Vile Hobby Club it is then, not The BELT

Adrian
Posts: 1742
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:07 pm
Has thanked: 716 times
Been thanked: 83 times

Vile Hobby Club it is then, not The BELT

Post by Adrian » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:53 pm

Notts Co to serve at least another years punishment in our league.

Still, if allowed to travel, a decent awayday.

Ashcard
Posts: 971
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:40 pm
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: Vile Hobby Club it is then, not The BELT

Post by Ashcard » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:04 pm

When was the last time we got a 100% win record against the 2 promoted teams? (Yes i know, but don't let all the facts get in the way!) Full credit to us.

Cardinals Rule
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 5:16 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Vile Hobby Club it is then, not The BELT

Post by Cardinals Rule » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:10 pm

Three of the four play off semi finalists were in the bottom six in the attendance tables.

Card Sharp
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:50 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Vile Hobby Club it is then, not The BELT

Post by Card Sharp » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:14 pm

Cardinals Rule wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:10 pm
Three of the four play off semi finalists were in the bottom six in the attendance tables.
So?

Red and White Army
Posts: 1788
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:53 pm
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: Vile Hobby Club it is then, not The BELT

Post by Red and White Army » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:28 pm

Card Sharp wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:14 pm
Cardinals Rule wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:10 pm
Three of the four play off semi finalists were in the bottom six in the attendance tables.
So?
Most people on here seem to think you should just decide league positions by attendance and not bother playing any matches.

The same people who didn’t have a problem when our directors were topping up our losses under Garry Hill.

Kingfield Ender
Posts: 4718
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:48 am
Has thanked: 438 times
Been thanked: 359 times

Re: Vile Hobby Club it is then, not The BELT

Post by Kingfield Ender » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:40 pm

A decent Saturday support from Notts County is worth around £15,000 to us.

But sad that a club who have done little to get their ground ready have spent their way out of the division
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

Stuwfc
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:40 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Vile Hobby Club it is then, not The BELT

Post by Stuwfc » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:43 pm

Kingfield Ender wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:40 pm
A decent Saturday support from Notts County is worth around £15,000 to us.

But sad that a club who have done little to get their ground ready have spent their way out of the division
That is how you do it buddy ! Has the penny not dropped yet ?

Kingfield Ender
Posts: 4718
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:48 am
Has thanked: 438 times
Been thanked: 359 times

Re: Vile Hobby Club it is then, not The BELT

Post by Kingfield Ender » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:48 pm

No, you want 3G and bankrolling before the inevitable financial catastrophe?
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

AndyT
Posts: 3165
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:11 pm
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 191 times

Re: Vile Hobby Club it is then, not The BELT

Post by AndyT » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:19 am

Why call them vile? What's vile about them? Have you been there? I've been there three times and enjoyed my visits. A friendly welcome and excellent pies.

The only thing that's annoying me about their promotion is I didn't get the chance to see Woking play there. Hopefully another time.

Skybluecard
Posts: 394
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:00 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Vile Hobby Club it is then, not The BELT

Post by Skybluecard » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:24 am

AndyT wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:19 am
Why call them vile? What's vile about them? Have you been there? I've been there three times and enjoyed my visits. A friendly welcome and excellent pies.

The only thing that's annoying me about their promotion is I didn't get the chance to see Woking play there. Hopefully another time.
Totally this! I had an invite for the game at Harrogate with their sponsors (my customer) with a whole weekend arranged at their expense with me and my partner wearing WFC shirts in the VIP area! HTFC are far from vile and are a very friendly club.. I still have an invite to watch their first home game in Div 2 as soon as we are able. Harrogate as a weekend away is excellent and a big miss for Woking fans. I hope we join them next season!

Card Sharp
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:50 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Vile Hobby Club it is then, not The BELT

Post by Card Sharp » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:28 am

Why call them vile? Because they don't run their club in the same successful manner we do.

Since85
Posts: 812
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:51 pm
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Vile Hobby Club it is then, not The BELT

Post by Since85 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:41 pm

At the risk of being flamed, couldnt we have been called Chris Ingrams hobby club?

kansasCard
Posts: 2839
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:38 pm
Location: Downtown Kansas City Missouri
Has thanked: 220 times
Been thanked: 172 times
Contact:

Re: Vile Hobby Club it is then, not The BELT

Post by kansasCard » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:58 pm

Vile because they have money? Vile because they got promoted? As i understand it the managers father is the roller? If the son gets the boot could the funds go too? Good luck to them next season. Will be interesting to see how Notts Co. bounce back from this.
This space intentionally left blank

Better Red
Posts: 762
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:53 am
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 43 times

Re: Vile Hobby Club it is then, not The BELT

Post by Better Red » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:35 pm

Card Sharp wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:28 am
Because they don't run their club in the same successful manner we do.
Probably not a good moment to be debating the possible sporting or commercial definitions of 'successful'? We might have had a few more through the turnstiles on a Saturday afternoon, but the playoffs have proved elusive over the many more seasons than HTFC that we have competed at Step 5.

As ever, 'punching above our weight' will have to do.

Without wishing to be provocative, does there come a point where one is so grateful for the simple existence of ones chosen Club that any ambition requiring additional resources is seen as a risk to be avoided at all costs? Indeed, can we only survive now as wholly risk-averse in an 'aim low and avoid disappointment' scenario, and how can the momentum of last season be maintained if this is the case?

