Your Top 5 Woking Moments

jonwoozley
Posts: 1011
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:09 am
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Your Top 5 Woking Moments

Post by jonwoozley » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:32 am

1. Terry Worsfold's header at West Brom when you realised they weren't coming back from that.
2. Buzaglo equalising at 3-3 against Windsor in the FA Cup, there was only going to be one winner in extra time.
3. Buzaglo equalising at Whyteleafe in May 87, with 10 mins left to clinch the title. Our first title in our real centenary season.
4. Thommo in the last minute.
5. Hyde's winner at home to Wealdstone in the play-off, we might not have to go to Concord and Hungerford again.
Dual meditates,
Non habetis argentum.

Kingfield Ender
Posts: 4598
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:48 am
Has thanked: 426 times
Been thanked: 360 times

Re: Your Top 5 Woking Moments

Post by Kingfield Ender » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:43 am

1. Winning Division 2 South at Whyteleaf in 1987. I still have Tim's shirt that he scored the league winning goal in
2. Seeing the team walk out at Wembley against Runcorn
3. West Brom & Everton and the boost it gave to WFC
4. Steve Thompsons goal at Coventry
5. Woking 3 Enfield 0 at Wycombe and the pitch invasion that followed
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

DavetheBountyHunter
Posts: 2884
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:22 am
Has thanked: 115 times
Been thanked: 340 times

Re: Your Top 5 Woking Moments

Post by DavetheBountyHunter » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:45 am

West Brom (I’d go with Buzaglo’s third goal)
Nuneaton (3-2, after being 2-1 down)
Andy Burgess Vs WSM
Telford under Cockerill (when Amos scored)
Yeovil in the cup when Friel volleyed in the third.
Scorer of possibly the greatest goal in the history of the Woking FC Supporters' team

Chobham Card
Posts: 1270
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:53 pm
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: Your Top 5 Woking Moments

Post by Chobham Card » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:00 am

Going to show my (lack of age) here.

1. Hyde's header against Swindon.
2. Sogbanmu's header against Brighton.
3. Hyde's goal against Wealdstone.
4. Watford.
5. Possibly Oxford City away last season.

Meerkat
Posts: 2055
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:14 pm
Has thanked: 85 times
Been thanked: 104 times

Re: Your Top 5 Woking Moments

Post by Meerkat » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:34 am

Thommo in the last minute
Nuneaton 1-2 to 3-2 in the 908th minute
Fielder at Wembley
Gozie Penalty at Chester
Hyde against Wealdstone

Cardsfan
Posts: 550
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:00 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: Your Top 5 Woking Moments

Post by Cardsfan » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:49 am

What a great shout Gozie's penalty at Chester is, bedlam!
Woking FC: Purveyors of outstanding highs and lows to me for 42 years.
Https://www.oldfootballgames.co.uk always looking to buy old football games

PatsWFC
Posts: 588
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:36 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: Your Top 5 Woking Moments

Post by PatsWFC » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:52 am

1. West Brom
2. The Great Nuneaton FA Cup Robbery 1992 - 2 goals in injury time
3. 1994 trophy run-in (away at Billingham, semi replay at Adams Park then of course winning at Wembley)
4. Fielder in the last minute
5. Josh Payne at Chester 2015 - probably best Woking goal I've seen live, it was a late winner and kept us in play-off hunt

JAM
Posts: 1326
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:01 am
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Your Top 5 Woking Moments

Post by JAM » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:53 am

only 5. I would struggle if it was 10, so many good moments

CC - Oxford City away last year, good shout, also bedlam

hows about Gez at Luton on the box, which was 6 years ago yesterday

Rio
Posts: 861
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:36 pm
Has thanked: 147 times
Been thanked: 59 times

Re: Your Top 5 Woking Moments

Post by Rio » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:38 pm

Gary Mac scoring in the 90th minute at home to Accrington in 2005.

Red and White Army
Posts: 1721
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:53 pm
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 42 times

Re: Your Top 5 Woking Moments

Post by Red and White Army » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:01 pm

PatsWFC wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:52 am
1. West Brom
2. The Great Nuneaton FA Cup Robbery 1992 - 2 goals in injury time
3. 1994 trophy run-in (away at Billingham, semi replay at Adams Park then of course winning at Wembley)
4. Fielder in the last minute
5. Josh Payne at Chester 2015 - probably best Woking goal I've seen live, it was a late winner and kept us in play-off hunt
Payne's goal at Chester definitely made up for all the other 'first time pings' he tried which usually ended up going over the stands. Remember being in pure shock when it hit the net.

