Who do we keep?

Hampshire Card

Who do we keep?

Post by Hampshire Card » Mon May 04, 2020 4:29 pm

Which players do you think we should keep and which ones should we move on?

cardtrick

Re: Who do we keep?

Post by cardtrick » Mon May 04, 2020 4:37 pm

For when?

August?
September?
January next year?

Derek

Post by Derek » Mon May 04, 2020 4:39 pm

cardtrick wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 4:37 pm
For when?

August?
September?
January next year?
October

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire » Mon May 04, 2020 4:57 pm

Keep the pies
Get rid of the soggy chips and over priced burger van.

Bring in a bottle bar and outdoor merchandise stand up by the LGS

Hampshire Card

Post by Hampshire Card » Mon May 04, 2020 5:03 pm

Spitfire wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 4:57 pm
Keep the pies
Get rid of the soggy chips and over priced burger van.

Agreed

Insider

Post by Insider » Mon May 04, 2020 6:45 pm

Depends on what offers the better players get elsewhere so probably dont get to choose apart from Casey....generally about the dollar

Bobbo

Post by Bobbo » Mon May 04, 2020 9:53 pm

Spitfire wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 4:57 pm
Also in Kingfield Enders best dreams!
80)

Quod non necat emunit.

James Wade

Post by James Wade » Tue May 05, 2020 8:23 am

Will also depend on the financial situation of other clubs.

There are many absolute basket cases out there (Fylde etc.) who will not have anywhere near as much money to throw around if and once the new season starts.

As we are generally well run there could be a possibility we can compete more as I think players wages will reduce in the new "normal".....

Spitfire

Who do we keep?

Post by Spitfire » Tue May 05, 2020 8:54 am

James Wade wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 8:23 am

As we are generally well run there could be a possibility we can compete more as I think players wages will reduce in the new "normal".....
Got to challenge that last bit I’m afraid.
What are you basing players wages decreasing on? As of the end of May, many of those players will not be earning anything until football restarts because they are out of contract. They will still have mortgages, rents, credit cards, families and life to pay for with nothing coming in. They will need to cover off that debt somehow. Imagine if they can’t start back for six months... ?

I certainly agree that some clubs will have less money to slosh around and therefore wont be able to offer stupid amounts and over inflate the market but, I think that will only affect the quality of player they can attract rather than what the player will demand. What you may see is the standard of players at clubs rapidly decreasing and them struggling to survive at that level.

Human nature to take as much as possible and look after yourself financially when you can. This pandemic has proved just that!

Insider

Post by Insider » Tue May 05, 2020 9:41 am

Spitfire wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 8:54 am
James Wade wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 8:23 am

Got to challenge that last bit I’m afraid.
What are you basing players wages decreasing on? As of the end of May, many of those players will not be earning anything until football restarts because they are out of contract. They will still have mortgages, rents, credit cards, families and life to pay for with nothing coming in. They will need to cover off that debt somehow. Imagine if they can’t start back for six months... ?

I certainly agree that some clubs will have less money to slosh around and therefore wont be able to offer stupid amounts and over inflate the market but, I think that will only affect the quality of player they can attract rather than what the player will demand. What you may see is the standard of players at clubs rapidly decreasing and them struggling to survive at that level.

Human nature to take as much as possible and look after yourself financially when you can. This pandemic has proved just that!
There are so many players out there whose 1 year contracts have or are expiring and clubs financial situation both in leage 2 and conference would suggest that these players will not be getting an increase. Almost certainy contract offers if at all will likely be lower and whereas in the past players might intimate they can get more elsewhere it wont be the case. Notts county and Stockport with their personal funding will take the cream if they want but if football at this level is closed doors til January players will be getting paid less imo

GlenH

Post by GlenH » Tue May 05, 2020 10:39 am

For what it's worth, based on an 'as normal' start to the season, I would want to keep the following.

