Season Start and Season Ticket Update

Nick
Posts: 2520
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:14 pm
Location: Stoke D'Abernon
Has thanked: 166 times
Been thanked: 380 times
Contact:

Season Start and Season Ticket Update

Post by Nick » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:47 am


Cardsfan
Posts: 574
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:00 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 52 times

Re: Season Start and Season Ticket Update

Post by Cardsfan » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:13 am

If the club could use funds now I’d be delighted to pay a decent deposit on a future season ticket. I’m sure may others would too.
Woking FC: Purveyors of outstanding highs and lows to me for 43 years.
Https://www.oldfootballgames.co.uk always looking to buy old football games.

Cardinal96
Posts: 859
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:01 pm
Has thanked: 102 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: Season Start and Season Ticket Update

Post by Cardinal96 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:23 am

For anyone interested, you can read the SGSA's (draft) "Planning for social distancing at sports grounds" guidance here. I presume the National league will expect all clubs to conform to this, which will drive any reduction in capacity.

The guide assumes that the government guidance is to remain 1m apart, but it isn't yet clear how that 1m distance will be measured, so the total capacity will depend on the detail of this calculation. Essentially, a seated stand like the LGS will reduce in capacity to 17 - 33% of it's usual seated capacity. We have around 2000 seats in the ground so worst case scenario, we would only be able to sell 340 of those seats. The reduction in the capacity of terraces is even greater. With social distancing, you can have a max density of either/between 0.5 - 1.25 people per square metre. Worst case, that could mean the capacity of the KRE, CLT and Moaners reducing to around 400. On top of that, the size of concourses, circulation areas and exits could restrict our capacity further. 

Best case, our grounds capacity might be 1,700. Worst case, it might be 740 odd. It could be a struggle to maintain a competitive playing budget with our crowds capped like that. A lot of teams in our league will be in a similar position, so I expect there will be no away fans at the majority of matches this year. You can see why it's so difficult to sell season tickets too, and match day tickets could go up in price to compensate for the lower crowds. 

Anyone have any bright ideas of how we could fit more people whilst social distancing? Or could we stream games live for a fee? Perhaps an agreement with a select few pubs around Woking to show the match in exchange for an entry fee, so we're still able to watch with others?

Adz
Posts: 1366
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:16 am
Has thanked: 184 times
Been thanked: 113 times

Re: Season Start and Season Ticket Update

Post by Adz » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:55 am

Dover released a statement yesterday that suggested capacity will be reduced to 15% in our league which in our case would be between 800 and 900 fans allowed in depending on what our official capacity is these days.
They also said that it may be adults only to maximise income!
Whatever the outcome it's going to be a very strange time and the club needs as much financial support as possible. Have a look at the fundraising thread for various ways to contribute.


We have a "hardcore" of around 800. Charge roughly £500 a season ticket (around £22 per match) and have season ticket holders only. Not ideal but a way forward.

Kingfield Ender
Posts: 4718
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:48 am
Has thanked: 437 times
Been thanked: 359 times

Re: Season Start and Season Ticket Update

Post by Kingfield Ender » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:37 pm

Theyve also reverted to part time, which makes sense for a club who dont get half our average gate
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

JAM
Posts: 1376
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:01 am
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Season Start and Season Ticket Update

Post by JAM » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:39 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/53610375

this isn't going to help either

Hampshire Card
Posts: 149
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:42 am
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Season Start and Season Ticket Update

Post by Hampshire Card » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:00 pm

I think we all need to thank Rosemary and the board for their careful approach towards signing players, with the even bigger delay towards the season start it means that many clubs will be losing money every week on players they won’t be able to afford

WFC96
Posts: 490
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:52 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Season Start and Season Ticket Update

Post by WFC96 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:05 pm

Adz wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:55 am
Dover released a statement yesterday that suggested capacity will be reduced to 15% in our league which in our case would be between 800 and 900 fans allowed in depending on what our official capacity is these days.
They also said that it may be adults only to maximise income!
Whatever the outcome it's going to be a very strange time and the club needs as much financial support as possible. Have a look at the fundraising thread for various ways to contribute.


