Wycombe v Woking Oct 73

solihull card
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:32 pm

Wycombe v Woking Oct 73

Post by solihull card » Tue May 19, 2020 2:39 pm

One for The Oldies amongst us.

A Wycombe fan friend sent me this report awhile ago....

Having lost 3-2 at Wycombe in the league on the Tuesday the Cards were up against them again on the Saturday, this time in the FA Cup. We lost 1-0 but the Woking keeper Dave Collyer was carried off the pitch by the Wycombe fans due to his heroics in goal.

Does anyone remember or was actually at this match ? Or the league encounter the previous Tues ?

I don't recall Dave's name being mentioned in any Woking greats lists.

How long did he play for the Cards ? Any stats ?

https://a279d49c-aa70-4023-a92e-5f361be ... 6eb8c9.pdf

Thanks.

Insider
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:02 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Wycombe v Woking Oct 73

Post by Insider » Tue May 19, 2020 3:20 pm

Outstanding very athletic keeper. Think he went onto Walton and Hersham after

Lurker
Posts: 917
Joined: Mon May 08, 2017 9:04 am
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Wycombe v Woking Oct 73

Post by Lurker » Tue May 19, 2020 3:48 pm

solihull card wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:39 pm
One for The Oldies amongst us.

A Wycombe fan friend sent me this report awhile ago....

Having lost 3-2 at Wycombe in the league on the Tuesday the Cards were up against them again on the Saturday, this time in the FA Cup. We lost 1-0 but the Woking keeper Dave Collyer was carried off the pitch by the Wycombe fans due to his heroics in goal.

Does anyone remember or was actually at this match ? Or the league encounter the previous Tues ?

I don't recall Dave's name being mentioned in any Woking greats lists.

How long did he play for the Cards ? Any stats ?

https://a279d49c-aa70-4023-a92e-5f361be ... 6eb8c9.pdf

Thanks.
Yes, still one of my favourite-ever Woking matches, though I'm pretty sure the above details are incorrect. They'd been unbeaten at home for about eighteen months, but we went there on a Tuesday night and won 2-1, with Collyer having a sensational game that included a penalty save. At the end of the game, the Wycombe fans picked him up and chaired him off while singing "Sign on David, sign on son, sign on David, we need another one" (to the tune of 'Nice One Cyril', of course) all the way to the tunnel. A bit embarrassing for John Maskell at the other end, who was the England Amateur team's goalkeeper.

Collyer was by far the best goalkeeper I've ever seen at Woking, but he was a schoolteacher and didn't seem to have any interest in turning pro. He left us for Hayes, who were offering him stupid money.

Lurker
Posts: 917
Joined: Mon May 08, 2017 9:04 am
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Wycombe v Woking Oct 73

Post by Lurker » Tue May 19, 2020 4:14 pm

Sorry, only just noticed the clipping you posted. The game I'm referring to was the previous season, November 1972. After that, the Wycombe fans always made a fuss of him, including the following season - but it all dates back to that evening in 1972.

By the way, I like that reporter's reference to Collyer always reserving his best games for when he played against Wycombe - which reminds me of all those opposition fans who said "he'll never hit another free kick like that again" when Gez Sole scored against them. Collyer reached those heights most weeks, he was just unfortunate to play in front of a poor defence.

Insider
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:02 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Wycombe v Woking Oct 73

Post by Insider » Tue May 19, 2020 4:34 pm

Lurker wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:48 pm
solihull card wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:39 pm
One for The Oldies amongst us.

A Wycombe fan friend sent me this report awhile ago....

Having lost 3-2 at Wycombe in the league on the Tuesday the Cards were up against them again on the Saturday, this time in the FA Cup. We lost 1-0 but the Woking keeper Dave Collyer was carried off the pitch by the Wycombe fans due to his heroics in goal.

Does anyone remember or was actually at this match ? Or the league encounter the previous Tues ?

I don't recall Dave's name being mentioned in any Woking greats lists.

How long did he play for the Cards ? Any stats ?

https://a279d49c-aa70-4023-a92e-5f361be ... 6eb8c9.pdf

Thanks.
Yes, still one of my favourite-ever Woking matches, though I'm pretty sure the above details are incorrect. They'd been unbeaten at home for about eighteen months, but we went there on a Tuesday night and won 2-1, with Collyer having a sensational game that included a penalty save. At the end of the game, the Wycombe fans picked him up and chaired him off while singing "Sign on David, sign on son, sign on David, we need another one" (to the tune of 'Nice One Cyril', of course) all the way to the tunnel. A bit embarrassing for John Maskell at the other end, who was the England Amateur team's goalkeeper.

