The Surrey Invitation Cup history

Cardsfan

The Surrey Invitation Cup history

Post by Cardsfan » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:15 pm

Back in the 1950s and 60s Woking played in the Surrey Invitation Cup tournament. To help organise our Woking programme collection I’d appreciate any knowledge of whether this was a first team or reserve competition. One for the older supporters and Doylie of course.
Surrey FA seemed on overload at the time with the senior cup, the senior shield and the invitation cup.
Woking FC: Purveyors of outstanding highs and lows to me for 43 years.
Https://www.oldfootballgames.co.uk always looking to buy old football games.

doylie

Re: The Surrey Invitation Cup history

Post by doylie » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:58 pm

My understanding is that the Surrey Invitation Cup seemed to evolve from the earlier Surrey Combination Cup, it was predominantly played mid week (often a Thursday?) and was entered by a mixture of Amateur, Semi Pro and Professional club’s affiliated to the Surrey FA. Mostly amateur Isthmian clubs would elect their first XI, whereas semi pro clubs like Guildford City and pro clubs like Crystal Palace would enter their Reserves (which I believe Palace, Woking and Sutton still can elect to do in the SSC if they so chose). From memory, I think Woking reached the final a couple of times, notably once against Palace in 1959.

I know on a few occasions against the likes of Ks, Palace and City things used to get a bit tasty on and off the pitch. Woking obviously don’t have a hooligan problem, but the Police did get involved once against Kingstonian when some feisty old girl got proper out of hand when throwing a hot cup of tea at the referee after he sent a Woking player off.

NAWTY!

Memories of the past, visions of the future.
https://twitter.com/cardinal_tales

trevorinottawa

Post by trevorinottawa » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:16 am

Mark, I'm quite sure I was at this game. Mainly recall it from the crowd trouble at the end, which I don't think I'd seen before at Kingfield. O'Riordan was quite often in trouble with the refs. When was it 1966 or so?

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:10 am

I think the competition further evolved into the Southern Combination Cup.

doylie

Post by doylie » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:20 pm

Hi Trevor, hope you and the family are well.

Yes, it was Kingstonian in the Surrey Invitation Cup Semi Final on 28th April 1966.
Memories of the past, visions of the future.
https://twitter.com/cardinal_tales

trevorinottawa

Post by trevorinottawa » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:06 pm

Thanks Mark, all fine here. Not too much of a problem in Canada with virus stuff, quite different to US. US-Canada border has been closed to non-essential travel since March and not likely to be open soon. Following Fulham and Brentford games this week. Will be last ever game at Griffin Park tomorrow. Was my first ever visit to a league club ground in 1967 FACup vs Guildford City abandoned in a snow storm with Guildford leading, eventually beating Brentford in a replay at Josephs Rd.

Cookie1155

Post by Cookie1155 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:04 pm

I remember that replay. A week before Christmas. Went with some mates who were City fans. City won 2-1. Great excitement all round.

trevorinottawa

Post by trevorinottawa » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:00 pm

Yes the replay at Guildford City's Joseph's Rd ground was a great game, outplaying Brentford over 3 game. Largest crowd I ever saw at the ground, must have been over capacity. Used to go occasionally when there was no match at Kingfield.