Your Top 5 Woking Moments

Kanu's Nan

Re: Your Top 5 Woking Moments

Post by Kanu's Nan » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:00 pm

jonwoozley wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:32 am
1. Terry Worsfold's header at West Brom when you realised they weren't coming back from that.
2. Buzaglo equalising at 3-3 against Windsor in the FA Cup, there was only going to be one winner in extra time.
3. Buzaglo equalising at Whyteleafe in May 87, with 10 mins left to clinch the title. Our first title in our real centenary season.
4. Thommo in the last minute.
5. Hyde's winner at home to Wealdstone in the play-off, we might not have to go to Concord and Hungerford again.
Ok these aren't in any order but they're the five.

- Fielder's goal at Wembley. I missed Jinky's, nobody had sat down so I couldn't see (because I was a child, not because I'm a midget. Before KE says it). Still almost perplexes me that some people will never see their team play at Wembley and I got to do it repeatedly despite supporting a little club.
- Jinky's equaliser against Coventry at Kingfield. I genuinely remember the wooden stand shaking. I thought we were indestructible back then.
- Staying up on the last day against Telford. The opposite end of the spectrum to everything I had come to know as a Woking fan. Again the vivid memories, I can picture being on Moaners as the hush went over the ground following "There's been a goal at Nuneaton" and then seeing someone on the CLT start going bananas as news of the second Farnborough goal spread. I also remember a couple of people singing "1-0 to the Stevenage" on the KRE in the first half and getting a cuff off a few others!
- Title win in 2012, the whole season obviously but specifically Gez's winner against Tonbridge at Kingfield. From there it was obvious it was a matter of when, not if. Dartford really did push us all the way as Plug said.
- The win at Swindon, which I wasn't even on this continent for. Tracking it via Twitter and what's app whilst away with work in California was pretty fucking stressful! Still love watching the clip of the goal where it just focuses the camera on the away end.
self appointed protector of the downtrodden

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:20 pm

I'll never ever forget FLAKEDANCING
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

AndyT

Post by AndyT » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:29 pm

Kingfield Ender wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:20 pm
I'll never ever forget FLAKEDANCING
that was a nightmare moment :O( one is scared for life having witnessed that.............

AndyT

Post by AndyT » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:31 pm

Kingfield Ender wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:50 am
If I was allowed 6 then my number 6 would be Skippy falling off his bike while shitfaced
but isn't that a regular occurrence!!!!

H Card

Post by H Card » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:17 pm

Still love watching the clip of the goal where it just focuses the camera on the away end.
This is my go to clip when I am pissed off with a poor result etc, a small piece of ''Why we bother'. Might view it now as the world goes to shit around us.

Singaporecard

Post by Singaporecard » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:23 pm

Kanu's Nan wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:00 pm
jonwoozley wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:32 am
1. Terry Worsfold's header at West Brom when you realised they weren't coming back from that.
2. Buzaglo equalising at 3-3 against Windsor in the FA Cup, there was only going to be one winner in extra time.
3. Buzaglo equalising at Whyteleafe in May 87, with 10 mins left to clinch the title. Our first title in our real centenary season.
4. Thommo in the last minute.
5. Hyde's winner at home to Wealdstone in the play-off, we might not have to go to Concord and Hungerford again.
Ok these aren't in any order but they're the five.

