Woking fans – support our new stadium regeneration

Nick

Woking fans – support our new stadium regeneration

Post by Nick » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:55 am

We would ask all who support the new Woking Community Stadium regeneration to take a minute to show their support by signing here - www.whynotwoking.com

This is open to anyone, so if you know people who are supportive and may not see this please let them now how they can respond.

It is important that in the coming weeks we demonstrate what the future sustainability of the club means to us but also the town of Woking.

Note if for any reason you are currently overseas please enter your location rather than postcode.

Stjohn

Re: Woking fans – support our new stadium regeneration

Post by Stjohn » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:20 pm

Done ✅

Ian B

Post by Ian B » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:50 pm

Unfortunately recent results will lead many to conclude that we don't need a 9,000 capacity stadium.

wokingbob

Post by wokingbob » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:05 pm

Done.

We should be seeing pages of 'done's on here. Come on people !!
Optimism IS my middle name. Trust in Dowse.

DavetheBountyHunter

Post by DavetheBountyHunter » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:21 pm

Done
Scorer of possibly the greatest goal in the history of the Woking FC Supporters' team

kansasCard

Post by kansasCard » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:20 pm

did...
This space intentionally left blank

Bobbo

Post by Bobbo » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:21 pm

Done ✅

A light, soft support, but I did my part.
80)

Quod non necat emunit.

wokingsteve

Post by wokingsteve » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:17 pm

Done.

Argonia

Post by Argonia » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:26 pm

Signed.

Adz

Post by Adz » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:50 pm

Done!

(and the card too)

rocknut

Post by rocknut » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:23 pm

Done

Bobbo

Post by Bobbo » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:59 am

Is there any rendeering of the NEW stadium anywhere?
I saw some pictures, but...

Thanks.
80)

Quod non necat emunit.

Kanu's Nan

Post by Kanu's Nan » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:41 pm

Can someone help me out here?

I've just seen more SWAG activity on my Twitter, I clicked through to the council link and there's six comments in favour of the development with a couple of hundred against.

What is signing this doing in that sense? Are we collating everything and it goes in as one, separate? Not a complaint, I just don't understand.
self appointed protector of the downtrodden

rosemaryj

Post by rosemaryj » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:07 pm

There is method in the way fans are responding directly through the website and also through the postcards support and how it will be submitted to the council. Every individual indication of support will count. Anyone can also sign the council link. I just ask fans to continue signing up. Many thanks for all your help so far.

Since85

Post by Since85 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:00 pm

Done

Noaksey

Post by Noaksey » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:44 pm

According to this thread there does not seem much support for this development whereas the action group seems to be well organised and have made some valid objections.

I for one have a mixed view of this delvopment. Altough, l agree that for the fooball club to move forward and progress to the football league a bigger and modern stadium is required, but not to the detriment of the local area of Kingfield, Westfield and Old Woking. Arguably, the capacity of the ground does not need to exceed 5k and no residential dwellings should exceed the existing height of the new buildings that have recently been built along Westfield Avenue (i.e 4 storeys).

Also the added vehicular traffic along the A247 Kingfield Road will bring the area to a standstill as it did when the work roads were at the Wych Hill roundabout last November. I was told by a representative of WFC at the presentation in Woking Town Centre that by relocating the David Lloyd Health Club to Edgeley Road this will compensate for the increase in residentail footfall for the development which is an asolutely ludicrous agrument. I do not believe that David Lloyd has any where need 1100 members, let alone this amount of people will be at the Health Centre at any one time.

This development needs and must be scaled back considerably to insure that Kingfield and the surrounding areas do not become a small version of the Woking Town Centre redevlopment.

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:59 pm

Like every other thread on here, don’t believe everything you read. There is plenty of support and many people have contacted the council with support via other means.

Reading Card

Post by Reading Card » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:36 pm

There may not be support on this specific thread but in general I would think that most woking fans (90 + %) would support this with the exception of potentially those who live in the immediate area. Its a big opportunity for the club who has been struggling to make ends meet for years. There is no plan B.
capacity of the ground does not need to exceed 5k
Why would you build a smaller one ? We need to aim high , aim for the league.
I do not believe that David Lloyd has any where need 1100 members, let alone this amount of people will be at the Health Centre at any one time.

The DL of that size probably has about 3000 + members. You ref 1100 which could be the footfall alone of one day in January ! You could you also add the footfall of the gymnasium which must exceed 400/ 500 per day. Some parents will drop there kids off and pick them up an hour later which would result in two journeys.

I do get there argument of the height of the buildings and appreciate if you live locally I would also be bothered by this.

From the clubs perspective the designs looks great , the leaflet handed out on the last home match was excellent and the marketing around this ( like todays FB sponsored one are on point) . You get the normal shouty objections but in general there is support and us fans need to do our part and spread the positive aspects of the redevelopment.