Collyer was by far the best goalkeeper I've ever seen at Woking, but he was a schoolteacher and didn't seem to have any interest in turning pro. He left us for Hayes, who were offering him stupid money.
I remember the school teacher bit now...like you he was just top draw. Not sure but was he left footed ?

doylie
Posts: 1387
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:41 pm
Location: @cardinal_tales
Has thanked: 225 times
Been thanked: 314 times
Contact:

Re: Wycombe v Woking Oct 73

Post by doylie » Tue May 19, 2020 5:40 pm

Well before my time, but it was the match that Lurker mentions above was the one that turned him into a bit of a cult figure at Wycombe. A friend of mine (Pats Dad) Tom often talked about that game at Wycombe, saying that it was the best goalkeeping performance he’d ever seen and was his favourite Woking keeper of all time. He had over 300 appearances (including friendlies) for the Cards and went on to be a legend at our friends Sutton United.

He can be seen here standing far right in a 1972 side, with Geoff Chapple in the front row.

Image
Memories of the past, visions of the future.
https://twitter.com/cardinal_tales

Adrian
Posts: 1678
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:07 pm
Has thanked: 686 times
Been thanked: 83 times

Re: Wycombe v Woking Oct 73

Post by Adrian » Tue May 19, 2020 10:25 pm

He was a class act played for a number of clubs, Sutton, Kingston, Walton, Carshalron etc

Had a very interesting habit of repeatedly clearing mud from his studs and tapping the post hard with the soul of his boot then starting the process again.

One of the best Keepers I’ve seen

Insider
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:02 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Wycombe v Woking Oct 73

Post by Insider » Tue May 19, 2020 10:28 pm

Adrian wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:25 pm
He was a class act played for a number of clubs, Sutton, Kingston, Walton, Carshalron etc

Had a very interesting habit of repeatedly clearing mud from his studs and tapping the post hard with the soul of his boot then starting the process again.

One of the best Keepers I’ve seen
The post thing youre right

Bobbo
Posts: 1224
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:00 pm
Location: Rome "Caput Mundi", somewhere in Italy ;)
Has thanked: 223 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: Wycombe v Woking Oct 73

Post by Bobbo » Wed May 20, 2020 3:05 pm

doylie wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:40 pm
Well before my time, but it was the match that Lurker mentions above was the one that turned him into a bit of a cult figure at Wycombe. A friend of mine (Pats Dad) Tom often talked about that game at Wycombe, saying that it was the best goalkeeping performance he’d ever seen and was his favourite Woking keeper of all time. He had over 300 appearances (including friendlies) for the Cards and went on to be a legend at our friends Sutton United.

He can be seen here standing far right in a 1972 side, with Geoff Chapple in the front row.

Image
BFGeoff wasn’t “THAT” B&F at all!
80)

Quod non necat emunit.

doylie
Posts: 1387
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:41 pm
Location: @cardinal_tales
Has thanked: 225 times
Been thanked: 314 times
Contact:

Re: Wycombe v Woking Oct 73

Post by doylie » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:58 am

I found the programme for this game lurking in my collection today.

Image
Memories of the past, visions of the future.
https://twitter.com/cardinal_tales

doylie
Posts: 1387
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:41 pm
Location: @cardinal_tales
Has thanked: 225 times
Been thanked: 314 times
Contact:

Re: Wycombe v Woking Oct 73

Post by doylie » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:28 am

And here’s the match preview, the League table makes interesting reading.

Image
Memories of the past, visions of the future.
https://twitter.com/cardinal_tales


Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Chobham Card, Twods, wokingsteve and 29 guests

Cardboard

Cardsboard.co.uk is not an official message board of Woking Football Club or The Cards Trust, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Please be warned that some posts will contain swear words.

Vanarama National League Club Forums: Aldershot Town | Barnet | Barrow | Bromley | Chesterfield | Chorley | Dagenham & Redbridge | Dover Athletic | Eastleigh | Ebbsfleet United | FC Halifax Town | Harrogate Town | Hartlepool United | Maidenhead United | Notts County | Solihull Moors | Stockport County | Sutton United | Torquay United | Wrexham

Unofficial League Forums: The Conference Forum

Other Links: Cards Trust - Boost the Budget | wokingfc.co.uk | Surrey Advertiser | Woking News and Mail | Woking FC Official Photo Gallery | BBC Sport - Woking | BBC Football Commentaries