Anyone else concerned?

Wokingcard

Anyone else concerned?

Post by Wokingcard » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:42 pm

After comments from Dowse about not being able to sign anymore players and not knowing what his budget is and what Casey said about players wanting to re-sign and Dowse wanting to sign them but can’t - is anyone else worried about this season?

Why is every other club (in our league and below) signing players and squads and we’re not? surely the board need to pull their finger out and give Dowse a full budget to work with?

If I was Dowse I’d be close to throwing the towel in - all the focus last season was on the stadium, we had the smallest budget and now the stadium was turned down (no surprises there) and we still almost made the playoffs.

Now the board won’t even give him a budget to sign more than 8 players...why?!

Worried we could end up sleep walking to the conference south if they don’t get their act together.

Insider

Re: Anyone else concerned?

Post by Insider » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:46 pm

Wokingcard wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:42 pm
After comments from Dowse about not being able to sign anymore players and not knowing what his budget is and what Casey said about players wanting to re-sign and Dowse wanting to sign them but can’t - is anyone else worried about this season?

Why is every other club (in our league and below) signing players and squads and we’re not? surely the board need to pull their finger out and give Dowse a full budget to work with?

If I was Dowse I’d be close to throwing the towel in - all the focus last season was on the stadium, we had the smallest budget and now the stadium was turned down (no surprises there) and we still almost made the playoffs.

Worried we could end up sleep walking to the conference south if they don’t get their act together.
I would imagine things will change once and if they decide how much to charge for season tickets

Hampshire Card

Post by Hampshire Card » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:57 pm

Wokingcard wrote:

Just trust in the manager, he knows what he is doing.

Wokingcard

Post by Wokingcard » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:07 pm

Hampshire Card wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:57 pm
Wokingcard wrote:

I trust in the manager. I’m worried the board and supporting him and he’ll walk because it’s ridiculous we’re losing players to clubs in the same league and they haven’t given him a full budget to work with.

Hampshire Card

Post by Hampshire Card » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:08 pm

Wokingcard wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:07 pm
Hampshire Card wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:57 pm

I trust in the manager. I’m worried the board and supporting him and he’ll walk because it’s ridiculous we’re losing players to clubs in the same league and they haven’t given him a full budget to work with.
He’s had small budgets at Hampton and Kingstonian yet still got them to the top of the league, he knows what he needs to do

TWR

Post by TWR » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:13 pm

A new poster who wants to moan about the Board. Same old - is it just some of the regulars under a new name?

Simple business/economics - no money coming in means no money to spend. No crowd in the stadium means no money to pay players’ wages. Other clubs can spend non-existent money and go bankrupt, I’d much rather have a football club here in the years to come because of sensible decisions being made by the manager and the board.
"Nunca Dejes De Creer..."

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:22 pm

Dowson is no fool, I cant think of anyone else I'd have managing us right now. He knows the club inside out, wanted the job and made everyone aware of that and he gets the best from his players.

He wont be getting his pants pulled down on player wages either.
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

Wokingcard

Post by Wokingcard » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:25 pm

TWR wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:13 pm
A new poster who wants to moan about the Board. Same old - is it just some of the regulars under a new name?

Simple business/economics - no money coming in means no money to spend. No crowd in the stadium means no money to pay players’ wages. Other clubs can spend non-existent money and go bankrupt, I’d much rather have a football club here in the years to come because of sensible decisions being made by the manager and the board.
So why can all the other clubs in the league and the below league set budgets but we can’t?

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:29 pm

Let's see how many of them suffer financially down the line for setting a budget without knowing how much money is coming in.

We might see a few 'tactical admins' this season
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

AndyT

Post by AndyT » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:53 pm

TWR wrote:

Exactly this. I don't know where people think WFC will get all this money from to sign all these players but at present money is a limited commodity and it has to be managed correctly.

