Who do we keep?

bobr666

Re: Who do we keep?

Post by bobr666 » Tue May 05, 2020 7:57 pm

Agreed. Gave his all every time I saw him play.

Meerkat

Post by Meerkat » Wed May 06, 2020 1:07 pm

Being a manager will be very tough for the next few months. Who knows when they will get to play, when they have to take players on, and the budgets must be very fluid and dependent on starting dates and a big guess over how many people will actually turn up (looking at those surveys showing lots of folk too scared to go out/send their kids to school).
A very fluid supply side too. Some clubs above may go bust, many will be cutting squad size and budgets, there could be a lot of players moving down the leagues.
And until we reach the starting gate and see how many clubs remain we can’t be sure what league we will be in!

Currycard

Post by Currycard » Thu May 07, 2020 10:52 am

My views on who to keep, maybes and who to release:

KEEP
Casey (Already done very consistent and a solid left back at this level)
Ross (Great season and a key player for us who I think we all would like to keep)
Hyde (Read some comments on here from fans saying they aren't fussed if we keep him but I think he's a class player his hold up play is key to how we play as when he's not on the pitch we just don't keep the ball in those forward areas and he is very good in the air and in and around the box)
Moussa (A real rock at the back and key to a no nonsense defending approach)
Gerring (I need to eat humble pie on this one as at the end of last season I was saying not to sign him as wouldn't be able to handle the step up but he has certainly proved me and many others wrong as he puts in a real shift every week and has been solid this season and his name has popped up in teams of the week various times so seems to fit the Dowse Woking style so I'd keep him for a another season at least).
Cook (I still don't think he's a right back haha but did the job and until proven otherwise can't knock him and was solid last year)
Loza (Class act on his day and Dowse seems to get the best out of him. A real threat at times and if he was more consistent with his end product he would certainly be playing in the league. Adds pace, trickery and can stretch teams which is always needed and rare to find)
Poku (Stop start season but loves a tackle, vocal and a real pest so I'd hope he stays for another season as gives us that bite in midfield)

MAYBES
Tarpey (I'm a fan of Tarps and like his attitude, effort and is a goal threat whenever in and around the box but I don't want him playing wide midfield for us. I feel he is a striker who needs to play in a system with a big man to support in order to get the best out of him. Dowse wasn't playing him up top and I know he was stating last season he was happy out wide but I think he's much more effective playing up top so is a maybe for me as not sure where Dowse would play him)
Ferdinand (Frustrating player for me as I struggle to accept him for who he is as in I'm always thinking there's got to be more to his game but is he effective isn't he effective it's a tough one to call. Great engine, great attitude and breaks the play up really well but I've always felt he needs a classy passing Murtagh, Armani type player next to him in order for him to be effectiv so maybe that's why I'm a maybe with Ferdinand as it's the system that's not helping him and making me expect more from him rather than accepting his game for what it is)
Max K (Again another one who I've said before why have we signed him again but he does pop up at times and has some good performances and scored some crucial goals but I don't know where I'd play him. Conference south level I see him as playing just behind the strikers week in week out and I think that's his position but in the National league he hasn't got the pace/skill to be effective in that position and has played across the midfield in various roles so he's a maybe for me)
Jarvis (Hard to comment really as barely played but certainly a player that would add some class to the team if he's up for returning so a maybe for me as wasn't sure on his plans and if he wanted to commit to Woking longer term)

RELEASE
Howes (Barely played last season and needs games)
Parry (Didn't make many mistakes last year and can't fault his effort but dropped down the pecking order and fell out of favour quickly and spent more games in the stand than he did on the pitch)
Collier (A dowse man but not up to the level of the National league been a good servant to the club though and a great guy)
Donellan (I personally thought he looked much better at right back than in the midfield but doesn't have the passing ability or drive that we need in the team and is very similar to Kane in terms of a defensive midfielder but gave 100%)
Wall (Conference south player for me and on his day he's a threat but not in this league)

cltboy

Post by cltboy » Thu May 07, 2020 12:00 pm

Its going to be tricky and we might be a case of beggars can't be choosers but I would
Keep: Ross; Casey; Cook; Gerring; Moussa; and Hyde
Consider keeping; Tarpey; Ferdinand and Donellan

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Fri May 08, 2020 9:24 am

and keep Poku as he is amazing
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

Derek

Post by Derek » Fri May 08, 2020 4:09 pm

Shame we couldn’t keep Dave lansley, he was ace!

Card Sharp

Post by Card Sharp » Fri May 08, 2020 5:43 pm

Keep

Ross
Casey Cook Moussa
Jarvis Loza Poku
Hyde Tarpey

Maybe
Gerring
Donellan Ferdinand and Max of the last few games, but based on the season as a whole, probably not.

Insider

Post by Insider » Fri May 08, 2020 7:07 pm

Derek wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 4:09 pm
Shame we couldn’t keep Dave lansley, he was ace!
What a player.....tall for his height

wokingsteve

Post by wokingsteve » Sun May 10, 2020 5:19 pm

Everyone while the Govt pay 80% of their wages.

