Wall-the complete player

Since85

Wall-the complete player

Post by Since85 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:24 am

Completely inept, glad Dowse made him suffer for the full game,however my Granny was disappointed not to replace him.

Card Sharp

Re: Wall-the complete player

Post by Card Sharp » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:14 am

He got 20+ goals last season though.

Since85

Post by Since85 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:52 am

The Notts County Centre half will bring his deck chair if he has to mark him.

cardtrick

Post by cardtrick » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:02 pm

he had a bad game for sure; however he has always scored goals at or around this level - often against us!

hes been out injured for a while and the glass half full approach is that the rustiness will wear off

WFC96

Post by WFC96 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:37 pm

Diarra had a few poor games when he first joined us and people were calling for his head. He’s turned into one of our best and most reliable players.

It almost always takes players that have been out of the game for a while to get back to match fitness. A player that has scored 20+ goals in a season has quality and if we’re able to get him back to that form then we’ll have a class striker on our hands. I’m not willing to write him off after 2 starts and a handful of sub appearances.

Growler

Post by Growler » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:05 pm

Thankfully I couldn’t get there last night.
I’ve liked Wall to date. Big muscular and moving about but yep, busy without looking dangerous - but similarly I hope he’ll come good now he’s playing again.

I like Hyde, for all his faults, but surely we’ve got to give the bigger man a go as Hyde is basically running (well, actually more like slow walking) a lone furrow upfront at the moment.

As I said, I missed yesterday, so I’m looking for opinions*
Was there no hope for Wall?? Doesn’t he offer a physical presence that our stuttering play needs right now?

As has already been said, it’ll be interesting to see if he can work with Tarpey (but I’m not convinced the manager agrees or he’d have tried that surely?!?)

*even Meerkat’s! Opinions don’t always have to be informed, eh?
As yet uninvited to Plug’s WhatsApp group

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:12 pm

He took a few free kicks on Saturday and although they were off target, should one be between the sticks it’ll take anyone near it in with it. Ferocious power was the best description.
Personally I’m not sure on him yet but certainly think he would work well with Tarpey alongside him

KT15 Card

Post by KT15 Card » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:52 pm

Have we tried Wall and Tarpey together in a 2 yet? think it's the only combination we haven't used!

Currycard

Post by Currycard » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:04 pm

Seen Wall play various times over the years including as a teenager at Maidenhead United and he's always played in a similar way. He can be a very frustrating player which I guess is why he never made it in the football league with Luton Town (I remember John Still making various comments about his game along the lines of has the talent but we don't see it enough) as he's very much an inconsistent player. A real pain on his day but can lack the quality to score on a regular basis (apart from last season at concord) and is often used as a target man to rough up opposing defenders and allow other forwards to have more space to punish teams. He's a bit of a no nonsense kind of player but I can't see him setting the league alight with Woking but he may bag a few goals to help us reach a decent level of points this season which is very much mission accomplished as if we really wanted to push for the play offs then our recruitment would have reflected that.

AndyT

Post by AndyT » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:49 pm

It's good to see we give players a chance at our club and don't make our minds up after a couple of full matches............................

mussy

Post by mussy » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:00 pm

AndyT wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:49 pm
It's good to see we give players a chance at our club and don't make our minds up after a couple of full matches............................
Spot on Andy.
If he has a Woking shirt on I will support him.
He has been with us for 2 minutes - give the man a break.

kansasCard

Post by kansasCard » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:30 pm

I'm happy that we signed him, people were calling for an option to push Hyde and we have one. I don't know what tactics or style of play suits him but I'm sure all the ducks will fall correctly soon. There's a list of players as long as your arm that went on to do far better than we would credit them for based on performances at Woking. Hopefully Dowse will give him a fair chance and not tinker too much.
This space intentionally left blank

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:41 pm

Joined us needing to get match fit, in a struggling side, at the highest level he's ever played at. He has played slightly less than two games worth of National League football so far. Honestly bemused that this is even a thread.

Insider

Post by Insider » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:45 pm

The lads had little game time so its only reasonable to expect that it will take time to gain proper match fitness as well as playing with a new group. Judge him at the end of the season when and if he gets a run in the side

Since85

Post by Since85 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:55 pm

Chobham Card, isn’t Luton a fair standard?

kansasCard

Post by kansasCard » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:03 pm

Since85 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:55 pm
Now - maybe yes. But back when Wall went to them they had been in the Nat Con for a hundred years.

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:19 pm

Since85 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:55 pm
Sure, but it was also 7 years ago and he played less for them then he did for Dartford in a single 3 month. He actually appeared for Luton 7 times in League Two, but got less minutes in all of those games than he has for us since he arrived, so I don't think that really counts.

Interestingly I mistakenly assumed that Dartford were an NSS club when he was there, but they were a National side too. He contributed 11 goals in 11 appearances there.

Card Sharp

Post by Card Sharp » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:59 pm

I am happy to give Wall a chance. I want him and every person who pulls on a Woking shirt to succeed.

People defending him go on about how he scored 20 or so goals last season. Well done lad. How many has he scored this season for us and Hemel? It is easy to see why he did not play at Luton as I am sure Andre Gray was there at the time.

Wall could offer something different but he appears to be injury prone. He is not match sharp or match fit, clearly. Can we afford to have that in our squad at the moment.

Hampshire Card

Post by Hampshire Card » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:11 pm

This thread is stupid. Getting on a player’s back before completing 90 minutes in a COMPETITIVE first team game, an SSC game means f@ck all. He’s obviously got ability, maybe if you left him alone he’d deliver rather than putting pressure on him from minute one

wokingbob

Post by wokingbob » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:42 pm

As with others, I think it's a crisis of confidence with him. He needs to break his duck and relax into the team. He fluffed a few good chances last night after looking nervy and trying too hard. Remember how Moussa flourished once we were singing his name?

Glass half full, he will come good.
Optimism IS my middle name. Trust in Dowse.

Meerkat

Post by Meerkat » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:12 pm

Or he could be the new Theophanous

kansasCard

Post by kansasCard » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:59 pm

Meerkat wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:12 pm
Or he could be the new Theophanous
or the new Greco Cox that most gave no chance either......,

GladToBeHere

Post by GladToBeHere » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:13 am

Or Ollie Palmer, given the physical presence of the man by all accounts...!

pooh

Post by pooh » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:39 am

I am all for giving Wall my full support but he needs to be showing signs of improving and doing the job he was employed to do. Presumably he's not the fox in the box type of player so I presume he plays the target man role. Unfortunately all the games I've seen him play in so far, he hasn't fulfilled that role. He doesn't seem to win many headers even against smaller centre backs, his hold up play isn't great and for a big man, he falls over very easily. As a centre forward, when he gets chances to score by headers or shots on goal, he seems to fluff his lines which is probably confidence. Maybe I've been spoilt by seeing Warren Patmore play that role. Centre backs knew they'd been in a game when the played against him. I will of course give him my full support whilst he wears the Woking shirt and hope the player he has been in the past shows itself again.

Perth Card

Post by Perth Card » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:45 pm

Warren Patmore, that brings back memories. That guy could hold up and control an incoming tank shell. And he didn't seem to be offside half the time.