Poku not signing new contract

WFC96

Poku not signing new contract

Post by WFC96 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:24 pm

Poku tweeted that he won’t be signing on again with us next season. Looks like the tweet has been deleted though? Massive shame but I wish him all the best.

Hampshire Card

Re: Poku not signing new contract

Post by Hampshire Card » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:25 pm

WFC96 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:24 pm
Poku tweeted that he won’t be signing on again with us next season. Looks like the tweet has been deleted though? Massive shame but I wish him all the best.
When was this?

WFC96

Post by WFC96 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:28 pm

Posted about 10 mins ago. I’ve got a screenshot but not sure if/how to post it on here

Hampshire Card

Post by Hampshire Card » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:30 pm

WFC96 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:28 pm
Posted about 10 mins ago. I’ve got a screenshot but not sure if/how to post it on here
Should be able to post it as a photo

Lurker

Post by Lurker » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:36 pm

What would be the point of re-posting something he's posted and then instantly deleted?

WFC96

Post by WFC96 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:37 pm

Adz

Post by Adz » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:41 pm

A huge shame but not a surprise in the current situation. Wouldn't be surprised if he re joins Wealdstone.

wokingsteve

Post by wokingsteve » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:29 pm

Very good ball winning midfielder, if the rumours are true he is joining Aldershot.

Hampshire Card

Post by Hampshire Card » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:34 pm

What this does mean is that we need to start offering some deals to players now, cause otherwise we will be left with all the rejected players. Surely we’ve got enough money to recruit some players and re sign some old ones?

TWR

Post by TWR » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:13 pm

There is no money coming in. Other teams can spend money - but where are they getting it from at this time? We have no income to pay players to sit around doing nothing.
"Nunca Dejes De Creer..."

Adz

Post by Adz » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:14 pm

Hampshire Card wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:34 pm
What this does mean is that we need to start offering some deals to players now, cause otherwise we will be left with all the rejected players. Surely we’ve got enough money to recruit some players and re sign some old ones?
Need to trust in Dowse and Rosemary, other than chucking a load of money in that's all we can do

Nonsense Potter

Post by Nonsense Potter » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:48 pm

Hampshire Card wrote:
I think you need to put a little faith in what Dowse, Dyer and Tyler have always done with players that are viewed as rejects. Compare last season’s squad with some of the teams Garry Hill had - we don’t have anywhere near the talent we’ve had before, but we were as organised as I can ever remember and the work rate is a million miles from what we saw even two seasons ago.

We, as a fan base, need to be realistic. We also don’t need to panic when there’s no prospect of games for some weeks and an outside chance that the clowns running the country might change the rules again five more times before we even kick a ball.
Scorer of possibly the greatest goal in the history of the Woking FC Supporters' team

Hampshire Card

Post by Hampshire Card » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:23 pm

Nonsense Potter wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:48 pm
Hampshire Card wrote:
I think you need to put a little faith in what Dowse, Dyer and Tyler have always done with players that are viewed as rejects. Compare last season’s squad with some of the teams Garry Hill had - we don’t have anywhere near the talent we’ve had before, but we were as organised as I can ever remember and the work rate is a million miles from what we saw even two seasons ago.

We, as a fan base, need to be realistic. We also don’t need to panic when there’s no prospect of games for some weeks and an outside chance that the clowns running the country might change the rules again five more times before we even kick a ball.
Maybe I was a bit reactionary, on reflection we have 2 months left and a top manager who knows what he needs, he’ll get us set up before the season starts

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:59 pm

It's also worth noting that Dowse's use of the loan market was almost immaculate last year. How many teams managed to loan in the captain of a Championship team?! There will be more players like Edser, Harris, Neufville (who I loved in particular) and Dempsey to plug any gaps in the squad.

Poku will be a big miss though. Keen to see who we choose to replace him and Donnellan in the middle of the park.

Meerkat

Post by Meerkat » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:16 pm

I don’t think we should be too worried about competing. Even staying up is secondary to making sure the club actually survives what could end up being over a year without gate money.

TWR

Post by TWR » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:20 pm

Meerkat wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:16 pm
I don’t think we should be too worried about competing. Even staying up is secondary to making sure the club actually survives what could end up being over a year without gate money.
This.

