New ground plans

Rio

Re: New ground plans

Post by Rio » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:32 am

Reading Card wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:27 am
I know its meant to be all doom and gloom on cardsboard but those mock up drawings look amazing.
The drawings are fantastic. Far superior to what I thought they would be.

However that's not the problem. Convincing local residents to have a 9 stories high tower block (even if it is blocked out by trees) I assume five times over and 1000 apartments/ 500-800 cars all on the football club site- yeah good luck with that....

Reading Card

Post by Reading Card » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:48 am

Convincing local residents to have a 9 stories high tower block (even if it is blocked out by trees) I assume five times over and 1000 apartments/ 500-800 cars all on the football club site- yeah good luck with that....
I know fuck all about planning , how does it work ? How much of a say do residents get ?

The council is behind the project which surely helps ?
Surely there is a plan B ie 5 stories ? 9 sounds really high btw !

We just need consent from the same stupid fucker who signed off Woking towers in the town centre - you can see that horrible tower from 30 miles away

skippy

Post by skippy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:25 am

They'll have 750 car parking spaces under the resi blocks, this is above the local planning requirement.
To give them credit they've graded the buildings away from the stadium so the height has less impact on the nearby housing, looks like the drop to 4/5 storeys on the Westfield Avenue side.
It's not just this development that will be the issue, it's the fact it will set a new precedent for building height south of the town, thin end of a bloody big wedge.
The impression I got was that they need at least 900 units to make the whole thing viable, particularly as they can't build as much as they intended on Egley Road.

Ian B

Post by Ian B » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:37 am

I hope the properties on Westfield Tip weren't sold with the promise of amazing rooftop views.

cardtrick

Post by cardtrick » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:57 am

Currently they have a view of portacabins, a half derelict football stadium with no barrier to sound and floodlights and the back of David Lloyd

wfc462

Post by wfc462 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:58 am

Reading Card wrote:
I know its meant to be all doom and gloom on cardsboard but those mock up drawings look amazing.
They do look good but it seems evident to me that the focus is on the housing and not the stadium amenities, I guess understandable but the board and the trust need to try and bring some more balance.

4,400 sq ft of commercial space. Is that on top of that reserved for the club's own use does anyone know?

4400 sq ft @ 20 quid per sq ft per annum is 88k per year if completey occupied.

what other facilities are there for the club from the development?

SussexSeasider

Post by SussexSeasider » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:00 am

Oh there's plenty of negativity out there - still those who have it in for Mr Gold without any solid proof of anything - none of us know exactly about him - you can Google all you like it doesn't prove anything. Then I've also had something from someone who lives in Kingfield absolutely slagging WFC, we're a bunch of turds apparently and all the upset it will cause the 'locals'. His agenda is he hates football and that is simply it, it has nothing to do with the fact he lives in the area, the redevelopment etc. - he just knows nothing about football and hates it and thats where he's coming from!

Card is King

Post by Card is King » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:02 am

Just quickly looking at the CGIs I think there is around 500-700 flats there.

In response to the comment about how much of a say residents get, I’d say 5%. Basically nothing. It’s what the council and their councillors want. If the council listened to objections, nothing would ever get built. This development will go ahead IMO providing the developer get the planning for the maximum about of flats

Card is King

Post by Card is King » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:05 am

wfc462 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:58 am
Reading Card wrote:
They do look good but it seems evident to me that the focus is on the housing and not the stadium amenities, I guess understandable but the board and the trust need to try and bring some more balance.

4,400 sq ft of commercial space. Is that on top of that reserved for the club's own use does anyone know?

I would be fairly certain you wouldn’t be looking at £20 a foot. I would imagine around £8-13 at best.

wfc462

Post by wfc462 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:16 am

Card is King wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:05 am
wfc462 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:58 am

I would be fairly certain you wouldn’t be looking at £20 a foot. I would imagine around £8-13 at best.
Yeh I took a top end estimate comparing it to this https://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/commer ... 4409f88b5c

You'd assume within a development like that of 1000 flats there'd be a strong demand for retail space. there is nothing in the immediate area.... save for Sainsburys etc further down kingfield road. Either way, it's not exactly a material step change in terms of making the club self sufficient if that's all we're getting as part of the development (+ a few corporate boxes)

cardinalcannon

Post by cardinalcannon » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:19 am

SussexSeasider wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:00 am
Then I've also had something from someone who lives in Kingfield absolutely slagging WFC, we're a bunch of turds apparently and all the upset it will cause the 'locals'. His agenda is he hates football and that is simply it, it has nothing to do with the fact he lives in the area, the redevelopment etc. - he just knows nothing about football and hates it and thats where he's coming from!
Sounds remarkably like the attitude of a Mr R Shatwell, known opponent to anything and everything imaginable it seems
Like Rio, I offer nothing.

