Woking fans – support our new stadium regeneration

Noaksey

Re: Woking fans – support our new stadium regeneration

Post by Noaksey » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:17 pm

Nico wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:40 pm
I would say the plans are to get a stadium to progress to the football league but increasingly it is obvious that it needs to happen to even aim to stand still - it is also about sustainability and, in effect, survival. The repair costs in the next few years are scary. The current ground has been there 100 years and the new one needs to aim to be there for at least as long; there is no second go at this. To say the capacity should be just 5000 is ridiculous IMO and it has been clearly stated that reducing the capacity doesn't actually save much in terms of overall cost. The plans of 9000 have considerable standing which, if they had to change in the next century to seating would bring the capacity down anyway.

In terms of traffic you quote a one off issue with roadworks at a very exceptional time for an area less than a mile from a major town centre; I live in central Guildford now and believe me in all my travels to the club at all hours travel is not IMO a huge problem. The traffic surveys have been done officially and at all hours and the overall plans have been audited by independent planners and architects and positively approved. The statement that the gym club, David Lloyd and snooker club virtually equals new traffic can be verified by the official reports and I was there when this was presented to the Council.

There is a lot more could be said but I would simply say I appreciate some of the issues raised but I have spoken to quite a few very local residents who are very comfortable/ even excited with what has been presented and it also brings a huge amount of community benefit to an ambitious and growing town. The club has been there for 100 years and this is a self contained development which brings medical benefits, retail benefits, education benefits, green benefits, affordable housing benefits, community work benefits and a stadium which will be set up for a sustainable club for the future; not sure what the alternative for the club would be in the long term

Not wanting to get into an extended dialogue but putting the other side
[/quote]

I agree that WFC needs a mordern stadium as the old one has reached its sell by date, but not to the detriment of the local area. The Stadium needs to embrance the local area as it stands at the moment and not become a blott on the landscape. Over developing of the area with large 11 storey residential blocks do not fit in with the surrounding areas. Also where would all the supporters park if a capacity of 9k was realised. There would only be one answer and that is to park in the surrounding roads which would clog up the main artery around the ground bringing it to a standstill on match days. Also if WFC did get promotion to the football league the attendance probably would not increase significantly much above 3.5k to 4k.

If you have tried driving past the ground recently during the rush hour periods then you would realise what the current traffic problems are like and which will become alot worst when the development is being built with site traffic and afterwards once the development has been completed. I cannot believe that any survey carried out takes into consideration the local resident and most of it is theoretical.

cardinalcannon

Post by cardinalcannon » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:23 pm

Noaksey, can you elaborate on roughly where you live? I'm guessing somewhere in the near vicinity of the ground?

I'm not sure that I've seen particularly heavy traffic around the ground outside of the immediacy of a match day in years.
Even in rush hours I can't particularly think that the traffic in the whole Kingfield area is any worse than average anywhere else in Woking or the wider area.

The rebuild of the bridge outside the ground about 10 years ago helped immensely with this as you no longer had the bottleneck caused by larger vehicles trying to pass each other.
Like Rio, I offer nothing.

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:30 pm

Noaksey wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:17 pm
I agree that WFC needs a mordern stadium as the old one has reached its sell by date, but not to the detriment of the local area.
I read this a lot, and I am increasingly taking it to mean "without impacting or changing the local area in any way." This is, unfortunately, impossible.

What I would say is that reading the plans that have been put together suggests to me that the benefits outweigh the drawbacks in terms of impact on the local area. I try and tackle the problems you've suggested below, and Nico has suggested more positives. Do let us know if there are other concerns - most of the conversations I've had with those against the build seem to get quite scattergun.
Noaksey wrote:
The Stadium needs to embrance the local area as it stands at the moment and not become a blott on the landscape.
With respect to the old girl, she is already a blott on the landscape. A modern, self-sustaining football stadium unfortunately cannot be built to the height of a two bed semi-detatched, and the club will die without additional revenue streams. This necessitates a tall build.