We have a "hardcore" of around 800. Charge roughly £500 a season ticket (around £22 per match) and have season ticket holders only. Not ideal but a way forward.
If something like that happens then I hope there will be a streaming season ticket too which can be converted if/when we're allowed back in stadiums. I can't afford to spend £500 up front

wokingsteve
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:45 pm
Location: Guildford
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Season Start and Season Ticket Update

Post by wokingsteve » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:06 pm

Hampshire Card wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:00 pm
I think we all need to thank Rosemary and the board for their careful approach towards signing players, with the even bigger delay towards the season start it means that many clubs will be losing money every week on players they won’t be able to afford
Does this include the wages of the 7 players already signed ????.

WFC96
Posts: 490
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:52 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Season Start and Season Ticket Update

Post by WFC96 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:10 pm

wokingsteve wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:06 pm
Hampshire Card wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:00 pm
I think we all need to thank Rosemary and the board for their careful approach towards signing players, with the even bigger delay towards the season start it means that many clubs will be losing money every week on players they won’t be able to afford
Does this include the wages of the 7 players already signed ????.
Dowse has already said that there is a clause in all of the contracts which states that they won't be paid if there are no games due to Coronavirus

Cardinal96
Posts: 859
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:01 pm
Has thanked: 102 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: Season Start and Season Ticket Update

Post by Cardinal96 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:16 pm

What about no season tickets at all? Sell each games tickets online a week or two in advance, giving flexibility in case rules change suddenly. Fans could buy a membership card for, say, £20 which gives them access to an early booking window so more likely to get tickets for each match, but no guarantee or discount. Tickets could vary in price depending on the capacity for any given match. Offer refunds on tickets bought online so if anyone has to self isolate all of a sudden, someone else can fill their space.

Hampshire Card
Posts: 149
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:42 am
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Season Start and Season Ticket Update

Post by Hampshire Card » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:34 pm

Cardinal96 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:16 pm
What about no season tickets at all? Sell each games tickets online a week or two in advance, giving flexibility in case rules change suddenly. Fans could buy a membership card for, say, £20 which gives them access to an early booking window so more likely to get tickets for each match, but no guarantee or discount. Tickets could vary in price depending on the capacity for any given match. Offer refunds on tickets bought online so if anyone has to self isolate all of a sudden, someone else can fill their space.
We need the money upfront to sign players with

AndyT
Posts: 3165
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:11 pm
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 191 times

Re: Season Start and Season Ticket Update

Post by AndyT » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:50 pm

Cardinal96 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:23 am
For anyone interested, you can read the SGSA's (draft) "Planning for social distancing at sports grounds" guidance here. I presume the National league will expect all clubs to conform to this, which will drive any reduction in capacity.

The guide assumes that the government guidance is to remain 1m apart, but it isn't yet clear how that 1m distance will be measured, so the total capacity will depend on the detail of this calculation. Essentially, a seated stand like the LGS will reduce in capacity to 17 - 33% of it's usual seated capacity. We have around 2000 seats in the ground so worst case scenario, we would only be able to sell 340 of those seats. The reduction in the capacity of terraces is even greater. With social distancing, you can have a max density of either/between 0.5 - 1.25 people per square metre. Worst case, that could mean the capacity of the KRE, CLT and Moaners reducing to around 400. On top of that, the size of concourses, circulation areas and exits could restrict our capacity further. 

Best case, our grounds capacity might be 1,700. Worst case, it might be 740 odd. It could be a struggle to maintain a competitive playing budget with our crowds capped like that. A lot of teams in our league will be in a similar position, so I expect there will be no away fans at the majority of matches this year. You can see why it's so difficult to sell season tickets too, and match day tickets could go up in price to compensate for the lower crowds. 

Anyone have any bright ideas of how we could fit more people whilst social distancing? Or could we stream games live for a fee? Perhaps an agreement with a select few pubs around Woking to show the match in exchange for an entry fee, so we're still able to watch with others?
Cheers for this, I can study this in depth on Sunday as I'm no longer going to the Oval.............

