets us

Kanu's Nan

Post by Kanu's Nan » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:50 am

There's some generally mad shit in our league when you dig into the form.

Boreham Wood have lost one of their last six - 3-0 vs Dorking
Eastleigh rock bottom of the form guide and very much heading toward the fight
Oldham have just gone goalless against Woking and Ebbsfleet
Fylde have won five of their last six, only dropping points against the aforementioned Halifax

Our next four games, which we basically already knew, are pretty indicative of how things will end up. 7-9pts from those four will probably send us further up the league than the 7 from four we just took did.
self appointed protector of the downtrodden

Calluna Card

Post by Calluna Card » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:42 pm

I think the most incredible switcharoo is that Kiddy (H) was probably our most desirable looking fixture after Oxford until recent weeks..now it's one that fills me slightly with dread. A remarkable turnaround under Phil Brown.

I suppose you could argue that if they carry on in their current vein of form they'll be considerably more clear of danger by the time we face them so it becomes less of a "six pointer".

As stated previously I'm far more interested in what those higher up who are looking over their shoulder are doing than those who are directly around us.

It's MUCH better to be in the chasing pack than to be the chased with this many games to go. Southend, Eastleigh and even Rochdale are having massive wobbles. I wouldn't be feeling particularly comfortable if I was Boreham Wood or a Dagger either.

All this...but ultimately it starts with us scoring bloody goals .

COYC.

Calluna Card

Post by Calluna Card » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:44 pm

Growler wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:15 am
If it's us or them then -sorry Dorking - I hope it's them but I really hope they stay up. They sacked a coach over the weekend so maybe they'll find something.

H Card

Post by H Card » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:23 pm

They sacked a coach over the weekend so maybe they'll find something.
This is hilarious. Not Marc Whites fault (manager) they are struggling so just sack one of the coaching staff...

JAM

Post by JAM » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:39 pm

Just had a look at their website

It was the ex school teacher who was in charge of that lot from over the border last season that has left the club

Calluna Card

Post by Calluna Card » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:52 pm

H Card wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:23 pm
They sacked a coach over the weekend so maybe they'll find something.
This is hilarious. Not Marc Whites fault (manager) they are struggling so just sack one of the coaching staff...
Whichever league they end up in, I wouldn't be surprised if Dowse ended up at Dorking (should Marc White sack himself) if for no other reason that they both have "like digging their players out in public" in common.

doylie

Post by doylie » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:41 pm

I suspect the PE Teacher got the push so that Mark with a "C" can bring Scummer Mark Beard back.
Memories of the past, visions of the future - follow on Twitter and Instagram
https://twitter.com/cardinal_tales