- Fielder's goal at Wembley. I missed Jinky's, nobody had sat down so I couldn't see (because I was a child, not because I'm a midget. Before KE says it). Still almost perplexes me that some people will never see their team play at Wembley and I got to do it repeatedly despite supporting a little club.
- Jinky's equaliser against Coventry at Kingfield. I genuinely remember the wooden stand shaking. I thought we were indestructible back then.
- Staying up on the last day against Telford. The opposite end of the spectrum to everything I had come to know as a Woking fan. Again the vivid memories, I can picture being on Moaners as the hush went over the ground following "There's been a goal at Nuneaton" and then seeing someone on the CLT start going bananas as news of the second Farnborough goal spread. I also remember a couple of people singing "1-0 to the Stevenage" on the KRE in the first half and getting a cuff off a few others!
- Title win in 2012, the whole season obviously but specifically Gez's winner against Tonbridge at Kingfield. From there it was obvious it was a matter of when, not if. Dartford really did push us all the way as Plug said.
- The win at Swindon, which I wasn't even on this continent for. Tracking it via Twitter and what's app whilst away with work in California was pretty fucking stressful! Still love watching the clip of the goal where it just focuses the camera on the away end.
On Telford that might have been me! Was standing on Clt with friends and my dad and tuned into a portable radio through headphones (was before internet commentary I reckon). Remember going potty and getting strange looks until the rest of the ground (bar the kre) realised.
If my memory serves me right was Geoff pitcher who scored for Farnborough at nuneaton. Cracking player although only played for us briefly

Some great memories in all the posts above!

Singaporecard

Post by Singaporecard » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:48 pm

Slight ramble but here’s mine in addition to the great ones above

- playing Truro at home when we were presented the title. Remember looking down from lgs with such a good feel good factor around the ground with local kids teams warming up and a buzz around the ground
- recent one but losing 4-0 at home to notts county. Unexpected choice I know but was back on holiday in Uk (back every year or so) and took my sons (aged 8 and 11). Dowse encouraged the players to sign autographs and then invited the boys into changing room after. We didn’t go as didn’t want to intrude after the loss but dowse sent a superb email to them afterwards to thank them for their support. Amazing gesture which Made the boys year and reminded me how special club is - also dowse passion in the community fantastic
- macclesfield. Truly Epic. Darren Adams
- stevenage away (could have picked any of a number) but moment Darran hay (true legend!) scored in trophy semi and did his dance on his shirt. Yes they equalised but didnt matter due to Watford
- Coventry. Was at Uni at time and best mate was a Coventry fan. Had some good fun over those games - including meeting the squad in a nightclub in Coventry after the abandoned game. The bar was drunk dry...

Meerkat

Post by Meerkat » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:57 pm

More a ‘memorable’ game than a ‘top moment’ but that away game at Slough.
Ellis?? getting sent off after being substituted when he piled into a brawl anyway.
Darran being implored by our fans to slay the breaking defender and complying in memorably emphatic style before throwing his shirt in the refs direction and stomping off before the card came out.

Old Card

Post by Old Card » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:20 pm

Swansea Away in FA Cup. Back to Kingfield 9.00am to queue for Replay tickets.
Halifax Away in the League. 2-0 down after 10 minutes and won 3-2. A few of us went into Pub near the station afterwards with Lol Batty who came back on the train. The whole Pub went quiet and stared at us so we made our way back out again.
Billingham Away in Replay. Main stand condemned on a horrible night which was cold, wet and gale force winds. Two spectacular goals from Kevan Brown.
Enfield Away in Second Leg of FA Trophy. Last minute and Enfield missed an absolute sitter which would have put them through. Battered them in 3rd game at Wycombe.
Kidderminster Away FA Cup 2nd Replay. Unbelievable atmosphere. Andy Clement from two yards and then a header from Andy Russell (i think).

Duncan Biscuit

Post by Duncan Biscuit » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:44 pm

1. Swansea replay at Kingfield. Still the best game I’ve ever been at.
2. Gez in the last minute at Luton. I’d been unable to go to many games for about six years and the away corner made a racket all game long.
3. Gez again vs FGR. A 30 yard screamer to equalise at 3-3 after we’d been three down. I was sat directly behind Sneaky Peaky and he was screaming at the FGR bench that Gez would shoot. He did, he scored and Peaky stuck his head in his hands and genuinely sank to his knees.
4. Cards 0-6 Morcomb. The fortnight before I’d been sat next to the Morcomb scout watching a forgettable Cards performance. After the final whistle I asked if he’d seen anything useful. He smiled and said that he’d seen a bit of a weakness.
5. Steve Evans. When he was sent off in “that” game, Phil Ledger came into the stand to tell us that Evans had been sent off and would spend the second half among us. Would we mind behaving ourselves? The cheating crook didn’t get to the top of the steps before someone among us called him a crook and the rest is history. Sicknote can post the picture, I was too busy laughing for the next 45 minutes to watch any football.