GK - Craig Ross
DF - Jack Cook, Josh Casey, Ben Gerring, Moussa Diarra
MF - Kane Ferdinand, Godfrey Poku
FW - Jake Hyde, Matt Jarvis

I feel like that gives us a very solid spine to build on with a combination of loans, youngsters and maybe 4-5 new additions taking us up to a squad of 20ish. Although the exact number tends to fluctuate as injuries/suspensions kick in.

I could see value in almost all those I've left out. Max's form was really starting to improve and he now does work with the academy so adds plenty, but perhaps has bigger ambitions still than being a squad player. Tarpey's experience is valuable and he's great on his day but the goals had started to dry up, he can't play on plastic and he's potentially one of the bigger earners (complete guess). I was torn so that might be harsh. Collier is one of Dowse's favourites and a great utility player but it has to be considered a luxury to sign players specifically for cover in the current climate. Donnellan remains too similar to what we have for me and I'd like to see whatever budget we have used to bring a bit more variety to that midfield. Howes hasn't worked out and likely won't want to stay as Ross' number two. Parry has shown flashes but is very much third choice and has struggled with injuries I believe. Neither Wall nor Gray have done enough in their albeit limited playing time IMO.

Would imagine that both Adam Guest and Jayden Wareham would be added to that list along with maybe one or two other young players. It's been a shame not to have seen anything of Jack Skinner this season. Out of the current loanees Jamar Loza would be a good one to pick up but appreciate he plays the same position as Jarvis and while Jarvis wouldn't play every game it would be another luxury signing rather than a 'must have'. I'd been pretty impressed with Ben Dempsey but I imagine Charlton have ambitions to get him a League club next season.

Tried to be as realistic as I could given the circumstances. Naturally, accept things could change tenfold based on if/when the league actually restarts and in what conditions.

Nonsense Potter

Post by Nonsense Potter » Tue May 05, 2020 10:54 am

I’d imagine Hyde and Gerring would get offers from elsewhere. Gerring in particular seems to get in the NLP team of the week very often, when personally I can’t remember a time he’s outperformed Moussa. Hyde’s goals to games ratio will have people looking at him on that alone and based on his CV, you have to expect he’s still got ambitions to play full time.

Would generally agree with your assessment, aside from wanting to keep Loza. We don’t have a lot of pace and he adds that. He’s also played a lot of his best football at Woking, so might show some additional loyalty to the club.

Would like to replicate what we did with Poku a little more for next season - as in cherry-picking the best players from the league below. Giving them a platform to try the national league, whilst part time. Someone mentioned Billy Knott elsewhere and if he could get back to his best, he’d be exactly what we need to remain competitive against clubs outspending us three or four times over.
Scorer of possibly the greatest goal in the history of the Woking FC Supporters' team

GlenH

Post by GlenH » Tue May 05, 2020 11:07 am

I would hope Gerring would be keen to stay. I imagine the part-time suits him relatively well as he has his own business and it makes the travel manageable. We've also taken him from an average NLS player (Truro, not really used at Billericay etc.) to being a NLP regular for the first time. Only reason I think he'd leave is if he got an offer closer to home - although he's probably burnt the Torquay bridge.

Suspect you're right with Hyde, although again hopeful that if a league club didn't come in, he'd be more than happy to stay as we've done a lot to rejuvenate a career which was on the way down.

Agree NLS could be a good spotting ground for players. We need to be clever with our signings as we're always going to be outmanoeuvred trying to get players from the EFL and even from other NL sides. There are certainly gems to be found there, as demonstrated by how well the likes of Reid, Hyde, Murphy and Tshimanga have done in the scoring charts this season.

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Tue May 05, 2020 12:43 pm

I'm hopeful that our part-time status will play into our hands. I'm not sure how forthcoming high-wage offers will be in the current climate - unless players get a great offer, it might mean an effective pay cut (or the sacrifice of progress in the career they'll lean on after football) for some if they choose to go full-time. Wages coming down, and many in the game thing they'll have to, would play into our hands a bit.

