Statement from Woking Football Club

Nick

Statement from Woking Football Club

Post by Nick » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:29 pm

Regarding yesterday's postponement - https://www.wokingfc.co.uk/news/article ... ball-club/

Cardinal96

Re: Statement from Woking Football Club

Post by Cardinal96 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:34 pm

Good to know. It will have cost us a fair bit with staff, programmes, food, ect. already in place. Dagenham should be expected to front those costs at the very least, or we should be awarded the points.

Nick

Post by Nick » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:36 pm

Not to forget there was a bucket collection planned for www.linkable.org.uk yesterday too.

wfc462

Post by wfc462 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:41 pm

I want the best for our club. However, this statement is really terrible.

It's obvious to everyone why the game was postponed - there's a pandemic. The national league bottled the decision this weekend to postpone games.

The financial disruption to our club is unfortunate. But what is more important? The safety of everyone or one more game in a season that is now unlikely to finish.

Cardinal96

Post by Cardinal96 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:45 pm

wfc462 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:41 pm

It's obvious to everyone why the game was postponed - there's a pandemic. The national league bottled the decision this weekend to postpone games.

The financial disruption to our club is unfortunate. But what is more important? The safety of everyone or one more game in a season that is now unlikely to finish.
That's bullshit. If the government and the league says it's safe then I'll trust them over whatever shit people have read on Facebook. Everyone else is still going to work in offices across the country, taking trains and busses, and we know transmission is far higher indoors. Why should footballers be exempt?

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:45 pm

wfc462 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:41 pm

You can’t just decide at the last minute you’re not going to turn up though.

I might just tell work tomorrow morning I won’t be turning up then, see how that goes down.

NewCard

Post by NewCard » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:46 pm

Why is sport being treated as a special case? I still have to go to work and government advice is you are not likely to catch it in an environment like a football match. Woking were ready to play, had invested money and government and national League advice was to play...therefore there should be no question that we take the three points.

It's pisses me off reading people like Rooney spouting off about how badly they have been treated. Why should every other person have to go to work but the thought of someone kicking a ball around is so terrible??

Ross10

Post by Ross10 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:52 pm

Just poor from Dagenham. You cannot just refuse to play at the last minute - no doubt many of their fans and ours were on the way to the game already.

How you can blame Woking for any of this is quite odd - even the statement is extremely factual in nature aimed at giving the fans just a little bit of information. I wouldn’t criticise our club for this situation.

kda

Post by kda » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:03 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2 ... e-thompson

Article from Dagenham, not sure if the comment re players and staff is them , us or a mistake and related to say Barnet

wfc462

Post by wfc462 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:06 pm

Some of our own players expressed concern and surprise that the fixtures were going ahead. This isn't something that has come out of the blue.

There's no difference in risk between the Premier league, fpl and our league. If there was no financial consideration the games wouldn't have been played this weekend. The national league bottled the decision.

Lurker

Post by Lurker » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:14 pm

wfc462 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:06 pm
Some of our own players expressed concern and surprise that the fixtures were going ahead. This isn't something that has come out of the blue.

There's no difference in risk between the Premier league, fpl and our league. If there was no financial consideration the games wouldn't have been played this weekend. The national league bottled the decision.
None of that has any relevance to your complaint about the club's statement.

AndyT

Post by AndyT » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:18 pm

wfc462 wrote:

No they didn't they took a decision based on Government and scientific advice as it was on Friday as have other football leagues, rugby union, rugby league and many other sports. Cinemas, theatres, pubs, clubs, shopping centres, places of worship, public transport haven't shut down yet and I suspect many of the people who have been whinging about the National League's decision probably visited or used one of these in the last few days. We're told you can catch this virus almost anywhere and more likely if you are in an enclosed place similar to the places I listed. Personally I would prefer to risk it out in the open in a field rather than on the train/tube on my way up to work on Monday which, until I'm told differently, I will be doing so.

