Shaun Donnellan and Kane Ferdinand

Red and White Army

Shaun Donnellan and Kane Ferdinand

Post by Red and White Army » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:07 pm

Can someone please advise what either of them are any good at? Just one attribute for either that’s above average.

Passing it backwards and running away doesn’t count.

AndyT

Re: Shaun Donnellan and Kane Ferdinand

Post by AndyT » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:11 pm

Answers on a postcard to WFC

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:13 pm

If they're in form: winning headers, harrying the opposition, transitioning the ball to creative players, protecting the backline with their work rate.

Right now: ...

DavetheBountyHunter

Post by DavetheBountyHunter » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:19 pm

I think the issue is balance in the midfield. Kane always looked at his best when he was the athlete alongside someone else who gets on the ball and makes things happen. With Donellan and Poku, he doesn’t have that. Donellan looks like he should be a big defensive shield for the defence, but it hasn’t worked for ages. Poku has been immense, he deserves more alongside him IMO.
Scorer of possibly the greatest goal in the history of the Woking FC Supporters' team

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:27 pm

Chobham Card wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:13 pm
If they're in form: winning headers, harrying the opposition, transitioning the ball to creative players, protecting the backline with their work rate.

I’ll give you headers as a strength for Kane. Debatable for Donnellan.

Transitioning to creative players is covered by ‘pass it backwards/sideways and run away’.

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:32 pm

Red and White Army wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:27 pm
Chobham Card wrote:

Transitioning to creative players is covered by ‘pass it backwards/sideways and run away’.
On the basis of the first 8 weeks of the season Donnellan is a briliant aerial asset. Not as much since he's come back from the cold.

Your latter point is an easy out. Ferdinand came back half-crippled for the last 20-minutes of Wealdstone and glided through the midfield. He is very much a form problem rather than a quality problem.

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:47 pm

Chobham Card wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:32 pm

On the basis of the first 8 weeks of the season Donnellan is a briliant aerial asset. Not as much since he's come back from the cold.

Your latter point is an easy out. Ferdinand came back half-crippled for the last 20-minutes of Wealdstone and glided through the midfield. He is very much a form problem rather than a quality problem.
In the league below against an already tired Wealdstone teamwork were sitting back trying to defend a lead. Guided through midfield is a huge exaggeration imo.

Stuwfc

Post by Stuwfc » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:08 pm

Just fucking go

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:27 pm

Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:07 pm
Can someone please advise what either of them are any good at? Just one attribute for either that’s above average.

Cutting in on his left foot and curling it in the corner, apparently.

kansasCard

Post by kansasCard » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:46 pm

Getting Donnellan off of Ferdinand's toes and vice versa sounds like it gave Kane a little more room to influence.
Before I start on Donnellan at RB (Another CH come midfielder) How'd he do overall? Great goal by all accounts.
This space intentionally left blank

KRE_Matt

Post by KRE_Matt » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:47 pm

Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:27 pm
Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:07 pm

Cutting in on his left foot and curling it in the corner, apparently.
Surprised he didn't get a nosebleed being that high up the pitch!

Jokes aside, thought he was exceptional today, won almost all his headers, and kept the right hand side from being exposed. I've wondered if he was good enough for this league talent wise. Today was the correct way to start answering those doubts.

BoingBoing

Post by BoingBoing » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:58 pm

both were much much better today.....all 3 newbies had good games too. Didnt miss Gerring. All round great team performance

Adz

Post by Adz » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:10 pm

Redemption! Both played really well today.

Since85

Post by Since85 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:13 pm

“Why we bother” moment when that goal went in, they looked rightly shocked!

kansasCard

Post by kansasCard » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:54 pm

so with Donnellan seemingly playing out of his socks at RB... where does this leave Jack Cook at the moment? If he can't edge out Gerring as sub.. he's kicking his heels for a few weeks maybe?
Can't change it for Tuesday (makes no sense at all to change it Tuesday Dowse... not none, you can't, you'd be a silly billy... etc)
This space intentionally left blank

DavetheBountyHunter

Post by DavetheBountyHunter » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:01 am

Cook would surely be on the bench ahead of Collier (for quality) or Gerring (for mobility and versatility), If Donnellan keeps up yesterday’s level of performance - which was really good.

Not wanting to put a dampener on things, but whilst he did really well, he was playing against a former club, was apparently read the riot act after some less than convincing displays in recent weeks and didn’t exactly have the world’s best/trickiest winger up against him. Let’s see how he does after a few games before deciding he’s the right back we’ve wanted for 18 months. Signs were good yesterday, but as a Woking fan, I’m conscious that something always goes wrong for us.
Scorer of possibly the greatest goal in the history of the Woking FC Supporters' team

Baldman

Post by Baldman » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:20 am

Did I read earlier in the season that Donnellan is actually a defender who wanted to convert to midfield which is why he came to us? Or did I imagine that?

WokingandRichmondFC

Post by WokingandRichmondFC » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:08 am

Baldman wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:20 am
Did I read earlier in the season that Donnellan is actually a defender who wanted to convert to midfield which is why he came to us? Or did I imagine that?
Think he played CB last year

GlenH

Post by GlenH » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:46 am

Baldman wrote:
I seem to remember he said he chose to sign for us over other teams as Dowse promised him the chance to play in his preferred midfield position. I wonder if he'll be another Joey Jones and come out in the summer saying he's looking forward to playing in defence as that's always suited him more.

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:14 pm

WokingandRichmondFC wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:08 am
Baldman wrote:
Think he played CB last year
Yeah, every game he played for Yeovil was at CB. Did similar for Walsall in League One.

PatsWFC

Post by PatsWFC » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:20 pm

DavetheBountyHunter wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:01 am

Not wanting to put a dampener on things, but whilst he did really well, he was playing against a former club, was apparently read the riot act after some less than convincing displays in recent weeks and didn’t exactly have the world’s best/trickiest winger up against him. Let’s see how he does after a few games before deciding he’s the right back we’ve wanted for 18 months. Signs were good yesterday, but as a Woking fan, I’m conscious that something always goes wrong for us.
This ^^ - I’ve been very critical of Kane and Shaun this season, however credit where credit is due as they were both great yesterday, I doff my cap to them for that.
But as DBH touches on, let’s not wet our pants in excitement over a decent RB performance in one game and think all our prayers are now answered.

Stuwfc

Post by Stuwfc » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:38 pm

PatsWFC wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:20 pm
DavetheBountyHunter wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:01 am

This ^^ - I’ve been very critical of Kane and Shaun this season, however credit where credit is due as they were both great yesterday, I doff my cap to them for that.
But as DBH touches on, let’s not wet our pants in excitement over a decent RB performance in one game and think all our prayers are now answered.
Anything dtbh says it put it in the bin . Calls himself a fan like bollox

DavetheBountyHunter

Post by DavetheBountyHunter » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:05 pm

I think this is aimed at me, but I’ve read it three times and have no idea what he means. Could someone translate? Sometimes I wish I didn’t pay attention at school, so I could speak Stu.

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:57 pm

Chobham Card wrote:

Update after tonight: don’t pass it at all and run away.

He’s shit.

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:28 am

I thought Shaun Donnellan looked very comfortable at right back last night
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one