Matt Jarvis

Post by Hampshire Card » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:28 pm

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/sport/footb ... ssion=true
Article on GetSurrey suggests he is very close to joining

Adz

Re: Matt Jarvis

Post by Adz » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:46 pm

Please!!!

Even in that QPR friendly you could tell his class by the way he beat his man and put crosses in

Junction 8

Post by Junction 8 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:04 pm

Love this, but why release a news story that essentially alerts other local clubs of a potential bargain? Would it not have been better to just announce the signing when/if done?

Viking Card

Post by Viking Card » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:51 pm

Junction 8 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:04 pm
Love this, but why release a news story that essentially alerts other local clubs of a potential bargain? Would it not have been better to just announce the signing when/if done?
Yep, this.

I just don’t see the benefit in this story. If he signs and can offer something then great. If he doesn’t for reasons mentioned in the story then it’s just pointless. If he goes some where else then everyone just looks stupid.

Why he persists in this sort of thing I’ll never know.

jonwoozley

Post by jonwoozley » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:04 pm

Viking Card wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:51 pm
Junction 8 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:04 pm
Yep, this.

I just don’t see the benefit in this story. If he signs and can offer something then great. If he doesn’t for reasons mentioned in the story then it’s just pointless. If he goes some where else then everyone just looks stupid.

Why he persists in this sort of thing I’ll never know.
Maybe the agent released it?
Dual meditates,
Non habetis argentum.

Viking Card

Post by Viking Card » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:09 pm

It’s a Youlton piece with Dowson quotes.

BoingBoing

Post by BoingBoing » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:17 pm

Get Surrey are notorious for posting rubbish. I hope he comes to Woking but won't hold my breath.

top of the C

Post by top of the C » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:41 pm

Maybe GetSurrey said they were going to publish the story, and Dowse/directors reckoned it’d be more encouraging to Matt Jarvis if the club made it very clear we wanted him, rather than a quote less story potentially letting him think we didn’t care.

Viking Card

Post by Viking Card » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:50 pm

top of the C wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:41 pm
Maybe GetSurrey said they were going to publish the story, and Dowse/directors reckoned it’d be more encouraging to Matt Jarvis if the club made it very clear we wanted him, rather than a quote less story potentially letting him think we didn’t care.
You think we decided to release a story via a local rag in an attempt to reassure a football player that we cared about him?

Ha ha ha ha.

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:44 am

There's two options here.

A) Dowse doesn't know that an interview in a regional newspaper will have the faintest impact on a signing in regional football,

or,

B) Dowse has reason to believe that a late offer from another side, further away from Jarvis's family/where he came up in the game/where he's currently based, wouldn't affect the potential deal in the offing.

Realistically Jarvis would be spending time with us to regain the standard he has, which is very obviously not in non-league. He'd be off in the summer.

This article doesn't worry me one bit, and if we do sign him, I'll bet someone on here £20 that we make the playoffs. Loser puts his money towards Boost the Budget and buys the other a pint.

Junction 8

Post by Junction 8 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:53 am

Chobham Card wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:44 am
Dowse has reason to believe that a late offer from another side, further away from Jarvis's family/where he came up in the game/where he's currently based, wouldn't affect the potential deal in the offing.
Your point relies on the counter-offer being from a non-local side. What’s stopping the Shots or Dorking (to name just two local teams at the same-ish level) from making an approach now the cats out of the bag?

Rio

Post by Rio » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:26 am

Chobham Card wrote:

A) Dowse doesn't know that an interview in a regional newspaper will have the faintest impact on a signing in regional football,

or,

B) Dowse has reason to believe that a late offer from another side, further away from Jarvis's family/where he came up in the game/where he's currently based, wouldn't affect the potential deal in the offing.

Realistically Jarvis would be spending time with us to regain the standard he has, which is very obviously not in non-league. He'd be off in the summer.

This article doesn't worry me one bit, and if we do sign him, I'll bet someone on here £20 that we make the playoffs. Loser puts his money towards Boost the Budget and buys the other a pint.
Bet accepted.