We're also the highest placed part-time team in the country, and most of the squad seems to have bought into the ethos, the community, the atmosphere. It's a very good time to be a Woking player, and hopefully that will attract the more ambitious part-timers who could improve us.

So, theoretically, who we keep for next season is dependent on who we can improve on. Especially given Dowse's talk about fighting for a contract!

There are good players at the sides going down (if they go down). Chorley have kept the same number of clean sheets as us despite having virtually no attacking quality of any kind - I'd look at players like Matt Challoner and Matt Unwin (not over Rossy though). Reversing that logic, Danny Whitehall got 13 goals for a Maidenhead side that wasn't very good at having the ball or defending, and if we could get the Bernard Mensah who took the piss out of us for the Sh*ts in 17/18 he'd be welcome.

It doesn't seem like the top scorers in the NLS are quite as prolific last season, but there are young players at part time teams doing great things there. Jonah Ayunga at Havant and Joe Iafacino at St. Albans are tied on 17, and they're 21/22 respectively. Really intrigued by Iafacino, who's scored 41% of St. Albans' league goals. (The next highest goalscorer for St. Albans is one Jason Banton, on 5.)

Players are already leaving their clubs too. Just to stir the pot a bit, Billy Knott liked a tweet asking Woking to bring him back. Players are retiring too - Jack King retired this week - so that's going to leave holes in teams that could affect their plans.

All of this is obviously just fun/conjecture without a budget to play with, or any football to play!
GlenH wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:07 am
There are certainly gems to be found there, as demonstrated by how well the likes of Reid, Hyde, Murphy and Tshimanga have done in the scoring charts this season.
As an unrelated aside, Torquay has managed to keep its entire squad together with the exception of two of its best players, Reid and Kalala, both of whom have agents that believe they can secure their clients a Football League club.

GlenH

Post by GlenH » Tue May 05, 2020 1:18 pm

Saw the article about Torquay - losing those two will be a big blow. Worth remember they've not had a great season considering expectations, many expected them to be top seven, so will be interesting to see how they cope as a result.

On a couple of the others - Mensah I believe signed an 18-month contract with Gloucester in January. No guarantees he'll still be there come next season of course but that's quite a fall from L1 Bristol Rovers in the space of a couple of years. Knott was officially released by Chelmsford this week so is available. The talent is there but it's been several years now since he's shown it. Whitehall is a good shout, particularly if we lost Hyde, and despite a very poor showing at Kingfield there are a couple of other decent players at Maidenhead who would be worth a look. Depends what's decided on promotion/relegation from our league. I can see a scenario where everyone stays put.

neverlostatwembley3

Post by neverlostatwembley3 » Tue May 05, 2020 2:38 pm

GlenH wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 10:39 am
For what it's worth, based on an 'as normal' start to the season, I would want to keep the following.

GK - Craig Ross
Agree with this although (and this will probably be an unpopular opinion), I wouldn't be that disappointed if we didn't retain Hyde. Obviously we would need a replacement but I've never been that convinced by Hyde despite his goals.

Hampshire Card

Post by Hampshire Card » Tue May 05, 2020 3:14 pm

neverlostatwembley3 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:38 pm
GlenH wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 10:39 am

GK - Craig Ross
Agree with this although (and this will probably be an unpopular opinion), I wouldn't be that disappointed if we didn't retain Hyde. Obviously we would need a replacement but I've never been that convinced by Hyde despite his goals.
Have to disagree with you here. We’ve had a few strikers in the Dowson era, and none of them have compared to Hyde. We saw with Meite that our whole play style changes with Hyde out the team, his hold up play and finishing is among the best at this level, he scores goals in big games too such as Wealdstone and Swindon. We haven’t won a single game this season when Hyde is not in the squad, I don’t see us getting a better CF

GlenH

Post by GlenH » Tue May 05, 2020 3:24 pm

Have to agree with Hampshire Card, Hyde was an easy one for me. He may well have got 20 goals this season if it had been completed and only Rendell has really delivered like that for us in this league since... Justin Richards? Hyde might not be perfect, he might have games where he struggles or isn't involved as much as you'd like, but I'd say he's been absolutely crucial to our success under Dowson and I think we'd struggle to line up a host of superior replacements. Always happy to be proved wrong on that last point of course!