Edit. Actually there’s a No 6. Salisbury, home, April 2008, when Skippy, myself the FMB and my lad got our hair cut. I’ve never forgotten that and never will.

Caiti is very well, living in Huddersfield and attends any away game she can up North. She will always be a Card.

Rio

Post by Rio » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:20 pm

Duncan Biscuit wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:44 pm
2. Gez in the last minute at Luton. I’d been unable to go to many games for about six years and the away corner made a racket all game long.
3. Gez again vs FGR. A 30 yard screamer to equalise at 3-3 after we’d been three down. I was sat directly behind Sneaky Peaky and he was screaming at the FGR bench that Gez would shoot. He did, he scored and Peaky stuck his head in his hands and genuinely sank to his knees.
4. Cards 0-6 Morcomb. The fortnight before I’d been sat next to the Morcomb scout watching a forgettable Cards performance. After the final whistle I asked if he’d seen anything useful. He smiled and said that he’d seen a bit of a weakness.
5. Steve Evans. When he was sent off in “that” game, Phil Ledger came into the stand to tell us that Evans had been sent off and would spend the second half among us. Would we mind behaving ourselves? The cheating crook didn’t get to the top of the steps before someone among us called him a crook and the rest is history. Sicknote can post the picture, I was too busy laughing for the next 45 minutes to watch any football.

Edit. Actually there’s a No 6. Salisbury, home, April 2008, when Skippy, myself the FMB and my lad got our hair cut. I’ve never forgotten that and never will.

Caiti is very well, living in Huddersfield and attends any away game she can up North. She will always be a Card.
Regarding the 0-6 Morecambe drubbing, that was goalless at half time! Have we ever delivered a worse 45 minutes?

Duncan Biscuit

Post by Duncan Biscuit » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:54 pm

Rio wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:20 pm
Duncan Biscuit wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:44 pm

Regarding the 0-6 Morecambe drubbing, that was goalless at half time! Have we ever delivered a worse 45 minutes?
My somewhat unreliable memory insists that not only was it 0-0 at HT, but that 5 of the Morcomb goals came from Woking corners where they broke down their right hand side. One of the times when I didn’t invoke the three goal rule.

LGScard

Post by LGScard » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:37 am

Also giving away my age:
- Gozie vs Chester has to be up there, but given there was only about 150 there and it doesn’t quite compare to the 90s understandably it’s not on many lists
- Wealdstone comeback
- Hyde’s goal vs Swindon and seeing the victory out
- Both of Kevin Betsy’s farewells, they almost merge to one in my memory as both (vs Tamworth and vs Halifax were perfect)
- That day at Maidenhead and being on the pitch celebrating after etc

Honourable shoutouts to:
- Woking 3-0 Ebbsfleet - Garry Hill really putting his stamp on things
- The FA Trophy run to the final in the 2000s - Maybe only beating lower league teams but some of us weren’t around for the 90’s era
- Burgess vs WSM
- Stockport 2-4 Woking, a division below us but for some reason felt like we were the underdogs. 4 shots, 4 goals. Thank you very much.
- The Turner Tour in the 3-2 away defeat to Lincoln. Missed our train back and had to book a hotel, but a cracker.