As it transpires the Government will take this decision out of sports hands by banning mass gatherings later this week so you'll get your wish.

cardtrick

Post by cardtrick » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:23 pm

The NL had a hard decision but they followed government guidelines. Let's be clear the PL cancelled because the tournament was now unfair with 2 or 3 squads with self isolation. Wayne Rooney today has been moaning that footballers are guinea pigs - rubbish. People working in schools, getting the tube and working in supermarkets and offices are the guinea pigs - what about the NHS workers at the coalface!

Being in an open air stadium as a player and fan is not that high risk - going to the pub because the games are off is

wokingbob

Post by wokingbob » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:31 pm

wfc462 wrote:

There's a difference between having concerns and just not turning up at short notice... I'm sure we all have concerns, but as others have said, if the government and league say its ok to go ahead, then I'm fine with that. Remember, we can't stop the virus spreading now, it's a delay and protect the vulnerable policy.

Vulnerable people were advised to consider the risk and anybody else concerned can stay away out of choice, of course, but it's chaotic if players mutiny.

It's naive to ignore the financial aspects, although not at any cost, admittedly, but that's where fans as individuals assess the risks and make personal decisions following the league's decision. They didn't bottle it. They made a decision.
Optimism IS my middle name. Trust in Dowse.

ABR

Post by ABR » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:36 pm

Very bad if the Ref, the league And Dagenham have not informed Woking yet. Feel Rosemary may be in talks with all three.
Fairplay Woking again for telling us fans all they know. I am praying for next Saturdays to be on.

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:00 pm

Why is Rubgy League being allowed to continue?

There's just no consistency
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:10 pm

wfc462 wrote:
Casey, Hodges and Loza (Amongst others) whinging and moaning that they’re being forced to play football despite being far more likely to catch it in their normal jobs is just bizzare and shows how big time they think they are now.

Sunbrow

Post by Sunbrow » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:13 pm

Kingfield Ender wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:00 pm
Why is Rubgy League being allowed to continue?

There's just no consistency
Cos there hard💪

Ian B

Post by Ian B » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:39 pm

I fully support the National League for trying to get matches played, as most clubs at this level are dependent on gate receipts for their survival.

Cornwall Card

Post by Cornwall Card » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:45 am

Someone has alluded to it elsewhere, but if clubs called off games unilaterally, aren't they open to sanction?
Am assuming all will be let off in the circumstances, but the NL come out of this badly.
Ben Strevens (Eastleigh manager) sat next to the Harrogate manager at a game last week, Four of Harrogate are in self isolation.
To how many more has Strevens potentially passed on the virus at Notts?
Thinking ahead wasn't a strong NL suit on this occasion.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:23 pm

Cornwall Card wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:45 am
Someone has alluded to it elsewhere, but if clubs called off games unilaterally, aren't they open to sanction?
Am assuming all will be let off in the circumstances, but the NL come out of this badly.
Ben Strevens (Eastleigh manager) sat next to the Harrogate manager at a game last week, Four of Harrogate are in self isolation.
To how many more has Strevens potentially passed on the virus at Notts?
Thinking ahead wasn't a strong NL suit on this occasion.

If they let them off, it sets a precedent.

Meerkat

Post by Meerkat » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:38 pm

They won’t be in any hurry to make a decision until it’s decided whether/how this season finishes. If it’s voided then it doesn’t matter, unless there is some mechanism for us to get compo.

Buspasscard

Post by Buspasscard » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:48 pm

People are commuting, going to work, going shopping, kids are going to school, why the hell should footballers (especially full-timers) be a protected species?
If someone comes round to your house to change your light bulbs and you think you should be protected further still you're not at risk of an illness, you're at risk of being a Dick.

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:19 pm

Buspasscard wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:48 pm
People are commuting, going to work, going shopping, kids are going to school, why the hell should footballers (especially full-timers) be a protected species?
If someone comes round to your house to change your light bulbs and you think you should be protected further still you're not at risk of an illness, you're at risk of being a Dick.
I understand about certain games being postponed in the Premier League because teams have multiple players unavailable which therefore creates issues of fairness.

The sense of entitlement from non league players/managers is cringeworthy.

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:08 pm

At what point does a football clubs opinion outweigh that of the league the agree to abide by the laws of each season and the government of the country they operate in?

Can’t say I disagree with what they did but the timing I certainly do.