I'm not sure where all these clubs are that are signing dozens of players. Admittedly I don't trawl social media all the time to see who is but from what I do see I see the odd club signing the odd player or two. Despite what people think many clubs are in the same situation as WFC and are playing it carefully at present. Not knowing when the season will start is a factor, not knowing how many supporters will be allowed into the ground is another factor. No Board can realistically set a budget with these uncertainties. Why saddle ourselves with expensive contracts before we know when and how football will be played. Even under normal circumstances WFC would have a limited budget that wouldn't allow us to sign every player we might like to sign. We all know WFC can't compete with many of the clubs in the National League (and some in the North & South) so we have to get used to losing players we want to clubs who can offer better/longer contracts.

There are hundreds and hundreds of players out there looking for contracts for next season so I don't see the rush to sign up everyone now. Dowse knows what he wants and what WFC can offer so I have every confidence he'll get us a squad for us to shout about. He's already alluded to the fact WFC will have to use the loan system well next season which is no difference to previous seasons.

Be under no illusion that this next season is going to be a very difficult one for WFC, finances will be extremely tight and will have to be well managed. But that is no different to many other clubs throughout football. Us the supporters will be asked to help out financially in a bigger way, we will probably be asked to pay more for season tickets, those who can afford to do so should increase their BTB contributions, shareholders may have to contribute more. WFC needs us more now than they have for some time. We all whinge that we don't have this or don't do that but financially we're in a must stronger position right now than quite a few of our fellow National League clubs because we haven't thrown stupid money around like others have so lets support our Board and Management.

onceacard

Post by onceacard » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:58 pm

Wokingcard wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:25 pm
TWR wrote:

So why can all the other clubs in the league and the below league set budgets but we can’t?
Because theyve sold season tickets its simple

Wokingcard

Post by Wokingcard » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:23 pm

Risky Strategy - let our rivals sign players we’ve had and want to keep or other targets that won’t wait for us to get a budget and be left with the others that no one wants when we finally decide what we can spend!

Good luck to the manager...

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:50 pm

I read this thread whilst the Vile Hobby Club Derby is on BT Sport, Borehamwood v Harrogate.

Both chairman pissed their money up the wall and have had to remortgage their houses and defer bills to keep their little hobbies going.

I’ll have a fiver with anyone that one, if not both go pop or collapse, crash and burn before Woking.

Money gives you a better choices, not necessarily the better group of players.

onceacard

Post by onceacard » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:57 pm

Wokingcard wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:23 pm
Risky Strategy - let our rivals sign players we’ve had and want to keep or other targets that won’t wait for us to get a budget and be left with the others that no one wants when we finally decide what we can spend!

More of a risk spending money you dont have

Card Sharp

Post by Card Sharp » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:16 pm

onceacard wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:57 pm
Wokingcard wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:23 pm

More of a risk spending money you dont have
Time will tell. Maybe we are too risk averse. But in Dowse we trust.

wokingbob

Post by wokingbob » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:38 pm

No, not worried. Our future revenue is still uncertain. It is too risky to spend too much until theres more certainty about likely future revenue.

It could be financial suicide for those clubs gambling on optimistic forecasts (guesses) or it could work for them. If I owned the club, I would do exactly the same thing. Live within your means.

Yes I'm as frustrated as anyone, but it feels the prudent thing to do.
Optimism IS my middle name. Trust in Dowse.

GlenH

Post by GlenH » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:18 pm

Concerned about the club, yes, virtually every football fan in the country will be worried for their club after months of uncertainty unlike anything which has been seen before. However, I remain reassured by those doing the talking that we have good people at the helm who care deeply about the club and will do what's best to protect it.

Concerned about the squad, no, I'd argue we're in quite a good position really. Going into pre-season with eight players signed is not an unfamiliar position for us to be in. The fact that 6 or 7 of those players are starters is really encouraging. With respect, I'm not going to lose any sleep over us losing fringe players to Maidenhead. Dowse will be prioritising those that he wants the most and to me he looks like he's got most of those sorted already. Yes, it'd be a bigger blow if we lost Diarra, Poku, Hyde or even Ferdinand I would argue, particularly if they also went to a club in our league and of a similar stature, but even if that does happen then we've still given ourselves a good foundation to build on when the outlook is a little more certain. There won't be any proper football until at least mid-September so I'm quite comfortable with where we are two months out.

