League Two clubs vote to end season, but League One teams fail to decide

Chobham Card

League Two clubs vote to end season, but League One teams fail to decide

Post by Chobham Card » Fri May 15, 2020 3:12 pm

Via BBC Sport:
League Two's season has been brought to an early conclusion following discussions between clubs and the English Football League.

After an indicative vote by the clubs, the table is set to be decided using a weighted points-per-game method, while the play-offs would be played as usual.

But any move still needs to be ratified by the EFL and Football Association.

Meanwhile, teams in League One will have to meet again on Monday after failing to come to an agreement.

On Thursday, six third-tier clubs had said they were determined to complete their remaining fixtures.

With League One and the National League, both of which feed clubs into League Two, yet to decide how their final tables will look, it means clubs at the top and bottom of League Two will have to wait for their fate.
Most importantly, Stevenage stay bottom using this system.

Chobham Card

Re: League Two clubs vote to end season, but League One teams fail to decide

Post by Chobham Card » Fri May 15, 2020 3:30 pm

Should also have said that clubs voted, 20-4, for no relegation. No idea if the EFL and FA will accept that.

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri May 15, 2020 3:56 pm

The FA told the Premier League the other day that they had to have relegation didn’t they? Maybe they’ll tell the EFL the same?

#strawclutching

darreng

Post by darreng » Fri May 15, 2020 4:27 pm

I'm sure they will see who is bottom and demand it.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Fri May 15, 2020 7:37 pm

Can’t endorse promotions but not relegations.

Lawyers gonna make a killing out of this.

Two of Diamonds

Post by Two of Diamonds » Fri May 15, 2020 7:45 pm

Chobham Card wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 3:30 pm
Should also have said that clubs voted, 20-4, for no relegation[/url]. No idea if the EFL and FA will accept that.
On the basis that Barrow can still go up if no-one comes down, and the NL now have no way of sorting out a play-off winner I suspect it will get through as the 'least bad option'.

Jammy fekkers.

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Sat May 16, 2020 10:42 am

One up from the Conference and no relegation from League Two is the logical option unfortunately.

Since85

Post by Since85 » Sun May 17, 2020 8:30 pm

Put on hold us seeing Satanage soon, grrrrrr!

Dan

Post by Dan » Thu May 21, 2020 2:13 pm

Hahahahaha yes!

Hopefully we'll be allowed to be in football grounds again by the time the Scum fixtures come around

Insider

Post by Insider » Thu May 21, 2020 4:00 pm

The parachute payment they receive alone would be higher than the Woking wage bill...

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire » Thu May 21, 2020 5:34 pm

It’s not a matter of having loads of money from a parachute payment. It’s about the management that have the brains to get the right players playing the right way like Dowse has shown he can do on a tiny budget.
They can have all the money they get and still spend it on dross as last season shows they can’t get them playing together.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Thu May 21, 2020 6:16 pm

Insider wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:00 pm
The parachute payment they receive alone would be higher than the Woking wage bill...
Absolutely, I be livid if we wasted that much on players.

These Parachute payments have been proven to be very good at helping clubs to get back in the Football League.........

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Thu May 21, 2020 7:44 pm

Didn't Macclesfield go up on one of the lowest budgets in the division two years ago?

KT15 Card

Post by KT15 Card » Thu May 21, 2020 11:02 pm

Their Chairman will probably get Westley back for the 14th time. Can't see them doing much next season.

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire » Fri May 22, 2020 9:24 am

It’s interesting that lots of teams that are near the bottom and risk relegation are pointing towards their recent run of X games where they have done quite well. Form for those few games was good and say should reflect more of their season towards weighted PPG. Why?
The obvious reason is they are looking for any excuse to keep them up but the question of, if they are so good why are they in that position? still stands. Over the course of the season they were fairly rubbish and lost more than they won so the last three games doesn’t define your season. The 30 odd before do.

Just because they may have played teams in and around their lowly position and won a few doesn’t make them sudden promotion favourites on form. It just means on that game they were less crap than the others. Perhaps they played like Brazil and played the opposition of the park but a handful of games a season it does not make.

The powers that be are taking the fairest option on the 3/4 season that had been played and form guide of seven whole months.
Tough.

It’s been great this year being able to look up and not down, although a cursory glance over the shoulder was occasionally needed to remind us of the perils of slipping up.
Had it been us in that predicament, would we be grasping at anything passing by to keep us up?

Probably.

northeast card

Post by northeast card » Fri May 22, 2020 12:36 pm

What doesn’t help is the inconsistency and double standards across the different levels. I’m sick of hearing the hypocritical mantra repeated by self-interested premiership clubs and the football media that it is vital to “The Integrity” of the game that the season is played to a conclusion. Notwithstanding that it has everything to do with television money, sponsorship deals and players contracts rather than this sudden concern for integrity to be demonstrated at all costs, it is strange that the same integrity doesn’t matter further down the food chain.

I understand that it might be the case that it is possible to play the premiership to a finish and not practical to do so at a lower level. If that happens there should be consistency across the board from the EFL to step 7 of the pyramid. Whether the season is decided by PPG, Season unfinished with no promotion/relegation or whatever, I believe the same rules and standards should apply at all levels. Why should Jersey Bulls, for example, be denied promotion already achieved on the field when others could be promoted by some arbitrary method that decides the final positions even if some form of play offs take place later?