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Tue May 05, 2020 4:16 pm

I’m just gonna be happy just to keep as many of the faces, known or unknown that I see around the ground on a match day.

Let’s get the more important shit out of the way, then worry about who’s going to stay.

A slightly unedifying thread I think.

Be careful folks.

GlenH

Post by GlenH » Tue May 05, 2020 4:22 pm

Adrian wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 4:16 pm
I’m just gonna be happy just to keep as many of the faces, known or unknown that I see around the ground on a match day.

Let’s get the more important shit out of the way, then worry about who’s going to stay.

Be careful folks.
Apologies if this sounds uncaring, it's not meant to, but I think that this goes without saying. At a time when there is little football or sport to speak of in the world, speculating on players and potential new signings offers some much needed escapism and connectivity to the thing we love. Yes, it all comes with a caveat, everyone knows that, and if your view is that it's inappropriate or insensitive and you don't wish to participate in any wider conversations about the future of the club then there is no obligation to do so. It just felt like a relief for me personally to actually talk about something other than Coronavirus for 5 minutes and the wife really doesn't care about whether Jake Hyde is any good. Sorry for any offence caused!

Insider

Post by Insider » Tue May 05, 2020 4:41 pm

GlenH wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 4:22 pm
Adrian wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 4:16 pm

Be careful folks.
Apologies if this sounds uncaring, it's not meant to, but I think that this goes without saying. At a time when there is little football or sport to speak of in the world, speculating on players and potential new signings offers some much needed escapism and connectivity to the thing we love. Yes, it all comes with a caveat, everyone knows that, and if your view is that it's inappropriate or insensitive and you don't wish to participate in any wider conversations about the future of the club then there is no obligation to do so. It just felt like a relief for me personally to actually talk about something other than Coronavirus for 5 minutes and the wife really doesn't care about whether Jake Hyde is any good. Sorry for any offence caused!
Nobody else has taken offence keep this thread to football as its intended and move the politics and life thoughts elsewhere

Cardinals Rule

Post by Cardinals Rule » Tue May 05, 2020 5:46 pm

I agree with the comments in support of Jake Hyde. He can't play on plastic, has had injuries and has not been number one penalty taker for us, and yet has scored a lot of goals, including big goals, over the past couple of seasons. We have seen so many strikers over the years who have struggled to score, that it suggests Hyde is something special.
We also need pace and service so would love to keep Loza, and to keep Matt Jarvis would be fantastic.
This does all feel academic at the moment with all that's going on and the uncertainty - plus we also need the ground not to fall down or be condemned! -, and I really feel for the players whose livelihood this is and who need to pay their bills, but it is nice to focus on something else sometimes where possible.

KT15 Card

Post by KT15 Card » Tue May 05, 2020 5:47 pm

How unthoughtful talking about football on a football forum. You should hang your heads in shame.

On the subject of Hyde, I'd love to have him here for another season. Yes he can be frustrating at times, but why on earth would you get rid of someone who scores goals for you. His hold up play is exceptional as well. For every Hyde, there's a Ben Pattie or a Daniel Carr. The grass isn't always greener.

kansasCard

Post by kansasCard » Tue May 05, 2020 6:34 pm

Talking about letting Dave Tarpey go is bonkers. I know he can't play on plastic. First full season back after long injury. Got through it. No further problems. Dave Tarpey is a keeper for me. (No Dowse - not literally)
This space intentionally left blank

Insider

Post by Insider » Tue May 05, 2020 6:37 pm

kansasCard wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 6:34 pm
Talking about letting Dave Tarpey go is bonkers. I know he can't play on plastic. First full season back after long injury. Got through it. No further problems. Dave Tarpey is a keeper for me. (No Dowse - not literally)
Agree 100%