Shelton signs from Salford

Byfleet Village Card

Re: Shelton signs from Salford

Post by Byfleet Village Card » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:04 pm

If Shelton is a central midfielder, where will he slot in? Edser out perhaps?

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:17 pm

Internet suggests he's a right-sided midfielder, which could presumably free up Tarpey for a central role if he's playing out there.

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:46 pm

Why did we sign Jake Gray?
This year's Wassmer?
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

jonwoozley

Post by jonwoozley » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:01 pm

Chobham Card wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:17 pm
Internet suggests he's a right-sided midfielder, which could presumably free up Tarpey for a central role if he's playing out there.
Anything that stops Cook having to try and be a wing-back is good. He can stay back where he is much better.
Dual meditates,
Non habetis argentum.

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:07 pm

Kingfield Ender wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:46 pm
This year's Wassmer?
Makes no sense does it. How can a player take that long to get “match fit”.

Also - Tiehi hasn’t been seen since Bromley.

Card Sharp

Post by Card Sharp » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:21 pm

Kingfield Ender wrote:
This year's Wassmer?
Or is that Felix? Or is that Tiehi? Or is that Tee-hee....

Maybe Dowse can be asked that question on next weeks catch up?

Welcome Mark, hope you play well.

DavetheBountyHunter

Post by DavetheBountyHunter » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:24 pm

Kingfield Ender wrote:
This year's Wassmer?
Does it matter if it isn’t costing us much? I’d be amazed if we’ve sent him out on loan, whilst paying all of his wages.
Scorer of possibly the greatest goal in the history of the Woking FC Supporters' team

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:31 pm

DavetheBountyHunter wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:24 pm
Kingfield Ender wrote:
This year's Wassmer?
Does it matter if it isn’t costing us much? I’d be amazed if we’ve sent him out on loan, whilst paying all of his wages.

This. It's never been a criticism I've understood. I trust Dowse to identify players to make us better, and when he finds some who could make us better but can't right now, he can a) bleed valuable minutes from better players and make us worse as we bring them up to speed, or b) register them elsewhere to get more football.

Wassmer only cost us a couple of hundred quid for the entire time he was at the club according to one of last season's catchups. Felix was brought in on non-contract, never played a game, and has now gone. Gray and Tiehi have an opportunity to improve or to leave, depending on how they do. It just looks like cost-effective squad management to me.

DavetheBountyHunter

Post by DavetheBountyHunter » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:50 pm

Chobham Card wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:31 pm
DavetheBountyHunter wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:24 pm

This. It's never been a criticism I've understood. I trust Dowse to identify players to make us better, and when he finds some who could make us better but can't right now, he can a) bleed valuable minutes from better players and make us worse as we bring them up to speed, or b) register them elsewhere to get more football.

Wassmer only cost us a couple of hundred quid for the entire time he was at the club according to one of last season's catchups. Felix was brought in on non-contract, never played a game, and has now gone. Gray and Tiehi have an opportunity to improve or to leave, depending on how they do. It just looks like cost-effective squad management to me.
Agreed. I think KE’s gone a bit Stu here. It’d be great to have everyone on a contract for the whole season, signed up in July each season - but we don’t have the pull or the finances to do that. Dowse has to take some risks and AFAIK he does it in as cost-effective way as any Woking manager in recent memory. This isn’t Limbrick dishing out two year deals to players because he didn’t have a clue and relied on a teenager with three football agents’ phone numbers in his mobile, to make recommendations.
Scorer of possibly the greatest goal in the history of the Woking FC Supporters' team

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:48 pm

How would Wassmer only have cost a couple of hundred quid? Were we not paying him while he wasn’t out on loan? I doubt Leatherhead would have paid his entire wages either.

MADNORM

Post by MADNORM » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:23 pm

Right old merry go round.
Do the squad know each others named?

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:39 pm

Red and White Army wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:48 pm
How would Wassmer only have cost a couple of hundred quid? Were we not paying him while he wasn’t out on loan? I doubt Leatherhead would have paid his entire wages either.
I don't understand the ins and outs, but I distinctly remember Dowse talking about it late last year in a catch-up.

darreng

Post by darreng » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:59 am

Chobham Card wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:39 pm
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:48 pm
I don't understand the ins and outs, but I distinctly remember Dowse talking about it late last year in a catch-up.
We sold him to Billericay for a fee.

Card Sharp

Post by Card Sharp » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:46 am

darreng wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:59 am
Chobham Card wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:39 pm

We sold him to Billericay for a fee.
We will never know the specifics, but you would hardly expect any manager to say we lost a small fortune on him. Whatever the cost, the time invested should be more worrying. Anyway, Dowse's positives outweigh the negatives.

KT15 Card

Post by KT15 Card » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:54 am

A Salford fan tells me he plays in the centre, so no idea who's making way. Good player though apparently.

WFC96

Post by WFC96 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:11 am

Happens at every club no matter what league they’re in. Don’t see it as being an issue, I trust Dowse. You need to take risks, get things wrong in order to get things right.

As for the revolving door and players not knowing each other remarks, grow up. The personnel in the starting line up and the bench are virtually the same as the first game of the season. It’s only the odd couple of squad players and they are now out on loan.

David1

Post by David1 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:39 am

Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:07 pm
Kingfield Ender wrote:
This year's Wassmer?
Also - Tiehi hasn’t been seen since Bromley.
https://www.wokingfc.co.uk/tv/v/1292/2/ 21.44 in

Tim

Post by Tim » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:17 pm

Toby Edser extends loan by another month