Perth Card

Post by Perth Card » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:15 am

Singaporecard wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:48 pm

- playing Truro at home when we were presented the title. Remember looking down from lgs with such a good feel good factor around the ground with local kids teams warming up and a buzz around the ground
- recent one but losing 4-0 at home to notts county. Unexpected choice I know but was back on holiday in Uk (back every year or so) and took my sons (aged 8 and 11). Dowse encouraged the players to sign autographs and then invited the boys into changing room after. We didn’t go as didn’t want to intrude after the loss but dowse sent a superb email to them afterwards to thank them for their support. Amazing gesture which Made the boys year and reminded me how special club is - also dowse passion in the community fantastic
- stevenage away (could have picked any of a number) but moment Darran hay (true legend!) scored in trophy semi and did his dance on his shirt. Yes they equalised but didnt matter due to Watford
- Coventry. Was at Uni at time and best mate was a Coventry fan. Had some good fun over those games - including meeting the squad in a nightclub in Coventry after the abandoned game. The bar was drunk dry...
I was also at the Notts County game whilst home from Singapore for a week. Was due to be home again next month, but BA has already pulled the plug on that, not that i am complaining.

Meerkat

Post by Meerkat » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:46 am

Bit of a random one, and I am not even sure of the score, but a fair while back at Hereford.
We had been royally slapped about at Kingfield on the Saturday by some small club, possibly 4-0 by Hayes? Was really miserable.
For some reason decided to still drive to Hereford on a Tuesday night despite expecting even worse humiliation.
Instead got a magnificent back to the wall win. Desperately hanging on near the end Nassim Akrour broke away and whilst we desperately pleaded with him to shoot he just ambled nonchalantly right up to the keeper before calmy slotting it in at the last moment. He then jogged over to us grinning before piling into the merry few going mental over the barrier.

Not a significant result, but one of those ‘had to be there moments’ when the blind hope and stupid journey was all worthwhile.

Kanu's Nan

Post by Kanu's Nan » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:03 pm

Meerkat wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:46 am
Bit of a random one, and I am not even sure of the score, but a fair while back at Hereford.
We had been royally slapped about at Kingfield on the Saturday by some small club, possibly 4-0 by Hayes? Was really miserable.
For some reason decided to still drive to Hereford on a Tuesday night despite expecting even worse humiliation.
Instead got a magnificent back to the wall win. Desperately hanging on near the end Nassim Akrour broke away and whilst we desperately pleaded with him to shoot he just ambled nonchalantly right up to the keeper before calmy slotting it in at the last moment. He then jogged over to us grinning before piling into the merry few going mental over the barrier.

Not a significant result, but one of those ‘had to be there moments’ when the blind hope and stupid journey was all worthwhile.
Was that the game Stuart Baverstock was in goal?
self appointed protector of the downtrodden

Plug

Post by Plug » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:19 pm

No. The game Meerkat refers to was a 4-2 win in March 2000. We had got spanked 3-0 by Hayes at home on the Saturday and were deep in relegation doo-doo. Went 3-0 up, amazingly, were then hanging on at 3-2 before the Akrour clincher. Meerkat is right - it was quite a moment, and amazing game and a decent following in Herefordshire on a Tuesday went suitably mental. And it did count in the end too - our relegation scrap that season went very deep in the end and only 5 straight wins in April / May saved us. Epic season that. Painful underachievement under likeable McDermott, and amazing springtime run to survival under Lippiatt. I remember it more than most.

Baverstock was a year later. We had already had a rain abandoned games at Hereford that season, so it was our second trip in a few months (to Herefordshire on a Tuesday). We won 1-0. Perkins header, and 'dead cow' celebration, which was arguably inadvisable at time of foot and mouth crisis. They had a very past prime Steve Bull playing. Baverstock = 1 game; never let a goal in. Played against full international striker. Quite a record.

JAM

Post by JAM » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:36 pm

good to have you back Plug

Didn't the run under Lippiatt begin, or at least include, a win at Yeovil, where the 'Colins trainers' song began

also, didn't Baverstock also play a game at Telford one year, also possibly on a Tuesday night, or was that another reserve keeper that hardly ever played

Meerkat

Post by Meerkat » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:14 pm

Plug wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:19 pm
No. The game Meerkat refers to was a 4-2 win in March 2000. We had got spanked 3-0 by Hayes at home on the Saturday and were deep in relegation doo-doo. Went 3-0 up, amazingly, were then hanging on at 3-2 before the Akrour clincher. Meerkat is right - it was quite a moment, and amazing game and a decent following in Herefordshire on a Tuesday went suitably mental. And it did count in the end too - our relegation scrap that season went very deep in the end and only 5 straight wins in April / May saved us. Epic season that. Painful underachievement under likeable McDermott, and amazing springtime run to survival under Lippiatt. I remember it more than most.

