When and why did you become dedicated to WFC?

Stjohn

When and why did you become dedicated to WFC?

Post by Stjohn » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:55 pm

I’m guessing or I know most WFC fans will have supported league and Premiership clubs at some point or may still do alongside WFC. For many I’d suggest that is Chelsea 😝

For those that chose the path of Cardinal red and white only what was the turning point for you from glamour football to non league?

For those that still have that top league / non league combo how do you cope following two clubs? Is it WFC live on a Saturday and your Chelsea/Arsenal/Fulham fix once a season and motd?

Even at a club like Reading my friends tell me they are many people’s second team. This must be quite a common scenario in the Home Counties more so than provincial clubs across the UK.If we did go up however to the FL I’m convinced our support base would grow and become more aligned solely with WFC. That’s definetly something I believe the new stadium plans seem to suggest when comparing crowd increases at other clubs with new stadia and FL status. But maybe not at Reading!

Adz

Re: When and why did you become dedicated to WFC?

Post by Adz » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:43 am

Before discovering Woking Football club I was mad on Manchester United for a couple of years and was obsessed with Eric Cantona! But since my first Woking game Woking is my one and only club. I don't think anything can beat supporting your local club and going to as many games as possible.

It all started for me in August 1996. Although my dad was keen to take me before this it was a bit of a snowball effect.
There was a "beat the keeper" at the bottom of the Peacocks and if I remember correctly it was against Lol Batty! I was then given a leaflet for the soccer schools which I went to and had Gwynn Berry and Clive Walker as coaches. The soccer schools came with a free ticket to any home match and the rest is history! I would have been supporting, with my dad for 24 years this August.

The above paragraph demonstrates if things are marketed well you can hook people in for life! One small but significant thing we can steal from other clubs (West Ham I think it was) is producing a certificate for attending your very first game (aimed at kids)

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:54 am

At school in the late 70s. A schoolfriend went to Woking, I went down one Saturday and was hooked for life.

Took 5 games before we scored a goal though !. Back then a couple of hundred turned up each week, in the mid eighties it went to double figures, now we've averaged over 1000 for 32 years. Who'd have thought ?
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

Kanu's Nan

Post by Kanu's Nan » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:24 am

My Dad took me to the Everton pre-season friendly in 1992. Been going ever since with the only real pause being when I was at uni and even then I'd go to every game when I was home for study weeks etc.
self appointed protector of the downtrodden

photocard

Post by photocard » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:53 am

I'm a glory hunter me; was taken to a couple of games at the end of the Everton/West Brom season. Didn't go for the 1st couple of months of the next season, then some mates started going, and went to most home and away for the rest of that season. Haven't lived in woking since 96, but still go to most home and a few away (do I get a medal or something?). Although I'd say Arsenal are my premier league team; I am 100% a Woking fan, and if the two ever met, there would be no divided loyalty.

Ian B

Post by Ian B » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:50 am

In 1986, having moved to Woking in 1984. Before then I lived near and watched Leatherhead.
My first match at Kingfield was an exciting game, the FA Cup win against Weymouth.

cardinalcannon

Post by cardinalcannon » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:50 am

Kanu's Nan wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:24 am
My Dad took me to the Everton pre-season friendly in 1992. Been going ever since with the only real pause being when I was at uni and even then I'd go to every game when I was home for study weeks etc.
Don't go much these days though do you ;-)
Like Rio, I offer nothing.

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:14 am

Eggie James did it for me!
July 1978 pre season friendly at home to a Fulham XI and this tall, pacy handful scored a couple of goals in a 2-0 win. A few days later and a 3-2 win over a QPR XI was the clincher. Cycling to games from Jacobs Well rain or shine. Magic.
Now a season ticket holder for Spurs and Woking which thanks to TV rarely overlaps.
Woking FC: Purveyors of outstanding highs and lows to me for 42 years.
www.oldfootballgames.co.uk - always looking to buy old football games

From The Jam

Post by From The Jam » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:10 pm

Gosh there is a lot of youngsters on here - 1969 Woking v Dulwich Hamlet - No idea what the score was sat in the stand with my dad and granddad next to a block with no hands. Strange what you remember.

"For many I’d suggest that is Chelsea 😝" - err no.

tornadosmith

Post by tornadosmith » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:10 pm

1988 Cambridge FA Cup game. First live game of football I saw. Sat in the directors stand. My dad told me it was where my grandad always sat for Woking games through the decades. That was enough for me, was only ever go to be a Woking supporter.