I’m tired of hearing the whining about any solution to the problem being “unfair” by self interested clubs disadvantaged by that solution. It’s time for football as a whole to see the bigger picture. We are experiencing unprecedented times that nobody could have foreseen. There’s no solution that can be seen as “fair” to everyone. That’s life, it’s bloody unfair sometimes but whining, stubborn self interest and threats of legal action will ultimately solve nothing other than potentially delay the opportunity for us all to watch the game again. It is time for football to come together to find a solution that can be applied consistently across the leagues, accepting that there will be “winners” and “losers” as there are in all walks of life.

I know that the above is unlikely to happen and Most probably I’m a dreamer but I still get sickened by the sheer cant coming from the mouths of so many individuals connected with football’s elite.

AndyT

Post by AndyT » Fri May 22, 2020 2:10 pm

northeast card wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:36 pm
What doesn’t help is the inconsistency and double standards across the different levels. I’m sick of hearing the hypocritical mantra repeated by self-interested premiership clubs and the football media that it is vital to “The Integrity” of the game that the season is played to a conclusion. Notwithstanding that it has everything to do with television money, sponsorship deals and players contracts rather than this sudden concern for integrity to be demonstrated at all costs, it is strange that the same integrity doesn’t matter further down the food chain.

I understand that it might be the case that it is possible to play the premiership to a finish and not practical to do so at a lower level. If that happens there should be consistency across the board from the EFL to step 7 of the pyramid. Whether the season is decided by PPG, Season unfinished with no promotion/relegation or whatever, I believe the same rules and standards should apply at all levels. Why should Jersey Bulls, for example, be denied promotion already achieved on the field when others could be promoted by some arbitrary method that decides the final positions even if some form of play offs take place later?

I’m tired of hearing the whining about any solution to the problem being “unfair” by self interested clubs disadvantaged by that solution. It’s time for football as a whole to see the bigger picture. We are experiencing unprecedented times that nobody could have foreseen. There’s no solution that can be seen as “fair” to everyone. That’s life, it’s bloody unfair sometimes but whining, stubborn self interest and threats of legal action will ultimately solve nothing other than potentially delay the opportunity for us all to watch the game again. It is time for football to come together to find a solution that can be applied consistently across the leagues, accepting that there will be “winners” and “losers” as there are in all walks of life.

I know that the above is unlikely to happen and Most probably I’m a dreamer but I still get sickened by the sheer cant coming from the mouths of so many individuals connected with football’s elite.
Totally agree, whatever solution to end/decide/finish the season was taken it would be impossible to please everyone, some clubs would fall 'foul' of whatever system was used so unfortunately some clubs have to accept what the majority has decided and move on.

To me the decision to end steps 3 to 7's season so quickly and by the way they did it was wrong and extremely harsh on a number of clubs therefore now that League 1 and 2 have agreed on a system (and I suspect the NL will now follow suit) I would like to see the FA reverse their decision to 'Null & Void' steps 3 to 7 and use the same system to finalise the Leagues effected. As you say it would create more consistency across football and reward such clubs as Jersey Bulls, Vauxhall Motors, South Shields etc who had won promotion. Unfortunately we know the FA and the hangers on at the FA Council don't actually give a shit about football at grass roots level so we know it won't happen.

oakie

Post by oakie » Fri May 22, 2020 3:47 pm

I think we have to breakdown the challenges in steps here.

First, is it possible to play further games to enable the season to reach its originally intended conclusion - with issues over socially distanced training, regular C-19 testing required, player contracts ending/ended, playing behind close doors, associated additional financial strains over and above current closedown scenario - I think the answer to this is pretty much universally a NO. Clubs in NL, L2, L1 rely on gate receipts to survive and could not afford to bear all the costs with none of the income, probably also applies to the Championship were pretty much everyone is in debt despite their TV money. NL and L2 have already concluded this, L1 I think will be forced to by the EFL in the next few days which just leaves the Championship who as part of the EFL should of course have the same uniform decision applied across all their divisions.

So if no more games, then second, most difficult decision, should you therefore Null and Void - if so then everyone stays where they are, no promotion, no relegation, no titles awarded and everyone comes back next season (whenever that may be) to start afresh.

If no more games but not Null and Void - then you must decide the final placings across all divisions on the same basis (be that table as is, PPG, weighted PPG or rock/paper/scissors) and award titles, promotions/relegations on the already existing counts up/down (there are no more game so there aren't any playoffs either so straight top 2 up from NL to L2 etc.)

However, given that the Premier League is "special" (in their own mind anyway) and have the financial ability to pay to complete behind closed doors then they have effectively ruled out voiding the season both for themselves and everyone else in the cascade down to NL South/North - they must therefore have relegation PL to the Championship & consequently that up/down cycle should flow through as far as the Conference divisions where some very lucky teams at the bottom of NLN/NLS then benefit from the FA cull of Step 3-7.

If adopted then we have certainty for all clubs from Championship downwards in terms of divisions for next season with slots ear-marked in the Championship for the PL to confirm relegated sides when they conclude their special matches.

We already had the need, courtesy of Bury, to rebalance the divisions to get back to the right numbers in each anyway, even if the season had ended in normal fashion - 1 down from L2 but 2 up from NL. So deal with that, plus filling any other holes arising through insolvency because of Covid etc, as the final step.