Donnellan left as has taken a 2 year deal somewhere, not announced yet
@iAmCraigy

Adz

Re: Dowse's Friday Catch-Up | 24/07/2020

Post by Adz » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:25 pm

iAmCraigy wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:18 pm
Donnellan left as has taken a 2 year deal somewhere, not announced yet
A team in our league. I liked Donnellan but it is what it is.

TWR

Post by TWR » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:27 pm

*Waiting for Chobham Card's summary*
"Nunca Dejes De Creer..."

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:02 pm

TWR wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:27 pm
*Waiting for Chobham Card's summary*
Ask and ye shall receive. I'll usurp David in 20 years.
  • Starting pre-season next week. Potential for “some things to get resolved”, presumably in regards to contracts/transfers. Some players who haven't signed but want to will start training with the group, it's implied.
  • Rossy is a brilliant signing. “Proved he’s one of the best in the league in my opinion” and “rested over Christmas”, to put this week’s debate to bed. “Massive asset around the place” to the club, in the changing room and on the pitch.
  • As above, Donnellan going on a two-year deal to another club in this league. Should be announced tomorrow. "I'd have done the same, wish him well." Was upset to leave.
  • Donnellan's departure seems to be a result of not being able to commit to players. Clive Youlton piece “concerned that other clubs are signing players and we’re not.” Dowse says it's "100% true" that clubs are more active than us at the moment. Lots of players contacting Casey wanting to sign, but if they get a good offer, Dowse can’t go “just hold on to that for two weeks and see how things go.” “I’ll be honest with all of them. I was honest with Shaun, bless his heart. ‘Gaffer, you know where me heart is, but I can’t do this yet.’"
  • For players who want to sign but who we can’t sign yet, there’s also the risk of injuries – if a free agent gets a knock and he’s out for six weeks, it threatens any deal he could get anywhere.
  • Suggestion that playing behind closed doors could cost £20,000 per game in lost revenue in WN&M. Dowse is absolutely on Team Rosemary with regards to navigating the situation – “I don’t think anyone else can do it. She is trying her very best.” Lots of rumour and concern that can’t be verified yet, can only do what he can.
  • “Why don’t we have a rule where you have to spend a year training to run a football club? All these clubs going bust, all these clubs not run right. And you speak in a different way to any other industry – if me and Ben squared up at half time, we’d be having a pint after the game! Why isn’t there a course in this stuff?”
  • Tyreke Johnson sent a message to say how thankful he was for his time here. Loved the fans, loved the club.
  • Trying to get himself fit. “Chairman said I was looking a bit podgy!” If you've got any spare/free gym equipment, give him a shout.
Also want to make a point of highlighting this classic bit of Dowse. One of my favorite things he's said, I think:
  • “When I manage teams, I try and get everyone in this unit, and it’s thick, and nobody gets out that unit. That’s why Casey’s great. And we get this little bond, and nobody breaks wuh. Nobody. We go and do things for charities, we go down the local pub we do, we say ‘this is your club. Be proud of it.' It’s a hard one to get now, because players are selfish, but I’ve always had that bond. It’s why some like Shaun are upset [at not being able to sign], it’s why Jarvis has bought into it massively - he understands what I’m trying to do. But some don’t understand the bond, think ‘ah, there’s other players out there.’ Nuggets.”

TWR

Post by TWR » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:09 pm

Quality as always (from Dowse and from CC with the ever-helpful summary). Cheers.
"Nunca Dejes De Creer..."

Nonsense Potter

Post by Nonsense Potter » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:41 pm

Shame about Donnellen. Falls into a group with the likes of Kretschmar, Ferdinand and Hyde - in that I’m pretty neutral to them staying or going.