AshWFC

Post by AshWFC » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:35 pm

I seem to recall a number of fans (inverted commas perhaps required) in January wanted Dowse to turn over half of our squad within a month ... now a couple of players on the fringe of the first team move on and it's time to hit the panic button... riiight...

We're still two months away from the potential start of the season, and we're a part-time club in a full-time league, so trying to compete with any bankrolled outfits for players intent on long term, full-time football at this stage is a non-starter.

Cardbourne

Post by Cardbourne » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:48 am

AshWFC wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:35 pm
I seem to recall a number of fans (inverted commas perhaps required) in January wanted Dowse to turn over half of our squad within a month ... now a couple of players on the fringe of the first team move on and it's time to hit the panic button... riiight...

We're still two months away from the potential start of the season, and we're a part-time club in a full-time league, so trying to compete with any bankrolled outfits for players intent on long term, full-time football at this stage is a non-starter.
This!!

To be honest although it can be a bit frustrating when we seem to lose out on players to smaller clubs, i've come to accept we are a club run on a tight budget, it's been that way for the last 15 odd years I've followed Woking.

I quiet like the fact we are the biggest part time club in the country (maybe the world?) And can hopefully attract some of the best part time players in the south in the next month or so..

skippy

Post by skippy » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:50 am

Shouldn't feed the troll I know, but a quick scan of other clubs in our league and below suggests that mostly clubs have retained players and very few seem to have signed up many new players.
Quite a few haven't announced ST prices.
There are 2 clubs that haven't finished their seasons and don't know which league they'll be in, plus 4 others that have only just finished.
The same goes for clubs in the NLS and NLN.
I find the suggestion that all of the other clubs know their full budgets for next season and are far ahead of us in assembling a squad to be somewhat inaccurate.

Card Sharp

Post by Card Sharp » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:25 pm

skippy wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:50 am
Shouldn't feed the troll I know, but a quick scan of other clubs in our league and below suggests that mostly clubs have retained players and very few seem to have signed up many new players.
Quite a few haven't announced ST prices.
There are 2 clubs that haven't finished their seasons and don't know which league they'll be in, plus 4 others that have only just finished.
The same goes for clubs in the NLS and NLN.
I find the suggestion that all of the other clubs know their full budgets for next season and are far ahead of us in assembling a squad to be somewhat inaccurate.
Fair points.

Maybe you should tell Dowse that, given his comments.

In Dowse we trust

Sunbrow

Post by Sunbrow » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:32 pm

Dowse has got it right, we don't want to line agents and greedy players pockets with supporters hard earned cash just for them to move on to another club after a season. The players we have want to play for Woking and that's far more important than a one season money grabbing individual. We need improvement,yes, but we also need a club to support otherwise we will become another Bury.

skippy

Post by skippy » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:13 pm

Card Sharp wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:25 pm

Fair points.

In Dowse we trust
I'm a cynic, I assume most manager's comments pre-season are some form of brinkmanship, either to squeeze more money from the board, to convince players/agents we're not going to waste money, to get the fans to back them.

Card Sharp

Post by Card Sharp » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:25 pm

skippy wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:13 pm
Card Sharp wrote:

Fair points.

In Dowse we trust
I'm a cynic, I assume most manager's comments pre-season are some form of brinkmanship, either to squeeze more money from the board, to convince players/agents we're not going to waste money, to get the fans to back them.
So when Dowse says he is telling us the truth, you are insinuating he is not?

KT15 Card

Post by KT15 Card » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:05 pm

skippy wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:13 pm
Card Sharp wrote:

Fair points.

In Dowse we trust
That was my first initial thought after listening to the catchup. Garry Hill loved to do it too