I haven't looked at this document yet so apologies if I'm totally wrong but I had been told that any capacity would include players, football management team & support, officials, medical staff, stewards and any other employees/volunteers. This is certainly the case in the Republic of Ireland. If this is so then it reduces the capacity available for supporters even more.

Whatever happens (and presuming the season goes ahead as planned) then supporters need to realise that some very unpopular decisions will be made by the club over the next couple of months, many imposed upon the club by the drastic situation football and the whole community is in currently. Whatever is decided will be in the interest of Woking FC and if it upsets a few people then I'm sorry thats tough. Watching our club play will be totally different to how we've all been accustomed to over all these years. This could be we have to pay more or we can't all watch matches when we want. So please no hissy fits about how unfair it is, all of football is in a similar situation (well from Leagues 1 & 2 downwards) so its just something we will all have to accept.

Card Sharp
Posts: 742
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:50 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Season Start and Season Ticket Update

Post by Card Sharp » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:15 pm

WFC96 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:10 pm
wokingsteve wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:06 pm


Does this include the wages of the 7 players already signed ????.
Dowse has already said that there is a clause in all of the contracts which states that they won't be paid if there are no games due to Coronavirus
The games are going to go ahead, it will just depend on the crowds.

I suspect the contracts only dictate whether matches are played and not tiered depending on gate receipts etc!

Will be interesting to see what occurs. It is looking more and more like away fans wont be able to attend...so, how is that gonna work? I guess we would pay the home side a fee for the stream?

Meerkat
Posts: 2123
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:14 pm
Has thanked: 90 times
Been thanked: 104 times

Re: Season Start and Season Ticket Update

Post by Meerkat » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:13 pm

What about bubbles?
If all spectators in the LGS are STs in designated seats presumably you can fit a lot more in by grouping households together?
You could do this on the terraces too but it’s going to need a lot of painted lines and numbers!

Hampshire Card
Posts: 149
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:42 am
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Season Start and Season Ticket Update

Post by Hampshire Card » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:23 pm

Distancing won’t be obeyed anyway, we’ve seen that in pubs etc, it’ll be hypothetical but you can’t expect everyone to follow it to a t

Cardinal96
Posts: 859
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:01 pm
Has thanked: 102 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: Season Start and Season Ticket Update

Post by Cardinal96 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:25 pm

Meerkat wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:13 pm
What about bubbles?
If all spectators in the LGS are STs in designated seats presumably you can fit a lot more in by grouping households together?
You could do this on the terraces too but it’s going to need a lot of painted lines and numbers!
The guidance above already assumes households / bubbles will sit together. If every single person was socially distanced from one another, including within families, the capacity would be reduced even further.

jonwoozley
Posts: 1090
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:09 am
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Season Start and Season Ticket Update

Post by jonwoozley » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:35 pm

Adz wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:55 am

We have a "hardcore" of around 800. Charge roughly £500 a season ticket (around £22 per match) and have season ticket holders only. Not ideal but a way forward.
I agree with this, pay full price to guarantee a season ticket, or wait for a reduced price but no guarantee you will get one if sold out. I doubt the capacity would be under 2,000.
Dual meditates,
Non habetis argentum.

Card Sharp
Posts: 742
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:50 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Season Start and Season Ticket Update

Post by Card Sharp » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:36 pm

Perhaps it would be wise, if season tickets go ahead, that you reserve your seats for LGS and the sheds.

Nico
Posts: 478
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:39 pm
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 100 times

Re: Season Start and Season Ticket Update

Post by Nico » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:14 pm

As now an independent voice :-) there is a lot of realism in this thread and Andy is right when he says some different, difficult decisions will need to be made.

It will be a season unlike any other in that it will be 8 months after the last season ended and the new season itself will be totally unpredictable. What is sure is that attendances will be a fraction ( 15% say Dover) and bar sales, refreshments, programme income will be way down. A friend of mine has a church facility in a converted warehouse which normally takes 400 - now they can get in 60. Bubble is irrelevant and a family of 4 take 4 spaces.

I don't think its overly dramatic to say it is almost like a wartime season but the full enemy and impact is not yet clear. Basically we just have to pull together and make it through - and if we do that we will do well on the pitch as well as get through off it.