Of course we want to be competitive, but the teams throwing away money and signing contracts for 2 years when there is no guarantee football will even happen any time soon is crazy. They'll face the consequences later. I'd much rather have a football team for years to come.

kansasCard

Post by kansasCard » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:52 am

Really wished we'd kept him. Poku and woking just never seemed to click.
This space intentionally left blank

Card Sharp

Post by Card Sharp » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:59 am

Poku clicked with us fans. I will miss you Godfrey.

Dowse went from not liking him much, to praising him often, to not liking him much and so on. Shame if this is true, and even worse if he goes to the Shots.

A slight concern if we are unable to offer him a contract. But, as ever, let us wait and see if our approach is the right one. I do not buy that how our club is run should be held aloft, and we should look down on other clubs. It is frankly embarrassing given missed opportunities over the years. Not that I am knocking our current board or management.

I would also say Dowse's use of the loan market was hardly immaculate! Decent is a better description.

Wokingcard

Post by Wokingcard » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:55 am

Another player that would have stayed had we had a budget in place. I fail to see why we can't put a provisional budget in place so we can at least sign some more of last year's squad...we will have to have a budget in place eventually so why not just put a prudent one in now so that we can begin to fill a squad? Now seeing last season's squad dismantled because we can't tie down players. Dowse working with his hands tied behind his back - can't be expected to work miracles every season

TWR

Post by TWR » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:44 am

Wokingcard wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:55 am
Another player that would have stayed had we had a budget in place. I fail to see why we can't put a provisional budget in place so we can at least sign some more of last year's squad...we will have to have a budget in place eventually so why not just put a prudent one in now so that we can begin to fill a squad? Now seeing last season's squad dismantled because we can't tie down players. Dowse working with his hands tied behind his back - can't be expected to work miracles every season
What budget would YOU put in place? No games since March, no games until God knows when. Therefore ZERO income. for the last 5 months and many more months to come. Proposed start date of games in October, which is two months from now, and at reduced capacity, meaning less income than we normally have coming in. What budget can you make with that? We're in a world pandemic, this is not a normal time.

I really can't understand how people can be moaning about us not signing players when it's simple economics. No money coming in means no money to pay players with.

I work at a university - they are predicting MASSIVE loss of income in the coming year and years, and so have started redundancies. This is when they already have income at the moment (which the football club has NOT had) and when students will still likely go to university in the coming year. A football club who hasn't played a game since March (or was it February, I can't even remember now), and who hasn't therefore had a crowd paying money to come to the games, won't have money to spend. We won't have gate money til at least October, and then massively reduced capacity apparently. Where oh where is this money for a budget meant to come from?!

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:52 am

Wokingcard wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:55 am
I fail to see why we can't put a provisional budget in place so we can at least sign some more of last year's squad.
You mean like if we'd moved quickly to secure Ross, Cook, Gerring, Jarvis, Tarps and Max?

Card Sharp

Post by Card Sharp » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:24 am

Let's not over egg one way or the other. We have not been paying wages have we? We have had no income from gates have we? We must have received a fair amount of income from the shirts? No income from season ticekts as yet?

Currycard

Post by Currycard » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:28 am

Not surprised to see Poku move on as I'm not sure Dowse gave him the week in week out starting spot that he wanted throughout the season so looks like he has a better offer elsewhere so good luck to him. I really liked Poku and I know he was a real fans favorite so I'm sad to see him move on but as they say when one door closes another door opens. On a positive note I'm looking forward to a different looking center midfield this season as I feel we looked a little bit one dimensional in the middle of the park at times last season. I would like to see us benefit from one stopper and one creater in the middle of the park as last season I felt all our central midfielders were stoppers but none had the ability to link the play up or pick out those crucial passes to open the play up and allow the attacking players to cause damage in the final third. But let's see what Dowse has up his sleeve as there's so many players available currently that moves are inevitable and sometimes fresh blood can do wonders for a team.

Stoo

Post by Stoo » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:33 am

I loved Godfrey's attitude to the game and he gave everything in every performance for us.
However, I have a feeling that our win ratio with him in the team as opposed to not in the team was quite low. Whether that's true or not I don't know, and whether it's relevant or not I don't know. Doyley, have you got those stats to hand?
Whatever he does I wish him well.

JGreenwood

Post by JGreenwood » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:33 pm

On Poku - sad to see him go but expected after his lack of game time and the situation with contracts.

Although we only typically do one-year deals, having players stuck on your books when you can't afford to pay them is much more dangerous than the approach we are taking. I see Dover have just made their whole squad available for free transfers.

https://nonleaguedaily.com/dover-athlet ... -transfer/