Baverstock was a year later. We had already had a rain abandoned games at Hereford that season, so it was our second trip in a few months (to Herefordshire on a Tuesday). We won 1-0. Perkins header, and 'dead cow' celebration, which was arguably inadvisable at time of foot and mouth crisis. They had a very past prime Steve Bull playing. Baverstock = 1 game; never let a goal in. Played against full international striker. Quite a record.
Thanks for the details. Can’t believe we were three up! All I remember is it being the Alamo up the far end then suddenly Akrour had what felt like a mile long clear run at goal but ambled up to the last moment.
There is nothing quite like a long “why I am doing this to myself?!” drive turning into a merry little band going apeshit.

I liked that ground. Ridiculous if you couldn’t stand in front of the huge pillars but normally you could lean on the fence and be so close to the lino you could actually whisper to him.....”he’s laughing at you, you’re not in line are you?”

Plug

Post by Plug » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:53 pm

Didn't the run under Lippiatt begin, or at least include, a win at Yeovil, where the 'Colins trainers' song began

also, didn't Baverstock also play a game at Telford one year, also possibly on a Tuesday night, or was that another reserve keeper that hardly ever played
I'm only back by exception, on jonwoozley nostalgia posts in a global pandemic situation, which are frankly good for the soul. Good reasons why I don't post on more everyday matters these days, which remain.

The Lippiatt survival epic finished at Yeovil on bank holiday Monday May. 3-0. A great day. I had some exams the week after, so was probably less 'in the spirit' than some but I recall it well.

John Gregory was the more regular reserve keeper who starred in a 2-1 win at Telford in the 95/96 season (when we were still in with a title sniff).

Meerkat

Post by Meerkat » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:04 pm

Plug wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:53 pm

I'm only back by exception, on jonwoozley nostalgia posts in a global pandemic situation, which are frankly good for the soul. Good reasons why I don't post on more everyday matters these days, which remain.

The Lippiatt survival epic finished at Yeovil on bank holiday Monday May. 3-0. A great day. I had some exams the week after, so was probably less 'in the spirit' than some but I recall it well.

John Gregory was the more regular reserve keeper who starred in a 2-1 win at Telford in the 95/96 season (when we were still in with a title sniff).
The Yeovil game was a bit of an anti climax. Turn up expecting a brutal struggle to eke out even a point but we’re 3-0 up and cruising pretty soon in.

Singaporecard

Post by Singaporecard » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:32 pm

Perth Card wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:15 am
Singaporecard wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:48 pm

I was also at the Notts County game whilst home from Singapore for a week. Was due to be home again next month, but BA has already pulled the plug on that, not that i am complaining.
How funny! The Singapore supporters club were in full attendance...
Yes not going to be much travelling for a while out of Singapore

Perth Card

Post by Perth Card » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:37 pm

Singaporecard wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:32 pm
Perth Card wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:15 am

How funny! The Singapore supporters club were in full attendance...
Yes not going to be much travelling for a while out of Singapore
Indeed. Just sent you a PM (not 100% sure it worked)! Maybe we can stage an AGM for the SG cards sometime.

Derek

Post by Derek » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:46 pm

Epsom & Ewell at home in 83/84 on a wet Tuesday night and lost 2-1, pissed down from start to finish

wokingsteve

Post by wokingsteve » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:34 pm

1. Selling Grant Payne to Aldershot.
2. Giving money to Scott Rendell to join Aldershot
3. JIMMY SUGRUE.
4.Building a crap fence.
5. Losing 4 nil Boxing Day to a Scott Rendell hattrick.