Fans' Player of the Season

bobr666

Fans' Player of the Season

Post by bobr666 » Fri May 01, 2020 10:21 am

Fans' Player of the Season voting is now open! Head over to the Trust website to get more information and vote for your favourite! Voting closes at midnight on 15th May.

TWR

Re: Fans' Player of the Season

Post by TWR » Fri May 01, 2020 2:39 pm

Hard choice. And especially having not seen us play for what now seems like forever.

For what he offered when he was allowed to play, I'd say Poku, not necessarily for being the best or having the biggest impact in big games etc, but for the effort and energy and fight he showed. The type of player he is and how he played when he did was exactly what was needed in the middle of the park to stabilise things.
"Nunca Dejes De Creer..."

fatmaninthekitchen

Post by fatmaninthekitchen » Fri May 01, 2020 3:13 pm

Jack Cook or Moussa - Jack never complained once, despite ridiculously unfair assessments of his performances at RB by some on here - he did very well indeed , helped us clear crosses, corners and long throws ,which can never be quantified at the end of the day, got fwd a lot and actually got better crosses in than Josh ever does. Moussa is a very good footballer, he is not just a heading/kicking machine that Ben is - although Ben was pretty good at what he did , so that is not a criticism of him. Great season chaps, bloody well done

TWR

Post by TWR » Fri May 01, 2020 3:18 pm

Fair play. They were my other options really - Jack and Moussa. Not sure it can go to many other people really.
"Nunca Dejes De Creer..."

bobr666

Post by bobr666 » Fri May 01, 2020 3:30 pm

After the first wave of voting, Craig Ross is well ahead, but plenty of time yet....

GlenH

Post by GlenH » Fri May 01, 2020 3:44 pm

I would say the entire regular back five - Ross, Cook, Casey, Gerring, Diarra - all had good to great seasons. Considering this is the same back five which finished the previous season at a lower level and two of them had no experience at this level before that's a massive success story. I'd also throw Jake Hyde into the mix. He wouldn't get my vote but 15 goals (plus any others he claimed) in a shortened season is a great effort and the difference between us being where we are and battling relegation.

rocknut

Post by rocknut » Fri May 01, 2020 4:16 pm

Jack Cook and Moussa had a good season but im going for Rossie by a short head.

Insider

Post by Insider » Fri May 01, 2020 4:24 pm

Moose Ross Cook Poku Casey in that order for me

Cardinals Rule

Post by Cardinals Rule » Fri May 01, 2020 6:34 pm

Jake Hyde for me, although loads of players have done well for us and, obviously, Loza is wonderful and Matt Jarvis is a genius.

Card Sharp

Post by Card Sharp » Fri May 01, 2020 6:34 pm

fatmaninthekitchen wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:13 pm
Jack Cook or Moussa - Jack never complained once, despite ridiculously unfair assessments of his performances at RB by some on here - he did very well indeed , helped us clear crosses, corners and long throws ,which can never be quantified at the end of the day, got fwd a lot and actually got better crosses in than Josh ever does. Moussa is a very good footballer, he is not just a heading/kicking machine that Ben is - although Ben was pretty good at what he did , so that is not a criticism of him. Great season chaps, bloody well done
Jack Cook for me. Right back is not his best position, and that was the main issue, but he kept at it. I maintain he is our best centre back. His attitude and application should be praised.

Poku, Ross, Moussa compete for 2nd and 3rd. Not sure anyone else deserves a mention as player of the season for me, but a very good effort in general.

Card Sharp

Post by Card Sharp » Fri May 01, 2020 6:35 pm

Card Sharp wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:34 pm
fatmaninthekitchen wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:13 pm
Jack Cook for me. Right back is not his best position, and that was the main issue, but he kept at it. I maintain he is our best centre back. His attitude and application should be praised.

Poku, Ross, Moussa compete for 2nd and 3rd. Not sure anyone else deserves a mention as 'player of the season' for me, but a very good effort in general.

kansasCard

Post by kansasCard » Sat May 02, 2020 2:17 am

Cook for me. After all the stick I was giving Dowse for not signing a RB. Cook never complained, never gave up and grew into the role.
If he starts there next season - no complaints from me. Ross and Poku 2nd and 3rd 3rd and 2nd a short neck between them all.
Couldn't complain either if Casey / Gerring / Moussa gets it. Then again give it to Jarvis as a sweetner for him signing up again.
This space intentionally left blank

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Sat May 02, 2020 1:00 pm

I think there's an argument, in terms of individual players, for Ross earning us more points than anyone else this season. Chorley (A), Wrexham (H), Bromley (H), County (A) all stick out as huge contributions. Has to be my vote.

That said, I think about a third of the squad has a shout. What a brilliant season it's been.

JAM

Post by JAM » Mon May 04, 2020 4:30 pm

personal opinion obviously (as most football is) but I cant believe that Casey has even been considered by some as POTS. Not in my top 5, which from back to front would be Ross, Cook, Diarra, Poku and Hyde, for all the reasons that have been mentioned above.

For me, Ross just edges it over Cook, again for the reasons mentioned above.

In saying that, it has more of a fantastic team effort from the boys this season rather than one outstanding player

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire » Mon May 04, 2020 5:03 pm

My top 5 are the same as Jams but not in the same order or reflective below.

Ross - most consistent
Cook - most improved
Diarra - such a gentleman and always motm consideration
Poku - all the commitment you’d ever want from a player
Hyde - 17 goals not a full season and missed plenty of games. What could have been for him.....