SussexSeasider

Post by SussexSeasider » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:20 am

cardinalcannon wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:19 am
SussexSeasider wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:00 am
Then I've also had something from someone who lives in Kingfield absolutely slagging WFC, we're a bunch of turds apparently and all the upset it will cause the 'locals'. His agenda is he hates football and that is simply it, it has nothing to do with the fact he lives in the area, the redevelopment etc. - he just knows nothing about football and hates it and thats where he's coming from!
Sounds remarkably like the attitude of a Mr R Shatwell, known opponent to anything and everything imaginable it seems
No its not him, unfortunately there's another one...

Reading Card

Post by Reading Card » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:28 am

people don't like change and developments on their door step- that's understandable
Currently they have a view of portacabins, a half derelict football stadium with no barrier to sound and floodlights and the back of David Lloyd
This is a very good point.

If its done properly it will add value to property

simonM

Post by simonM » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:58 pm

My concerns are the impact the development will have on the local infrastructure, the roads are already a nightmare around the stadium, 1000 flats and 600 to 700 car park spaces, most homes have at least 2 cars, so where are the other 1400 going to park. Are they going to have a doctors surgery there, the local doctors to kingfield is already over subscribed. I'm all for the football ground development being a supporter, but I will need a lot more convincing as a kingfield resident before I will back this.

AndyT

Post by AndyT » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:27 pm

doylie wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:21 am
There are a few on my Cardinal Tales Twitter, but I'm sure the website will go live shortly as they are presenting to local residents from today.

As I've said before I couldn't make last night's presentation as I was enjoying England's demolition of Australia at Edgbaston so haven't seen the plans or pictures (I hope to do so on Tuesday) but looking at that picture it would appear that the ground is moving across to occupy what was David Lloyds and the bulk of the property is along Westfield Avenue and behind one end...............

Growler

Post by Growler » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:45 pm

Don’t like it for two reasons:
- Where are the effing floodlight towers??
Kingfield is only properly Kingfield when you get the glow from behind the houses on a wet Tuesday night.

- Also, since it all falls away from (near-right) High to Low (far left) corner-to-corner, the ball will just be stuck in the left corner all the time. Where’s the fun in that?
As yet uninvited to Plug’s WhatsApp group

SussexSeasider

Post by SussexSeasider » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:48 pm

AndyT wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:27 pm
doylie wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:21 am
There are a few on my Cardinal Tales Twitter, but I'm sure the website will go live shortly as they are presenting to local residents from today.

As I've said before I couldn't make last night's presentation as I was enjoying England's demolition of Australia at Edgbaston so haven't seen the plans or pictures (I hope to do so on Tuesday) but looking at that picture it would appear that the ground is moving across to occupy what was David Lloyds and the bulk of the property is along Westfield Avenue and behind one end...............
Yes Andy you have interpreted that correctly, that is exactly what is going to happen.

SussexSeasider

Post by SussexSeasider » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:50 pm

Growler wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:45 pm
Don’t like it for two reasons:
- Where are the effing floodlight towers??
Kingfield is only properly Kingfield when you get the glow from behind the houses on a wet Tuesday night.

- Also, since it all falls away from (near-right) High to Low (far left) corner-to-corner, the ball will just be stuck in the left corner all the time. Where’s the fun in that?
Re. floodlights - they have updated what we are having but it isn't shown on that. Martin Tyler advised that ones installed along the top of roofs either side of the pitch tend to dazzle goalkeepers. Therefore they did show a revised image which showed a floodlight tower in each corner

Cardinal Red

Post by Cardinal Red » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:25 pm

The pictures look pretty good although I’m not sure about the slant on the roof, I think that looks good from above but from the image inside the ground it looks a bit odd.
It’s certainly an exciting time for the club and the club needs to make sure it gets maximum revenue opportunity from as many units around the ground as it can be it flats or shops. Remember that this Gold fella won’t give a flying toss about the football club, he wants profit, profit, profit from the development so hopefully we have some good negotiators on our side.