Kanu's Nan

Post by Kanu's Nan » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:52 pm

cardinalcannon wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:50 am
Kanu's Nan wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:24 am
Don't go much these days though do you ;-)
I'd be more inclined to take that from someone who doesn't miss half the games that they do attend due to watching Paw Patrol!
self appointed protector of the downtrodden

jonwoozley

Post by jonwoozley » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:26 pm

Cardsfan wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:14 am
July 1978 pre season friendly at home to a Fulham XI and this tall, pacy handful scored a couple of goals in a 2-0 win. A few days later and a 3-2 win over a QPR XI was the clincher. Walking to games from Jacobs Well rain.
Me too. You tried getting me into Spurs too but that failed miserably.
I was a loyal fan until Sept 1992, I saw all the dross years then moved away as we became good.
I've been to the odd game since.
Dual meditates,
Non habetis argentum.

SussexSeasider

Post by SussexSeasider » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:45 pm

I was never into football. The 1980s saw me and other yoofs terrorising UK seaside towns on Bank Holidays on my Vespas/Lambretta. However my dad, who ran the butcher's shop in Westfield in the 1970s/early 80s (where The Guru is now) had supported Woking since he was a boy and he went every week. I started going with him in 1989, I was getting out of the scooter thing and he was always wanting me to drop him off for football on a Saturday if I was around and pick him up so one day I decided to actually go and see what it was all about. That was it! Been coming regularly ever since and along with Andy Turner, Keith Raymond and Phil Davies helped set up and run the original Supporters Club in the early 90s. And of course its where I met Adrian, Mr Corbett and well, you probably know the rest!

kansasCard

Post by kansasCard » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:53 pm

late 60's early 70's was a West Brom fan. No idea why, then went with my sister to Arsenal Palace one Tuesday night. David Price? scored the winner and I became a travelling gooner for my school and early teens. Pretty sure I knew SussexSeasider from my days on the scooters too. I used to hang around with the Virgin Soldiers in Addlestone. Gave up on Arsenal when they became French. Now the only team I follow is Woking, 33 years or more I can't remember, probably less. No interest in the Premiership or other leagues much at all.
This space intentionally left blank

DavetheBountyHunter

Post by DavetheBountyHunter » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:18 pm

Never had a choice. I can’t remember Saturdays that didn’t involve going to watch Woking - having attended my first game in a pram. Had a brief rebellion in the early 90s, when some of my mates would spend a Saturday afternoon in Our Price, but soon realised that I could make my excuses and get through the park by 3pm (this coincided with us being amazing too) without anyone caring.

I’ve a mountain of respect for those who started watching when we were shit, but from my earliest memories of watching Woking (late 80s), we were nothing short of superb for years and years, with the West Brom/Diadora winning side being (and still are) absolute heroes.
Scorer of possibly the greatest goal in the history of the Woking FC Supporters' team

Card Sharp

Post by Card Sharp » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:27 pm

First game was the Weymouth Cup game in 86 and my dad told me we had a former English international in goal. I am sure the Burger and can of coke he got me helped as my mum would not have approved! I went every now and then but became dedicated from about 89 or 90 onwards and spanned our glory years. As Dave says, the West Brom/ Diadora sides were amazing and legends all. Lost interest to a point in the 00s into early 10s but still went often.

doylie

Post by doylie » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:43 pm

Cardsfan wrote:
July 1978 pre season friendly at home to a Fulham XI and this tall, pacy handful scored a couple of goals in a 2-0 win. A few days later and a 3-2 win over a QPR XI was the clincher
Snap!

I’d been going to Kingfield for a couple of seasons before Eggie James was signed, but seeing Eggie from Moaners’ warming up and playing against a Fulham XI (pictured below) had me totally hooked. He was like a thoroughbred race horse and is still my all time favourite Woking player. Seeing him come back for Maidenhead play against us and score in the mid 80s was a gutting experience.