All in all every player has shown they are good enough to play at this level except perhaps Christ Tehi and his brief cameo v Bromley

bobr666

Post by bobr666 » Mon May 04, 2020 8:30 pm

Latest update on voting - Craig Ross has been in a strong position, since the start, but Moussa is beginning to gain....
(we're having some technical issues with logging in from iPhones at the moment.).

JAM

Post by JAM » Tue May 05, 2020 10:36 am

Spitfire, you must be a fantastic judge of a player when you think someone who played 20 mins tops for a team that he only joined the day before isnt good enough

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire » Tue May 05, 2020 7:04 pm

JAM wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 10:36 am
Spitfire, you must be a fantastic judge of a player when you think someone who played 20 mins tops for a team that he only joined the day before isnt good enough
Mad isn’t it? I went down the line of players who had been with us for the season and played continually rather than a brief cameo and then went to Tonbridge Angels and um, disappeared.
Playing Nathan up top ahead of him was the final nail in the coffin in that player review for me.
Shows what can be done in a 20 minutes spell when another day before signing comes in, sets one up and scores one themselves and while carrying a hernia.
He even goes ahead in the standings but didn’t play a season so can’t be selected.

Harsh I know but I can sleep easy on that decision. 😉.

Card Sharp

Post by Card Sharp » Tue May 05, 2020 7:22 pm

So why pick on Tiehi....christ...the poor fella.

If we look at players who have been with us since the start of the season, at least 5 have proven they are not good enough for this level. Not their fault, I'm not good enough to be the MD of where I work.

Insider

Post by Insider » Tue May 05, 2020 11:09 pm

Card Sharp wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 7:22 pm
So why pick on Tiehi....christ...the poor fella.

If we look at players who have been with us since the start of the season, at least 5 have proven they are not good enough for this level. Not their fault, I'm not good enough to be the MD of where I work.
Give us the at least five then from the start ....just for interest

JAM

Post by JAM » Wed May 06, 2020 9:13 am

Spitfire, so Christ wasnt good enough as you are comparing him with someone who once played for England. I agree that he seemed a bit of a panic buy, and the fact that he came on before Hodges that night seemed a bit strange. With regards to Nathan playing up front at the end of that game, 1) we didnt have any strikers as it was on plastic and 2) I believe he has played there before in his career

KT15 Card

Post by KT15 Card » Wed May 06, 2020 9:36 am

In regards to Christ, he's a midfielder isn't he? No different to putting Hodges or Donnellan up front (that would be funny). Collier seemed to be the only logical solution, although not one I agree with. We should never be going into a big game with Bromley with no strikers, error by management and hopefully we will be going to places like Sutton and Bromley with some decent firepower next season! Yes Meite was injured also, but I'd put Collier ahead of him.

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire » Wed May 06, 2020 10:20 am

JAM wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 9:13 am
Spitfire, so Christ wasnt good enough as you are comparing him with someone who once played for England. I agree that he seemed a bit of a panic buy, and the fact that he came on before Hodges that night seemed a bit strange. With regards to Nathan playing up front at the end of that game, 1) we didnt have any strikers as it was on plastic and 2) I believe he has played there before in his career
Looks that way doesn’t it. Equal(ish) game time and one played incredibly well and the other didn’t in his brief show.
It’s a comparison to the entire squad and Jarvis was a touch of class and Christ, I’m afraid, for me wasn’t. I suggest he wasn’t for the management either as he wasn’t seen again.

Yes Nathan did play up front (For Dartford seems to ring a bell?) but he doesn’t anymore does he. As you point out Hodges could have been a better choice but that’s why we aren’t the managers of WFC. Just as well really.

The thread is about player of the season and as I said “all the players have proved they deserve to be at this level except for Christ in his brief cameo ..... etc” which shows how well they have played individually and as a unit over the course of a season. Not a fleeting moment. All five of my POTS contenders have been consistent throughout the season and not just one game. It’s a tough call between them.

Perhaps we should change the title of the thread for you?
Players who should be player of the season but played less than 30 minutes.
I’m more interested as to why you think he is worthy of higher acclaim? What did you see in him?

P.S. Christ still doesn’t win the new award. That clearly goes to Jarvis. But just my opinion as we are still allowed them in lockdown.

JAM

Post by JAM » Wed May 06, 2020 10:35 am

on your points
Of course Jarvis was a touch of class, he played over 200 games in the PL, bit harsh to compare him with someone who played 50 odd times for Le Havre 2nd team and for Ivory Coast U20s (according to Wiki)
I assume that Nathan was played up front over Hodges (or any 1 else for that matter) due to height reasons and being (hopefully) an outlet. At the time, we had no strikers, Meite would have been the option but was unfit, Tyreke would also been an option but got injured on the Saturday before, we were 1 down to a team at the top of the league, and I presume Dowse thought he would gamble to try and get back into the game as we had nothing to lose.
I just think its a bit harsh to just single out Christ in your comment. I totally agree that as a team to finish where we did was a fantastic achievement. At least we agree on the same five in contention for POTS.
No need to change the title of the thread. and I dont hold him in 'high acclaim', as I said just think its a bit harsh to single him out. I would have liked to see more of him to form a better opinion, but as you say that is not our job
as for opinions, that is what football is based on

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire » Wed May 06, 2020 10:52 am

It is indeed. For what it’s worth I probably rate him just above Makoma as at least he knew which way to pass