We need to keep Moussa IMO though. One of the best in the league.
Scorer of possibly the greatest goal in the history of the Woking FC Supporters' team

kansasCard

Post by kansasCard » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:11 pm

Thanks CC. I'll sit down and listen another day. Appreciate the summary as always.
This space intentionally left blank

Currycard

Post by Currycard » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:38 pm

Can't blame Donellan for accepting a two year contract from another club in our league. I think most players would bite the hand off of any club offering a two year deal currently and assuming it's paying the same/more than he was on last year with us so win win for him. Considering it's a two year deal I'm going to predict it's with Stevenage as I believe he had a loan deal with them a few years ago so may have a link with them still but I could be wrong. I share a similar view as others about not being too disappointed with him leaving as he was quite hit and miss in my view but can't knock his effort and attitude. Will be interesting to see if other members of last seasons squad now begin to sign elsewhere also (Hyde, Moussa, Poku, Ferdinand etc) with possible offers from Woking too low or on hold but I like the players we've signed so far so I'm not too worried currently but ask me in 4 weeks :/ New third shirt looks mint by the way love it and great initiative by the club.

Nonsense Potter

Post by Nonsense Potter » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:08 pm

Donnellen, for me, wasn’t a starter in our best side. Lots of attributes as a defensive shield in the middle and a good showing at right back, but not a starter for me. Would far prefer Poku and Ferdinand ahead of him.
Scorer of possibly the greatest goal in the history of the Woking FC Supporters' team

northeast card

Post by northeast card » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:20 pm

“Nobody breaks wuh” 😂
I’ve never seen it written down before but for the benefit of anyone unable to understand the dialect it means “us”!

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:39 pm

northeast card wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:20 pm
“Nobody breaks wuh” 😂
I’ve never seen it written down before but for the benefit of anyone unable to understand the dialect it means “us”!
Not even going to pretend I knew how to spell it!
Currycard wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:38 pm
Can't blame Donellan for accepting a two year contract from another club in our league. I think most players would bite the hand off of any club offering a two year deal currently and assuming it's paying the same/more than he was on last year with us so win win for him.
Don't think anyone bears any ill will towards Donnellan anyway, but it's worth making the point that anyone at a part time club should be jumping at the security of a two year deal.

Card Sharp

Post by Card Sharp » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:11 pm

Nonsense Potter wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:41 pm
Shame about Donnellen. Falls into a group with the likes of Kretschmar, Ferdinand and Hyde - in that I’m pretty neutral to them staying or going.

Agree all bar Hyde, as his goal record suggests otherwise.

I'd be disappointed, even on our suppposedly meagre budget and part time status, if we could not improve upon Donnellan.

WFC96

Post by WFC96 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:31 pm

Card Sharp wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:11 pm
Nonsense Potter wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:41 pm

I'd be disappointed, even on our suppposedly meagre budget and part time status, if we could not improve upon Donnellan.
I still think Ferdinand is a good midfielder in this league and would like him to stick around

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:44 pm

WFC96 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:31 pm
Card Sharp wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:11 pm

I still think Ferdinand is a good midfielder in this league and would like him to stick around
Also agree with this. The apathy towards our top appearance holder in the squad is quite odd to me.

Insider

Post by Insider » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:13 pm

Currycard wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:38 pm
Can't blame Donellan for accepting a two year contract from another club in our league. I think most players would bite the hand off of any club offering a two year deal currently and assuming it's paying the same/more than he was on last year with us so win win for him. Considering it's a two year deal I'm going to predict it's with Stevenage as I believe he had a loan deal with them a few years ago so may have a link with them still but I could be wrong. I share a similar view as others about not being too disappointed with him leaving as he was quite hit and miss in my view but can't knock his effort and attitude. Will be interesting to see if other members of last seasons squad now begin to sign elsewhere also (Hyde, Moussa, Poku, Ferdinand etc) with possible offers from Woking too low or on hold but I like the players we've signed so far so I'm not too worried currently but ask me in 4 weeks :/ New third shirt looks mint by the way love it and great initiative by the club.
More likely to be a team that finished below Woking. Given he wouldnt be guaranteed a start at woking Cant see a team higher giving him 2 years

Card Sharp

Post by Card Sharp » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:43 pm

Chobham Card wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:44 pm
WFC96 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:31 pm

Also agree with this. The apathy towards our top appearance holder in the squad is quite odd to me.
I don't mind Kane. On our supposedly meagre budget maybe we can do better, maybe we can't. If he stayed, I would be ok, if he left, I would be ok.