If you haven't done it yet , please do you bit www.whynotwoking.com and also add your support on the planning app.

Nico

Post by Nico » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:40 pm

Noaksey wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:44 pm
According to this thread there does not seem much support for this development whereas the action group seems to be well organised and have made some valid objections.

I for one have a mixed view of this delvopment. Altough, l agree that for the fooball club to move forward and progress to the football league a bigger and modern stadium is required, but not to the detriment of the local area of Kingfield, Westfield and Old Woking. Arguably, the capacity of the ground does not need to exceed 5k and no residential dwellings should exceed the existing height of the new buildings that have recently been built along Westfield Avenue (i.e 4 storeys).

Also the added vehicular traffic along the A247 Kingfield Road will bring the area to a standstill as it did when the work roads were at the Wych Hill roundabout last November. I was told by a representative of WFC at the presentation in Woking Town Centre that by relocating the David Lloyd Health Club to Edgeley Road this will compensate for the increase in residentail footfall for the development which is an asolutely ludicrous agrument. I do not believe that David Lloyd has any where need 1100 members, let alone this amount of people will be at the Health Centre at any one time.

This development needs and must be scaled back considerably to insure that Kingfield and the surrounding areas do not become a small version of the Woking Town Centre redevlopment.
As others have said the postcards and web sign ups are all being collated and will be submitted - get the word out as widely as possible. It is going well but the word needs to be got out - every sign up will make a difference

I would say the plans are to get a stadium to progress to the football league but increasingly it is obvious that it needs to happen to even aim to stand still - it is also about sustainability and, in effect, survival. The repair costs in the next few years are scary. The current ground has been there 100 years and the new one needs to aim to be there for at least as long; there is no second go at this. To say the capacity should be just 5000 is ridiculous IMO and it has been clearly stated that reducing the capacity doesn't actually save much in terms of overall cost. The plans of 9000 have considerable standing which, if they had to change in the next century to seating would bring the capacity down anyway.

In terms of traffic you quote a one off issue with roadworks at a very exceptional time for an area less than a mile from a major town centre; I live in central Guildford now and believe me in all my travels to the club at all hours travel is not IMO a huge problem. The traffic surveys have been done officially and at all hours and the overall plans have been audited by independent planners and architects and positively approved. The statement that the gym club, David Lloyd and snooker club virtually equals new traffic can be verified by the official reports and I was there when this was presented to the Council.

There is a lot more could be said but I would simply say I appreciate some of the issues raised but I have spoken to quite a few very local residents who are very comfortable/ even excited with what has been presented and it also brings a huge amount of community benefit to an ambitious and growing town. The club has been there for 100 years and this is a self contained development which brings medical benefits, retail benefits, education benefits, green benefits, affordable housing benefits, community work benefits and a stadium which will be set up for a sustainable club for the future; not sure what the alternative for the club would be in the long term

Not wanting to get into an extended dialogue but putting the other side

Kanu's Nan

Post by Kanu's Nan » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:04 pm

It's needed though Nico and fair play to you for doing so. There's a pretty significant anti-WFC campaign under the guise of being anti-development, so the more facts the better.
self appointed protector of the downtrodden

Nico

Post by Nico » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:24 pm

Kanu's Nan wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:04 pm
It's needed though Nico and fair play to you for doing so. There's a pretty significant anti-WFC campaign under the guise of being anti-development, so the more facts the better.
I agree - those who look on various social media sites will see, in some places, a pretty anti Woking FC approach despite public pronouncements. It is about sober facts and reality rather than misrepresentation while realising there are valid issues to raise; however this has been an eyeopener for me.

Reading Card

Post by Reading Card » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:07 pm

Us supporters need to get involved more.

We need to counter the anti woking fc and negative SWAG especially on social media. There are a lot of incorrect facts and rubbish being posted so we need to do our bit and politely correct them !

Give the 'woking community stadium' page a like on facebook https://www.facebook.com/WokingCommunityStadium/, follow https://twitter.com/Woking_Stadium and show your support.

Lets all do our bit

Ian B

Post by Ian B » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:11 pm

The SWAG Facebook site now contains a link to the BBC article about a financial scandal at Northampton Town.
I hope they are not trying to smear Woking.

Viking Card

Post by Viking Card » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:46 pm

In my opinion some one or some people with significant knowledge of the details and an ability to convey the correct message and shut down any false information should be active across social media.

Nico

Post by Nico » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:03 pm

Please do counter some of the more extreme negative on social media.... it may also enable others to do the same. Of course there are divergent views well put but a lot is scattergun and emotional moving from one issue to another, often with very different agendas

For all that there are many local people who are either relaxed or positive about the plans.