Woking fans – support our new stadium regeneration

Spitfire

Re: Woking fans – support our new stadium regeneration

Post by Spitfire » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:54 pm

Sorry Cardsontour. Really appreciate you spreading the good word but I stopped half way through as their numbers and facts are so far wrong they bore me and the quotes are ridiculous.
We, as fans will stick to the facts (already sorted the Loop road farce) and I’ll correct all the above in due course.

Hats off to you for integrating our brothers and sisters from other clubs. I’ll buy you a beer to say thank you.

I believe in this project and understand others won’t like it which is fair enough but I won’t stand for lies to make up for ignorance. Decision based on truth.

If only our parliament thought the same.

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:37 pm

Last night swag had a meeting about our proposed stadium 'suitable for football and RUGBY'

Erm......
Still Plugging away in the absence of the great one

skippy

Post by skippy » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:09 pm

Spitfire wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:54 pm
Sorry Cardsontour. Really appreciate you spreading the good word but I stopped half way through as their numbers and facts are so far wrong they bore me and the quotes are ridiculous.
We, as fans will stick to the facts (already sorted the Loop road farce) and I’ll correct all the above in due course.

Hats off to you for integrating our brothers and sisters from other clubs. I’ll buy you a beer to say thank you.

I believe in this project and understand others won’t like it which is fair enough but I won’t stand for lies to make up for ignorance. Decision based on truth.

If only our parliament thought the same.

that the club together with the developers want to build 1048 high-rise flats in a low-rise area Seems correct to me.
- housing density up to 20 times greater than the surrounding areas This isn't correct,it's about 10x
Council guidelines: Buildings should not exceed 5 stories and 70 dwelling per hectare. Seems correct to me.
The project will be 10 stories and 982 dwellings per hectare. This isn't correct, resi is about 120dph not 982.

- only 725 allocated parking spaces for 1048 flats, when councils own stats show that 1400 needed Seems correct to me.
- 18% affordable housing versus councils own guidelines of 40% Seems correct to me.
- none of the planned 36 houses will be affordable housing Not sure this is correct, I thought some of the Egley Road were affordable
- segregation of affordable housing tenants Not sure this is correct, I thought they were split around the blocks
- no additional road development to deal with increased traffic Seems correct to me.
- only 60 parking spaces in total for officials and disabled visitors on match days for a stadium of 10K Seems correct to me, but no worse than it is now.

They have missed out that this development does not do much to meet the council shortfall on housing units, it delivers an excess of types Woking exceeds its requirement on and hardly any that there is a massive dearth of.

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:13 pm

Erm Rugby not worry anyone?

Nonsense Potter

Post by Nonsense Potter » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:46 pm

Kingfield Ender wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:13 pm
Erm Rugby not worry anyone?
Why?
Scorer of possibly the greatest goal in the history of the Woking FC Supporters' team

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:09 pm

Because we're a football club, not a fucking rugby club

Rio

Post by Rio » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:14 pm

Kingfield Ender wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:09 pm
If it makes us self-sufficient without resorting to 3G pitches, we can be whatever fucking club we need to be.

Cardinals Rule

Post by Cardinals Rule » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:17 pm

Kingfield Ender wrote:
It has, if I recall correctly, been explained at forums, etc, that the width of the playing surface has been increased in the plans, necessitating a reduction in seating, to allow for the possibility of rugby - for example, for schools, or should Woking FC go out of business-, but that there were no plans for a ground share.

Red and White Army

Post by Red and White Army » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:48 pm

Because rugby cuts up a pitch more than football.

Plus it’s a terrible sport to watch.

If we have rugby at the new ground, is there going to be a bottle bar with piss available from Tarquin and Piers to prove how laddish they are?

Nonsense Potter

Post by Nonsense Potter » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:50 pm

Kingfield Ender wrote:
One that’s made a profit once in about 25 years. If we shared with a rugby club that gave us the ability to either challenge for promotion or eventually take us to League two, why wouldn’t we look at it?
Scorer of possibly the greatest goal in the history of the Woking FC Supporters' team

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:05 pm

Because we'll lose our identity like York City

Woking FC not 'Woking Sports Village'

Whoring ourselves out ?

Nonsense Potter

Post by Nonsense Potter » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:18 am

That means more to you than financial stability and potential for success in the future? Maybe I’m in a minority, but I couldn’t care less if we were ground-sharing with a rugby team. I’d take that situation every day over administration and points deductions thanks.

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:17 am

You wont be so happy if we're the minor party in this relationship and the tenant in what used to be our own ground.

Meerkat

Post by Meerkat » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:18 am

I think the concern is that the Woking CEO is more interested in getting a rugby club to Woking.
Once they were in the council, who will own WFC, might lose interest in the football and will have an ongoing sports use of the stadium if WFC went pop.

Kingfield Ender

Post by Kingfield Ender » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:00 am

My thoughts exactlly.