Joey Jones played a lot for us too...

Cardinals Rule

Post by Cardinals Rule » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:41 pm

Kane Ferdinand is an excellent player. The play-off semi-final turned when he came on, so we owe him a lot, as we do Jake Hyde.

Now, I was going to ask this last week but resisted, but now would really like to know, is there some sort of take over or potential investor in the offing? Dowse has said things along the lines of, “if Rosemary is still here”, “If they want me to stay”, and there should be news next week (or is that about the start date?) and suchlike. Is the uncertainty around the budget related to this, or solely to the uncertainty around the start date and the knock on impact on sponsorship, and timing of season ticket sales? There had been talk of us being well relatively well placed when things restarted, but now we are only able to sign seven players, when everyone else is signing more, and we are starting training later than everybody else (is that just because we have only got eight players, so can’t play five-a-sides?).

Please help,

Confused of Deepest Surrey

Insider

Post by Insider » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:11 pm

Cardinals Rule wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:41 pm
Kane Ferdinand is an excellent player. The play-off semi-final turned when he came on, so we owe him a lot, as we do Jake Hyde.

Now, I was going to ask this last week but resisted, but now would really like to know, is there some sort of take over or potential investor in the offing? Dowse has said things along the lines of, “if Rosemary is still here”, “If they want me to stay”, and there should be news next week (or is that about the start date?) and suchlike. Is the uncertainty around the budget related to this, or solely to the uncertainty around the start date and the knock on impact on sponsorship, and timing of season ticket sales? There had been talk of us being well relatively well placed when things restarted, but now we are only able to sign seven players, when everyone else is signing more, and we are starting training later than everybody else (is that just because we have only got eight players, so can’t play five-a-sides?).

Please help,

Confused of Deepest Surrey
Would be good to have Kane back for sure,,,seems he likes it here. The rest sounds like a board member thinking they ought to be chairman/manager /penalty taker ....standard nonsense that goes on

Stuwfc

Post by Stuwfc » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:32 pm

If dowes can’t sign players and we can’t afford to then where does it put him ? It’s a car crash at our club tbh . The stadium fiasco, covid , I’m starting to feel we’ve had it ! A second spike and its goodnight for us ( and many others ) is football dead ? Watching these soulless games on tv , in empty stadiums ,is like watching someone playing fifa on a game machine . I love this club I know most of you can’t see my reasoning but I don’t want Woking fc just to exist I want to see it grow . Windsor in the fog
Carlshalton on the beach , Everton on a Sunday afternoon. That’s my memory’s and that’s why I wanted success.
So have a go if u want, tell me I’m an idiot . But I really fear for us

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:41 pm

We wont be as fucked as clubs giving 2 year contracts without knowing if they can afford it.
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:18 am

Stuwfc wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:32 pm
If dowes can’t sign players and we can’t afford to then where does it put him ? It’s a car crash at our club tbh . The stadium fiasco, covid , I’m starting to feel we’ve had it ! A second spike and its goodnight for us ( and many others ) is football dead ? Watching these soulless games on tv , in empty stadiums ,is like watching someone playing fifa on a game machine . I love this club I know most of you can’t see my reasoning but I don’t want Woking fc just to exist I want to see it grow . Windsor in the fog
Carlshalton on the beach , Everton on a Sunday afternoon. That’s my memory’s and that’s why I wanted success.
I’ll grant you wish, you’re an idiot.
Woking FC: Purveyors of outstanding highs and lows to me for 43 years.
Https://www.oldfootballgames.co.uk always looking to buy old football games.

AndyT

Post by AndyT » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:57 am

Stuwfc wrote:
You're definitely a Class One Idiot.

Insider

Post by Insider » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:28 am

Stuwfc wrote:
Its far from a car crash and the football club will always be here. Well run in the main but areas to improve on like most clubs

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:45 am

Stuwfc wrote:

Shielding is over now, you can come outside.

The worlds still turning, a few things are different, you’ll find masks are needed when you get your medication but you get used to things.

Good to have your ou totally predictable negativity back on here!!