For purely 'SCENES' purposes i'd throw in Joe Ward's goal at home to Peterborough.

JAM
Posts: 1326
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:01 am
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Your Top 5 Woking Moments

Post by JAM » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:03 pm

as I have said far too many to choose from but here goes with mine

1. West Brom, and I cant narrow that down to any part of that weekend in particular. Tims hat trick, the 4th goal, the scenes at the end, Tim & Geoff on MOTD that night, the papers the next morning. Woking FC was huge news
2. Thommo in the last minute at Coventry. I think I am right in that we were the 1st NL side to get a result at a top flight side in the FA Cup. The faces on the Coventry players as the ball has gone in, priceless. and they know they were lucky in the replay.
3. Watching the team that I supported walk out and then win at Wembley for the 1st time.
4. The last 20 mins or so of the Wealdstone game in the PO SF last year. Been a long time since scenes like that had been seen at Kingfield
5. Beating Enfield easily in 1991-92 season to effectively win the league before Xmas. And to cap it all a certain Westley played for them.

others that were close, some of which have already been mentioned, inc the Gez goal at Luton, Gary Mac v Accy, the Nuneaton cup game, 'theres been a goal at Nuneaton' (our survival on the last day), Batty scoring from a goal kick, Swindon last year, Oxford last year.

kansasCard
Posts: 2742
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:38 pm
Location: Downtown Kansas City Missouri
Has thanked: 222 times
Been thanked: 184 times
Contact:

Re: Your Top 5 Woking Moments

Post by kansasCard » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:39 pm

1. Walkers 50 step overs vs someone at home. Down the CLT side kicking towards the LGS as it is now. Defender running backwards as he watched the ball before falling flat on his arse.
2. Everton away. Leaving a Woking scarf on the Shankly gates at Anfield.
3.Jason Soloman - SCUM having to go between the sticks away. Getting his trackkie bottoms stuck round his ankles as he had to deal with an ill timed back pass.
4. Climbing the trees outside the Withdean Stadium Brighton FA Cup 2010 to watch the game with Stephen Symington (RIP) after he got us thrown out of the ground before we even got in. Sneaking in via the Sponsors entrance and watching from the Brighton Chairmans box.(Before being thrown out again) Watching from the Stadium roof before getting thrown out a third time.
5. Taking over the Hereford home end FA Cup 1992 I think. Being confronted by angry farmers and being backed up by Phil Shorter.
This space intentionally left blank

AndyT
Posts: 3048
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:11 pm
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 197 times

Re: Your Top 5 Woking Moments

Post by AndyT » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:04 pm

JAM wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:03 pm
as I have said far too many to choose from but here goes with mine

1. West Brom, and I cant narrow that down to any part of that weekend in particular. Tims hat trick, the 4th goal, the scenes at the end, Tim & Geoff on MOTD that night, the papers the next morning. Woking FC was huge news
2. Thommo in the last minute at Coventry. I think I am right in that we were the 1st NL side to get a result at a top flight side in the FA Cup. The faces on the Coventry players as the ball has gone in, priceless. and they know they were lucky in the replay.
3. Watching the team that I supported walk out and then win at Wembley for the 1st time.
4. The last 20 mins or so of the Wealdstone game in the PO SF last year. Been a long time since scenes like that had been seen at Kingfield
5. Beating Enfield easily in 1991-92 season to effectively win the league before Xmas. And to cap it all a certain Westley played for them.

others that were close, some of which have already been mentioned, inc the Gez goal at Luton, Gary Mac v Accy, the Nuneaton cup game, 'theres been a goal at Nuneaton' (our survival on the last day), Batty scoring from a goal kick, Swindon last year, Oxford last year.
Previous to this
I think (and I stand to be corrected) Woking were the first non-league club to get a positive result AT a Premier League club. Previous to this non league clubs have won away at First Division clubs.