I am not sure all clubs and most players have realised what has actually happened yet and are sort of in a state of denial. We do have a lot going for us in that we pull together really well and understand what is going on. Hopefully it will just be one season and it will be more stable next year - but it wont be easy

A few have mentioned streaming and I have been involved with the video and comms recently. The league contracts currently say clubs can't live stream games, let alone charge for it. Noises are being made that these are exceptional times and with crowds restricted and some shielding streaming of games and income from that is an option. personally i think any reasonable football wide approach would say they must be flexible and give a little. We will see.

So it will be a challenge in every way but if we are up for it we will make it through.

kansasCard
Posts: 2837
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:38 pm
Location: Downtown Kansas City Missouri
Has thanked: 219 times
Been thanked: 172 times
Contact:

Re: Season Start and Season Ticket Update

Post by kansasCard » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:33 pm

makes complete sense for the league to refrig contracts and allow streaming. This has been suggested over and over many times. Sort out the financials, revenue split, rules (laws) and get it done. I'd pay and I'm sure so would many others on a consistent basis.
This space intentionally left blank

Waverley
Posts: 353
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:03 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: Season Start and Season Ticket Update

Post by Waverley » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:58 pm

jonwoozley wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:35 pm
Adz wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:55 am

We have a "hardcore" of around 800. Charge roughly £500 a season ticket (around £22 per match) and have season ticket holders only. Not ideal but a way forward.
I agree with this, pay full price to guarantee a season ticket, or wait for a reduced price but no guarantee you will get one if sold out. I doubt the capacity would be under 2,000.
getouttahere - the comfortably off only?? - this isn't a gentleman's club - the club has to be inclusive for all in the community, not just those who can afford to buy their way in

access to limited capacity should be (at least in part) loyalty based

Card Sharp
Posts: 742
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:50 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Season Start and Season Ticket Update

Post by Card Sharp » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:47 pm

£500! for a season ticket? Even in these times? And yes, you may get enough people, but as Waverley points out, not all of the loyal fans will be able to outlay that amount of money and you therefore are making Woking FC exclusive, not inclusive.

Plenty to consider, and as Nico points out, you would like to think the league, the clubs and BT Sport, will be able to come to some form of compromise.

Adz
Posts: 1366
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:16 am
Has thanked: 184 times
Been thanked: 113 times

Re: Season Start and Season Ticket Update

Post by Adz » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:58 pm

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to pay £500 for a season ticket but I think it's a realistic price in this situation.
It's just my opinion, doesn't mean it will happen.

Dover have said they are considering not having children at games to maximise income! Their potential future fan base!

There will ultimately be people that are unhappy whatever the outcome but the club still have to survive and that's the main thing.

jonwoozley
Posts: 1090
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:09 am
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Season Start and Season Ticket Update

Post by jonwoozley » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:05 pm

Card Sharp wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:47 pm
£500! for a season ticket? Even in these times? And yes, you may get enough people, but as Waverley points out, not all of the loyal fans will be able to outlay that amount of money and you therefore are making Woking FC exclusive, not inclusive.

Plenty to consider, and as Nico points out, you would like to think the league, the clubs and BT Sport, will be able to come to some form of compromise.
Tough decisions. Inclusive with the Zak Ansah's or exclusive with the Matt Jarvis's.
Dual meditates,
Non habetis argentum.


Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaitAccompli, Jparvin1 and 26 guests

Cardboard

Cardsboard.co.uk is not an official message board of Woking Football Club or The Cards Trust, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Please be warned that some posts will contain swear words.

Vanarama National League Club Forums: Aldershot Town | Barnet | Barrow | Bromley | Chesterfield | Chorley | Dagenham & Redbridge | Dover Athletic | Eastleigh | Ebbsfleet United | FC Halifax Town | Harrogate Town | Hartlepool United | Maidenhead United | Notts County | Solihull Moors | Stockport County | Sutton United | Torquay United | Wrexham

Unofficial League Forums: The Conference Forum

Other Links: Cards Trust - Boost the Budget | wokingfc.co.uk | Surrey Advertiser | Woking News and Mail | Woking FC Official Photo Gallery | BBC Sport - Woking | BBC Football Commentaries