Still looking forward to October!
COYC.

Card Sharp
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:50 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Vile Hobby Club it is then, not The BELT

Post by Card Sharp » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:03 pm

Better Red wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:35 pm
Card Sharp wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:28 am
Because they don't run their club in the same successful manner we do.
Probably not a good moment to be debating the possible sporting or commercial definitions of 'successful'? We might have had a few more through the turnstiles on a Saturday afternoon, but the playoffs have proved elusive over the many more seasons than HTFC that we have competed at Step 5.

As ever, 'punching above our weight' will have to do.

Without wishing to be provocative, does there come a point where one is so grateful for the simple existence of ones chosen Club that any ambition requiring additional resources is seen as a risk to be avoided at all costs? Indeed, can we only survive now as wholly risk-averse in an 'aim low and avoid disappointment' scenario, and how can the momentum of last season be maintained if this is the case?

Still looking forward to October!
COYC.
Agreed

Mine was a flippant comment in response to one of the most stupid comments made on here. And there has been lots, and some of them have been mine.

The other point you raise as to punching above our weight. Yes, in a financial sense perhaps. Whether that is because we are risk averse, or for some reason do not have a benefactor who really wants to go for it, or we are perhaps not as well run as we should be. However, this is our natural level really. Look at the last 30 years of this club. The majority have been spent in this division. Missed opportunities back in the mid to late 90s for sure.

Reaching the play offs this season would be really, really punching.

As you say, do we just be happy that we have a club? That is not going to push the club forward, and sadly the doomed stadium project has been a blow.

Since85
Posts: 812
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:51 pm
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Vile Hobby Club it is then, not The BELT

Post by Since85 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:45 pm

A good FA Cup run always helps , Watford (bless them)
put us back in the public consciousness.
Just hoping we can attract a few more local punters when Covid is tamed.

Stuwfc
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:40 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Vile Hobby Club it is then, not The BELT

Post by Stuwfc » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:37 pm

Card Sharp wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:28 am
Why call them vile? Because they don't run their club in the same successful manner we do.
Lol probably the best post on this forum ever

Stuwfc
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:40 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Vile Hobby Club it is then, not The BELT

Post by Stuwfc » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:41 pm

They have done it the right way . Go for it no excuses 3G 4 g whatever . They want league football we only want to exist

Cardinals Rule
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 5:16 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Vile Hobby Club it is then, not The BELT

Post by Cardinals Rule » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:06 am

Stuwfc wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:41 pm
They have done it the right way . Go for it no excuses 3G 4 g whatever . They want league football we only want to exist
They have a multi-millionaire owner and were full-time in the National League North so we are not currently in comparable positions. We definitely want League football, but need to exist to achieve that.

Meerkat
Posts: 2123
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:14 pm
Has thanked: 90 times
Been thanked: 104 times

Re: Vile Hobby Club it is then, not The BELT

Post by Meerkat » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:20 pm

Weren’t we full time in Conference South at one point?

Nonsense Potter
Posts: 2996
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:22 am
Has thanked: 110 times
Been thanked: 362 times

Re: Vile Hobby Club it is then, not The BELT

Post by Nonsense Potter » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:07 pm

Meerkat wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:20 pm
Weren’t we full time in Conference South at one point?
Yes. Under Graham Baker, with Shahid making decisions. It was not a good time.
Scorer of possibly the greatest goal in the history of the Woking FC Supporters' team

Meerkat
Posts: 2123
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:14 pm
Has thanked: 90 times
Been thanked: 104 times

Re: Vile Hobby Club it is then, not The BELT

Post by Meerkat » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:29 pm

I don’t think we are in any place to be smug about other hobby clubs.
The glorious years involved spending more than we could really afford whilst not spending on the ground (the council money bought a ground grading but no transformational improvement in facilities or money making).
When a millionaire turned up we were broke and owned a ground.
At the end of his time we were broke, didn’t have a ground, AND owed him a shedload of money.

Cardinals Rule
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 5:16 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Vile Hobby Club it is then, not The BELT

Post by Cardinals Rule » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:01 pm

Our history finance-wise, is, perhaps, not great, but we don't currently have a millionaire owner - although Dowse/Rosemary may find one.
Nonsense Potter wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:07 pm
Meerkat wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:20 pm
Weren’t we full time in Conference South at one point?
with Shahid making decisions.
The High Sherfif, if you don't mind!


Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Better Red, Cardinal96, Mingus, oakie and 25 guests

Cardboard

Cardsboard.co.uk is not an official message board of Woking Football Club or The Cards Trust, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Please be warned that some posts will contain swear words.

Vanarama National League Club Forums: Aldershot Town | Barnet | Barrow | Bromley | Chesterfield | Chorley | Dagenham & Redbridge | Dover Athletic | Eastleigh | Ebbsfleet United | FC Halifax Town | Harrogate Town | Hartlepool United | Maidenhead United | Notts County | Solihull Moors | Stockport County | Sutton United | Torquay United | Wrexham

Unofficial League Forums: The Conference Forum

Other Links: Cards Trust - Boost the Budget | wokingfc.co.uk | Surrey Advertiser | Woking News and Mail | Woking FC Official Photo Gallery | BBC Sport - Woking | BBC Football Commentaries