Want to play second fiddle in our own home to London Irish / Welsh?

cardinalcannon

Post by cardinalcannon » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:19 am

Are we not all broadly in agreement that no development means that we will go pop or be forced to seriously spiral downwards?

If so, worrying about needing to potentially share the stadium some where down the line shouldn't be just cause to abandon the whole prospect.

If what is rumoured about upcoming maintenance requirements is true, we could be playing in a half closed stadium because certain parts have been condemned. Given there's little infrastructure in two sides of the ground, it doesn't take a genius to work out that the condemnation of the remaining two sides would cripple the club by denying us much of our income.
Like Rio, I offer nothing.

Nonsense Potter

Post by Nonsense Potter » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:54 am

Kingfield Ender wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:17 am
You wont be so happy if we're the minor party in this relationship and the tenant in what used to be our own ground.
I’d be far happier in that scenario than having no club or watching AFC Woking play at Westfield.

Has anyone told you that there will be a rugby club sharing? If so, has someone told you that the rugby club will take priority? I’ve had multiple conversations with club directors about all of this and no one’s suggested any of that as a likely scenario. The bloke who runs the council prefers rugby to football, but he’s a civil servant who doesn’t even have an interested rugby club at present. At the AGM the directors said that there is a plan to protect the club after the development goes through. Do you have more information about this than them?

Cardinal96

Post by Cardinal96 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:13 am

cardinalcannon wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:19 am
If what is rumoured about upcoming maintenance requirements is true, we could be playing in a half closed stadium because certain parts have been condemned. Given there's little infrastructure in two sides of the ground, it doesn't take a genius to work out that the condemnation of the remaining two sides would cripple the club by denying us much of our income.
Where has this actually come from? The LGS, KRE, away terrace and moaners meet Green Guide standards for the most part, and we would meet league requirements with those alone. Surely the bar and changing rooms are structurally sound?

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:17 pm

This Rugby business is a bit of a Red Herring.

That Rugby club is going to play here?

There are no “local” premiership Rugby Union clubs whatsoever.

Woking Rugby Club would have no need of this facility.

The nearest Rugby League team have a home in Ealing.

I’d suggest the word Rugby is on the plan because the stadium could facilitate both, not because it will.

Ashcard

Post by Ashcard » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:54 pm

There is a bit of an overreaction here. The clue is in the title 'Woking community stadium'. To get this through surely the council have to justify it to the good taxpayers of Woking. It is capable of hosting Rugby and even non sporting events and needs to sell as being able to do so, but as Adrian says it does not mean it definitely will.

Mick.M

Post by Mick.M » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:01 pm

Cardinal96 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:13 am
cardinalcannon wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:19 am
Where has this actually come from? The LGS, KRE, away terrace and moaners meet Green Guide standards for the most part, and we would meet league requirements with those alone. Surely the bar and changing rooms are structurally sound?

doylie

Post by doylie » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:05 pm

Looks like KE and Meerkat have had a big bowl of SWAG Paranoid Doubt Mongering Bollocks for breakfast and swallowed the lot. I’m now expecting them both to be OUTRAGED, scowling and pointing at the MONSTROSITY skyscrapers in the town centre, attending a candlelight vigil for the loss of Robinson’s and Blockbuster Video whilst permeating a strong smell of wee.
Memories of the past, visions of the future.
https://twitter.com/cardinal_tales

Nonsense Potter

Post by Nonsense Potter » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:23 pm

I’m pretty sure Mingie is a member of SWAG. When I last saw him another passer by shouted “SWAnGer” of something similar, which I guess is a reference to his stance against high rise flats in south Woking.

Meerkat

Post by Meerkat » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:53 pm

I support the development, just concerned about who will own the club (and having to go to Farnborough for two years!!)
The talk of rugby has been around right from the start. There not being a local club would just be seen as an opportunity by someone like Morgan....

Two of Diamonds

Post by Two of Diamonds » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:30 pm

Meerkat wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:53 pm
I support the development, just concerned about who will own the club (and having to go to Farnborough for two years!!)
The talk of rugby has been around right from the start. There not being a local club would just be seen as an opportunity by someone like Morgan....
I wouldn't trust Morgan either. Something else other than Woking FC can be the only reason for the Council 'insisting' on a 10k capacity stadium.

London Irish are moving into Brentford's new home but London Welsh, having had to drop down to the bottom of the rugby pyramid, may well be something to watch. They've already had 2 promotions back up and are top of table again. In 4 years time when the new stadium is supposedly finished, they could well be back near the rugby equivalent of the Championship.

And there is always the ongoing fiasco at Coventry/Rico Arena. Who knows if Wasps could be tempted back down South?

Either way there is a massive Surrey rugby market with no top flight team between Twickenham (Harlequins) and Gloucester/Bath/Bristol. Exeter's rise has been in part due to support gleaned from the whole of Devon, Cornwall, West Dorset and South Somerset - not just within Greater Exeter itself.