Anyway my top 5 (there are so many tbh it's difficult for an old fart like me to remember them all):

1. 05/01/1991: West Bromwich Albion 2 Woking 4 - The whole day at WBA was just magnificent, one of the most memorable days of my life.
2. 15/03/1980: Woking 3 Barrow 1 - My first ever Woking match, made memorable more for the off-field antics of the Barrow fans and the cold more than the match.
3. 25/02/1989: Newcastle Blue Star 2 Woking 0 - My first 'proper' long distance away trip with Woking. Travelling up to a snowy Newcastle not knowing if the match was on (pre-mobile phones,the internet etc) not even sure how to get there, Woking not fancying the conditions (not for the last time) and then the long journey home after a defeat (again not for the last time).
4. 06.04.1996: Woking 3 Macclesfield Town 2 - One of the few times I've cried with pride after watching WFC. We were going neck and neck with Satanage for the League title and played Macc on Easter Saturday. In front of a packed Kingfield (4,583) we went 1-2 down and had Junior Hunter sent off, it wasn't looking good but a monumental effort saw Woking fight their way to a magnificent 3-2 victory and the title push was still on. Unfortunately two days later we travelled to Satanage for what was almost a title decider and lost 4-0. I've always felt that the super human effort put in by the lads two days earlier really took it out of them and they were physically and mentally drained for that Satanage match.
5. 05/05/2019: Woking 3 Wealdstone 2 - I guess I had better have something more up to date so that Play-Off Semi Final against Wealdstone was one hell of a mentally draining match. To come back and win after being 2-0 down was the sort of result that tends to lead one to get pissed (which I probably did).

So many other moments/memories already mentioned which just goes to show watching WFC is something special.

JAM
Posts: 1326
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:01 am
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Your Top 5 Woking Moments

Post by JAM » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:35 pm

Andy, thanks for confirming, I knew it was something like that

as for your point 4, what a game that was, and to have the 2 teams that were fighting the league with over the Easter period was hard work for the team, esp as we played for a long time on the Saturday with 10 men. I agree that the effort on the Saturday took it out of the team for the Monday

top of the C
Posts: 523
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:15 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: Your Top 5 Woking Moments

Post by top of the C » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:20 pm

that Macc game was the onlt time i remember the whole team getting the 'man of the match' award.

Better Red
Posts: 757
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:53 am
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: Your Top 5 Woking Moments

Post by Better Red » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:59 pm

Was lucky enough to attend the three Wembley trophy finals and the West Brom & Everton games, so that's five before I have to think much further...fortunately.

Several others have already been mentioned, but for my 'follow-up most-memorable five' I would go for the Trophy semi win at Watford, the Swansea City replay at Kingfield, the 5-0 destruction of Enfield at Kingfield in the Isthmian, the Barrow Trophy QF win and the Wealdstone play-off win.

(Not to mention the 4-4 at Barnet, our first Conference away game at Kettering, the 'last day' v Telford, Coventry and Millwall away and the Nuneaton Cup game.)

Probably enough for one non-League lifetime :-)

Buspasscard
Posts: 241
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:39 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Your Top 5 Woking Moments

Post by Buspasscard » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:08 pm

1: I don't know the year but a Chapple side almost destroying Southport's will to compete while they were actually in possesion of the ball.
2: Macclesfield 1:2 to winning 3:2 with ten men after Junior Hunter behaved like an idiot. Darren Adams wnning it for us.
3: Colin Fielder in the last Minute at Wembley
4: Thommo in the last minute at Coventry
5: All the FA Cup games against Barnet

Honourable mentions;
FA Cup replay v Brighton, Wnning the league at Windsor, any time we got a result at Aldersh1te, FA Cup at Cambridge - it didn't even feel like an upset.
Both Millwall games and that they were on TV, still got the VHS somewhere.

Since85
Posts: 777
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:51 pm
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Your Top 5 Woking Moments

Post by Since85 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:25 pm

All if the above plus Biggos third against Merthyr on our FACup run to Goodson, it had everything, double sending off and you can hear someone shouting “go back to Wales” as their 2nd animal goes
Billy Knotts shot and goal against Luton, think it was a league game.
Derrick Brown in any game
LoL winding up Gary Mc
Seeing Le God at Kingfield

Plug
Posts: 2821
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:05 pm
Has thanked: 319 times
Been thanked: 473 times

Re: Your Top 5 Woking Moments

Post by Plug » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:14 pm

1. That legendary afternoon at West Brom. I have made many other great days following Woking FC, but none that will ever match either that unbelievable, mythical game (watching the team I grew up watching 5 mins from my house dismantle a team I saw on tv...). It was a 'can't believe your eyes' moment then and remains it now. It also changed everything. The modern Woking FC, for better and worse, was created that day. Nothing has ever been the same since. Media interest, aspirations, expectations, profile, supporter base, Kingfield itself - all never been the same since. It changed me from kid very interested in his local, very watchable, team to a lifelong fan too. For better or worse too!