If you have the choice between a blott on the landscape and a modernised improvement that offers a medical centre with 14,000 capacity, an income of around £18m into the local economy, that is designed to reflect the surrounding aesthetic, that guarantees the future of a community hub that is otherwise destined to die...
Noaksey wrote:
Over developing of the area with large 11 storey residential blocks do not fit in with the surrounding areas.
Again, the current stadium does not fit in with the current landscape. It's a League One stand plonked in the middle of nowhere, with a dirt car park and a pool club on one side, surrounded for the most part by huge metal/brick structures that don't reflect the local area either. The build would reflect the local building design, the foliage, and so on. This is, again, modelled extensively on the council site.

I'd also say that the surrounding areas include a block of flats on Guildford Road which has been there longer than I've been alive, and a town centre which is constructing its first ever skyscraper. It might not look similar to the houses alongside the ground right now, but it's worth considering that Woking Borough Council might not want Woking to look the same forever. "The character of the surrounding area" is a very subjective concept, but when I hear it brought up as an objection to this particular build, people use it like a shield - "YOU CAN'T CHANGE WOKING" - even as the town evolves around (or in spite of) them.
Noaksey wrote:
Also where would all the supporters park if a capacity of 9k was realised. There would only be one answer and that is to park in the surrounding roads which would clog up the main artery around the ground bringing it to a standstill on match days.
Woking has reached the FA Cup Third Round once in the past 24 years, and did so against one of the biggest sides in the country. The attendance was 5,700. Realising a 9k capacity is not a remotely realistic prospect and, if it did, it would be a one-off town-wide event. We can't use one bad day in traffic during a landmark event for the club and the town as the norm for trying to get home.
Noaksey wrote:
Also if WFC did get promotion to the football league the attendance probably would not increase significantly much above 3.5k to 4k.
You are using ballpark figures here - I'd be amazed to see us make a regular 3.5k even in League Two - but even if we do use them it would be greatly mitigated by the 850~ parking spaces being introduced as part of the ground. We are averaging close to 2,000 now and the free parking at Pool in the Park isn't close to being full. Part of that attendance would also be an increase in away fans, which have a far smaller impact on traffic - one coach is capable of bringing 100 fans, taking up the same space as 3 or 4 cars.
Noaksey wrote:
If you have tried driving past the ground recently during the rush hour periods then you would realise what the current traffic problems are like and which will become alot worst when the development is being built with site traffic and afterwards once the development has been completed.
This is a fans board for a non-league club. Do you think we don't drive past the ground?

The modeling conducted to identify the traffic impact, if I'm reading them right, suggests an increase of around 6%. If you're going to say "I don't believe the figures" then that's fine, but the burden of proof is on you - if you can't offer anything more credible, you can't expect people to agree with you.
Noaksey wrote:
I cannot believe that any survey carried out takes into consideration the local resident and most of it is theoretical.
To be clear, you don't believe that a property developer has carried out due process? If that were the case, the development wouldn't have made it this far. The council has seen the original plans and requested changes, which the developer has made in this latest planning permission. So even if you don't believe their methods, the council does.

Stoo

Post by Stoo » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:41 pm

Chobham Card wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:30 pm
Noaksey wrote:
I agree that WFC needs a mordern stadium as the old one has reached its sell by date, but not to the detriment of the local area.
I read this a lot, and I am increasingly taking it to mean "without impacting or changing the local area in any way." This is, unfortunately, impossible.

What I would say is that reading the plans that have been put together suggests to me that the benefits outweigh the drawbacks in terms of impact on the local area. I try and tackle the problems you've suggested below, and Nico has suggested more positives. Do let us know if there are other concerns - most of the conversations I've had with those against the build seem to get quite scattergun.
Noaksey wrote:
The Stadium needs to embrance the local area as it stands at the moment and not become a blott on the landscape.
With respect to the old girl, she is already a blott on the landscape. A modern, self-sustaining football stadium unfortunately cannot be built to the height of a two bed semi-detatched, and the club will die without additional revenue streams. This necessitates a tall build.