Memories of the past, visions of the future.
https://twitter.com/cardinal_tales

Since85

Post by Since85 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:47 pm

Supported Addlestone from late 60’s until they folded in85. Decided to support Woking as Johnny Cassidy and Adie Cowler went to Woking plus a couple more
I was getting increasingly worried about the violence following Palace including an on track fight at Thornton Heath station v Brighton.. bonkers!!

trevorinottawa

Post by trevorinottawa » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:14 pm

1957 1st game vs Walthamstow Ave, draw if I recall. One of our neighbours was a season ticket holder, took me to some games with his son. Big crowds in those days, often 2000+. We lived a few minutes from Kingfield and could hear the crowd from home. Some us would cycle down to the ground around half-time when the gateman would open up and let us in for free, sometimes even a bit before half-time! Was one of the unofficial ball boys retrieving balls out of play at the Westfield end. Have always followed WFC since then, regularly until age 18, occasionally when living in London, very sporadically since mid 1980s having emigrated to Canada. Was able to be at two of the Wembley Trophy finals and some of the big FA Cup games. Best ever was 3-5aet vs Swansea with a 6000 or so crowd at Kingfield. Watched the FA Cup game vs Watford last year on live TV here, still listen in to the excellent BBC Surrey commentary most games.

top of the C

Post by top of the C » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:34 pm

27th October 1990, Bath City at home in Q4 of the FA Cup.
grew up watching the mighty Bees (lost every week just about), then Leicester at college.
then Altrincham when based in Manchester.
when we came back i watched Brentford a few times, but they were still crap, the journey was awful, and there were fights most weeks.

saw a poster stuck to a lampost in Woking advertising the cup game and went along to see what all the fuss about this total football team was about.
i swear the ball never left the ground that day, and i went home hooked.

saw all the big games that season then became the first people to buy season tickets in the old wooden stand from the next season.
that team still lives in the memory - great results, great players, and great style.
(and some real characters who were as Woking thru and thru as the fans)

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:56 pm

Lance Pedlar score that day
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

celtic card

Post by celtic card » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:18 pm

I’m Scottish, but lived in Woking between the ages of 3 and 10. First game I ever went to was a Celtic one, with my Dad and my Grandad. (Celtic 1-1 Dundee Utd, if anyone cares...) My second game was a friendly between Woking and a team that began with ‘O’. Possibly Oxshott? Would’ve been mid-80’s. I distinctly remember my young self being quite fascinated with the name ‘Buzaglo’. I think both brothers played.

Moved back to Scotland in ‘89 and delighted from afar as we enjoyed a pretty great era in the 90’s, starting with that great side that tore West Brom to shreds. My parents had friends in Woking who sent me cuttings from the Woking News & Mail and the English nationals during that cup run. Still got those somewhere...

I’m a Celtic fan primarily but my interest in Woking was re-ignited a few years ago when two things happened:

1. Rangers got demoted and Scottish football became significantly poorer and less interesting as a result. Following Celtic got a bit boring for a few years.
2. I moved back to England around the time Garry Hill got us promoted and realised that there were probably a few away games that I could go to.

I try to go to the closest games to me each year. This year, that’s tomorrow at Notts County. I’m hoping for Kings Lynn and Boston to go up from the NLN this year!

Derek

Post by Derek » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:30 pm

doylie wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:43 pm
Cardsfan wrote:
July 1978 pre season friendly at home to a Fulham XI and this tall, pacy handful scored a couple of goals in a 2-0 win. A few days later and a 3-2 win over a QPR XI was the clincher
Snap!

I’d been going to Kingfield for a couple of seasons before Eggie James was signed, but seeing Eggie from Moaners’ warming up and playing against a Fulham XI (pictured below) had me totally hooked. He was like a thoroughbred race horse and is still my all time favourite Woking player. Seeing him come back for Maidenhead play against us and score in the mid 80s was a gutting experience.

Was that Maidenhead game a trophy game? 3-4?

Eggie James

Post by Eggie James » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:35 pm

In 1977 starting going with my grandfather. Loved Billy Martin.Dave Alexander and Johnny Cassidy but Eggie was my hero. Work took me away in 80s before coming back in 97 with my son. Yes missed the best except odd game.

doylie

Post by doylie » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:47 pm

Derek wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:30 pm
Was that Maidenhead game a trophy game? 3-4?
From memory, I think it was. I talked to Lloydie about it recently, he had to mark Eggie, which he found weird as he was a childhood hero of his too. iirc Maidenhead came back from behind to win, I think Batty (and maybe Stewart Mitchell?) were playing and Caterer and Lippiatt were in charge of them?
Memories of the past, visions of the future.
https://twitter.com/cardinal_tales