2. Fielder in the last minute at Wembley. I loved everything about the first Trophy run (the novelty, the realised dreams of Wembley) the year before but 1995 was the epic one. Stevenage away, Macclesfield away, Rushden at home, Cheltenham at home even - we beat some of the biggest dogs in non league football to make it to Wembley. A very tough game on the day vs Kiddy, who could easily have edged it and would have deserved a replay at The Hawthorns, but then Tucker wins a header and Fielder nods home and we have the fairy tale ending, again. 94-95 remains, probably, my single favourite Woking season of all time. Without that Fielder moment, it couldn't and wouldn't be.

3. Macclesfield at home Easter 96. If there has been a better Kingfield afternoon, I can't remember it. 4,900+ packed in. Girdler's knee shredding heroics. Junior Hunter's maverick brilliance and then indiscipline. Phil Power winding up the KRE. And that second half comeback. An unbeaten season at home. Often the memory of the key moments remains longer than the whole games but I have never quite forgotten how good we were overall that day. The 'no one wins on our turf' spirit, the sheer quality. Steele and Walker running rings around a fine, fine side. The best 10 man backs to the wall performance I have ever seen. Of course, the price was too high and an exhausted side couldn't repeat the intensity at Stevenage 48 hours later and it was another runners up season, a story of ''what might have been'. We have never been so close to the Football League holy grail since. But, geez, for one day that team had Kingfield rocking like arguably it never has been before or after.

4. Picking up the Conference South title at Kingfield in 2012. Huge crowd in vs Truro. Second title I have seen Woking win. A fantastic season, better probably even the 92 champions as it was a marginally higher standard and Dartford made an epic, never shredding race of it. In some ways, a template for how you win a title. The Gez Sole scoring run (lets not forget he was probably in 'last chance' saloon when it started) somehow made it even sweater. That side will stand the test of time as Woking legends I suspect.

5. Final whistle at Swindon last season. The cup has been cruel as well as kind to us since the 90s glory days, but this was a throwback. Grown men in tears. I even watched it next to Trevor Baron (cool as a cucumber throughout, obviously). Somehow the memories of what we used to do in the FA Cup merged into the present on an epic afternoon. New heroes replicating their predecessors. The winning goal was an absolute cracker too. Casey to Hyde, can recall it instantly. Also I suspect, far from irrelevantly, gave us a cash balance to have a chance of getting through the current crisis.

Bobbo
Posts: 1205
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:00 pm
Location: Rome "Caput Mundi", somewhere in Italy ;)
Has thanked: 239 times
Been thanked: 31 times

Re: Your Top 5 Woking Moments

Post by Bobbo » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:23 pm

Plug wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:14 pm
1. That legendary afternoon at West Brom. I have made many other great days following Woking FC, but none that will ever match either that unbelievable, mythical game (watching the team I grew up watching 5 mins from my house dismantle a team I saw on tv...). It was a 'can't believe your eyes' moment then and remains it now. It also changed everything. The modern Woking FC, for better and worse, was created that day. Nothing has ever been the same since. Media interest, aspirations, expectations, profile, supporter base, Kingfield itself - all never been the same since. It changed me from kid very interested in his local, very watchable, team to a lifelong fan too. For better or worse too!

2. Fielder in the last minute at Wembley. I loved everything about the first Trophy run (the novelty, the realised dreams of Wembley) the year before but 1995 was the epic one. Stevenage away, Macclesfield away, Rushden at home, Cheltenham at home even - we beat some of the biggest dogs in non league football to make it to Wembley. A very tough game on the day vs Kiddy, who could easily have edged it and would have deserved a replay at The Hawthorns, but then Tucker wins a header and Fielder nods home and we have the fairy tale ending, again. 94-95 remains, probably, my single favourite Woking season of all time. Without that Fielder moment, it couldn't and wouldn't be.

3. Macclesfield at home Easter 96. If there has been a better Kingfield afternoon, I can't remember it. 4,900+ packed in. Girdler's knee shredding heroics. Junior Hunter's maverick brilliance and then indiscipline. Phil Power winding up the KRE. And that second half comeback. An unbeaten season at home. Often the memory of the key moments remains longer than the whole games but I have never quite forgotten how good we were overall that day. The 'no one wins on our turf' spirit, the sheer quality. Steele and Walker running rings around a fine, fine side. The best 10 man backs to the wall performance I have ever seen. Of course, the price was too high and an exhausted side couldn't repeat the intensity at Stevenage 48 hours later and it was another runners up season, a story of ''what might have been'. We have never been so close to the Football League holy grail since. But, geez, for one day that team had Kingfield rocking like arguably it never has been before or after.