AndyT

Post by AndyT » Mon May 11, 2020 6:37 am

wokingsteve wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 5:19 pm
But aren't they all (except one) out of contract and therefore no longer WFC employees?

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Mon May 11, 2020 8:10 am

Exactly. Think of all the other clubs in the league with players on contract beyond this season.

May just be Casey on the payroll til xmas
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

Insider

Post by Insider » Mon May 11, 2020 9:01 am

AndyT wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 6:37 am
wokingsteve wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 5:19 pm
But aren't they all (except one) out of contract and therefore no longer WFC employees?
Players likely will be on football contracts when playing part time ( even casey) which means they wont be paid for two months when not playing ....most clubs who succumb to agents and are full time have to put players on 12 months .

jonwoozley

Post by jonwoozley » Mon May 11, 2020 12:58 pm

Kingfield Ender wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 9:24 am
and keep Poku as he is amazing
He switched off for Wealdstone in the play off semi final.
Dual meditates,
Non habetis argentum.

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Mon May 11, 2020 1:34 pm

Tarpey is an interesting one. When a good player becomes available and you’re operating on a limited budget - sometimes the approach has to be sign him up and we’ll fit him in the team somehow.

For those who have been saying play him up front - how?

He can’t really play up front on his own as wont be able to hold up the ball (and you’d have to drop Hyde).

The complaint most the season has been our weak midfield. Playing 4-4-2 would only further weaken the centre of midfield. Hardly anyone plays 4-4-2 anymore.

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Mon May 11, 2020 2:44 pm

Thought it may be of interest that teams are starting to announce their retained lists. Ebbsfleet, Chesterfield, and Solihull have joined Torquay in announcing their released players. Aswad Thomas and Shwan Jalal are ex-Cards confirmed to be leaving.

That's on top of Barnet making their entire squad avaliable as per last month's announcement. Boreham Wood haven't quite done the same, but the chairman has said that "Boreham Wood in 2020 is over" - seems unlikely they'll have players if that's the case.

The majority are waiting to announce. Wrexham have actively stated that they've postponed their list until things are clearer.

In the VNN/VNS, it seems much harder for clubs to make announcements. Chelmsford have been drip-feeding player departures, but the vast majority of clubs have gone into relative radio silence since the end of the season was confirmed.

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire » Mon May 11, 2020 3:41 pm

That may explain Loza’s comment on twitter today if Chelmsford have released players. Their loss our gain? I’d like to think so.

If Borehamwood have released Tshimanga I’d have him over here like a rocket.

KT15 Card

Post by KT15 Card » Mon May 11, 2020 3:48 pm

Wouldn't mind Nathan Blissett down here. Vaughan is an experienced right back too if we fancied something different!

Nonsense Potter

Post by Nonsense Potter » Mon May 11, 2020 3:51 pm

Spitfire wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 3:41 pm
That may explain Loza’s comment on twitter today if Chelmsford have released players. Their loss our gain? I’d like to think so.

Time for Murtagh to come back too.
Scorer of possibly the greatest goal in the history of the Woking FC Supporters' team

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Mon May 11, 2020 3:55 pm

Spitfire wrote:

Loza expects certain behaviours from clubs but doesn't abide by them himself.

- He jumped ship to Billericay for the money.
- He kept it secret he was joining Chelmsford until after the Watford game.

However, i'd like to think 'their loss our gain' too. Would be very pleased if we kept him.

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Mon May 11, 2020 4:01 pm

Nonsense Potter wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 3:51 pm
Spitfire wrote:

Time for Murtagh to come back too.
And Ricko!

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire » Mon May 11, 2020 4:06 pm

Red and White Army wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 3:55 pm
Spitfire wrote:

Loza expects certain behaviours from clubs but doesn't abide by them himself.

- He jumped ship to Billericay for the money.
- He kept it secret he was joining Chelmsford until after the Watford game.

However, i'd like to think 'their loss our gain' too. Would be very pleased if we kept him.
I thought it was Billericay after Watford as Maidstone sold him and was only in loan. Then Billericay had their usual end of season clear out and as he lives in East Anglia took Chelmsford up to gain a bit of family time back? Could have that wrong but either way I’d be happy to see him for a third season at Woking.

Meerkat

Post by Meerkat » Tue May 12, 2020 11:38 am

So when are clubs going to start signing players? Anyone but the heavily backed clubs won’t want to sign anyone until they have a date when the crowds are going to be back or the FA pay the clubs to play behind close doors.

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Tue May 12, 2020 12:15 pm

Meerkat wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:38 am
So when are clubs going to start signing players? Anyone but the heavily backed clubs won’t want to sign anyone until they have a date when the crowds are going to be back or the FA pay the clubs to play behind close doors.
Until there's a concrete start date for the season, I'm not sure how anyone can. I don't think we'll have that for months.

Meerkat

Post by Meerkat » Tue May 12, 2020 1:08 pm

Will there even be a pre season? Clubs will want to start competition as soon as the go ahead is given and not take on players until that is a pretty solid date.

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Wed May 13, 2020 2:17 pm

Spitfire wrote:
Like clockwork. You're half right at least, but if he's already had offers, they can't have come from us can they?