Let’s be honest if any of us lived on Westfield Avenue and weren't fans of the football club we’d be pretty pissed off with that kind of development on what is generally a nice little road given the development that has already gone on opposite the ground, I can understand why there might be some opposition to it but as somebody has said, residents don’t get much of a say anyway.

Did they say when this is all likely to begin if it’s approved? Just thinking of when we’ll be looking for a temporary home.

skippy

Post by skippy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:01 pm

doylie wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:51 am
No, there are access roads roads between all three blocks and another road (where the current David Lloyd access is) to the final part of the development behind the away end which all lead on to Westfield Avenue.
You are indeed correct, there are access roads from Westfield Avenue, sadly none of these connect to the car park entrances which are all off of the road that will be pedestrianised for matches.
Cardinal Red wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:25 pm
Remember that this Gold fella won’t give a flying toss about the football club, he wants profit, profit, profit from the development so hopefully we have some good negotiators on our side.

Let’s be honest if any of us lived on Westfield Avenue and weren't fans of the football club we’d be pretty pissed off with that kind of development on what is generally a nice little road given the development that has already gone on opposite the ground, I can understand why there might be some opposition to it but as somebody has said, residents don’t get much of a say anyway.
Gold won't be the owner, it will be the Leslie's, they like football and seem to give a toss.

I suspect the people in the new development may prefer to look onto another development, which will be of similar height by the time it gets to Westfield Avenue, than look at portacabins, open car park and the side of the LGS.

kansasCard

Post by kansasCard » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:11 pm

Reading Card wrote:
They do .... I can't freakin wait for building to start..
This space intentionally left blank

doylie

Post by doylie » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:02 pm

skippy wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:01 pm
You are indeed correct, there are access roads from Westfield Avenue, sadly none of these connect to the car park entrances which are all off of the road that will be pedestrianised for match
I’ve only seen the design renders of the 3 blocks next to the new Stand and that doesn’t show car park accesses on the vista next to the new main Stand that they propose to pedestrianise on matchdays. Have you actually seen flat plans of the 3 blocks with the access there then skippy? It would make sense to move the car park access onto the roads that lead of Westfield Avenue if that’s the case.

Memories of the past, visions of the future.
https://twitter.com/cardinal_tales

wokingbob

Post by wokingbob » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:03 pm

The plans look awesome. Shows real ambition for the club and with a growing town, a good strategy and reasonable outline plans for non match day revenue, this will make the club financially viable and set foe EFL football.

Current plans see the club move out in May 2021, with a two year build plan, although the ambition is to get the club back in earlier if possible.

At the meeting, the biggest applause for supporters suggestion was for better arrangements for families.

The retail space on the outside of the ground is in addition to the club and corporate facilities. The bar will be 70% bigger and it was suggested that it would make a good sports bar on some non match days.

The subject attracting the most emotion ladt night was, believe it or not, parking closely followed by the ground-share arrangements for the 2 year absence.

From a fans and football perspective it looks great. The club has accommodated the most common wish list issues from the fans survey which over 300 responded to.

Yes there's some more work to do to finalise plans, based on some council comments (they saw the plans on Wednesday), fans and residents consultation and of course getting the plans approved (due for submission in September) but with our support, its looking good.

Planning permission will require the stadium to be completed fairly early in the overall project, so it feels secure.

This is the most critical moment in our club's history. Without fulfilling the plans we are not financially viable. It was great to see that all off this is linked to taking the club forward. Parking, buses, ground-sharing and building height are minor challenges compared with the prize on the other side.

After 2 hours of a solid presentation and all questions answered, I for one am impressed with the concept, the balance and conditions for the housing. I will be putting my energy into supporting this as much as I can and it all starts now.
Optimism IS my middle name. Trust in Dowse.

Meerkat

Post by Meerkat » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:23 pm

But....has it got a gate 3?

Serious question - how will the away end work? Given where the station is and most park it is never easy doing segregation....

Stjohn

Post by Stjohn » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:15 pm

Same people that designed Leicester city, York city and the Man Utd development of old Trafford. The plans look impressive.

Will take two years to develop the ground while building work also starts on phases one and two of the tower blocks.

All of the tower blocks will be completed over five years.

That’s what I heard today