If you have the choice between a blott on the landscape and a modernised improvement that offers a medical centre with 14,000 capacity, an income of around £18m into the local economy, that is designed to reflect the surrounding aesthetic, that guarantees the future of a community hub that is otherwise destined to die...
Noaksey wrote:
Over developing of the area with large 11 storey residential blocks do not fit in with the surrounding areas.
Again, the current stadium does not fit in with the current landscape. It's a League One stand plonked in the middle of nowhere, with a dirt car park and a pool club on one side, surrounded for the most part by huge metal/brick structures that don't reflect the local area either. The build would reflect the local building design, the foliage, and so on. This is, again, modelled extensively on the council site.

I'd also say that the surrounding areas include a block of flats on Guildford Road which has been there longer than I've been alive, and a town centre which is constructing its first ever skyscraper. It might not look similar to the houses alongside the ground right now, but it's worth considering that Woking Borough Council might not want Woking to look the same forever. "The character of the surrounding area" is a very subjective concept, but when I hear it brought up as an objection to this particular build, people use it like a shield - "YOU CAN'T CHANGE WOKING" - even as the town evolves around (or in spite of) them.
Noaksey wrote:
Also where would all the supporters park if a capacity of 9k was realised. There would only be one answer and that is to park in the surrounding roads which would clog up the main artery around the ground bringing it to a standstill on match days.
Woking has reached the FA Cup Third Round once in the past 24 years, and did so against one of the biggest sides in the country. The attendance was 5,700. Realising a 9k capacity is not a remotely realistic prospect and, if it did, it would be a one-off town-wide event. We can't use one bad day in traffic during a landmark event for the club and the town as the norm for trying to get home.
Noaksey wrote:
Also if WFC did get promotion to the football league the attendance probably would not increase significantly much above 3.5k to 4k.
You are using ballpark figures here - I'd be amazed to see us make a regular 3.5k even in League Two - but even if we do use them it would be greatly mitigated by the 850~ parking spaces being introduced as part of the ground. We are averaging close to 2,000 now and the free parking at Pool in the Park isn't close to being full. Part of that attendance would also be an increase in away fans, which have a far smaller impact on traffic - one coach is capable of bringing 100 fans, taking up the same space as 3 or 4 cars.
Noaksey wrote:
If you have tried driving past the ground recently during the rush hour periods then you would realise what the current traffic problems are like and which will become alot worst when the development is being built with site traffic and afterwards once the development has been completed.
This is a fans board for a non-league club. Do you think we don't drive past the ground?

The modeling conducted to identify the traffic impact, if I'm reading them right, suggests an increase of around 6%. If you're going to say "I don't believe the figures" then that's fine, but the burden of proof is on you - if you can't offer anything more credible, you can't expect people to agree with you.
Noaksey wrote:
I cannot believe that any survey carried out takes into consideration the local resident and most of it is theoretical.
To be clear, you don't believe that a property developer has carried out due process? If that were the case, the development wouldn't have made it this far. The council has seen the original plans and requested changes, which the developer has made in this latest planning permission. So even if you don't believe their methods, the council does.

Once again, ChobhamCard nails it.
Bravo!

JAM

Post by JAM » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:49 pm

I also agree with the majority of CCs comments, and very well put they were.

However, I have 2 small arguments/points to make

1) The Leisure Centre/Pool in the Park is nearly always full on matchdays and is a nightmare to get out from after the game. I assume (or at least hope) that this would be improved with the development in the area
2) one coach is capable of bringing 100 fans. Not sure that is true

as a Woking fan I am of course in support of the proposal for the new ground, as only want to see the best for the club and the area. As I am not that local to the ground, I don't get to see the problems with the traffic (if indeed there are any) on a daily basis, but I do see where local residents might be worried about this

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:02 pm

JAM wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:49 pm
You can get double deckers with this capacity, majority are around the 80-90 number though.

