Woking Legend Charlie Mortimore MBE

doylie

Woking Legend Charlie Mortimore MBE

Post by doylie » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:28 pm

It’s been announced tonight by Cove CC that Woking FC legend Charlie Mortimore MBE, Woking’s England Amateur International and captain of our 1958 FA Amateur Cup winning side has sadly passed away aged 91 - RIP Charlie 🔴⚪️

Memories of the past, visions of the future.
https://twitter.com/cardinal_tales

AndyT

Re: Woking Legend Charlie Mortimore MBE

Post by AndyT » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:30 pm

That’s very sad news, still 91 is a grand old age, RIP Charlie you will always be one of the true legends of Woking FC.

jonwoozley

Post by jonwoozley » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:53 pm

RIP. Very sad news.
Dual meditates,
Non habetis argentum.

Colin

Post by Colin » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:33 pm

That is sad. My first Woking hero as a kid. Wonderful goalscorer and leader. Captain in our Amateur Cup winning side, of course, and I believe captain of England amateurs at one time. I was outraged when Woking relieved him of his services as manager and wrote him a supportive letter (and was amazed many years later Doylie to discover he had kept it all that time and you very kindly returned it when he became ill). A real gentleman, too - I had the privilege of meeting him on a few occasions - he accepted an invitation (along with Geoff Hamm and Reg Stratton) to attend my parents' golden wedding anniversary party at Kingfield and was always gracious. One of the ultimate Cards legends.

Mingus

Post by Mingus » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:55 pm

RIP Charlie Mortimore. An absolute legend who will be permanently associated with glory and sportsmanship.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:21 am

A nice chap, had the honour of meeting him a number of times, very sad.

tornadosmith

Post by tornadosmith » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:19 am

One of those figures that united supporters across generations, certainly did for me, my dad and much missed grandad. A very polite chap the one time I met him in the late 80s. A cornerstone of our identity I feel.

JAM

Post by JAM » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:39 am

Very sad news. a true gentleman who will be sadly missed

Shots Steve

Post by Shots Steve » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:56 am

A proper legend for Woking, Aldershot and local sport in general. A massive figure who left a real impression wherever he went. He played with my Dad many, many years ago and I played cricket against him in my very early career. I know as fans we disagree on many (every) things, but I think we can all join and mourn the loss of a real giant and a proper gentleman.

doylie

Post by doylie » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:05 pm

Nicely put Shots Steve.

I’ve been brought up supporting the Cardinals since I was a kid in the 1970s, I was fascinated by the stories from the old boys on Moaners’ of “The good old days of the 50s and Charles Mortimore”, these stories of Charlie started my obsession for the history of our club.

One of the most memorable moments at Kingfield for me personally was sitting alone in a corner of Legends Bar with Charlie (dressed in his England blazer and proudly wearing his England watch) and Geoff Hamm one evening. We chatted about memorable Woking and England games that they’d both been involved in back in the day. I felt so honoured to be in their presence, and to share in their joint bemusement once they’d worked out the maths that I wasn’t even born at the time of these games!

It’s easy to cheaply eulogise at the passing of such a legend, but it’s incredibly hard to put into words what a sincere gentleman Charlie was, he’ll forever be a Cardinal.
Memories of the past, visions of the future.
https://twitter.com/cardinal_tales

Nico

Post by Nico » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:23 pm

Radio Surrey Drivetime ( approx 40 minutes in) did a lengthy interview with Geoff Chapple about Charlie. Focussed a lot on both Alderhsot and Woking

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:56 pm

A minutes applause on Saturday to celebrate his massive contribution to us and local football in general.
I think naming one of the two original stands after him would be very fitting.
Woking FC: Purveyors of outstanding highs and lows to me for 41 years.
www.oldfootballgames.co.uk - always looking to buy old football games

Bowler Hat

Post by Bowler Hat » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:46 pm

Cardsfan wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:56 pm
A minutes applause on Saturday to celebrate his massive contribution to us and local football in general.
I think naming one of the two original stands after him would be very fitting.
They're going to be pulled down in a couple of years. Let's name one of the stands in the new ground after him.

Bob Perry

Post by Bob Perry » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:38 am

Farnborough Fan in peace here.

Joint commiserations to all that knew the legend that is Charlie Mortimer.
A great servant to all football in this area, and beyond, to Woking, Aldershot, Schools F.A and latterly our own Farnborough Town F.C.

Charles was a great servant to our Club, as he was yours, and was rightly honoured by being made President of Farnborough Town F.C. and, subsequently had the main stand and new turnstile block named after him.

He will be greatly missed by all that knew him, and his exploits for your Club will long be remembered.

I'm sure there will be many at the funeral, when it comes about, to honour this great man of football, a true gent in every way.

I 'm equally sure that for once we can all forget our differences, and rivalries, in a day of remembrance and thanks, in the name of a real giant of sport!

cherrywoodcard

Post by cherrywoodcard » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:38 pm

According to Cove Cricket Club’s Twitter, Charlie’s funeral will be held at Aldershot Crematorium on October 9th at 11:30 am.

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:41 am