4. Picking up the Conference South title at Kingfield in 2012. Huge crowd in vs Truro. Second title I have seen Woking win. A fantastic season, better probably even the 92 champions as it was a marginally higher standard and Dartford made an epic, never shredding race of it. In some ways, a template for how you win a title. The Gez Sole scoring run (lets not forget he was probably in 'last chance' saloon when it started) somehow made it even sweater. That side will stand the test of time as Woking legends I suspect.

5. Final whistle at Swindon last season. The cup has been cruel as well as kind to us since the 90s glory days, but this was a throwback. Grown men in tears. I even watched it next to Trevor Baron (cool as a cucumber throughout, obviously). Somehow the memories of what we used to do in the FA Cup merged into the present on an epic afternoon. New heroes replicating their predecessors. The winning goal was an absolute cracker too. Casey to Hyde, can recall it instantly. Also I suspect, far from irrelevantly, gave us a cash balance to have a chance of getting through the current crisis.
EPIC post Plug, great.
80)

Quod non necat emunit.

DavetheBountyHunter
Posts: 2884
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:22 am
Has thanked: 115 times
Been thanked: 340 times

Re: Your Top 5 Woking Moments

Post by DavetheBountyHunter » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:50 pm

Bobbo - that’s not the real Plug. The real Plug would have started his own thread to post something that good.
Scorer of possibly the greatest goal in the history of the Woking FC Supporters' team

Luxembourg Card
Posts: 725
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:03 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 30 times

Re: Your Top 5 Woking Moments

Post by Luxembourg Card » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:20 pm

1 - West Brom, the single most important day in our history, can never be surpassed.
2 - Runcorn, 1st FA Trophy win, the Trophy mattered back then, it was Wembley, it mattered then, we won.
3 - Swansea replay, Tony Field, Les Barrett, total mayhem on a muddy bank by the old bus stop end and a 15 year old chap became a life long Woking fan.
4 & 5 - many others, Fielder, Thommo last minutes, Swansea at the Vetch, Millwall away, Ashington & Marine in the 1st Trophy run, Vicarage Rd and other Trophy semi finals and finals and many many more, and hopefully many more to come.

Bobbo
Posts: 1205
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:00 pm
Location: Rome "Caput Mundi", somewhere in Italy ;)
Has thanked: 239 times
Been thanked: 31 times

Re: Your Top 5 Woking Moments

Post by Bobbo » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:28 am

DavetheBountyHunter wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:50 pm
Bobbo - that’s not the real Plug. The real Plug would have started his own thread to post something that good.
LOL
80)

Quod non necat emunit.

Kingfield Ender
Posts: 4598
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:48 am
Has thanked: 426 times
Been thanked: 360 times

Re: Your Top 5 Woking Moments

Post by Kingfield Ender » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:50 am

If I was allowed 6 then my number 6 would be Skippy falling off his bike while shitfaced
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

Kanu's Nan
Posts: 2899
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:24 am
Has thanked: 257 times
Been thanked: 359 times

Re: Your Top 5 Woking Moments

Post by Kanu's Nan » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:53 am

Kingfield Ender wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:50 am
If I was allowed 6 then my number 6 would be Skippy falling off his bike while shitfaced
That would be a good second thread, five funniest things you've seen a Woking fan do.
self appointed protector of the downtrodden


Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Cardboard

Cardsboard.co.uk is not an official message board of Woking Football Club or The Cards Trust, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Please be warned that some posts will contain swear words.

Vanarama National League Club Forums: Aldershot Town | Barnet | Barrow | Bromley | Chesterfield | Chorley | Dagenham & Redbridge | Dover Athletic | Eastleigh | Ebbsfleet United | FC Halifax Town | Harrogate Town | Hartlepool United | Maidenhead United | Notts County | Solihull Moors | Stockport County | Sutton United | Torquay United | Wrexham

Unofficial League Forums: The Conference Forum

Other Links: Cards Trust - Boost the Budget | wokingfc.co.uk | Surrey Advertiser | Woking News and Mail | Woking FC Official Photo Gallery | BBC Sport - Woking | BBC Football Commentaries