KT15 Card

Post by KT15 Card » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:07 pm

I regularly arrive to the ground just before KO, and the car park under the 3G pitches is always empty, so no it's not always full.

With or without a new ground, the exit from the car park will have queues. They've been there for as long as I can remember.

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:08 pm

JAM wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:49 pm
I also agree with the majority of CCs comments, and very well put they were.

However, I have 2 small arguments/points to make

1) The Leisure Centre/Pool in the Park is nearly always full on matchdays and is a nightmare to get out from after the game. I assume (or at least hope) that this would be improved with the development in the area

as a Woking fan I am of course in support of the proposal for the new ground, as only want to see the best for the club and the area. As I am not that local to the ground, I don't get to see the problems with the traffic (if indeed there are any) on a daily basis, but I do see where local residents might be worried about this
Totally agree that getting out can be a nightmare, but I'd argue that the car park being genuinely full is rare. We had 1800 for Chorley, and half an hour before the game started there were certainly more spaces empty than full in the section of the car park nearest the ground. I think the only time that the parking under the 5G pitches were full was Watford.

Happy to call it 70/80 instead of 100 - the principle that supporters coaches take a lot of stress off the parking situation still stands, I think. Wealthier and better organised clubs in League Two are far more capable of putting them on than some of the teams in the National, too.

Kanu's Nan

Post by Kanu's Nan » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:35 pm

Chobham Card - any chance you could go and expose some utter garbage on Twitter?

Someone at the very fore of SWAG is stating that they have been told by Woking FC that the club cannot afford to run the new stadium. People believe that kind of shit.
self appointed protector of the downtrodden

KT15 Card

Post by KT15 Card » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:47 pm

It wouldn't be the bloke who spent his divorce settlement money on tinpot posters dotted around the local area?

Stoo

Post by Stoo » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:53 pm

KT15 Card wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:47 pm
It wouldn't be the bloke who spent his divorce settlement money on tinpot posters dotted around the local area?
Oi!

I consider myself as somewhat of a tinpot poster when I write something on here.

Chobham Card

Post by Chobham Card » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:55 pm

Kanu's Nan wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:35 pm
Chobham Card - any chance you could go and expose some utter garbage on Twitter?

Someone at the very fore of SWAG is stating that they have been told by Woking FC that the club cannot afford to run the new stadium. People believe that kind of shit.
Twitter is a cesspit, and the SWAG group itself barely has 200 users. I'm not sure what good it would do but I could try. Have you got a link?

doylie

Post by doylie » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:44 pm

Twitter is an odd one, I run the Woking FC Cardinal Tales history Twitter account and follow the Woking Stadium Twitter, but I can't see the responses from the likes Andy the Leeds fan and Pop Idol Katie as they appear to have deliberately blocked me. That's despite me never responding or commenting on some of the other loony comments.

Planning people are not dumb though, if you look through the responses on the Council site, there are loads which are quite obviously copied and pasted and many that have been placed by the same person multiple times.
Memories of the past, visions of the future.
https://twitter.com/cardinal_tales

LGScard

Post by LGScard » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:36 pm

I see they’re submitting a false advertising claim whilst tweeting £250 million is to be spent on the stadium itself.

I would have more respect if they campaigned without this holier than thou attitude of saving the club. These people would be happy if the town stayed as it is and didn’t continue to develop property for young people who have grown up here like myself.

CardsOnTour

Post by CardsOnTour » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:41 pm

I signed up to this yesterday and shared it on various social media platforms as well.

Just in reference to Doylies comments above - planners are good at ignoring emotive comments but personally I still think this will go to appeal in any event and will be approved by the inspector in due course.

