A Personal Statement from the Chairman

Nick

A Personal Statement from the Chairman

Post by Nick » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:59 pm

No doubt in the coming days much more will be said but, as Chairman, I wanted to give my immediate thoughts following tonight’s planning committee vote.

It is obviously very disappointing that tonight Woking Borough Council’s planning committee decided not to support this once in a lifetime opportunity to provide a new stadium for Surrey’s premier football club. The scheme offered exceptional, long term community benefit – a new stadium for our wonderful town and a huge provision of affordable housing for local people.

Our purpose has always been to provide a base for our football club to excel and, in so doing, to safeguard and grow our expansive work with the young and most vulnerable in Woking. This would have done that for generations to come. Knowing this it is therefore even more disappointing to me that, since April 2018 when we started this journey and invited engagement, our three local ward councillors have never once met as a group with club representatives to listen and better understand the club. We have found that bewildering as we have sought to make our case; no reason has been given. We feel that our supporters deserved better.

This has been in stark contrast to our engagement with local residents; whilst many have opposed the development, we have still met, discussed and engaged regularly and, as a result, got a fuller understanding of the issues. As a community club we have to work with all; our commitment is always to work for the good of the whole of Woking through pursuing elite football success that brings the town honour, identity and recognition. From that base we will fully support our local community organisations, sports clubs, Junior Citizen, campaigns and charities such as the Hospice, Halo, the York Road Project alongside many others.

Finally, and most importantly, I am so proud of the volunteer support and hard work from my board and all the fans who, for the past two years, have worked tirelessly to get the development over the line. In addition, many thousands of locals, plus hundreds from around the world, have written in unprecedented numbers to the Council to express their support for the club and this scheme.

I am so proud of our football community and their support for our club. All I can offer is my heartfelt thanks to all those who have put so much work in and I am so sorry that I have not achieved the outcome we had all hoped for.

COYC

- Rosemary Johnson
https://www.wokingfc.co.uk/news/article ... -chairman/

Baldman

Re: A Personal Statement from the Chairman

Post by Baldman » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:08 pm

Does this mean there will be no appeal or subsequent changes application?

KRE_Matt

Post by KRE_Matt » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:11 pm

Baldman wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:08 pm
Does this mean there will be no appeal or subsequent changes application?
I think after an 8-0 vote thumping, it's pretty likely this one's dead in the water.

wokingsteve

Post by wokingsteve » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:12 pm

Goldev wont be arsed now money making high rise housing is not wanted.

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:16 pm

So do we get a bottle bar now?
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

AndyT

Post by AndyT » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:21 pm

Kingfield Ender wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:16 pm
So do we get a bottle bar now?
No

AndyT

Post by AndyT » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:26 pm

I freely admit to having no knowledge of planning regulations, laws etc but from what I am told by people who work in the planning sector this application failed on some very basic planning regulations and policy and it seems the vote would seem to support that. A very bad night for WFC.

wokingcardinal

Post by wokingcardinal » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:43 pm

wokingsteve wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:12 pm
They are a business what else would you expect them to do?

wokingsteve

Post by wokingsteve » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:47 pm

wokingcardinal wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:43 pm
wokingsteve wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:12 pm
Build a development with average profit. High rise blocks out of town was a non starter.

Growler

Post by Growler » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:08 pm

AndyT wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:26 pm
I freely admit to having no knowledge of planning regulations, laws etc but from what I am told by people who work in the planning sector this application failed on some very basic planning regulations and policy and it seems the vote would seem to support that. A very bad night for WFC.
I think approval was hoped for - and allowable - despite the designations because the site could be sustainable. The councillors didn’t agree with the Officer, but that doesn’t mean he wasn’t right to suggest approval.
As yet uninvited to Plug’s WhatsApp group

wokingcardinal

Post by wokingcardinal » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:10 pm

wokingsteve wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:47 pm
wokingcardinal wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:43 pm

Build a development with average profit. High rise blocks out of town was a non starter.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing I guess, they rolled the dice and lost, sadly they will move onto the next project leaving us fans with what might have been.

Cardinals Rule

Post by Cardinals Rule » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:13 pm

Thank you for all your efforts Rosemary. You have nothing to apologise for and are a great credit and asset to the club.

We are now in a very difficult environment and can't even play football at the moment, but maybe when the dust settles it will be possible to find another way forward that will gain sufficient support.

Texas Dave

Post by Texas Dave » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:18 am

Yes Rosemary what Cardinal rules said.

LGScard

Post by LGScard » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:14 am

A sad night. We must hold local Cllrs Hughes, Morales and Forster to account for their shameful lack of engagement with the club throughout the process.

kansasCard

Post by kansasCard » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:43 am

well shit.
This space intentionally left blank

neverlostatwembley3

Post by neverlostatwembley3 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:15 am

The general impression was that the Councillors appreciate we need a new stadium but they don't want the housing. So my question is, why don't the Council just fund a new stadium build for the benefit of the community?

cardtrick

Post by cardtrick » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:22 am

Beyond the plan the shocking statements were talk of ghettoization of Kingfield and 1 local councillor talking of affordable 1 bedroom flats turning it into a slum.

Shocking from a Lib Dem; local housing IS A CRISIS and will not be resolved by bungalows and cul de sacs!! What chance on earth do our young people have with attitudes like that - I never thought of Woking as particularly Surrey or Nimby - but scratch the surface and it is - and football is just for the little people

And all this talk of 'village location' is pathetic - makes Kingfield sound like Shere!

LGScard

Post by LGScard » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:31 pm

Let us not forget Morales using package delivery figures during the last 3 months, when the country has been in lockdown. I think the proposals were probably rightfully rejected having listened in, but this was still a stitch up from certain local political figures.

cardinalcannon

Post by cardinalcannon » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:43 pm

Whilst the news last night is of course disappointing, I was greatly boosted by Ms Morales' news on package deliveries; it means that the economy must be in rude health after all.

