Dave Tarpey signs a new deal

Nonsense Potter

Re: Dave Tarpey signs a new deal

Post by Nonsense Potter » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:04 am

I’m annoyed that I forgot him in my post yesterday. Class player. Good news.
Scorer of possibly the greatest goal in the history of the Woking FC Supporters' team

Insider

Post by Insider » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:12 am

Excellent news.....

Cardbourne

Post by Cardbourne » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:20 am

Great news. Tarpey and Jarvis are arguably the 2 most talented players from last season...

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:30 am

Splendid

GlenH

Post by GlenH » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:36 am

I'm happy to admit that I was on the fence about him staying but, now that he has, I find myself very pleased actually. To build a core of experienced, quality players with Tarpey, Jarvis and Casey of course already on board is a great start, and it will hopefully make it a more appealing prospect for other potential additions too down the line.

bobr666

Post by bobr666 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:57 am

Great - really enjoyed him last season and he never gave less than 100%.

Reading Card

Post by Reading Card » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:00 am

Amazing , well done wfc

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:16 am

About as good of a part time player as you can get in the National League - happy with that.

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:19 pm

And another example of a top quality part time player
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:35 pm

Red and White Army wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:16 am
About as good of a part time player as you can get in the National League - happy with that.
Kingfield Ender wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:19 pm
And another example of a top quality part time player
Absolutely agree with this. We wouldn't have Jarvis, Tarpey or Casey if we were full time. Top work from the management team, really positive that some of our best from a season of overachievement want to stay. Welcome back.

Since85

Post by Since85 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:33 pm

Very pleased, never gives less than 100% effort and application

fatmaninthekitchen

Post by fatmaninthekitchen » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:08 pm

could we not use him as a Jamie Vardy type player - living on the shoulder etc he works bloody hard, is a natural goalscorer if played in his favourate position - which I presume is where Vardy plays? how can anyone score over 40 plus goals in a season from anywhere else?
Did anyone see where he played when he scored the buckets he did?
Just think he is wasted on the wing
We actually should be playing 5 at the back in reality - we have a a left footed centre back in Diarra and right footed one in Cook, and the stopper as Ben G, with our Capt in the left wing back slot. We just need and attacking right back al la Caprice and we are done .Right and left wing backs don't have to be as solid defensively with 3 decent centre backs - and don't forget Diarra and Cook are more than capable of bringing the ball fwd when needed. Caprice couldn't defend very well, but in the right system, he shouldn't have to be foot perfect with 3 centre backs sticking to their job as the gain is with the attacking threat . Thing is Dowse doesn't seem to like 5 at the back , and whislt Cook is a fine right back , him, Gerring and Diarra will get caught out due to their lack of mobility playing in a back 4

GlenH

Post by GlenH » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:12 pm

fatmaninthekitchen wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:08 pm
could we not use him as a Jamie Vardy type player - living on the shoulder etc he works bloody hard, is a natural goalscorer if played in his favourate position - which I presume is where Vardy plays? how can anyone score over 40 plus goals in a season from anywhere else?
We actually should be playing 5 at the back in reality - we have a a left footed centre back in Diarra and right footed one in Cook, and the stopper as Ben G, with our Capt in the left wing back slot. We just need and attacking right back al la Caprice and we are done .Right and left wing backs don't have to be as solid defensively with 3 decent centre backs - and don't forget Diarra and Cook are more than capable of bringing the ball fwd when needed. Caprice couldn't defend very well, but in the right system, he shouldn't have to be foot perfect with 3 centre backs sticking to their job as the gain is with the attacking threat . Thing is Dowse doesn't seem to like 5 at the back , and whislt Cook is a fine right back , him, Gerring and Diarra will get caught out due to their lack of mobility playing in a back 4
I don't think there's much chance of us going to a back 5 regularly when we've got Jarvis signed up - it will probably be 4-3-3 again with Tarpey and Jarvis wide of a central striker. I do agree though, I'd be intrigued to see Tarpey in a more central role, either in a 4-2-3-1 or, dare I say it, a 4-4-2, either behind or working off a target man. If Jarvis is able to play regularly then we shouldn't be short of quality balls into the box.

Nonsense Potter

Post by Nonsense Potter » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:15 pm

Just what we need, a formation that doesn’t play to the strengths of the ex-England international we’ve just signed, who scored one and made two in an hour of football last season.

Are you Kim Grant?
Scorer of possibly the greatest goal in the history of the Woking FC Supporters' team

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:26 pm

Thing is Dowse doesn't seem to like 5 at the back
Eh? We started the season with five at the back and tore the league up for a month, even when we didn't actually play three centre backs. I absolutely remember a few games with 5'7 Josh Casey at LCB, with Tyreke as a wing back in front of him.

Mr Jones

Post by Mr Jones » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:31 pm

Tarps was one of the key players to get signed up so I'm delighted. He's a class act at NL level and would have been a hard one to replace.

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:11 pm

Chobham Card wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:26 pm
Thing is Dowse doesn't seem to like 5 at the back
Eh? We started the season with five at the back and tore the league up for a month, even when we didn't actually play three centre backs. I absolutely remember a few games with 5'7 Josh Casey at LCB, with Tyreke as a wing back in front of him.
I quite like 3-5-2... the only problem with it was that we had Cook playing RWB which didnt really suit him.

We also did very well at the start of 14/15 playing 3-5-2 (Theo Lewis -- McNerney -- Ricketts -- Clarke -- Arthur, or similar) which allowed us to play Rendell, Morgan and Sole in the same team.

The issue is you need a fair few CBs in the squad in case of injury (which we did actually have last season).

I'd be surprised if we played anything except 4-3-3 next season though.

Bertie

Post by Bertie » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:52 pm

When he was knocking goals in for fun for Maidenhead he played out wide rather than through the middle.

A combination of Jarvis and Tarpey are going to cause defenders all sorts of headaches as they're both players who will be able to pop up anywhere on the pitch, and will also drag defenders with them creating gaps for midfielders for go through.

I suspect that with Tarpey re-signing, that means that Hydey is most probably not going to re-sign as we really struggled with both of them not being able to play on 4G

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:57 pm

H&W are laying a plastic pitch, so if they win the playoffs that is yet another one of these monstrosities we’ll be playing on!!!

kansasCard

Post by kansasCard » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:03 pm

another good resigning.... Like very much.
This space intentionally left blank

Stjohn

Post by Stjohn » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:08 pm

Cracking signing class player

Ian B

Post by Ian B » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:58 am

Welcome back, Tarps.

wokingsteve

Post by wokingsteve » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:30 pm

Dowse please dont play Tarps as a winger.

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:35 am

you worried he will destroy Kinsella?
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one