DavetheBountyHunter

Post by DavetheBountyHunter » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:42 am

Rio wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:26 am
Chobham Card wrote:

or,

Bet accepted.
I’ll accept that bet too. No doubting Jarvis’ quality, but I can’t seem him playing every game based on his recent fitness record.
Scorer of possibly the greatest goal in the history of the Woking FC Supporters' team

KT15 Card

Post by KT15 Card » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:54 am

Can he play on 3G?

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:58 am

Why can't we just sign a player and then announce it?

This happens far too many times either in the press or from Dowse himself only to then find we couldn't get it done
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

photocard

Post by photocard » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:20 am

Kingfield Ender wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:58 am
Why can't we just sign a player and then announce it?

This happens far too many times either in the press or from Dowse himself only to then find we couldn't get it done
Do people really think other clubs in the area wouldn’t have been aware of his status before this press release? For one thing it was widely commented on that he played in a friendly for us.

I understand your frustration KE, but the club can’t win. Fans moan when there’s no information, moan when there is. I don’t mind the announcements, it’s fun to get excited about potential signing. Whilst I’m well aware that sometimes they don’t happen for many reasons.

Generally I more than happy with the clubs communication over the last two years. Yes Dowse seems to have a thin skin when it comes to criticism, not unusual for managers; I’d rather that than Limbrick’s PR trained bland interviews.

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:41 am

Here's the correct information we should give out 'We've signed someone and here are the details'

That's it

Its no fun getting excited about someone you don't sign that ends up elsewhere. How will we feel if Jarvis has a blinder for Aldershot against in March after this ?

JAM

Post by JAM » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:54 am

Im also a little concerned that we have let the cat out the bag. As we know there are a number of clubs around this area that may well see that article and thing 'why don't we have a gamble on him', both in NL and in the lower regions of the FL. I assume its all down to whether Jarvis himself wants to or is fit enough to got FT, or wants to play PT.

If it happens, then its a great coup for the club, but I wont get too excited until the signature on the paper is dry.

Mr Jones

Post by Mr Jones » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:10 am

If he just took the set pieces and sat down for the rest of the game he’d make a difference.

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:36 am

Can he do something other than floaty or headed away by the first defender?

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:57 am

Junction 8 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:53 am
Chobham Card wrote:
Dowse has reason to believe that a late offer from another side, further away from Jarvis's family/where he came up in the game/where he's currently based, wouldn't affect the potential deal in the offing.
Your point relies on the counter-offer being from a non-local side. What’s stopping the Shots or Dorking (to name just two local teams at the same-ish level) from making an approach now the cats out of the bag?
I'm also assuming that he'd almost play for free given that the money we offer him wouldn't touch what he's already worth, so for once our small budget might actually be immaterial - he's not gonna get offered £200 more a week by Dorking and leave halfway through his medical for the cash.

If that's the case, it depends on a lot of things - the impression we've made, whether he's buying into what we're trying to do, what he thinks of Dowse. Dowse isn't stupid, so if we're talking about this so openly, I'd trust his judgement on it. Might end up with egg on my face, but still.
DavetheBountyHunter wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:42 am
Rio wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:26 am
Bet accepted.
I’ll accept that bet too. No doubting Jarvis’ quality, but I can’t seem him playing every game based on his recent fitness record.
Done and done. No more or you'll skint me!

top of the C

Post by top of the C » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:06 pm

Viking Card wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:50 pm
top of the C wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:41 pm
You think we decided to release a story via a local rag in an attempt to reassure a football player that we cared about him?

Ha ha ha ha.
not what i wrote at all - don't know why you have to go 'ha, ha'.
newspapers publish what they want - we don't decide what they publish; but we might get a chance to add a quote before they go t press, which is all i'm suggesting.

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:08 pm

We should put out a story we're interested in Messi and Suarez. One of them might go 'shit, Woking want me, see you later lads'

Insider

Post by Insider » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:05 pm

The lad played in a friendly so it would be common knowledge in the game very quickly .... most of the points here yet again are irrelevant. Damned if you say stuff and damned if you dont. i would imagine that the lad if he has got anything about him would have committed to come if the club went to the trouble of getting scans paid for. He wants to get into media so Martin Tyler likely is an asset for him

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:14 pm

We should have called him Matt Trialist