That or she was talking bullshit.
Like Rio, I offer nothing.

doylie

Post by doylie » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:55 pm

Apparently hot news just in from the Planet Morales states that EVERY occupant of the proposed flats would have had at least 6 parcels delivered a day, when you factor in the multiple single Mums all loaded up with THREE kids not being able to negotiate the lifts and stairs to the Medical Centre, she's saved us all from a GHETTO ARMAGEDDON.

Praise be to the Planet Morales.
Memories of the past, visions of the future.
https://twitter.com/cardinal_tales

LGScard

Post by LGScard » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:07 pm

Planet Morales, where support can be watered down due to it being formulated using templates, whilst what’s that on the SWAG website...a rejection letter template with a list of objections.

Must be rose-tinted specs from Amazon Prime 6 times a day. No wonder the roads are GRIDLOCKED

skippy

Post by skippy » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:30 pm

cardtrick wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:22 am
Beyond the plan the shocking statements were talk of ghettoization of Kingfield and 1 local councillor talking of affordable 1 bedroom flats turning it into a slum.

Shocking from a Lib Dem; local housing IS A CRISIS and will not be resolved by bungalows and cul de sacs!! What chance on earth do our young people have with attitudes like that - I never thought of Woking as particularly Surrey or Nimby - but scratch the surface and it is - and football is just for the little people

And all this talk of 'village location' is pathetic - makes Kingfield sound like Shere!
You've not read the Adopted Core Strategy have you.
One should point out that the ACS is supposed to have addressed the future housing issues and the WFC development is a bolt on after the consultation period.
There are two 'Town' centres, Woking and West Byfleet, everything else is a 'Village' centre. Old Woking, where I live, is a village as are Kingfield and Westfield. A village isn't defined by it's aesthetic appeal but by the nature of the community. There is one 5 storey, less than a dozen 4 storey and a similar amount of 3 storey blocks in the whole 3 wards, 95% of housing is 2 storey or less.

The proviso for allowing the 20+ storey buildings in Woking was that this would negate the reason for high rise outside of the two designated Town centres.

If you're worried about the housing crisis you'd be better off wondering about the densities and affordable provisions of some of the other local developments, particularly Parvis Road. The ACS without WFC meets the requirements for 1 & 2 bed properties. What Woking doesn't have enough of is 3+ bed family units, people that need those are currently in the 2 bed places that the housing department is at capacity with. The ACS doesn't meet the 3+ bed requirement and the WFC development does nothing to help with that.

I'm a cynic me and that may cloud my perception but the densities of developments certainly increase in the poorer wards whilst those in richer wards mostly seem to be below density. This is all compounded by the issues in Surrey, where development is pushed towards the poorer Boroughs. Guildford BC would rather persuade Surrey to push for more social housing in Woking than build their share of the requirement.

AndyT

Post by AndyT » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:49 pm

skippy wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:30 pm
cardtrick wrote:

One should point out that the ACS is supposed to have addressed the future housing issues and the WFC development is a bolt on after the consultation period.
There are two 'Town' centres, Woking and West Byfleet, everything else is a 'Village' centre. Old Woking, where I live, is a village as are Kingfield and Westfield. A village isn't defined by it's aesthetic appeal but by the nature of the community. There is one 5 storey, less than a dozen 4 storey and a similar amount of 3 storey blocks in the whole 3 wards, 95% of housing is 2 storey or less.

The proviso for allowing the 20+ storey buildings in Woking was that this would negate the reason for high rise outside of the two designated Town centres.

If you're worried about the housing crisis you'd be better off wondering about the densities and affordable provisions of some of the other local developments, particularly Parvis Road. The ACS without WFC meets the requirements for 1 & 2 bed properties. What Woking doesn't have enough of is 3+ bed family units, people that need those are currently in the 2 bed places that the housing department is at capacity with. The ACS doesn't meet the 3+ bed requirement and the WFC development does nothing to help with that.

I'm a cynic me and that may cloud my perception but the densities of developments certainly increase in the poorer wards whilst those in richer wards mostly seem to be below density. This is all compounded by the issues in Surrey, where development is pushed towards the poorer Boroughs. Guildford BC would rather persuade Surrey to push for more social housing in Woking than build their share of the requirement.
Surrey could mount a raid just over the border and hijack Aldershot and then Surrey would have all the social housing it needs and in one place............

doylie

Post by doylie » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:02 pm

Joking apart, WBC have already attempted that a few years ago.
Memories of the past, visions of the future.
https://twitter.com/cardinal_tales

cardtrick

Post by cardtrick » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:36 pm

skippy wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:30 pm
cardtrick wrote:

>>>>>>>>>>>>I'm a pragmatist - Egley road was new build in the 1950's and Westfield Avenue I suspect was similar - suburban bungalows on a residential street. Guildford had a North Street livestock market into, I believe the 1970's. They can throw about village words but last night that was just for effect. This is 20 minute walk from a major town centre just 30 minutes from Westminster. We are 50 years on.

The reality is towns are growing and decisions need to be made to protect the Greenbelt. 30 years ago the club was refused planning on Egley Road and now it is home to a major school and sports complex.

Don't get me started on housing ! To have words like ghettoization and 1 bed affordable flats referred to as slums is unbelieveable - Surrey at its very worst

The development had genuine issues that needed grappling with but if the will and imagination to find a way was reflected by those who voted last night the club is dead and our young people can give up ever wanting a purchased home

This was only proposed because of the club and to be honest if in West Surrey, one of the most prosperous parts of the country, Kingfield Village is seen as poor then we have no way forward. How poor is Willow Reach?