Wycombe v Woking Oct 73

solihull card

Wycombe v Woking Oct 73

Post by solihull card » Tue May 19, 2020 2:39 pm

One for The Oldies amongst us.

A Wycombe fan friend sent me this report awhile ago....

Having lost 3-2 at Wycombe in the league on the Tuesday the Cards were up against them again on the Saturday, this time in the FA Cup. We lost 1-0 but the Woking keeper Dave Collyer was carried off the pitch by the Wycombe fans due to his heroics in goal.

Does anyone remember or was actually at this match ? Or the league encounter the previous Tues ?

I don't recall Dave's name being mentioned in any Woking greats lists.

How long did he play for the Cards ? Any stats ?

https://a279d49c-aa70-4023-a92e-5f361be ... 6eb8c9.pdf

Thanks.

Insider

Re: Wycombe v Woking Oct 73

Post by Insider » Tue May 19, 2020 3:20 pm

Outstanding very athletic keeper. Think he went onto Walton and Hersham after

Lurker

Post by Lurker » Tue May 19, 2020 3:48 pm

solihull card wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:39 pm

Having lost 3-2 at Wycombe in the league on the Tuesday the Cards were up against them again on the Saturday, this time in the FA Cup. We lost 1-0 but the Woking keeper Dave Collyer was carried off the pitch by the Wycombe fans due to his heroics in goal.

Does anyone remember or was actually at this match ? Or the league encounter the previous Tues ?

Thanks.
Yes, still one of my favourite-ever Woking matches, though I'm pretty sure the above details are incorrect. They'd been unbeaten at home for about eighteen months, but we went there on a Tuesday night and won 2-1, with Collyer having a sensational game that included a penalty save. At the end of the game, the Wycombe fans picked him up and chaired him off while singing "Sign on David, sign on son, sign on David, we need another one" (to the tune of 'Nice One Cyril', of course) all the way to the tunnel. A bit embarrassing for John Maskell at the other end, who was the England Amateur team's goalkeeper.

Collyer was by far the best goalkeeper I've ever seen at Woking, but he was a schoolteacher and didn't seem to have any interest in turning pro. He left us for Hayes, who were offering him stupid money.

Lurker

Post by Lurker » Tue May 19, 2020 4:14 pm

Sorry, only just noticed the clipping you posted. The game I'm referring to was the previous season, November 1972. After that, the Wycombe fans always made a fuss of him, including the following season - but it all dates back to that evening in 1972.

By the way, I like that reporter's reference to Collyer always reserving his best games for when he played against Wycombe - which reminds me of all those opposition fans who said "he'll never hit another free kick like that again" when Gez Sole scored against them. Collyer reached those heights most weeks, he was just unfortunate to play in front of a poor defence.

Insider

Post by Insider » Tue May 19, 2020 4:34 pm

Lurker wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:48 pm
solihull card wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:39 pm

Thanks.
Yes, still one of my favourite-ever Woking matches, though I'm pretty sure the above details are incorrect. They'd been unbeaten at home for about eighteen months, but we went there on a Tuesday night and won 2-1, with Collyer having a sensational game that included a penalty save. At the end of the game, the Wycombe fans picked him up and chaired him off while singing "Sign on David, sign on son, sign on David, we need another one" (to the tune of 'Nice One Cyril', of course) all the way to the tunnel. A bit embarrassing for John Maskell at the other end, who was the England Amateur team's goalkeeper.

Collyer was by far the best goalkeeper I've ever seen at Woking, but he was a schoolteacher and didn't seem to have any interest in turning pro. He left us for Hayes, who were offering him stupid money.
I remember the school teacher bit now...like you he was just top draw. Not sure but was he left footed ?

doylie

Post by doylie » Tue May 19, 2020 5:40 pm

Well before my time, but it was the match that Lurker mentions above was the one that turned him into a bit of a cult figure at Wycombe. A friend of mine (Pats Dad) Tom often talked about that game at Wycombe, saying that it was the best goalkeeping performance he’d ever seen and was his favourite Woking keeper of all time. He had over 300 appearances (including friendlies) for the Cards and went on to be a legend at our friends Sutton United.

He can be seen here standing far right in a 1972 side, with Geoff Chapple in the front row.

Memories of the past, visions of the future.
https://twitter.com/cardinal_tales

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Tue May 19, 2020 10:25 pm

He was a class act played for a number of clubs, Sutton, Kingston, Walton, Carshalron etc

Had a very interesting habit of repeatedly clearing mud from his studs and tapping the post hard with the soul of his boot then starting the process again.

One of the best Keepers I’ve seen

Insider

Post by Insider » Tue May 19, 2020 10:28 pm

Adrian wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:25 pm
He was a class act played for a number of clubs, Sutton, Kingston, Walton, Carshalron etc

Had a very interesting habit of repeatedly clearing mud from his studs and tapping the post hard with the soul of his boot then starting the process again.

One of the best Keepers I’ve seen
The post thing youre right

Bobbo

Post by Bobbo » Wed May 20, 2020 3:05 pm

doylie wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:40 pm
Well before my time, but it was the match that Lurker mentions above was the one that turned him into a bit of a cult figure at Wycombe. A friend of mine (Pats Dad) Tom often talked about that game at Wycombe, saying that it was the best goalkeeping performance he’d ever seen and was his favourite Woking keeper of all time. He had over 300 appearances (including friendlies) for the Cards and went on to be a legend at our friends Sutton United.

He can be seen here standing far right in a 1972 side, with Geoff Chapple in the front row.

BFGeoff wasn’t “THAT” B&F at all!
80)

Quod non necat emunit.

doylie

Post by doylie » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:58 am

I found the programme for this game lurking in my collection today.

doylie

Post by doylie » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:28 am

And here’s the match preview, the League table makes interesting reading.