Additional cost implications for WFC/GoalDev of course but that's the way I see this playing out!

If it's recommended for approval by the planning committee, but turned down by the councillors (despite being recommended for approval), WFC/GoalDev should go for costs as well - this is happening on quite a few planning appeals at the moment in Guildford after the new "Residents for Guildford & Villages" Councillors started turning down pretty much ALL applications - even the beneficial ones - after they were voted into a few seats along with the Lib Dems in the local election back in May '18.

Woking Borough Council at least have Ray Morgan at the helm and a commercially minded planning team; hopefully they will see through the guff that is being spouted by SWAG and others.

cardinalcannon

Post by cardinalcannon » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:23 pm

Chobham Card wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:55 pm
Kanu's Nan wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:35 pm

Twitter is a cesspit, and the SWAG group itself barely has 200 users. I'm not sure what good it would do but I could try. Have you got a link?
Of those 200, there's a fair few names that I recognise as Woking fans so it's fair to assume they're there to monitor the activities of SWAG rather than actually support them
Like Rio, I offer nothing.

DavetheBountyHunter

Post by DavetheBountyHunter » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:39 pm

Katie Bowes is currently on twitter claiming that Woking FC (no one is named) have told her that they can’t afford to maintain the new stadium. She’s been challenged, but hasn’t replied.

Something can’t be right. Can someone from the club please challenge her formally on these lies?
Scorer of possibly the greatest goal in the history of the Woking FC Supporters' team

Viking Card

Post by Viking Card » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:57 pm

DavetheBountyHunter wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:39 pm
Katie Bowes is currently on twitter claiming that Woking FC (no one is named) have told her that they can’t afford to maintain the new stadium. She’s been challenged, but hasn’t replied.

Something can’t be right. Can someone from the club please challenge her formally on these lies?
There’s quite a bit of this going on hence my point before. They shouldn’t be allowed to say these sort of things without foundation. Unless it’s true!

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:27 pm

Of course it’s not true. The club can not be seen to be getting into a tit for tat argument with people that are clearly clutching at straws and lying. The latest lie concerns access to the site being through Loop Road. Why would construction go down a narrow residential road when common sense would be off the wide easy access main road of Kingfield Road where they have immediate access to the site? Not some boggy field! Ridiculous.

SWAG are doing a magnificent job of being caught out on their lies and propaganda but making a claim and being unable to back it up with facts. Headlines are great to get support but useless when objections are only valid against facts.

If you had been to the presentations or open evenings you would have seen and heard truthful answers to questions.
The club can afford it, plans are in place but to ask for figures on budgets and incomes is stupid. It’s like asking you sporting rival to show their strengths and list any faults they May have.

SWAG have been at the meetings and with one couple one of them were shaking their head in disagreement while the other was nodding and smiling in agreement as they saw the truth. They were suitably impressed with the presentation. I wouldnt like to be in that relationship now as they realised they had been fed lies.

Meerkat

Post by Meerkat » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:25 am

There is a construction site of some sort off Loop Road isn’t there? Part of the fields is being used for something according to the plans.
Not sure whether it is site offices or materials.
Bit like the bit behind Moaners that was used for building Willow Reach?

SussexSeasider

Post by SussexSeasider » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:48 am

There were a couple of SWAG members invited to hospitality at the Hartlepool game before Christmas - Greek chap Dimitrios and his partner. We were tipped off who he was as he was on our table and we didn't let him know we knew. He'd never been to a game before. He was obviously sounding us out during conversations with him but he seemed to be impressed with the set up and also commented how different and 'personal' the football at our level was compared to Premiership etc. He was up there cheering when we scored, really enthusiastic going mad and was then asking how he would book a table for a future game in the lounge. That was until someone who will remain nameless came in the lounge after the game and said "oh you're the bloke who doesn't like us" or words to that effect (yeah well done on that...!). Anyway, it didn't do any good inviting him as I see he's put at least two objections in on the Council planning portal...

BoingBoing

Post by BoingBoing » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:09 pm

SussexSeasider wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:48 am
There were a couple of SWAG members invited to hospitality at the Hartlepool game before Christmas - Greek chap Dimitrios and his partner. We were tipped off who he was as he was on our table and we didn't let him know we knew. He'd never been to a game before. He was obviously sounding us out during conversations with him but he seemed to be impressed with the set up and also commented how different and 'personal' the football at our level was compared to Premiership etc. He was up there cheering when we scored, really enthusiastic going mad and was then asking how he would book a table for a future game in the lounge. That was until someone who will remain nameless came in the lounge after the game and said "oh you're the bloke who doesn't like us" or words to that effect (yeah well done on that...!). Anyway, it didn't do any good inviting him as I see he's put at least two objections in on the Council planning portal...

prob only accepted the invite for the free grub

SussexSeasider

Post by SussexSeasider » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:12 pm

BoingBoing wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:09 pm
SussexSeasider wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:48 am

I would love to comment on the food that day but better not.

BoingBoing

Post by BoingBoing » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:06 pm

SussexSeasider wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:12 pm
BoingBoing wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:09 pm

I would love to comment on the food that day but better not.
maybe that was the point.....poison the SWAGs then they'd stop objecting..... can you tell I'm bored at work? 😂

CardsOnTour

Post by CardsOnTour » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:56 pm

Just FYI really chaps - I'm a Fulham supporter as well for my sins (cheers dad) and posted a little bit on the main fans forum the other day about WFC - given the links between the two clubs with players such as Kevin Betsy, Harry Arter and the wonderful Elvis Hammond to name a few (and the fact that most of their supporters seem to have moved down to Surrey); I got a generally positive response to my post.

There were a couple of people who simply didn't like this being brought up however and the below sums up the opposition objections quite nicely; despite the chap who posted it having a newly created account and this being his first post.... suspicious much?

Re: NFR - Woking FC

I wont question then motives of the original post but unfortunately it leaves out many keys facts related to the development. Living in the area I have yet to meet a single nimby who is against the redevelopment of the stadium. It is the extras and overall scale of the project that is being objected to. The entire development goes against so many local, regional and national policies that there are too many to list in this reply.
What the nimbys have highlighted is the concern:

- that the club together with the developers want to build 1048 high-rise flats in a low-rise area
- housing density up to 20 times greater than the surrounding areas
Council guidelines: Buildings should not exceed 5 stories and 70 dwelling per hectare.
The project will be 10 stories and 982 dwellings per hectare.

- only 725 allocated parking spaces for 1048 flats, when councils own stats show that 1400 needed
- 18% affordable housing versus councils own guidelines of 40%
- none of the planned 36 houses will be affordable housing
- segregation of affordable housing tenants
- no additional road development to deal with increased traffic
- only 60 parking spaces in total for officials and disabled visitors on match days for a stadium of 10K

Woking FC seem to understand the issues and the clear fact that they do not need a 10K capacity stadium (Woking FC average attendance never exceeding 2100), but it appears that the local council are driving (and bankrolling) this project forward and not the club...

“We have been told that is the size Council require, not what we might wish for” - Rosemary Johnson (WFC Chair)

Does anyone think that FFC would have been able to redevelop Craven Cottage if their plans had included numerous 10 storey towers around the ground?

If you want to get an idea of the proposed scale of plans compared to existing profile of the area...

https://southwokingactiongroup.org.uk/w ... -07-37.png

Having been involved in various fights for FFC to stay at the Cottage in the last 25 years I have every sympathy possible for football clubs looking to improve their stadiums and secure their futures. As stated you will struggle to find many local residents who oppose a redevelopment of the football ground, but this development is about a totally unsuitable housing development and the ££££ the
developer, the local council and the club are looking to earn from it.